CM/Classical October Thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-19-2010, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bluegoat Hope you feel better soon!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursingnaturalmom View Post
Oh I'm loving this thread. I"m making the switch to CM slowlllyyyy!
Welcome!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 10-19-2010, 02:04 PM

Who all has a blog?

My goal is to have ours up and running. We have one growing weeds.

Old 10-19-2010, 04:42 PM

BG - sorry to hear about the mastitis- please do take it easy! Better to nip it as quick as you can!

about us:
Only officially schooling my 6.y.o.(turned 6 end of July). We are somewhere between k/1st. We didn't do any official schooling last year- just lots of reading, singing, games etc. The 3.5 yo tags along, loves her coloring time and read-alouds and especially singing.

I consider us classically inspired Charlotte Mason. I like the idea of doing Latin but not certain if we are to the degree of LCC in that regard. I am not sure how I fall in the History category. WTM of course is the 4 yr cycle, LCC is more biographical for the younger ages as is CM for this age. So, for us we are doing mostly Am History biographical following in the lines of CM like ambleside and such. I believe we are somewhere inbetween WTM and CM when it comes to Language Arts, just going along here! I believe strongly, most importantly, in the reading of good classical books. In science we are devout fans of Nature Study but we are doing more formal science w/ BFSU, so diverging from both Classical and CM in that regard. Rambling on and on!

MLW and Jessica- Thank you both for your thoughts on the Memory work. I have looked at the Campbell e-book and also a free e-book out there as well. I will be checking your blog Jessica for your list.

I just need to print a list of things and go w/ it but of course I want it to be related. I should pick an AA Milne poem or two. We have worked off and on w/ one particular prayer- I am just not consistent enough. Plus, we have been learning some folk songs and such and the basics for this age- as I said- days, months adn other things like that.

Today was library day, I'm exhausted and hoping to crash. No big school today as we did extra yesterday to make up for being busy today.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 10-19-2010, 04:43 PM

No blog here, although I have considered it- as I like to ramble

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 10-19-2010, 05:19 PM

THanks everyone for the good thoughts, I've had a nice easy day. THe girls have been really helpful, which is nice.

So, if we are describing our kids approach, I have one five year old, she'll be six in January, and a soon to be three, and a nine month old. We are classical CM inspired, with some delayed academic stuff thrown in. THis year we've been working on reading, which is coming along well; are awaiting Cursive First in the mail; and music lessons. Also we've been doing the MEP intake yesr, though we have got off track on that since I am still not able to get my printer to work. In the mean time, I've decided to teach dd to play chess. We also do a little French, and social studies, and read good quality books, but not really on any kind of schedule. She does nature study with her dad, so they were working on trees before he left, and they'll do something when he is home after Christmas - probably go ice fishing. She's taking an art class, and ballet, and is almost done with riding and gym, thank goodness, because it is way too many activities.

With regards to memory work - we have been doing some songs that I think of as "important". O Canada, and I think next either "Farewell to Nova Scotia" or "God Save the Queen". Also, some prayers from the BCP - we've learned a small part of the compline service including a small office song, and the "support us all the day long" prayer, so now both girls can say it by memory at bed time.

I might get a blog - I always feel like I am just navel gazing with one, but it would allow me to some more focused writing.

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
MLW and Jessica- Thank you both for your thoughts on the Memory work. I have looked at the Campbell e-book and also a free e-book out there as well. I will be checking your blog Jessica for your list.

