Would you keep a set of 1968 Encyclopedia Britannicas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 09-28-2010, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Disclaimer: I'm not a "real" homeschooler. My ds entered kindy this year at a small school (62 kids, K-12), but we have always done an enormous amount of learning at home to this point and that is what this post is about.

So, I was given a set of 1968 Encyclopedia Britannicas.

They're a bit outdated, but it is a complete set and it is the E.B.

The people who gave them to us said "We know you do a lot at home, and these will help your kids learn to "look things up", so here you go."

I'm not sure if I want to keep them until the kids are of age to independently look stuff up and all, but I can't decide if I will regret it if I get rid of them.

Do you find that outdated resources like this are still usable to you in hs'ing, or am I wasting energy and space?

Thanks!

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
#2 of 32 Old 09-28-2010, 05:27 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
There's no way I would. My house is small, and we have so many books already. I would trust precious little in a 1968 encyclopedia to be accurate by current standards, so we would always need to check a second source anyway.

Much of the EB content is available on-line. A fair bit for free. And there are so many other internet sources.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#3 of 32 Old 09-28-2010, 06:05 PM
2xy

No, I would not keep that set, and I love books.

Learning how to use the Internet as an informational resource is so much more important, IMO, than learning how to look things up in an encyclopedia. Really, there isn't much to learn about how to use an encyclopedia, other than knowing alphabetical order.

I wouldn't even keep a brand new encyclopedia set. Waste of space, seeing as information changes so quickly and you can buy an entire encyclopedia set on CD-ROM.
#4 of 32 Old 09-28-2010, 06:25 PM
AAK

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Nope, in fact we just paid the dump to get rid of them. Someone gave us a set too--I told dh to find out the year (because they take up so much space) and the person said a fairly recent year. Turns out that the set was from the 60s and they also had all the yearbook updates which is why they told us the more current year. Ugh! I can't believe dh took them home.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#5 of 32 Old 09-28-2010, 06:32 PM

No way. I only just got rid of my set from the mid-80s, that I was holding onto for the same reason. But in looking through it, there is sooooo much that is out of date. It's a really great resource if you want to find out all about the USSR, though.

I would LOVE a newer set. I toy with the idea of getting a set of the World Book encyclopedias, which seem to be one of the last remaining print ones available. I think that there is A LOT to be gained from having a paper set, and my kids will definitely be learning old fashioned research tools. But it's ridiculously expensive, so we'll probably just end up using the library's.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#6 of 32 Old 09-28-2010, 06:48 PM

no. i gave our encyclopedia set away on freecycle. if i were to keep a set though, i'd really love the childcraft volume!

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#7 of 32 Old 09-28-2010, 09:49 PM

I personally would not keep paper encyclopedias in the house regardless of the date. They are not very good "cite-able" resources at all.

Maybe recycle them for pictures and paper crafts?
#8 of 32 Old 09-28-2010, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
YES!.... Not so much for reference but for history.
If I had the space and assuming the books were in good condition I would take them in a second.

Ds and I love learning about the way things were, what people thought, how things were done... a complete set of 45yr old encyclopedias would be awesome

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#9 of 32 Old 09-28-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't even keep a brand new encyclopedia set. Waste of space, seeing as information changes so quickly and you can buy an entire encyclopedia set on CD-ROM.

AND you can get pretty much anything else at the library, old and new resources. I'd rather have a bookshelf full of good literature or art supplies or sheet music or any number of other things.
#10 of 32 Old 09-28-2010, 10:15 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
No way, Jose. I wouldn't even keep a brand new set. Wikipedia is my friend.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#11 of 32 Old 09-28-2010, 10:46 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjande View Post
No way, Jose. I wouldn't even keep a brand new set. Wikipedia is my friend.
Wikipedia is not a valid reference.... As a teacher this is a major pet peeve....

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#12 of 32 Old 09-28-2010, 10:50 PM

No I would not. You can go to by a subscription to encyclopedias or some libraries have one open to anyone.

Wikipedia is not a valid source for research but you need to be teaching your child that and how to find valid information.

Wikipedia can be an awesome starting point if you know nothing but you should always search further.
#13 of 32 Old 09-28-2010, 11:11 PM

Everything is biased. Humans are biased. The winners get to write the history books. I'm not going to find an unbiased source of information.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#14 of 32 Old 09-28-2010, 11:21 PM

Yeah, another person who would REALLY not encourage teaching your child that Wikipedia is a valid source. They'll have to learn otherwise when they get to college anyway, so you might as well teach them to do research the correct way now.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#15 of 32 Old 09-28-2010, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wouldn't keep a set of encyclopedias but I have kept outdated science and history books. As he grew, they became an invaluable resouce of how science changes as scientists learn and discover new things. How history and science isn't static or set in stone but expands as knowledge is gained and changed with new discoveries.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#16 of 32 Old 09-28-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjande View Post
Everything is biased. Humans are biased. The winners get to write the history books. I'm not going to find an unbiased source of information.
Who said "unbiased"? Wikipedia is unreliable, period. It's hit or miss whether the article you're looking at was written by someone who knows what they're talking about, whether it's been changed as someone's idea of a joke, and if any of the information is even correct.

