need play-doh recipe with specific requirements! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 09-20-2010, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need a recipe for play-doh that meets the following criteria:
1) Will NOT--I repeat, will NOT--stain clothing (oil stains or dye stains)
2) Will last a long time without getting moldy and gross
3) Tastes disgusting so my darling son will not eat it

Anyone have something tried and true? I found a lot of recipes online but I would love a personal recommendation.
#2 of 25 Old 09-20-2010, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I found a recipe for microwave playdough. It got moldy fairly fast, so I'd say stay away from microwave recipes. We left it uncolored then kneeded coloring into small balls so we could have multicolored. Once it was colored I don't recall it leaving stains. It had lots of salt and tasted awful.

Not sure any of that helps you, just what I had to offer.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#3 of 25 Old 09-20-2010, 02:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Any salt dough recipe is going to taste horrible. We've always done kool-aid, and haven't had a problem with stains after the initial mix-in (which tends to stain the hands). It tastes gross even with the kool-aid, but smells good, so he might be tempted to try a bite if it's an allergy you're concerned about. I haven't found that it gets moldy, but the colors get dull and kind of yucky over time, which I don't find to personally be a huge issue as they always get all mixed together anyways. I think recipes containing cream of tartar tend to last longer, though it significantly increases the cost of the original recipe.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#4 of 25 Old 09-20-2010, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! He has no allergies, I just don't want him putting it in his mouth like the regular Play-Doh brand. I think it will tend to get gross over time with bacteria from the mouth. If he tries it and hates it and that is a deterrent for the future, that would be fine.

Ok--I'll look for something with cream of tarter. If it lasts a long time, doesn't stain and my little guy doesn't eat it, I don't mind spending a little more $$.
#5 of 25 Old 09-20-2010, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My microwave recipe had lots of cream of tartar and still went moldy in a couple weeks.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#6 of 25 Old 09-20-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayCrepes View Post
My microwave recipe had lots of cream of tartar and still went moldy in a couple weeks.
Huh. Ours (typical salt/wheat dough recipe, done on the stove, not stored in any special way) stayed good (if not brightly colored) for months. It got thrown out before I saw any signs of mold.

Climate may have something to do with it. We weren't in a super-dry climate, but certainly not humid.

#7 of 25 Old 09-20-2010, 04:13 PM

You might try the "alum playdough" recipe on this page, without the food coloring:

http://babyparenting.about.com/cs/ac.../playdough.htm

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#8 of 25 Old 09-20-2010, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've never had this recipe turn moldy. I don't remember it ever getting mold, not even when mom made it for us as children. I now make it for the grandchildren. It will get slimy if stored where it could get hot like on top of the fridge. I store it in a plastic, microwavable storage container on the craft shelf in the kitchen. It's nontoxic but children still shouldn't eat it. It's way too salty. I buy cheap cooking oil and non-iodine salt for this recipe since it's not food.

2 1/2 cups flour
1 cup salt (probably why it doesn't get moldy)
1 TBS alum or cream of tartar (I use cream of tartar)
2 cups boiling water
1 TBS vegetable oil
food coloring

Mix flour, salt, cream of tartar in bowl. Add oil and food coloring to boiling water. Pour over flour mixture and mix well.

Knead on wax paper until smooth (it will be hot). Keep in air tight container.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#9 of 25 Old 09-20-2010, 04:53 PM

I use the same recipe as sewchris with excellent results!
#10 of 25 Old 09-20-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laundrycrisis View Post
You might try the "alum playdough" recipe on this page, without the food coloring:

http://babyparenting.about.com/cs/ac.../playdough.htm
I used the koolaid recipe from that site, and skipped both the oil and alum, and added some corn starch (just to try it.) Turned out fine, and after a week shows no signs of mold, but we do keep it in the fridge.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#11 of 25 Old 09-20-2010, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks...but what about staining? Those that posted recipes, have your children gotten it all over their clothes and then it definitely washed out without problems?
#12 of 25 Old 09-21-2010, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristin0713 View Post
Thanks...but what about staining? Those that posted recipes, have your children gotten it all over their clothes and then it definitely washed out without problems?
My hands get stained from the kneading but since it's food coloring, it washes out. And when it cools, it no longer stains. Only if you get a drop from the bottle on you will it stain and that will wash out in the next laundry load. When I was a child, I used it in "science experiments". I remember getting blue food coloring on a white blouse. It came right out the next time my mom did laundry.

On a side note, food coloring and rubbing alcohol makes a great dye for macaroni and pasta for art crafts.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#13 of 25 Old 09-21-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
I haven't had any problems with staining with the kool-aid recipe after initially kneading in the colors, which does tend to stain up the hands (and presumably clothing), but there's no reason the kids have to help with that step if it's an issue. However, my kids aren't generally rubbing the dough into their clothing, and kool-aid is sometimes used as a permanent dye for hair, wool, and so on, so it might be a good idea to test it first.