I just need to print a list of things and go w/ it but of course I want it to be related. I should pick an AA Milne poem or two. We have worked off and on w/ one particular prayer- I am just not consistent enough. Plus, we have been learning some folk songs and such and the basics for this age- as I said- days, months adn other things like that.
When my older two were younger (starting with ds#1 was about 6; somehow ds#2 has always stepped up and kept pace with ds#1), we started with very simple poems from FLL 1 - I think the first one was "The Caterpillar" by Christina G. Rosetti. I have added in some Robert Louis Stevenson ("Rain" is very short - only 4 lines) and others as they have aged. We also added in grammar definitions as we got to them in grammar - "A noun is the name of a person, place, thing, or idea" for instance (from FLL). While doing some history and geography, we memorized the seven continents (in our house it is still Australia and not Oceania, though I tell the kids that some call it Oceania instead) and where they are on a map. We only learn 1-2 new things at a time, usually one poem and one non-poetry related. Then once the material is mastered, we review it once a week for a good month or two (or more if I'm not paying attention). Then we review it once a month (well, eventually it'll be once a month ... we review it once every "so many days" based on how many pieces of memory work have made it to that stage.

Right now we are working on some Latin (noun declension endings and 1st conjugation verb endings - they actually already know them, but I wanted them to learn what they are called, so instead of just chanting "o, s, t, mus, tis, nt" they say, "1st conjugation verb endings, present tense" and then chant them. And we have a poem called "The Seasons of the Year" by Samuel Wilderspin. It's longer (four stanzas ... that's what they are called, right? I so did not learn much at all about poetry when I was in school), but we take it one at a time.

I like the idea of studying a particular author and then memorizing at least one poem by that author. My ambitious goal this year is seeing how much of "'Twas the Night Before Christmas" we can memorize by Christmas. We need to start soon, but before that we are learning part of "A Boy's Thanksgiving (Over the River and Through the Woods)".

And oh the topic of history ... I so love the four-year cycle. But, I think even 9 years old seems young for modern history. That book of SOTW seems so different than the others. So far we have done 1 full cycle of Ancients, and are almost done with our second cycle of Ancients, and 1 full cycle of Medieval times. We'll do our second cycle of Medieval next school year (starting in July). That would put ds#2 in 5th grade when we do Modern Times for the first time, which I think will be okay. But my dilemma is when to start ds#3 in the history cycle. If I want to keep my sanity, I won't start him on the first cycle of Ancients until 3rd grade. He'd reach Modern Times in 6th grade (one year between when ds#1 would reach it for the 1st time and when ds#2 would reach it for the 1st time). I could then start the baby in Ancients in 2nd grade, when ds#3 is cycling through the 2nd time. (I just wrote all this out on a white board to see how it worked ... I've had fears that I'll end up with 3 different history cycles being taught at the same time because of the spacing in their ages.) Hmm ... that might work. But then I wonder, where in the world do I fit in thorough American History, as well as civics/government and economics (topics I don't think really need to be covered until high school but none-the-less).

Hmm ... has anyone else mapped out history over the educational career of your kiddos? Have you altered when you want to start a 4-year cycle, if you are doing a 4-year cycle because of the timing of it all? Have you modified the 4-year cycle into something else to make it work? At this rate, ds#1 will have 2 1/2 cycles through history by 11th grade. Ds#2 will have two full cycles by 9th grade (I don't consider what I did with ds#1 before now as really counting for ds#2 as he was just along for the ride when he felt like listening).

And : I just realized that my youngest will "graduate" from 12th grade in 2028!!! : That sounds like I'll be so old!!! : again!

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
Old 10-19-2010, 07:26 PM

Hi everyone! Our friends just left. We've been going from 3 hours to 5 hanging out together and I can see us just waking up on our co-op mornings and hanging out in pajamas all day long. I cooked 3 chickens on the fire so we would both have dinner done tonight too. And then Sarah made salt potatoes on the stove. Yum!

They did one lesson out of REAL science and I read a little about the Trojan War.

Tomorrow is our little library day. We're going to try to go to that weekly because the 4 year old really loves their Wednesday program. It's about raccoons tomorrow. And if it's too babyish, I'll just take the older kids out. Sarah has an 18 month old who is just starting to get into it too. So she's starting all over.

We're doing ancients, cycle one with History Odyssey. My kids are 6 and 5. I've done the math on that and I think what'll happen as we go is that we'll slow some things down. I think we'll spend more time on the stuff that REALLY gets us by cycle 3. I look at cycle one as the time to fill their little brains with pictures and poetry to prepare them for the "meat" of stuff later.

