Anyone using Nebel's BFSU? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-01-2010, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How are you liking it? Is it overwhelming to put it all together? I have to admit that I'm a bit intimidated by the whole thing. How are you using it? Please share your experiences/opinions!
#2 of 4 Old 10-01-2010, 02:51 AM

I have the book. Just got it, started flipping through it.

A lovely lady on here (I can't remember who though), put together this fabulous document that's a little easier for idiots like me to see how it can all work out...

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#3 of 4 Old 10-01-2010, 01:57 PM

I have been using BFSU for about two months and I have to say I LOVE this curriculum! I am really lucky to be doing it with a friend who has kids who are close in age to mine. Not because this curriculum is difficult to use/present but because I may have been too intimidated to start if I didn't have the motivation of working with someone else. So far we have done 6 lessons and they have been surprisingly easy to present once you have read (and often reread the lesson).

The lessons also don't take all that long. I think the longest we have spent on formal BFSU at any one time is 45 minutes and that's with 5 kids only 2 of whom are formally participating. So that includes a lot of getting the 3 year olds set up with an age appropriate version of the activity or a snack or shoes so they can go out side etc.

The lessons have not required allot of time to prep, however, I do have to really sit and concentrate when I read the up coming lesson. For me it's not the kind of thing I can read/ prep without giving it my full attention. As I mentioned earlier I sometimes need to read it twice to get a full feel for the lesson, this is not because it is poorly written but rather because the lessons are deep and meaningful when it comes to scientific thought and understanding. I wish that my own early science experiences had been like this.

dust.gifmama to  ds2/03 ds2/05 dd4/07 and expecting someone new in the spring! chicken3.gif

#4 of 4 Old 10-02-2010, 10:16 PM

We did it last year and we wdored it. This test we are doing his new book, grades 3-5.
I am amazed by his lessons. It can be intimidating though. I just take it one lesson at a time.

Children deserve the respect of puzzling it out.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page