Favorite Folk and Fairy Tale Books - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 09-22-2010, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So we're starting to read tales, and I'm looking for some good collections. I'm trying to avoid versions that are too simplified (I rather explain what a word means) or modernized, certainly no Disney.

Mama, writer, partner, wanderer. Living life with my ds (7/06), married to my best friend and nemesis .
#2 of 12 Old 09-22-2010, 09:39 PM

Would the Baldwin Project work for you? Here are the offerings by genre:

http://www.mainlesson.com/displaybooksbygenre.php
#3 of 12 Old 09-22-2010, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chfriend View Post
Would the Baldwin Project work for you? Here are the offerings by genre:

http://www.mainlesson.com/displaybooksbygenre.php
Wow, thanks. Still would love to hear people's favorites, there is entirely too many for me to read through there.

Mama, writer, partner, wanderer. Living life with my ds (7/06), married to my best friend and nemesis .
#4 of 12 Old 09-22-2010, 10:05 PM

Some of them are a little scary, but we enjoy Andrew Lang's fairy books (The Blue Fairy book, The Red Fairy Book, The Orange Fairy Book, ...)-- they have a wide range of stories, and are generally available online for free. They are old books, definitely not over-simplified, Disney, or modernized.
#5 of 12 Old 09-22-2010, 10:27 PM

Hey Stacey B! So our favorite Fables and Fairy tales right not are: Multicultural Fables and Fairytales by Tara Mc Carthy (scholastic, and there are some activities after the stories) 15 Easy Folktale fingerplays by Bill Gordh, these are short, but my littlest really likes the fingerplays....for littler ones. Favorite Norse Myths retold by Mary Pope Osborne, and we just just got Afterwards, Folk and Fairy tales with Mathematical Ever Afters (which i am undecided about, the activities after the tales are slightly cheesy...so not sure yet)
And we have, but have not delved into too deeply, the Enki grade 1 Math Fairy Tales collection. TONS of multicultural fairy tales, very nice ones...but most are too long for my littlest one to sit through ( i save these for when they are in the tub, my 3.5 yearer can listen and soak, and the littlest can just splash away while i read) They are very nice, but kinda spendy...Anyhow, im eager to hear others favorites too. I thought at first that fairy tales seemed too scary (and some kinda violent) but now i see the appeal, C is really into them.....Hope all is well with you guys!
#6 of 12 Old 09-22-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldamomma View Post
Some of them are a little scary, but we enjoy Andrew Lang's fairy books (The Blue Fairy book, The Red Fairy Book, The Orange Fairy Book, ...)-- they have a wide range of stories, and are generally available online for free. They are old books, definitely not over-simplified, Disney, or modernized.
Langs have been our favourite..

we also bought a usborne illustratef fairy tale book we like
http://www.amazon.com/Illustrated-Fa...5206934&sr=8-2

we like e.e. cummings fairy tales
http://www.amazon.com/Fairy-Tales-E-...5206999&sr=8-1

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
#7 of 12 Old 09-22-2010, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
We love love love Celtic Memories
and The Girl Who Helped Thunder and Other Native American Folktales
And many others by Barefoot Books.

I dont know if it counts but Strega Nona was great fun too. As well as Onions and Garlic (Eric A. Kimmel), Nightingale by HC Andersen ...

Just go to the 398 section in the library and you will find wonderful versions of familiar tales by Rachel Isadora. and a bunch of other authors too. Some of the illustrations can be breathtaking.

no longer  or  or ... dd is going on 12 (!) how was I to know there was a homeschool going on?
#8 of 12 Old 09-22-2010, 11:07 PM

Andrew Lang's "color" fairy books.
#9 of 12 Old 09-23-2010, 10:13 AM

oh, and i wanted to add 'why the sun and the moon live in the sky' by elphinstone dayrell, 'the blue jackal', by marcia brown, and 'yeh-shen' retold by Ai-ling louie...(also, i dont know if you do tv, but we recently got 25 childrens storybook classics on dvd by scholastic, it has Hans christian anderson, james marshall fairy tale collection, rapunzel, srega nona...etc. a lot of classic fairy tales)
#10 of 12 Old 09-23-2010, 03:29 PM

Our favorite is St. George and the Dragon.

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#11 of 12 Old 09-23-2010, 04:21 PM

Reader's Digest "Greatest Fairy Tales Collection". Not dumbed down, great vocabulary, five

It's out of print, but you can probably find it used. We are very pleased with it---there's a lot of material in there, so it will probably last a couple years even with frequent reading.

Also, all the fairy tale collections on the Yesterday's Classics site are kid-friendly (like, not the cannibalism and murder and such that you find in an unedited Grimm's colleciton) but not dumbed down or over-simplified, and most of them are available for free online---we just like having the hard copies.

Happy and in love with my family!
#12 of 12 Old 09-23-2010, 11:33 PM

We got a great collection called "Favourite Chinese Children's Stories", or something like that. We have some Chinese aunts in the family so there's a personal tie-in, but it's also just a great multi-cultural set of stories for us.

Heather, mom to Caileigh 12/06 and aspie ADHD prodigy David 05/98 :intact lact

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page