I/we intend to do school all year long with breaks for vacations as we get them. And we started by staggering subjects. We started with HO first and we're on lesson 11 of 35 of that this week. We're on lesson 2 of REAL science biology. Then because my family is extra science-y, we're doing grades one and two a'la WTM. We have 20 weeks of picking an animal and an earth feature each week. Then we move onto the human body, plants, and space.

We just added FLL, level one. We do progressivephonics.com and Brand New Readers for reading.

For math, we are doing Critical Thinking and we're doing the K book right now and then moving onto 1st grade around December.

I've got Artistic Pursuits and Latin to add into our curriculum on the bookshelf. I think I'll add Latin in November and art over Xmas.

You're right about that poem, MLW. We did the caterpillar poem today!

If I needed to add anything more, it would be more "classical" literature. We're light on that because we are always reading science books or Halloween books right now. I had planned on reading The Hobbit aloud this year and that was a disaster so I need to find a good, classic chapter book to start us with sometime soon. The problem is, my kids are REALLY into holidays. (So am I!) So our "fun" reading right now is about Halloween. And we've read EVERY Halloween book in our library system. So now we're doing Thanksgiving. And then it will be Xmas/Yule. I'm guessing we'll get to good literature in January.

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer3141 View Post
If I needed to add anything more, it would be more "classical" literature. We're light on that because we are always reading science books or Halloween books right now. I had planned on reading The Hobbit aloud this year and that was a disaster so I need to find a good, classic chapter book to start us with sometime soon. The problem is, my kids are REALLY into holidays. (So am I!) So our "fun" reading right now is about Halloween. And we've read EVERY Halloween book in our library system. So now we're doing Thanksgiving. And then it will be Xmas/Yule. I'm guessing we'll get to good literature in January.
We read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe to the boys sometime last spring. Our library had a wonderful illustrated version (full version though). Ds#1 and ds#2 LOVED it. After we finished reading, we watched the movie and then compared them.

I really want to read The Wind in the Willows to them, but the couple times we've tried, I've put it down. It still seems a bit above them (not story wise, but the language and sentence structure is pretty advanced). I think I'm going to read through Winnie the Pooh and reread through Beatrix Potter with them soon - both of those help train their ears to the classics too.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:18 PM

You are BAD, MLW. But I found that used for $3 so I love you anyway.

We did the complete Beatrix Potter collection last year. LOVED it! And I think The Wind in the Willows is boring. We couldn't get through it either.

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Aww, I guess I was redeemed then.

We read through the Beatrix Potter collection almost 3 years ago - I can't believe it has been that long (maybe it was 4 years ago - ds#1 was doing Oak Meadow K and each week seemed to have one of the stories associate with something IIRC; my memory is rather fuzzy).

Sometimes I forget that ds#3 needs to have the same experiences; it's bad enough ds#2 tries to keep up with ds#1 to the point that we forget he's a very young 2nd grader.

LOL on thinking The Wind in the Willows is boring. It is such a classic and I'd love to get through it but I'm just not sure when it'll happen. I might just read a chapter or two to give them some exposure and then shelve it.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
Sometimes I forget that ds#3 needs to have the same experiences; it's bad enough ds#2 tries to keep up with ds#1 to the point that we forget he's a very young 2nd grader.
It is so easy to forget that! I need to be reading some Beatrix Potter again my dd was on a huge kick for awhile but haven't read it in a bit.

re: history- no I haven't thought long term, sigh, one year at a time, here! I am kind of drawn to the idea of doing some Am and ancient history concurrently Campbell talks about that in LCC and it is how the Core Knowledge Sequence adresses history/civics. I don't know that I have made up my mind about it to tell the truth, I think there are merits to a variety of methods.

