CM/Classical October Thread - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 242 Old 10-06-2010, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here's our September thread with a lot of good info in it, especially regarding various curriculum and resources.

It's a little here tonight (well, for us; it's probably balmy for others depending on geographic location ), so dh is putting on a fire and ds#1 requested that we pick back up reading Black Ships Before Troy, so I think after dinner, we'll do that. We are studying Greece in history, so it's fitting for the time period. Plus, when we finish Black Ships, we'll read the Barefoot Books version of The Adventures of Odysseus. It is beautifully done. We have read it before, but ds#1 was only about 6 and ds#2 was about 3 1/2. They both loved it (ds#2's favorite book around that time was Arabian Nights; I think he has good taste!), and I'm looking forward to reading it again.

Right now though I'm planning math for the second half of our school year (received SM 4A and 2B today, and I'm integrating Life of Fred Fractions for ds#1 - I'm so excited to start that with him). I realized that ds#1 will finish SM 4A before the end of our school year, but will work through LoF Fractions into the first part of 5th grade (summer of '11). While doing that, I'm listening to music from college (a now-defunct band from San Diego that I used to go see all the time with my best (guy) friend - it usually reminds me to enjoy the time I am in now as listening to the music makes me realize I didn't enjoy fully my time in college, always wanting to get to the next thing). Ok ... back to planning (and probably making dinner ... we are in this habit of eating late).

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#2 of 242 Old 10-07-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
I didn't like OPGTR. We had a lot of success with Hooked on Phonics (I love the readers) but my favorite is Phonics Pathways - same basic concept as OPGTR, but something about it makes it not dull and dry. (It's not scripted for one.) FLL would work for grammar, but you would still need something for phonics. FLL is kind of dry and is scripted, but it does lay a great foundation. We are taking a bit of a break from FLL and using Growing with Grammar, but I couldn't see having started with GWG without the background from FLL (and ds#1 is still doing FLL 3 on Fridays, and ds#2 will do FLL 2 with dh when I'm on maternity "leave"). I just needed a break from the teacher-intensiveness of it.

I haven't heard of using Cuisenaire rods for diagramming ... I'll have to google that too. Ds#1 is learning traditional diagramming this year; ds#2 will learn next year, but we all do sentence analysis through Michael Clay Thompson Island materials, and it would be cool to introduce a visual/manipulative especially for the more complex sentences.
nak

oh i know fll =/= phonics I was/am just worried since i don't like opgtr that i wont like fll :/ its not the scripting that bugs me so much as the samey-samey of every lesson. ugh ill look at phonics pathways. i know a lot of people like etc but that has a lot of writing doesnt it? and in a traditional script but i'm teaching italics....
#3 of 242 Old 10-07-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Here's our September thread with a lot of good info in it, especially regarding various curriculum and resources.

It's a little here tonight (well, for us; it's probably balmy for others depending on geographic location ), so dh is putting on a fire and ds#1 requested that we pick back up reading Black Ships Before Troy, so I think after dinner, we'll do that. We are studying Greece in history, so it's fitting for the time period. Plus, when we finish Black Ships, we'll read the Barefoot Books version of The Adventures of Odysseus. It is beautifully done. We have read it before, but ds#1 was only about 6 and ds#2 was about 3 1/2. They both loved it (ds#2's favorite book around that time was Arabian Nights; I think he has good taste!), and I'm looking forward to reading it again.

Right now though I'm planning math for the second half of our school year (received SM 4A and 2B today, and I'm integrating Life of Fred Fractions for ds#1 - I'm so excited to start that with him). I realized that ds#1 will finish SM 4A before the end of our school year, but will work through LoF Fractions into the first part of 5th grade (summer of '11). While doing that, I'm listening to music from college (a now-defunct band from San Diego that I used to go see all the time with my best (guy) friend - it usually reminds me to enjoy the time I am in now as listening to the music makes me realize I didn't enjoy fully my time in college, always wanting to get to the next thing). Ok ... back to planning (and probably making dinner ... we are in this habit of eating late).
I guess I will hop over here as well

Lots of interesting thoughts about spelling and grammar and such. The diagramming sentences sounds, very, very interesting. I was looking at something the other day called The Sentence Family but it seemed to be recommended for older children. I was looking at the FLL samples yesterday and it looks like it might be doable. I just wonder if it is best for him.

I am also w/ BG though in the delayed academics though. From my reading though that does line up w/ Classical ed. Most info says nothing formal until 6 and then pretty basic reading, writing, math and nature study.

Today we have tons of things lined up and just hope we get to them all.

eta.

