History Channel History of America DVD - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 09-19-2010, 10:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have found that all the history channel stuff is quite a bit more graphic and violent than other series. We tend to steer clear of anything from the History Channel - but I did request my copy of this DVD too. Figure it will be useful in the future at some point.
#32 of 37 Old 09-19-2010, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needle in the Hay View Post
Maybe try This Is America, Charlie Brown. My son really liked (still does) that one.
Thanks for this.

mom of 3 , homeschooling the oldest with google and the internet
#33 of 37 Old 09-20-2010, 01:46 AM

I haven't gotten ours either! Dangit!

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#34 of 37 Old 09-20-2010, 10:40 AM

still waiting for ours, here.

Wife, mom to 6 great kids!...avid crafter, music lover,  reader, gardener!

homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif novaxnocirc.gif homebirth.jpg

#35 of 37 Old 09-20-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayCrepes View Post
We signed up for the free 12 hour history of America DVD that was being provided to educators (including homeschoolers.) We recently received it and played some of it last night. We were shocked. Maybe if our son was older it wouldn't have been such a big deal, but for our 4 year old it was too much.

Now, I'd expect some recreation of battle scenes, but when we started out with the pilgrim era we thought we'd be okay. One of the first scenes they show is a man being burned at the stake for killing his pregnant wife with plans to eat her. You can imagine how a 4 year old would react to seeing a person being burned (he wasn't actually on fire, but he was tied up and surrounded by flames.)

So we looked through the table of contents. Most chapters were about wars so we figured we'd just pass by on those. "Cities" seemed a safe bet. All was fine until they showed a fire in a sweat shop. One young woman was dragged onto the elevator towards safety as she screamed for her sister. The narrator stated the sister died. That's when we turned it off and cuddled our son and told him sometimes bad things happen in life. However, because of that fire they now put sprinklers and smoke detectors in buildings and they make sure people can get out of the buildings if there's a fire. Don't know if it's true (per se) but he felt better.

So, if you got this dvd and you're planning on watching it, just be aware that it's not appropriate for all kids. I'll probably watch more on my own, but certainly not with my kids for many years.
Our's just arrived. just the end of last week. I am excited.

However, DH and I watch most of on the channel when it was first shown so i knew it is "way beyond" the age of my 4, soon to be 5, year old -- who is obsessed with ww2 air history. I knew when i requested it i was building our resource library for later and it'd not be something for the kids for a long time.

I am looking forward to viewing the extra stuff myself (and DH).

I am so sorry you had that experience, i have found in life in general i preview EVERYTHING even G-rated kids movies before my kids see them. makes my life better.

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#36 of 37 Old 09-20-2010, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We just got it and I haven't opened it yet. We'll probably watch it, though. DD was just fine with the Aztec Massacre episode of Secrets of the Dead we watched last week. I doubt Story of Us will disturb her.

I would have drawn the line if she was still 4yo, though! Then again, I let her watch Lord of the Rings when she was 4...but that's fantasy, not things that actually happened being depicted.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#37 of 37 Old 09-21-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapientia View Post
still waiting for ours, here.
Me too.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page