Loving all the thoughts on memory work, I was looking again at that free file I downloaded. It has both Caterpillar and Rain poems you mentioned MLW. However, I think that I will start w/ one by Milne, since we are studying him. Again, we will pick back up w/ the prayer we have been working on and as I have talked about we have been learning folk songs for fun.

Speaking of classic read-alouds. Did I mention we are now on Peter Pan for our chapter book read-aloud. I thought it was longer. I bought the unabridged adaption- it says in the front that it was the adaptation approved by Barrie. Anyway, we are enjoying it and should finish it this week- so would certainly recommend it as a nice easy one. We also enjoyed Stuart Little and Mr Poppers Penguins- well I cannot think of one we haven't liked yet! We are now at 125 books read for the Fall reading challenge- it ends Nov 2 (started sep 25). I was hoping for 250, but we will see- as I think I mentioned the kids get prizes for who has read the most.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:10 AM

Ugh. Just wrote out a long post that got dropped by internet crashing I will have to venture back tomorrow.

Happy and in love with my family!
Old 10-20-2010, 07:15 AM

I hate when that happens, Craft!!! Hurry back though.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Mind if I join in? I have a 9 yo (4th grade), 8 yo (3rd grade), 6 yo (Kindy/1st range), and a 2.5 year old hurricane. We started off this year trying Waldorf again but it just isn't working for us...again. We are keeping some parts like the main lesson books we've already started and some of the subjects like Norse Myths, but otherwise it seems every week we move more and more back into Classical things.

We started using FLL for my 3rd and 4th grader, Writing with Ease for them, as well, and Right Start Math for all three older kids. I got AAS for my 3rd grader who has some sensory issues and a lot of spelling problems, but so far I don't like it. Writing with Ease they find tedious and boring, too. I'll keep up with that one through this year but might not use it again. We're also on SOTW book 2 verrrrrry slowly. I keep forgetting about it! And we have Artistic Pursuits that we need to start, also.

Of course, I could have a baby anytime, so during my "maternity leave" we'll just be reading and dh will be doing science with them-chemistry and physics are his big plans. They have handwriting and math stuff they will do independently, too, at the same time.

My 4th grader is also teaching herself Greek with the Code Cracker and the Papaloizos books. I don't know it at all, so she's pretty much on her own here and I try to help her out. We do French together with First Start French and I throw in some things from my old French textbook I bought in college. She is really great at it. We do some French as a group during circle time with L'Art de Dire and they like that. Next spring I want to start Latin together and then work on a language with ds (3rd). Probably Greek or Latin more intensively with some French. He would maybe like to learn Arabic as he wants to be a Paleontologist some day, but I will have to order Rosetta Stone for that one!

Right now for read alouds we have Harry Potter going for the two youngest (dh is reading it to them) and then I am reading The Red Pyramid to the oldest two who skipped ahead of me and read it. We're big Riordan fans here, and just got his new book The Lost Hero, so my 4th grader is enthusiastically buried in that at the moment.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 10-20-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
Mind if I join in? I have a 9 yo (4th grade), 8 yo (3rd grade), 6 yo (Kindy/1st range), and a 2.5 year old hurricane. We started off this year trying Waldorf again but it just isn't working for us...again. We are keeping some parts like the main lesson books we've already started and some of the subjects like Norse Myths, but otherwise it seems every week we move more and more back into Classical things.

We started using FLL for my 3rd and 4th grader, Writing with Ease for them, as well, and Right Start Math for all three older kids. I got AAS for my 3rd grader who has some sensory issues and a lot of spelling problems, but so far I don't like it. Writing with Ease they find tedious and boring, too. I'll keep up with that one through this year but might not use it again. We're also on SOTW book 2 verrrrrry slowly. I keep forgetting about it! And we have Artistic Pursuits that we need to start, also.

Of course, I could have a baby anytime, so during my "maternity leave" we'll just be reading and dh will be doing science with them-chemistry and physics are his big plans. They have handwriting and math stuff they will do independently, too, at the same time.

