Umbrella Schools in PA? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-27-2010, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is there a way to HS in PA without jumping through hoops?

Does anyone HS by enrolling in a church school or something like that, but then stay home and do what you want?

I would appreciate any help in finding one.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2010, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I don't think so. Whatever you enrolled in would have to uphold state laws so would have to enforce days of attendance or hours of instruction. The standardized tests in certain years would still be required, etc. You can do a PA cyber school (public school at home) and have them tell you what to do. Or you can homeschool independently which gives you more freedom, of course. There's the private tutor option, as well, but basically someone has to answer to the school district.

That said, homeschooling within the law isn't that awful. School districts vary and some are very easy for homeschooling. It's nice that the mandatory age is 8 rather than 5 or 6. As long as your child has not started 1st grade anywhere, you don't have to do any paperwork or anything until your child is 8 at the start of the school year. If you are in Philadelphia, I think you have to write a letter declaring your child is homeschooling at age 6 but I think that's all. I wasn't following that change closely since it didn't pertain to me.

This is a helpful site for homeschooling in PA: www.askpauline.com

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01

User Tag List