Thanks for the rec of the books MLW- I will have to see if I can get those ILL.

in regards to the delayed academics I know my son wasn't ready for anything until about 5.5, something just clicked with him. But who knows dd1 was counting to 10 2 yrs before ds!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#4 of 242 Old 10-07-2010, 10:47 AM

Good morning! Happy October!

MLW, you are a really bad influence. I ordered the new FLL. What I should do now is return 100 Easy... I HATED that book.
I also had a shopping cart FULL of rescue boooks. Since we're adding REAL science, now my book load has doubled. The library is 20 miles away. It's easy for me to justify spending $3 on a reader instead of driving to the library. I'll have my friend track down the $10 books in our library system hopefully. The library has to have William Sears' kid nutrition book, right?!?!?

So we'll do more science a'la WTM today and do the rainforest. The kids are watching a DVD from NG on the rainforest right now. Then we've got a couple of history things to do. Then the readers and/or math. That depends on whether or not this is a 1-2 hour math day.

It's Thursday and if I get my Netflix out in the mailbox before 11:00, I should be able to get two new DVDs by the weeknd. It's a mad rush around here.
"Just watch it and learn something!!"

Tomorrow, we're going to hit the big library. The kids want to start dolphins next week and I have no idea what our earth thing will be.

I also want to get the worm bin cleaned out today. That's always exciting around here!! We need to make room for more scraps and I've got prime worm dirt more than ready.

My science/history buddy and I have decided to start a cooking club. I gave the kids ravioli-Os TWICE last week because we'd done school, or something school-ish until late at night every day. We have another health conscious friend who homeschools who is all over the idea too. So if we all make a dish to share once a week, we'll have some meals covered for when those, "Why is everyone so crabby? Wait! It's 8:00 and no one has eaten!" moments that we seem to have so often.
(Don't shoot me for the ravioli-Os, please. I thought that was homemade food when I was a kid. )

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#5 of 242 Old 10-07-2010, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Rana View Post
nak

oh i know fll =/= phonics I was/am just worried since i don't like opgtr that i wont like fll :/ its not the scripting that bugs me so much as the samey-samey of every lesson. ugh ill look at phonics pathways. i know a lot of people like etc but that has a lot of writing doesnt it? and in a traditional script but i'm teaching italics....
I'm sorry I misunderstood. Yea, FLL is quite scripted, though at least based on my experiences with the two (FLL and OPGTR), FLL was more doable. For me, it was something that I could preread and then either choose to use the scripted lesson or reword it to teach it in a much simpler way. For some reason OPGTR didn't have that same feel to me.

Phonics Pathways doesn't have writing in it (though it does say that you can use the words for dictation/spelling practice if you wish). Otherwise, it'll reading - it introduces a sound/phonogram, talks about why/how/when it is used in words and then has a lot of reading practice with it. Maybe you are thinking of Explode the Code, which is a phonics program but also has a lot of writing? We like that too - but use it as independent work to reinforce what the older two are doing in reading and spelling. (Oh, and though we used HWOT for manuscript and cursive, neither had any issues with the font/script being different in ETC - I told them to write their responses in whatever they were doing - cursive or manuscript.)

#6 of 242 Old 10-07-2010, 04:24 PM

Our hamster bit the dust. I had a love/hate relationship with that little guy. Cute, but he bit the crapola out of my kids.

So after the library tomorrow, I'm sure we'll have to stop at the pet store and look around...

I've got to get back to our rainforest reports...

Everyone else ok today?

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#7 of 242 Old 10-07-2010, 04:35 PM

Lots done today and more planned.

Did math, working on 10's this week- the lesson said to take 2-3 days so we took 3 as I wanted it to sink in well. I am enjoying it now that we are getting more to games. We read King Lear today and watched a little video of it online. We learned some about the Wampanoag's and built a wetu, the kids thought it great fun to play in the mud. We started Stuart Little as our next read aloud and our enjoying it very well. I was perusing on the Great Books program and going through the early years Good Books program looking at recommended books. I love reading lists of books!

We are getting ready to do reading for today(now that the girls are asleep). I believe we will be doing Science tonight or tomorrow night I like to have a good chunk of time to devote to it.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#8 of 242 Old 10-07-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer3141 View Post
Our hamster bit the dust. I had a love/hate relationship with that little guy. Cute, but he bit the crapola out of my kids.

So after the library tomorrow, I'm sure we'll have to stop at the pet store and look around...

I've got to get back to our rainfprest reports...

Everyone else ok today?
Do you have room for a bit bigger of a cage? Guinea pigs are awesome pets for kids. They aren't noctural, so they won't keep you awake all night, and they don't bite like a hamster. They may nibble on your finger if you stick it right in front of their nose, but they don't bite out of fear or anything. We have four and they love to snuggle on our laps and watch tv with us.

