History Channel History of America DVD - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 09-18-2010, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We signed up for the free 12 hour history of America DVD that was being provided to educators (including homeschoolers.) We recently received it and played some of it last night. We were shocked. Maybe if our son was older it wouldn't have been such a big deal, but for our 4 year old it was too much.

Now, I'd expect some recreation of battle scenes, but when we started out with the pilgrim era we thought we'd be okay. One of the first scenes they show is a man being burned at the stake for killing his pregnant wife with plans to eat her. You can imagine how a 4 year old would react to seeing a person being burned (he wasn't actually on fire, but he was tied up and surrounded by flames.)

So we looked through the table of contents. Most chapters were about wars so we figured we'd just pass by on those. "Cities" seemed a safe bet. All was fine until they showed a fire in a sweat shop. One young woman was dragged onto the elevator towards safety as she screamed for her sister. The narrator stated the sister died. That's when we turned it off and cuddled our son and told him sometimes bad things happen in life. However, because of that fire they now put sprinklers and smoke detectors in buildings and they make sure people can get out of the buildings if there's a fire. Don't know if it's true (per se) but he felt better.

So, if you got this dvd and you're planning on watching it, just be aware that it's not appropriate for all kids. I'll probably watch more on my own, but certainly not with my kids for many years.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#2 of 37 Old 09-18-2010, 06:32 PM

I totally agree with you-- there are several scenes in that series that are likely to be too much even for elementary school kids, IMO. Definitely pre-screen!

FYI, the Triangle Shirt factory scene only gets worse after the point where you stopped. They show the girls leaping out of the windows.
#3 of 37 Old 09-18-2010, 06:38 PM

To be fair, I don't think they were aiming it at kids that young!

I swear I remember ordering the dvd, but I haven't gotten it.
#4 of 37 Old 09-18-2010, 06:39 PM

Is this the History of America or the Story of Us? Just wondering because we just got the Story of Us in the mail and I was wondering if I should preview it before watching it with my 4- and 5-year-old.
#5 of 37 Old 09-18-2010, 06:41 PM

Having watched a lot of stuff on the history channel and given that this was a program for schools I wouldn't have even thought to show it to a 4 year old. Their stuff just isn't geared towards that age group.
#6 of 37 Old 09-18-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmama369 View Post
Is this the History of America or the Story of Us? Just wondering because we just got the Story of Us in the mail and I was wondering if I should preview it before watching it with my 4- and 5-year-old.
It's the Story of US. Absolutely preview it. I wouldn't show it to my 4 year old.
#7 of 37 Old 09-18-2010, 07:56 PM

Good to know. Thanks for the heads up.

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#8 of 37 Old 09-18-2010, 08:16 PM

eek yes thx!

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#9 of 37 Old 09-18-2010, 08:31 PM

My almost-10 year old watched this when it was on TV and was excited when the DVD came in the mail the other day. I may let 7yo dd watch it, but not the 5yo or 3yo.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#10 of 37 Old 09-18-2010, 08:39 PM

we just received ours last week, and agree- it is for older (meaning able to handle the heaviness, etc) audiences for sure! its good though, and great cuz its free!

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
#11 of 37 Old 09-18-2010, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldamomma View Post
It's the Story of US. Absolutely preview it. I wouldn't show it to my 4 year old.
That's it. I was clueless. I figured it was geared to elementary students so should be fine. Boy was I naive.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#12 of 37 Old 09-18-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBomb View Post
I swear I remember ordering the dvd, but I haven't gotten it.
Me too! We haven't gotten it either. I figured it was a good thing to add to our materials for future years, but I got the impression from the description that we'd be hanging onto it 2-3 years before we watched it. Thank you for the warning!

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#13 of 37 Old 09-18-2010, 09:44 PM

Wow, thanks for the heads-up. We just got ours last week and I was wondering if I needed to preview it. Guess it's going back on the shelf for a few years.

Lauren
Mama to one awesome little girl and her adorable baby brother.
#14 of 37 Old 09-18-2010, 11:43 PM

Thanks for the heads up! I am sure many who got it may not realize that!

We did get ours, and I set it aside with our History curriculum for the future b/c I knew it would be 'too much' right now for my (almost) 5 year old. I vaguely remember catching pieces of it when it was on the History Channel and knew from that, that it wasn't something we would use for a while...

Gabriele familybed1.gif DS (11/05) - homeschool.gif computergeek2.gif
...it is nothing like school, and we are never at home...so why is it called homeschooling?

#15 of 37 Old 09-18-2010, 11:59 PM

Thanks for the warning!

Um... is it too late to get in on this? A free history DvD would be awesome!