My 4th grader is also teaching herself Greek with the Code Cracker and the Papaloizos books. I don't know it at all, so she's pretty much on her own here and I try to help her out. We do French together with First Start French and I throw in some things from my old French textbook I bought in college. She is really great at it. We do some French as a group during circle time with L'Art de Dire and they like that. Next spring I want to start Latin together and then work on a language with ds (3rd). Probably Greek or Latin more intensively with some French. He would maybe like to learn Arabic as he wants to be a Paleontologist some day, but I will have to order Rosetta Stone for that one!

Right now for read alouds we have Harry Potter going for the two youngest (dh is reading it to them) and then I am reading The Red Pyramid to the oldest two who skipped ahead of me and read it. We're big Riordan fans here, and just got his new book The Lost Hero, so my 4th grader is enthusiastically buried in that at the moment.
Welcome! WWE was a disasterous failure here. We still do copywork and narration WWE-style, but I had to switch from the workbook to selections of my own.

Your language leanring sounds fun! Nik would love to learn Greek but I don't want to add more work to our day. We're already using Song School Latin (which he also wanted to learn), but maybe I'll buy him Song School Greek for his Christmas "something to read" and let him learn it on his own.

We're having a low-key day, during our no-school week. We had a homeschool group day at the local pumpkin patch planned, but yesterday was Nik's birthday and we had company and tons of exitement that kept the boys up until 10pm. They slept really late today as a result, so we missed the fun. They don't seem to mind. Tonight is Nik's first cub scout troop meeting, so he's very excited about that. They're playing with Legos and I'm doing laundry and working on homeschool planning and prepwork stuff. We'll watch How to Train Your Dragon again later. (Nik got it for his birthday.) That about sums up our plans for the day....except for deciding what to do for dinner, which I'm having trouble with so I'm going to keep procrastinating until the last minute and end up making breakfast for dinner or something equally easy.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
Old 10-20-2010, 01:25 PM

Kitty, we did Waldorf in preschool and at the time, I really truly thought we'd be Waldorf people for the rest of our lives. But then, I met my kids (after they were babies!) and realized that that is SOOOO not them!!
We are now recovering Waldorfers. But we still love Magic Cabin toys.
We too get more and more "classical" with every month.
We'll start Artistic Pursuits, together.

We did deserts this morning and spent a ton of time playing with the new microscope. I finally broke down and bought a real one and everyone in the family is fascinated. I'm having a low key day with Jessica. We head to the library in about an hour and then we'll be done for the day.

Jessica will you tell us what you think of "How to Train Your Dragon?" I've been thinking of getting that for DS. We don't have television in our house. We just have our DVD player. So I get the kids a DVD every month or so. that one looks cute!!

Old 10-20-2010, 01:46 PM

We got "How To Train Your Dragon" this weekend, too. The kids love it!

I'm glad I'm not the only one that WWE did not work for! We're sticking with it since it was so pricey, but I plan on finding something else for next year and going easy with the kids on it this year. They have a hard time with dictation-my son has some auditory processing issues, so I'm mostly having him narrate and copy and doing very small dictation things with a ton of help just to work on what words he can spell more than anything.

We have Song School Latin and Greek and have yet to use them. I want Minimus Mouse at some point. Probably next year as we have soooo much going on already.

I do keep a blog but have been horrendously bad at keeping up on it lately. I have so much other stuff going on!

Old 10-20-2010, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome kittywitty! We started out on the Waldorf-inspired path when ds#1 was in K. I thought we'd do either Enki or Oak Meadow for all of them, but then personalities began to emerge and I realized dh and I had educational philosophies that line up best with classical education. So, half-way through 2nd grade, we switched back to a classical education (slowly). I love it and the boys are thriving, so I know it's a good fit for our family.