ETA ~ Pictures of our girls.
Bandit Sweet Pea Hera S, B, H, Together
Lucky soon after being born (she's on the right, her brother had to find a new home so we didn't end up with more babies)

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (7) and Nathaniel (6).  Expecting Olivia in August! 

#9 of 242 Old 10-07-2010, 09:26 PM

Jessica, my kids would LOVE piggies. But we have two angora rabbits. I think what we might do is take a tortoise from our friend who has two - she just doesn't think this one gets enough attention in our house. And we have no reptile representation yet...

I feel badly that a member of the family died and all but the first thing I really thought when DD came down crying was, "Wheeee!!! One less cage to clean!"

#10 of 242 Old 10-07-2010, 09:33 PM

And crunchy, I had to look up Wampanoags to make sure I had it right.

I love reading what you all are doing!!!

We're doing Crete this week and reading the myths about Theseus and Aegeus and the minotaur. I find it fascinating how the same character can be portrayed so differently. We've got the Storytell DVD by Jim Henson on the Greek myths. Theseus is really a jerk to Ariadne in that one. (How'd you like your hero to come to you drunk at the butt crack of dawn, have his way with you, and then sneak off in his ship and abandon you on a deserted island??) And then in many of our kids books, he's the hero of Athens - but kind of dim-witted.

#11 of 242 Old 10-07-2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
And crunchy, I had to look up Wampanoags to make sure I had it right.

I love reading what you all are doing!!!

We're doing Crete this week and reading the myths about Theseus and Aegeus and the minotaur. I find it fascinating how the same character can be portrayed so differently. We've got the Storytell DVD by Jim Henson on the Greek myths. Theseus is really a jerk to Ariadne in that one. (How'd you like your hero to come to you drunk at the butt crack of dawn, have his way with you, and then sneak off in his ship and abandon you on a deserted island??) And then in many of our kids books, he's the hero of Athens - but kind of dim-witted.
My daughter (12) and I recently read The King Must Die by Mary Renault. It is historical fiction about Theseus and it was wonderful. Definitely a pg-13ish type rating, so read it yourself before sharing with the kiddos! It did a great job of illustrating beliefs of the time in respect to the the physical and cultural realities of the time. The gods and goddesses, mythological creatures, and heroic feats were depicted in a way that was believable and you could see the myths we know today growing from this 'real' story.
#12 of 242 Old 10-07-2010, 11:51 PM

here

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#13 of 242 Old 10-08-2010, 12:48 AM

Today was pretty good. Pluggin along. Off to lay down my sausage like limbs.....darn baby!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#14 of 242 Old 10-08-2010, 02:35 AM

Quote:
I didn't like OPGTR. We had a lot of success with Hooked on Phonics (I love the readers) but my favorite is Phonics Pathways - same basic concept as OPGTR, but something about it makes it not dull and dry. (It's not scripted for one.) FLL would work for grammar, but you would still need something for phonics. FLL is kind of dry and is scripted, but it does lay a great foundation. We are taking a bit of a break from FLL and using Growing with Grammar, but I couldn't see having started with GWG without the background from FLL (and ds#1 is still doing FLL 3 on Fridays, and ds#2 will do FLL 2 with dh when I'm on maternity "leave"). I just needed a break from the teacher-intensiveness of it.

I haven't heard of using Cuisenaire rods for diagramming ... I'll have to google that too. Ds#1 is learning traditional diagramming this year; ds#2 will learn next year, but we all do sentence analysis through Michael Clay Thompson Island materials, and it would be cool to introduce a visual/manipulative especially for the more complex sentences.
At first, I strongly disliked Phonics Pathways, but seeing dd's massive improvement this year has made me a believer. Honestly, I just find it incredibly boring. But perhaps that's just the nature of the phonics beast, and PP seems to be a better choice than many . . .

I am so glad you reminded me of diagramming w/ Cuisenaire rods; I had noted that previously and then forgot about it. For now we're not doing any grammar, though I may start doing the Montessori-style presentations casually on Fridays.

I'm so proud of myself I have all of our Language Arts and Math planned out for the year, doing four-day weeks. I believe that will allow us to use Friday for "fun stuff" and Science, History, etc. So I'm getting closer to figuring it all out.

Maybe it's just her age, but dd poops out on school after only a couple of hours of work. It's a challenge to optimize our productive time.

We've been reading the King Arthur stories collection from the YC site (title of book escapes me now ). We are really enjoying it. With that, Robin Hood, and Shakespeare planned for this year's literature, I'm wondering if I should switch history to Medieval since we haven't actually started anything for History yet? Hmmm . . . .