#17 of 32 Old 09-28-2010, 11:36 PM

Well then, instead of saying "Wikipedia is my friend", pretend I said, "the internet is my friend." "Wikipedia" just sounded good because we're talking about encyclopedias. Whatever site one uses, personally I would not waste all the shelf space a set of encyclopedias would take up. I would research things on the internet instead. And even then I'd take it all with a grain of salt! But at least the information wouldn't be taking up my shelf space!lol

#18 of 32 Old 09-29-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post
YES!.... Not so much for reference but for history.
If I had the space and assuming the books were in good condition I would take them in a second.

Ds and I love learning about the way things were, what people thought, how things were done... a complete set of 45yr old encyclopedias would be awesome

Me too!! My parents have the set that we had when I was a kid (they are from the late 70s) I loved them!! I would happily keep a set like that!

PAT- photosmile2.gif Mommy to a super little boy kid.gif Tyr -Nov 17, 2006 Married to joy.gif Sky -August 28, 1993 
Sadly, Jan 21, 2011  m/c 6w5d  angel.gif
#19 of 32 Old 09-29-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post
Wikipedia is not a valid reference.... As a teacher this is a major pet peeve....
However Wikipedia is an excellent starting point for research. It often offers information in a succinct and clear format and then follows that up with loads and loads of sources. So you look it up on Wikipedia and then you follow their source trails, viola, excellent research! It doesn't mean you specifically cite Wikipedia, it means you use it as a resource. You don't cite the card catalog!
#20 of 32 Old 09-29-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone_kneegrabber View Post
However Wikipedia is an excellent starting point for research. It often offers information in a succinct and clear format and then follows that up with loads and loads of sources. So you look it up on Wikipedia and then you follow their source trails, viola, excellent research! It doesn't mean you specifically cite Wikipedia, it means you use it as a resource. You don't cite the card catalog!
i agree. it's not my "go-to" site (especially regarding hot topics such as politics, people,. etc), but it otherwise serves as a pretty good source for most things i need to reference.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#21 of 32 Old 09-29-2010, 04:30 PM

Not only would I keep it: I DO keep one. I have two encylopedia sets. One from the 20's and one from the 60's. I also have 40 years worth of "book of the year" ranging from 40's to 70's. Phew....it's a lot of books but fun to look up and see the point of view from a different era.

And yes, DH has actually successfully used them as a source for a college class.

Co-creator, Joyful Wife, and Grateful Mama to angel3.gifenergy.gifand sleepytime.gif
#22 of 32 Old 09-29-2010, 04:39 PM

I'd cut up the 1968 encyclopedia for time line figures.

Wikipedia is, of course, hit or miss. However, just last night I read the "Michael Collins" entry to get some insights into the civil war that followed the Irish war for freedom from English rule.
#23 of 32 Old 09-29-2010, 04:50 PM

You could keep them, but not necessarily use them as encyclopedias. I have a friend who, some years back, bought an entire set of law books. Big, heavy, hardcover things (like encyclopedias). Then she made book shelves out of them. I wish I had a picture. They were pretty cool.

Your kids might like them. Books are eminently more browseable than the internet. I remember spending hours at school just looking through the encyclopedias and dictionaries, not looking for anything in particular, but seeing if anything caught my eye. It might be a good jumping off point for something they didn't know they were interested in. If I had the space, I'd keep them.
#24 of 32 Old 09-29-2010, 05:54 PM

#25 of 32 Old 09-29-2010, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, those shelves are really cool.

The thing of it is, I love to browse encyclopedias and dictionaries and maps and stuff. I will own the OED someday... I just couldn't decide if I wanted to keep the space for an older reference that my kids may never use and that wouldn't be valid for reference papers and all. I tend toward over-decluttering/minimalism, but I have a soft spot for books and reference materials.

Hmmm. I'm still conflicted.

Mama to A 8/05 and S 11/06
#26 of 32 Old 09-29-2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulfaith View Post
Okay, those shelves are really cool.

The thing of it is, I love to browse encyclopedias and dictionaries and maps and stuff. I will own the OED someday... I just couldn't decide if I wanted to keep the space for an older reference that my kids may never use and that wouldn't be valid for reference papers and all. I tend toward over-decluttering/minimalism, but I have a soft spot for books and reference materials.

Hmmm. I'm still conflicted.
They're not going to publish the OED in print anymore I'm so sad. That's been, like, one of my biggest life dreams for years and years!

#27 of 32 Old 09-29-2010, 11:01 PM

If I had space I would. Growing up we had a 1918 World Book, as well as a more recent encyclopedia. The old World Book was beautiful to look at as well full of interesting ideas from the era.
#28 of 32 Old 09-30-2010, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chfriend View Post
LOVE THIS!!!
#29 of 32 Old 09-30-2010, 03:55 AM

i have a mid 80s set. I would keep them lots of things change or new information is added but a lot stays the same. the fall of the roman empire or the basics of life in ancient egypt isn't going to change. They provide a good jumping off point for more research and a great to just flip through and go 'Oooooo gee i wanna know more about THAT?'

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#30 of 32 Old 09-30-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulfaith View Post
I will own the OED someday.
Oh yeah! Me too! Somehow I can't justify the cost of an online subscription, but if I come across an actual print edition that's reasonably in date, I'm so getting it. Maybe even not reasonably in date.

As an OED aside, has anyone here read The Professor and the Madman. It's a fictionalized true (that's an oxymoron, isn't it?) account of how the OED came to be. Fascinating.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page