We were supposed to go hang with friends today at the park; we used to go to a local PE class on Wednesdays, but it's at 11:30 in the middle of the week and never worked well with our scheduling, so we stopped last spring (plus with baseball being our life around here, I needed to cut something). But, our friends still go and I figured we could go hang with them to play afterwards as it is our week off. But, it's been raining off and on since Monday, the sky is *very* dark out there, and the PE class was postponed. Overall, I'm not too bummed about it as the thought of sitting at a cold and damp park wasn't too appealing, and at least we got out to the library yesterday with some friends too, so not all is lost.

I'm working on my maternity plans this week - I am determined to have them done (and hopefully have everything filed for the year - I still have Latin to photocopy since we moved to a new chapter every week). Last night I typed out 16 copywork paragraphs for ds#1 to do - focusing not only on the form of paragraphs (indentation being the biggest), but also with quotations and commas in a series integrated into the paragraphs. I think I'm going to take one to two sentences from each of the paragraphs to make copywork for ds#2. We are taking 6 weeks off in total (between Thanksgiving week and New Years), but I figure we'll do about 4 weeks of "school", 4 days a week, during that time. I need to keep is fairly independent too as my mom said she'll sub a week or two for me.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:03 PM

MLW, I knew I was in Waldorf trouble when 2 year old DS would ONLY read DK books. The Waldorf teacher was NOT happy when she saw our library. To this day, DS HATES watercolors.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer3141 View Post
MLW, I knew I was in Waldorf trouble when 2 year old DS would ONLY read DK books. The Waldorf teacher was NOT happy when she saw our library. To this day, DS HATES watercolors.
Yea, mine aren't too keen on water colors either, especially if it's only primary colors. I knew we were in trouble when he wouldn't stop asking "why" and watching every program he could on Discovery, Nat Geo, and PBS Nature.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:41 PM

The problem is I really like Waldorf. But in practice, especially with 4 kids...it's really impractical! Not to mention my 4th grader was bored with the level of practice and her thoughts on the Man and Animal block basically amounted to laughter. So I think this is me giving up for good on being "waldorf homeschoolers" and just doing our own eclectic/classical thing. I need to re-read my WTM book. Is the newest edition worth getting? Is it much different? I think I have the 2nd edition. I requested the Latin Centered Curriculum book from the library again, but this is the 4th time in a year that I have requested it and it hasn't come, so I don't know if I'll actually get to read it.

I saw someone was talking about this book: http://www.lulu.com/product/paperbac...shelf/center/1 Is it worth getting? My 4th grader is phenomenal at memory work, but it's something she wants more challenge on and that I need to work with for the other kids.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

I have the 2nd edition of WTM and ended up buying the 3rd edition, mostly because it has an expanded section for logic stage, especially in terms of writing in history (outlining) and such. I have yet to compare the two editions side-by-side, but with my oldest entering the logic stage next year (well, I'd argue he's been there since he was 18 months old but he'll be a 5th grader this coming summer), and most of his programs "ending" at the end of fourth grade, I wanted a strong foundation for planning his "middle school years".

I do like the Living Memory book. I do not select all of our memory selections from it, but it has things ranging from appropriate for 2nd/3rd graders all the way up through very long pieces for high schoolers. It has selections for:
Latin
Greek
Arithmetic and Math
Grammar and Composition
Literature
Religion (Christianity)
Geography
World History
US History & Civics
Natural Sciences
Reference Charts

In the math section, for instance, it lists addition and multiplication facts, squares through 12x12, fractions expressed as decimals, as well as definitions (Euclid's definitions, definitions of triangles, the Pythagorean theorem). He has a "grammar catechism" that is written in the same manner as a religious catechism: "What are the eight parts of speech?" "Noun, pronoun, adjective ... "

It is an insane resource; though I don't use it exclusively, I love having it on the shelf, knowing I have memory work when needed at my fingertips. It also helps me remember to do more than just poetry (not that I'm a fan of memorizing just for the sake of memorizing, or memorizing items out of context).

Old 10-20-2010, 05:25 PM

Living Memory book for next year. Got it.

We survived another library trip. This is going to become my weekly rant but I really hate that so many of the classical history books for kids are just GONE. For the next 9 lessons, the library system had three of the supplemental readings out of about 50. Ack!

