Have you ever taken a year "off" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 09-16-2010, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
in order to hyper focus on one area that is lacking in all of your children?

I'm thinking about putting away all other studies and do just math this year. I'm thinking about making everyone under high school age do math starting with kindergarten basics and moving up until their own level. - letting them move at their own pace, BUT following the exact same path so nothing gets left out.

What do you think? Ever do something like this? Did it actually help?

Caefi
#2 of 2 Old 09-16-2010, 02:18 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Actually have found that for my kids and for myself immersion in a subject is a great way to learn. There was a year when my ds was 9-10 where math was his only area of formal academic study; he learned brilliantly. My dd has had years devoted almost entirely to music. But I think it's crucial that the desire for that intensive approach come from the child. If your kids are excited about math, and/or are keen to really dive in and make progress, and/or enjoy working at it, this could be a great approach. I find that when we do something like this there's often a big spill-over of learning into other areas, because optimistic engaged kids are great natural learners. So while my ds was working on all that math, he improved in his handwriting and reading and all sorts of other things. Capitalizing on enthusiasm is always a great thing.

If on the other hand your kids resist math and dislike it, I think that unless there's some very dire reason why they need immediate remediation you might run into big problems with this. Nobody likes doing stuff they know they're not good at, especially if it's squeezing out the stuff they enjoy and feel successful at. If you have a kid who loves reading, history and electronics, but lags in math, I think you'd be far better off milking those areas of enthusiasm for ways they might intersect with math, rather than saying "sorry, until you fix your math lags, no more of the stuff you enjoy."

If your kids don't much like math, or feel unsuccessful at it, I would work on trying to fix those feelings by changing how you approach it. Come at it from their area of interest. Mix things up, make it more playful, involve your kids in discovering ways to make math meaningful and enjoyable.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page