Has anyone actually used littlepassports.com - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 09-15-2010, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've seen it referenced here, but I couldn't find any reviews that weren't advertisement.

I have a feeling that my kids would adore the idea of it, but I am not sure about the content / quality of items included. I'd like to use it as a fun spring board into our own explorations, but still, if the materials are mostly worksheets, that wouldn't work with our learning style.

Are the on-line games mostly memory / recall of facts games, or are they actually fun to play? And how well done?

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#2 of 15 Old 09-15-2010, 08:57 PM

I get it for my 7yo. He loves it! He's not a reader, so he needs help with the worksheet and the online games, but he still really enjoys it. Each month he gets a letter, 2 little "souvenirs" from the country that they visited, a sticker for his passport, and pin sticker to put on his big map, a photo, and a luggage tag with your code for the online games. It's nothing fancy, but he loves to get mail, and loves adding his new treasures to his suitcase. (Your first kit is a suitcase, a passport, a big map, a photo, etc).

I think it would be a fun way to begin learning about different countries. I usually check out a few books from the library on whatever country Sam and Sophia go to for the month, and we usually make a recipe or two of food from the country as well!

Hope that helps!

Jen...wife to Shawn...Radically Unschooling Mommy to Connor (4/03), Autumn (1/07) Aiden (1/08) and Ella (10/14/09) Just had the of our dreams!
#3 of 15 Old 09-15-2010, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenners26 View Post
I get it for my 7yo. He loves it! He's not a reader, so he needs help with the worksheet and the online games, but he still really enjoys it. Each month he gets a letter, 2 little "souvenirs" from the country that they visited, a sticker for his passport, and pin sticker to put on his big map, a photo, and a luggage tag with your code for the online games. It's nothing fancy, but he loves to get mail, and loves adding his new treasures to his suitcase. (Your first kit is a suitcase, a passport, a big map, a photo, etc).

I think it would be a fun way to begin learning about different countries. I usually check out a few books from the library on whatever country Sam and Sophia go to for the month, and we usually make a recipe or two of food from the country as well!

Hope that helps!
Thanks! Could I ask you a couple of questions?

How are the on-line games? How many, and what type? Are they mostly geared towards memorizing facts?

What is the quality of the map included, and its size?

Thanks again.

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#4 of 15 Old 09-16-2010, 03:07 AM

The map is pretty decent sized. It hangs on his wall...I'm terrible at this, but I'd guess it's maybe 2 feet by 3 feet-ish?? There are usually 3 online games. Things like puzzles of the map of the world, scrambled words, I think there was a soccer-themed game when they went to Brazil. They're cute...7yo thinks they're a lot of fun.

Jen...wife to Shawn...Radically Unschooling Mommy to Connor (4/03), Autumn (1/07) Aiden (1/08) and Ella (10/14/09) Just had the of our dreams!
#5 of 15 Old 09-18-2010, 06:27 PM

My 8yr old DD gets this, but doesn't play online at all at the moment. She is just fascinated with getting the mail. LOL. I am toying with the idea of renewing our subscription. They have 12 new countries. Eventually, I hope she will get into the online games and it would spark her interest to learn more about each country.

I love the idea of making a dish from said country. I'll have to try that! Thanks!

K. Michelle ~ Single, working (and still homeschooling) Mama to dd (S) 8/02 and ds (A) 9/07
#6 of 15 Old 09-19-2010, 03:59 AM

i've been toying with getting this too.. i could jsut do it myself but im lazy

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#7 of 15 Old 09-19-2010, 08:41 AM

My kids are 6 and 5 and flipping LOVE this!

They love the tiny suitcases. I thought they were going to pass out when they got "real diamonds!" from Brazil.

We don't play the online games much but once a month or so, we have geography day using LP and just go nuts.

I hated Japan because I hate origami. That's pretty much my worst complaint.

The information is light in these. We use it to jump off into online or book research. I consider it more toy-ish than school-ish but it does get the kids enthusiastic about geopgraphy.

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#8 of 15 Old 09-19-2010, 11:12 AM
AAK

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxravnos View Post
Yeah, for my kids--it will be much cooler to have it come in the mail and to be something that mom didn't do. Mom versions of things are the norm around here! Also, I could send it to them I guess, but that would seem so pointless.

I am ordering this--so glad to finally hear from people who have used it.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#9 of 15 Old 09-19-2010, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxravnos View Post
Yeah, I can't decide whether I should do it myself, or subscribe. The game that they have won't be of interest for my kids, but I know they would love the letters, and will be interested to explore the countries further via a documentary or just googling and so on. I wish the package was less work-sheety, but on the other hand, not sure I am motivated enough to create a package (x12) myself

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#10 of 15 Old 09-19-2010, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer3141 View Post
My kids are 6 and 5 and flipping LOVE this!

They love the tiny suitcases. I thought they were going to pass out when they got "real diamonds!" from Brazil.

We don't play the online games much but once a month or so, we have geography day using LP and just go nuts.

I hated Japan because I hate origami. That's pretty much my worst complaint.

The information is light in these. We use it to jump off into online or book research. I consider it more toy-ish than school-ish but it does get the kids enthusiastic about geopgraphy.
So you got them a suitcase each? Can it be done with one?

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#11 of 15 Old 09-19-2010, 03:48 PM

I think it'll work better if you get each child their own set. There are stickers every month. There's a present every month.

The paper would be reproducable but the cool stuff isn't.

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#12 of 15 Old 09-20-2010, 11:00 PM

We got "Egypt" today. It was perfect for us since we're doing that in HO right now.

I'm not going to give away what the present is but I do know from our using them from Amazon that the present is over $11, retail to me.

My kids almost passed out from delight when they saw what it was.

But I really appreciated the care and cost of the packs today. They were WELL worth it.

#13 of 15 Old 09-21-2010, 12:34 AM

ok, that is one of the coolest things I've ever seen! I have a precocious almost 4 yr old and a slightly immature 11 yr old (still loves seseame street) and I think I'm going to get them this. Thanks so much for sharing about this. Does anyone know of other great monthly 'get in the mail' kinds of things for the kids?
#14 of 15 Old 09-21-2010, 01:08 PM

Link please?

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#15 of 15 Old 09-21-2010, 06:51 PM

Lorrie, that's a good question!! I wish someone would come out with something like LP for science or history!!!

Angel, wake up darling! It's in the thread title!!
(I feel like giving my fellow classical mom friend a big hug and some coffee. )

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page