#14 of 25 Old 09-21-2010, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

It's the oil in the recipes that makes me nervous, more than the dyes. Yes, I am a little obsessed with keeping stains out of clothing and I just don't want to have to worry about that when I take it out for them to play with.
#15 of 25 Old 09-27-2010, 03:25 AM

The oil can be replaced with lotion if you want instead. But I've found that it doesn't stain with either.

-chelsea dust.gif
#16 of 25 Old 09-27-2010, 07:50 AM

Quote:
It's the oil in the recipes that makes me nervous, more than the dyes. Yes, I am a little obsessed with keeping stains out of clothing and I just don't want to have to worry about that when I take it out for them to play with.
WHy no have play clothes/smocks/big T-shirt for the kids so it doesn't matter?

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#17 of 25 Old 09-28-2010, 02:44 PM

I've used the same recipe as sewchris and haven't had any issues with staining. I usually dye it with those 4-to a pack food colors you find in any grocery store. I don't make it super bright, but add enough to get a good color. I made a batch that lasted at least 6 months with no mold issues in Florida... and we just stored it in a baggie in the kitchen/craft area. No refrigeration.

My issue is never the kids' clothes... it's always finding smooshed up playdough throughout the house (especially on carpet). Of course, once it dries/hardens, it cleans up really well.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#18 of 25 Old 09-28-2010, 07:32 PM

Follow this link for the best playdough I've ever used. I keep in zip-top bags in a basket so my sons can use it whenever they need it. It tastes yucky, and keeps forever. (I threw out the first batch because I had made it at 7 months ago and it was still great!) Use more food colouring than it calls for, and I just divide the dough into 4, throw it in medium zip-top bags, then add the food colouring and knead it in. I don't get my hands messy, and my son can help!

P.S. Michael Smith is a Canadian chef with a kid of his own, so he knows his playdough recipes!

http://www.chefmichaelsmith.ca/en/ho...0zJnJJRD0xMDk_
#19 of 25 Old 09-28-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spammela22 View Post
P.S. Michael Smith is a Canadian chef with a kid of his own, so he knows his playdough recipes!

http://www.chefmichaelsmith.ca/en/ho...0zJnJJRD0xMDk_
OT: spammela, his recipes sound so yummy. I've been looking at the "Chef at Home" recipes and emailed quite a few to myself.

I hope his show turns up on our new Cooking channel. There are quite a few Canadian imports on it. (It's run by the Food Network, so they're putting a lot of the Canadian Food Network shows on it.)

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#20 of 25 Old 09-29-2010, 12:45 AM

Just a note if you don't know. Cream of tartar can be picked up cheap from winery, because it is the byproduct of the fermentation process. Amish or Mennonite stores, also, sell it super cheap.

Wife to Dh and homeschooling, mother to DD16  DS12  DS9  DS5  DS3. Due with 6th child in March 2014.

#21 of 25 Old 09-29-2010, 04:53 AM

The Michael Smith recipe is identical to the one I use (found it via our good friend google ) It's never stained and wouldn't be pleasant to eat. Ours lasts MONTHS... I store it in ziploc bags in the fridge and I have never had it go mouldy or yucky.

I actually make 2-3 batches (one behind the other) and put the food colouring in the water when it's added to the dry ingredients and it does away with most of the hand staining when it's kneaded too. That only really works if you are making one colour at a time obviously, but I have 3 boys and we require lots o doh!

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#22 of 25 Old 09-29-2010, 08:37 AM

That is the same that we have been doing and the with a cup of salt. My son doesn't dare taste it.
#23 of 25 Old 09-29-2010, 01:36 PM

I use a recipe really similar to the Michael Smith recipe listed above. I just found a batch that I had forgotten about from last winter. Still usable! I had not added any dye, but I did add a few drops of lavender e.o. (Which may help to avoid mold).
#24 of 25 Old 09-29-2010, 11:15 PM

I use the Cooked Playdough recipe on this page:
http://www.health.wa.gov.au/docreg/E...gh_recipes.pdf

It's never stained our clothes, and doesn't go mouldy. Sometimes if the weather is really wet, it will go moist and sticky. I throw it out then and make a new batch.
You could try keeping it in the fridge - my Mum did that when we were kids and it kept practically forever.

Mothering my 4yo DS and 1yo DD
I knit : I sew : I read : I craft : and I very occasionally and irregularly blog
#25 of 25 Old 10-03-2010, 04:52 PM

We use sewchris2642's recipe. I have found that the neon food coloring colors the play dough better and lasts longer.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page