how do you withdrawl after startingschool? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 09-23-2010, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I won't go in to the possibly billion reasons why I don't like the online k-12 school....but how do I withdrawl from the school in WA state? All i can find is info to say your declaration of intent must be filed by sept 15th. Do I write a letter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 09-23-2010, 10:47 PM

The September 15th deadline in WA is for kids who are starting out the year homeschooling - after that date they are considered truant if a letter of intent to homeschool hasn't been filed yet. You can still withdraw your child at any time. You just need to notify the school (K-12 may have withdrawal paperwork, you'll just have to ask) and give the written notice of intent to homeschool to the superintendent of the district in which you live.

Full-time RVing wifey, TTC #1 and working towards living debt-free!
#3 of 7 Old 09-24-2010, 01:25 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Have you looked up the homeschooling law for your state?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  11yo dd
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 9yo ds and 7yo ds
and 2yo ds 

#4 of 7 Old 09-24-2010, 11:18 AM
AAK

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTHamI? View Post
The September 15th deadline in WA is for kids who are starting out the year homeschooling - after that date they are considered truant if a letter of intent to homeschool hasn't been filed yet. You can still withdraw your child at any time. You just need to notify the school (K-12 may have withdrawal paperwork, you'll just have to ask) and give the written notice of intent to homeschool to the superintendent of the district in which you live.
Yes, this. . . just let K-12 know your desire to withdraw. You will need to return supplies/books/etc than can be reused. Once you are withdrawn, send in the letter of intent. The 9/15 deadline doesn't apply to you.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (15), Kayla (12), Maya (9).
#5 of 7 Old 09-24-2010, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Ok thanks. I don't want to get in trouble

We didn't even GET our supplies yet. It took them 3 weeks, in which time I got familiar enough with the system and the online learning tools to discover this is NOT for us. I think the supplies come today so I'll write a big fat return to sender on them
#6 of 7 Old 09-24-2010, 01:29 PM

I just sent an email to our virtual school asking to start the process to return our K12 materials. My son is not compulsary age yet. So, it should not be as big of an issue.

J - Homeschooling mom to H (1/20/05), Z (11/6/06) and C (8/22/08)
I work from SON up to SON down! 
#7 of 7 Old 09-24-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love_My_Babies View Post
I just sent an email to our virtual school asking to start the process to return our K12 materials. My son is not compulsary age yet. So, it should not be as big of an issue.
It doesn't matter if your child isn't compulsory age yet once they've been enrolled, as far as withdrawal goes. You still have to do the same things to withdraw or your child will be considered truant. At least this is the case in Washington, I'm not sure about Wisconsin - but in WA compulsory age isn't actually until 8 years. If your child has never been to school, you don't have to file an intent to homeschool until compulsory age, but if you enroll your child in public school at any point before that age (say they started public kindy and you decided to pull them out and homeschool) you do have to give written notification thereafter to avoid truancy issues, even if they are younger than compulsory age. Again this is for Washington so you'd have to check your own state laws to be sure, but that's pretty standard in states that require written notification of intent to homeschool. (In some states you just do it once, WA requires notification yearly.)

Full-time RVing wifey, TTC #1 and working towards living debt-free!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page