Curric. ?:
Has anyone tried English for the Thoughtful Child? If so, your two cents please. DD really only has the stamina to write down one or two sentences still, but I think we may be able to work up to it toward the end of the year if we keep doing copywork and dictating her spelling words. I like that they are writing about art in the program . . .

Happy and in love with my family!
#15 of 242 Old 10-08-2010, 07:04 PM

Jennifer the Greek Myths dvd sounds really good! I hope I can remember all of this when we do those things next year! Sorry to hear about the hamster

craftmediahero- I am totally impressed that you have next year all planned out! I am still working on next year's lesson plans. I cannot see planning out math though. I worry I will plan and he will go faster or slower than I planned. We are doing some Shakespeare this year as well and I have planned to do some Robin Hood as well.

We did BFSU science last night, which I have been making very laid back. I introduce a concept we play around w/ something that illustrates the concept- my assistants Mr. Nye and Mrs. Frizzle talk about it a bit and then we play some more. We still didn't end up doing Latin this week, hmmm, maybe tomorrow.

Oh, and I have changed my mind. I think we will start spelling. I got some more info about AAS and think it would be a good compliment for what we are doing and will go at a slow enough pace as well. I looked more into grammar as well but I still don't think it would be a good idea for ds at his level. I do think I will start some basic dictation w/ words he does know I think he would like that. I do dream of dictation of classical works and such but I have to be on his level though!

#16 of 242 Old 10-08-2010, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

I remember when my oldest was younger and being so excited to do more things when he got older.

Crunchy - I love your science teaching assistants! We often employ Ms. Frizzle around here too. We've been studying rocks and minerals and it makes me wish my grandpa was still here - he was a "Rock Hound" and spent most of his adult life collecting specimens (he also was a ship captain and sailed all over the world - I should have written down his stories).

Today went well - we started slowly (what's new ), and used our SSL Monkey Match cards to play memory. Then we read another chapter in Minimus and discussed the use of adverbs in English versus Latin, and then the boys used 3 verbs and 3 adverbs to make sentences (for instance: Equito diligenter. - hopefully I'm remembering the spelling correctly; I'm too lazy to get up a check - which means I ride carefully). We also did some English derivatives based on the vocabulary introduced in the chapter.

After math, we did Nature Study, apples this week. Unfortunately I didn't have two varieties of apples (only gala today), so instead we compared an apple to a pear. We did the journal page in the Autumn ebook and also did a Venn-diagram on the two. Then, it was art ... we did contour drawing where we sketched a couple objects without looking at our papers but only the object. That was fun (though I had to make it very clear before we began that our drawings would not be perfect and they may not even resemble the actual object and that this is an exercise that artists do throughout their lives to train their hands to follow their eyes). Then, we did the Sketch Tuesday "prompt", which is always fun. Last week the boys had a blast seeing their drawings on the slide show.

#17 of 242 Old 10-08-2010, 08:53 PM

Subbing. We've been Waldorf homeschoolers, but now I consider us more Waldorf-inspired, with lots of Classical/Charlotte Mason thrown in.

My kiddos are Noah (almost 9. 3rd grade), Lilah (6, Kindy-1stish), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#18 of 242 Old 10-08-2010, 10:51 PM

Craft, English for the Thoughtful Child sounds delightful. Have you found any more information about it?

Crunchy, I'll lend you the DVD next year if you like.

MLW, you are doing so much Latin. Do you think your kids have a scientific or legal bend? DH went to medical school and he had a good friend who knew Latin insanely well. That guy aced medical school!

#19 of 242 Old 10-09-2010, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Craft, English for the Thoughtful Child sounds delightful. Have you found any more information about it?

Crunchy, I'll lend you the DVD next year if you like.

MLW, you are doing so much Latin. Do you think your kids have a scientific or legal bend? DH went to medical school and he had a good friend who knew Latin insanely well. That guy aced medical school!
We joke that our oldest is a lawyer at heart the way he "argues" his cases. I'm actually looking forward to formal logic and rhetoric with him. But, really the Latin is there just to learn - not only to help with English development, but also with logical development, help us with Spanish, French and Italian in the future, and really, just to unlock the language. They think they also want to learn Greek, so we'll see. I'm just enjoying their love of things that would otherwise be deemed as "uncool" in school.

#20 of 242 Old 10-09-2010, 09:46 AM

Good morning!

We went to the library and used our new cards yesterday. Oh, the pleasure of lifting 80 pounds of books and knowing we can take them all home.
DS has fallen in love with another set of books. They are cars and trucks with faces but at least they are not Disney. I read him the book and he does the, "Zoom! Boom!" and my mama heart melts. His speech deficit is readily apparent during reading though. I'm not sure how much longer we'll take with the "wait and see" approach.

