Doubting Myself... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-20-2010, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just needing some reassurance since i'm in one of those funks where I'm doubting all my thoughts about homeschooling in a waldorfy/natural/play-based kind of way.

My oldest is only 5 and we are being really loose as far as academics go. We are loosely using Earthschooling, Oak Meadow, and some other odds and ends and we do a lot of homeschooling playdates, read ALOT, paint/sew and she even goes to a friend's house for a holistic type (waldorf, montes., emilio reg.) of class for 4 hours/2 days a week. I believe (even tho it won't sound like it!) in what I'm doing which is being really laid back until my dd gets nearer to 7. But in the back of my head I'm always worrying about what if she has to go to school at some point. We are taking things one year at a time and I'd hope that even if she did go to school it's be a holistic minded one (but who know's if we could afford it, etc) and that's what makes me freak out the most. I just don't want her to be far behind if she has to be placed in school. Mainly I guess I'm just worried about the reading and math - again, I know she's only 5 but my brain just can't stop thinking all these thoughts!! I'm surrounded by all these kids my dd's age who are doing so much in school and it makes me doubt myself. My husband and I talked last night and he says we should just go with the flow for now and reassess in 6 months or so and see how I feel and if I should add some more "structured" stuff to the day so I don't feel like I'm failing (just kidding) her.

With that being said, does anyone else blend some more structured reading/phonics/math curriculums with the more holistic curriculums and like how it's working out?

Thanks!

homeschooling mama to ella (9) and maya (5)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2010, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You sound like me two years ago! Relax Maybe you could add in a few minutes a day of something more traditional as far as skills. We loved explode the code, and doing it for just a few minutes a day can help with reading/spelling. Starting with Get Ready for the Code ( A,B, and C) teaches letter sounds and printing. Books 1+ are for blending. In our school system abc are used in kindy and 1-4 are the first grade books.
I loved blending lots of things together to individualize and prioritize for our family. We use OM, earthschooling and christopherus (for math) this year while also doing MBTP for more traditional work.
Last year I used an old math book that our ps uses to supplement the OM. At the end of the year I felt like we were all over the map. But I know each day, for the most part, was good! This year, for second grade, we are getting a bit more structured but I feel like he is more ready now, if that makes sense...?
I think the OM math is okay but found that by moving up a bit it worked better for us. I also like Marsha Johnson's files check out her yahoo group for tons of free ideas. HTH
Old 09-20-2010, 03:20 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Hey mommytoella,

I'm sorry we miss Friday.

I do a mix of play with a little math and phonics mixed in. I'm not using a curriculm I'm just mixing it with what are doing. Like we a wlking around and we see letters....What letter do you see? What does it say? Things like that...Math we do lots of math in everyday life.

As far as "had to go to school" YOu are doing thing that are getting her "ready for school" K. You can set the pace. If you feel like you want to do more then do more.

I hope that answers your question.

User Tag List