Does your kid forget basic info they known for years? - Mothering Forums
Learning at Home and Beyond > Does your kid forget basic info they known for years?
p1gg1e's Avatar p1gg1e 01:32 PM 09-29-2010
ODD (6) can not remember the alphabet song ( known for 3 years), she has forgotten the letter H ( she has finished her hand writting without tears book and is reading) just asked what the letter I was and thought J was G. She has known the letters for years and has started reading on her own.

I wrote out the ABC's on a white board and she has the hand writting withouth tears stickers in front of her. She now can't write the I and says its a J.

I'm confused as to why she is acting this way. She does tend to act clueless sometimes and it drives us nuts.

Example: ODD "mom look at the cloud in the sky!" Me" yeah thats a cool cloud!" ODD " what cloud?" ???

Round and round we go.

Not every day is like this but it seems to last a week or so that she has clueless spells/forgetful.

Is this a 6yo thing?

craft_media_hero's Avatar craft_media_hero 01:02 AM 09-30-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1gg1e View Post
ODD (6) can not remember the alphabet song ( known for 3 years), she has forgotten the letter H ( she has finished her hand writting without tears book and is reading) just asked what the letter I was and thought J was G. She has known the letters for years and has started reading on her own.

I wrote out the ABC's on a white board and she has the hand writting withouth tears stickers in front of her. She now can't write the I and says its a J.

I'm confused as to why she is acting this way. She does tend to act clueless sometimes and it dusrives nuts.

Example: ODD "mom look at the cloud in the sky!" Me" yeah thats a cool cloud!" ODD " what cloud?" ???

Round and round we go.

Not every day is like this but it seems to last a week or so that she has clueless spells/forgetful.

Is this a 6yo thing?
My dd did the same thing around the same age for a while. It's kind of scary coz you think wow what kind of homeschoolers are we if my kid doesn't know the ABCs, but for us all of these things she had "forgotten" came back later.
p1gg1e's Avatar p1gg1e 02:03 PM 09-30-2010
Thanks! Glad to hear it might be an age thing.

I think the issue was Diary. I forgot that she has a reaction to a gluten free cake mix that does not have dairy listed in it...I'm backing off for a bit till the dairy is out of her system
Lisa1970's Avatar Lisa1970 02:16 PM 09-30-2010
If you read up on the stages of learning and cognitive processes (I am a particular fan of Piaget, and his work is the basis for most works currently out there), you will find that what she learned at 3 was processed in such a different way than 6, that it only makes sense that she is now relearning it in a way that is more applicable to now. Sort of why the sight reading people try to do with babies just has no lasting positive effects.

Hope that helps! So in otherwords, completely normal and nothing of concern at all!
Dillpicklechip's Avatar Dillpicklechip 07:20 PM 09-30-2010
My oldest is 11, and she forgets stuff that she used to know all the time! Especially in math, it's so frustrating. So don't feel bad, it happens. All you can do is review the things the child has forgotten, and hope that they remember it permanently eventually.
Up