When we parted from Waldorf (aside from my rage over the entire karma as an explanation for DS' autism), I just came to peace with the idea that there are some kids who want the straight facts and can handle them and some kids who need to see watercolors. Who knows? The watercolor kids may all grow up to to be the world's artists...

My kids want cold hard facts and actual pictures. When there's lightning, they NEED to know why and fairies or gods with drums don't fly here. I personally still believe in fairies at least a little so I'm hoping that my kids do keep a strong sense of wonder at the world but really, isn't science just amazing anyway??

Old 10-20-2010, 08:28 PM

I am going to come on in here and say hi. My DS is only 3.5 and we have not started anything official yet, but I am spending at least 2 hours a day on TWTM forum (read earlier in the year) and reading Charlotte Mason's original books--I feel steeped in Classical and CM right now, so thought I'd head in here!

I am loving the first book of CM's, especially the lifestyle stuff (because that's all I've gotten to!) I already tend toward an early 20th century lifestyle anyway, so this is great!

On the Waldorf topic--We are Waldorf people to a large degree. DH was in Waldorf from the beginning to the end (well, until college), his mother has a masters in Waldorf Ed and his Mom and Dad helped start the Waldorf school in Richmond, VA. They are seriously connected in the anthroposophical world. We see an anthroposophical doctor (well, we rarely see a dr, but when we do, its him). We had a fantastic star chart done for DS with Star Wisdom (astrosophist--like anthroposophical astrologist). DS is 3.5 and totally screen-free, non-fiction book-free (no DK here ), no electronic toys at all. No alphabet toys (until very recently) and so on. Open-ended wood toys, etc. I don't wear many long shirts, but I like the idea.

So far our lifestyle has been 100% (well, like 97% maybe) Waldorf...BUT...

I too am finding that the pedagogy does not suit my son. He does enjoy the watercolor fairy books and stories and is not a "Facts only" kind of kid (wouldn't even occur to him I'd say), but he's seriously precocious and verbally 'gifted' (or whatever term you like--advanced, whatever). He talks like a 6 year old (and in some ways better than many adults). His reasoning skills are way older than his age (Waldorf MIL constantly harps on that!!) and he also started doing mental addition/subtraction at 2. It's obviously just who he came into this world as, his Waldorf early years did not "push" him to this, which is where our issues with Waldorf begin.

That is why I am loving Charlotte Mason so much--so much of her early life recommendations are in line with Waldorf--nature study and masterly inactivity. I am sure she'd speak against screens for little ones (its hard to spend all day outside if you are watching TV or on the computer!) Love that she says under 6 should be out collecting ants not looking at books about ants!

As for the classical approach, I think we'll lean heavier and heavier towards it as he gets older, especially by 10. From 6-10 it will likely be a nice blend of CM/Classical with some Waldorf lifestyle, arts, etc. thrown in!

I kind of think of us like non-practicing ____ (Catholics, Jews, whatever). Like we were born to it (well, DH) and we still really value the culture of it, but we don't necessarily "believe" it all nor do we practice it strictly.

So anyway, Hi! Can't wait to learn form you ladies!
Old 10-20-2010, 08:38 PM

We do some main lesson book-ish work. For instance, dd has bound blank books (just printer paper; Office Max or similar will bind them for you) for each subject. I think it's great because there's a consecutive record of her progress in a subject all in one place. I especially love her writing book because it's so cool to see how much better she's getting with handwriting (copywork) and spelling. It's real laid-back though.

I really like a lot of the Waldorf approach (like no video and Disney-type characters, quality open-ended toys, etc.). But yeah, my dd is waaaay to "in her head" for that to work here.

In general I pull our copywork from literature/poetry we're reading. Tho I'm totally ready to hand that over to someone else who has it all planned out for me . . . hence:

You all have pulled me over "to the dark side" on FLL! I've had the book since last year, and we never used it. I pulled it back out and decided that since the lessons are so short, we can probably fit it in. I think we are right on track with Crunchy for this one.