I'm me. In love with this guy. We're bringing up two girls: Big A (8) and Little A (3)

#16 of 37 Old 09-19-2010, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybaby333 View Post
Thanks for the warning!

Um... is it too late to get in on this? A free history DvD would be awesome!
They had an end date for the promo, but it wouldn't hurt to email them. Google history channel.

I emailed them asking them to put age ranges on any future promos.

#17 of 37 Old 09-19-2010, 12:20 AM

Yikes! $40. I wish I'd gotten in on that!

Sorry your daughter was freaked out, OP.

I hope the rest of you are able to make it work for your home educating purposes.

I'm me. In love with this guy. We're bringing up two girls: Big A (8) and Little A (3)

#18 of 37 Old 09-19-2010, 12:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Mine just came in the mail today. I had read some warnings about the content on the WTM forums, so DH and I will watch the DVD ourselves but we'll shelve it for a few years before showing it to DS1.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#19 of 37 Old 09-19-2010, 12:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yeah, I too watched the discussion on the WTM forums. The DVD is aimed at high school aged kids. I'd like to know how biased the show is myself, vs. how historically accurate.. but man, sitting through 12 hours of video just to preview it for my son is just too much for me! And we're not even doing US history this year. So, I tossed it into the dark corners of our video collection.

North Idaho rural living treehugger.gif mama to: 22 yo DD, 15 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. stillheart.gif And someone new coming this Christmas! stillheart.gif

#20 of 37 Old 09-19-2010, 12:34 AM

Ours actually arrived today. Thanks for the heads up, my kids are young. Might have to put it away for a couple of years.
#21 of 37 Old 09-19-2010, 02:11 AM

We got ours in the mail a couple of days ago (I had completely forgotten about signing up for it way back when). Thanks for the heads up. My daughter was going to watch it with my MIL, and neither of them like anything intense/scary. Guess we'll put it away for a few years.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#22 of 37 Old 09-19-2010, 04:02 AM

I didn't think it was actually very good but it will be a good jumping off point for some discussion and correction.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#23 of 37 Old 09-19-2010, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybaby333 View Post
Yikes! $40. I wish I'd gotten in on that!

Sorry your daughter was freaked out, OP.

I hope the rest of you are able to make it work for your home educating purposes.
It is $40???!?!? Wow!!

It is NOT worth that IMO.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#24 of 37 Old 09-19-2010, 05:51 AM

No fair, I haven't gotten ours yet. The adults in this house are big fans of history shows, particularly ones that make us think "gee how inaccurate may that be" and then cause us to go looking to see what really happened lol. I figured based on it being a History Channel thing that it wouldn't be a good choice for my girls yet, so it will stay on our high shelf in the bedroom until we feel they are old enough to watch such things.

Cat- FT ministry student and Sonlight hsing momma to a wild crew of girls
Melissa 4/03, Lydia 5/04, Kimberly 1/06, and Jordan 9/07

And waiting impatiently on baby Isaiah ******* to appear around 3/12

#25 of 37 Old 09-19-2010, 06:04 AM

Maybe try This Is America, Charlie Brown. My son really liked (still does) that one.
#26 of 37 Old 09-19-2010, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittie313 View Post
No fair, I haven't gotten ours yet. The adults in this house are big fans of history shows, particularly ones that make us think "gee how inaccurate may that be" and then cause us to go looking to see what really happened lol.
I also find watching something and just getting familiar with whatever it is suffices to have a keener interest in it when it comes up again (we have lots of history books). Then he'll usually want to watch the dvd again and when there are discrepancies we can look into other sources too. It's a lot of fun.
#27 of 37 Old 09-19-2010, 01:36 PM

Thank you so much for the warning.
Ours showed up this last week and I was planning on starting up watching it on Monday as part of our history curriculum. I may wait another week so that I can preview it really well.

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

#28 of 37 Old 09-19-2010, 02:13 PM

I agree with abimommy, I didn't think it was that great really. They already showed it on tv anyway.
#29 of 37 Old 09-19-2010, 09:54 PM

Yikes! My US History teachin' husband has seen it & almost showed it to my 7, 5 & 3 year olds today. I'm hoping he was just being forgetful! I can't imagine those scenes even being appropriate for high schoolers.

stephanie asl.gif

#30 of 37 Old 09-19-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koru View Post
Yikes! My US History teachin' husband has seen it & almost showed it to my 7, 5 & 3 year olds today. I'm hoping he was just being forgetful! I can't imagine those scenes even being appropriate for high schoolers.
The way they were presented would be ok for most middle schoolers in my opinion. I haven't watched the entire series, but there wasn't gore in the stuff I saw, just an acknowledgment that sometimes life is brutal. You can't teach history and leave out the tough stuff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page