Oh, well he'll have an interesting time when he goes to school - Mothering Forums
Learning at Home and Beyond > Oh, well he'll have an interesting time when he goes to school
lonegirl's Avatar lonegirl 10:54 PM 10-06-2010

This is so often what I get in response to "we have chosen to homeschool"

My son, who turns 4 next month loves our school time. He is already working on level 1 "I Can Read" books. He does basic sums etc....he is very bright and we travel a lot....homeschooling is the best choice for us. People just don't get it. Like homeschool is doing "pretend school".

Dillpicklechip's Avatar Dillpicklechip 11:02 PM 10-06-2010
Well, don't worry what other people think. A lot of people just can't wrap their minds around the idea of homeschooling, it's too outside the box. Sounds like you and your son are doing great!
phathui5's Avatar phathui5 11:30 PM 10-06-2010
"Except that... he's not going to go to school."
sapphire_chan's Avatar sapphire_chan 11:31 PM 10-06-2010
Um, yes, I'm pretty sure my previously homeschooled classmate in college had an interesting time we were in a very good program with excellent professors.
Momma Aimee's Avatar Momma Aimee 12:57 AM 10-08-2010
"Yes he will, but, then again college is a big change for any student" SMILE and maintain eye contact ...
Fairy4tmama's Avatar Fairy4tmama 01:22 PM 10-08-2010
WAIT......HOMESCHOOLERS.can.go.to....COLLEGE!

AAK's Avatar AAK 01:39 PM 10-08-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairy4tmama View Post
WAIT......HOMESCHOOLERS.can.go.to....COLLEGE!

Oh, people always say the most interesting things, don't they! I love all the "responses" posted.

Amy
zebrachick83's Avatar zebrachick83 02:49 PM 10-08-2010
At times like this, I just smile and walk away. Otherwise, I can get very heated. So many people associate "good parenting" with public or private school that they can't process a parent who would willingly school their children at home and still provide them with a good education. It's not so much a criticism of us as a display of other people's perceptions. At least that's what I tell myself when I need to calm down....
Starflower's Avatar Starflower 03:39 PM 10-08-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Aimee View Post
"Yes he will, but, then again college is a big change for any student" SMILE and maintain eye contact ...
Love this!
tammyw's Avatar tammyw 03:41 PM 10-08-2010
This thread makes me laugh. I was thinking about it this morning - how it seems very acceptable for people to make negative comments about homeschooling, but how most of us would never say anything negative to someone whose kids were in public school. Yet, sometimes I think it might be funny to make the comments to the other person before they have a chance to make them to us, lol. Something along the lines of

"You actually send your kids to school??? Oh the poor dears. I don't know how you do it. I could never do that. Well I guess they'll get a taste of the real world once they're out of school."

And no, that is NOT how I feel about public school, but it's kind of what many hear about homeschooling, just in reverse.
Up