Memory work---Mother Goose!! Love, love, love it V has much of our short collection memorized. Her pride is "The Queen of Hearts" (she baked some tarts, you know ). We haven't really been doing memory work yet this year, but we'll probably just let FLL lead us on that one. We really enjoyed it last year.

You know . . . I don't have WTM My inspiration comes mostly from my own passions, I guess. I would like to go here for grad school *sigh* maybe when we've been here in our home for a while and can sell it for some profit *pining* I love their approach----the Science lab is amazing; they actually reproduce all of the work that whoever they're studying did to come to whatever conclusion. So no memorizing theorems, etc. It's all original work and understanding from source documents

This year, I'm all about easy, pick up and go curriculum (that's why we're doing SOTW). I really prefer "living books" and last year was no textbooks. This year, I have two wahm/wohm jobs and a new baby! Moving from an only doing K/1 work to a pretty "serious" 2nd grade curric with infant was a big adjustment for me. I feel really good about how dd's learning, and I'm really glad that I don't have to pull all the resources together myself. So I'm cool with it . . . for now! But maybe we'll get back to a more hands-on and living books approach eventually.

On that note, I think we're going for RSO, but I'm not sure which one to go with any btdt suggestions?

Old 10-20-2010, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Can I go to St. John's with you?! What an amazing-sounding college!

We are doing RSO Earth & Space this year. We are enjoying it. I think if I had started with RSO when ds#1 was younger (2nd grade or 3rd grade), I would have started with life science - I love life science, it fits pretty nicely with nature study, and the topics look like fun. I may do it with my younger ones yet, but ds#1 is getting too old for it (though I could probably do it but get ds#1 the Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia and have him outline the same topics but at a more advanced level ... hmm ).

We did (somewhat loosely) NOEO chemistry last year before we ditched it and did some work with simple machines. The ideas were a bit above their head yet (too untangible), but I think ds#1 and ds#2 are now getting to an age where it would make more sense.

So, all that to say, I'd start with RSO Life. It looks like fun.

We spent the better part of today cleaning. We have my mom's doggie until tomorrow; I love him so much (sometimes more than my dog, who I absolutely adore), but he's an Aussie Shepherd and sheds like it's going out of style. Oh my goodness, I don't know how my mom keeps up with all the hair (though she's not trying to keep up with it *and* three boys! ). So, all toys were picked up, all surfaces were vacuumed (well, almost ... ds#2 decided that he wasn't going to clean his room unless I came and did it for him ... we read the Aesop fable about the man who wanted Hercules to come move his cart for him ... the moral was "gods help those who help themselves" ). Anyway, we cleaned a lot. Dh will help ds#2 finish when he gets home and I'll get our room straightened so we can finish vacuuming, so we can do it again tomorrow. Did I mention how much I love my mom's dog though? (And in case anyone is wondering ... we have a poodle. He doesn't shed. I love it.)

Old 10-20-2010, 09:54 PM

can i please pop into your CM thread and ask what you ladies use for spelling???? thanks!

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

Old 10-20-2010, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizawill View Post
can i please pop into your CM thread and ask what you ladies use for spelling???? thanks!
Of course! We use All About Spelling. We started about 1 1/2 years ago (ds#1 was half-way through 2nd grade; ds#2 was in Kinder but he didn't start until that summer before he started 1st grade). I love the program. We have stopped using the tiles (I'll pull them back out when ds#3 starts the program), and do the lessons, words and dictation sentences on white boards.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiztic View Post
I don't wear many long shirts, but I like the idea.
Can you explain this a little more? I am not so familiar with the subculture to understand this reference, but I am curious.

eta and totally OT:
We just got home from picking up our farm share and oh my do we have some pumpkins---about a dozen drop whew! Now I am googling pumpkin recipes and wondering when I am going to find the time to process all these PUMPKINS!!!!

User Tag List