We've got to get reading. Anyone got anything extra good planned this weekend??

#21 of 242 Old 10-09-2010, 01:57 PM

We've had a fairly laid back week, because there was no art or dance classes to get to because it is the Thanksgiving weekend here.

My daughter has discovered the starfall webside, and has been motoring through the books there. We only have five lessons of the Tanglewood phonics reader left, and I'd like to get them done, but she finds them incredibly boring - and really I can't blame her. I think reading real books is more fun too.

I think Latin has a lot of advantages as a way to learn English grammar. I didn't learn much formal grammar in school, everything I know came from my university Latin classes. And I know quite a few older people who said that Latin was taught to them primarily as a means to learn English grammar. We won't be doing Latin for a few years yet though, I'd like dd's reading and writing to be fairly confident first. Since we're still in the oral world (I almost wrote oral phase but then thought better of it) I thought we would stick to a language she could really experience orally at this point.

Craft, I haven't used English for the Thoughtful Child, but I picked it up used. Quite a lot of it is done orally. I think it is something you could easily spread out with other things, and do in a different order than what it is presented in. So you could, if you wanted to, save the more writing oriented tasks for later.

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
#22 of 242 Old 10-09-2010, 06:35 PM

We went to the Walters Art Gallery [Baltimore] and saw the Egyptian collection. DS was quite excited about the mummies, recognized Osiris and cartouches, and did a puzzle of an Egyptian boat. We also saw a few other things, and he did an art project. Fun day!
#23 of 242 Old 10-09-2010, 07:25 PM

Oh, to be within easy traveling distance of a museum with Egyptian stuff!!

We went to a museum this afternoon but it was for the town of Empire, Michigan. They were having their "Heritage Day" festival which was supposed to have apple butter making, a cider press, etc...
There was apple butter on a Saltine cracker and there was a cider press but apparently, you have to 118 years old to volunteer at the festival and when you're that age, you really only want to chat with your neighbors apparently.

My kids did freak out at the schoolhouse though. DD asked how anyone learns without their mama there.

FLL came today though. I intend to curl up in bed tonight and see what it's about.

Bluegoat, you're in Canada! We just checked a book out of our library about Thanksgiving in Canada because all the Halloween books were out. Happy Thanksgiving!!!

And we got rainforests done!!! Woot!
Onto deserts and domesticated cats and then dolphins. And Tuesday will be REAL science and history day.

#24 of 242 Old 10-09-2010, 07:46 PM

I was so excited to learn we had mummies so close. Apparently there used to be some in DC too, but maybe not anymore. If you google "mummies museums" you'll get a list of museums that have mummies.

It's a tricky thing, really. Apparently Egypt isn't really happy with all these Egyptian artifacts in museums all over the world. Most of them were stolen at some point in history. But if they were all in Egypt then we couldn't take our kids there to see some of them, ya know? DS was SOO EXCITED to see the mummies. I was so proud of all he remembered about Egyptian history and geography. If all the artifacts were returned to their "rightful owners", he'd never be able to experience that. But I understand their point. To a point. *sigh*
#25 of 242 Old 10-09-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegoat View Post

Craft, I haven't used English for the Thoughtful Child, but I picked it up used. Quite a lot of it is done orally. I think it is something you could easily spread out with other things, and do in a different order than what it is presented in. So you could, if you wanted to, save the more writing oriented tasks for later.
Thanks for the review! It's good to know that we could still use it and downplay the writing element for now. DD has an excellent grasp of English and has been verbally "gifted" or whatever since she was little---it's funny; the language part comes really naturally to her, but the written word is cumbersome (at least for now).

I think I will probably order it and start looking through it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
craftmediahero- I am totally impressed that you have next year all planned out! I am still working on next year's lesson plans. I cannot see planning out math though. I worry I will plan and he will go faster or slower than I planned. We are doing some Shakespeare this year as well and I have planned to do some Robin Hood as well.
Well, I didn't exactly plan out every worksheet, I just looked at the topics that are in both of our programs (Singapore 2A/B and Miquon Blue/Green) for the year and allotted what I think will be enough time for each and kind of re-ordered and re-arranged some so that the topics mostly relate to each other. I think we will have enough time, and with a 36wk year (starting Monday even though we've been working for a month already), we actually have 2-3 wks left at the tail end of our calendar, so we can go back through and hit anything we missed or that needs extra review. I hope.

Here's the Google Doc if anyone wants to see: Singapore 2A/B - Miquon Blue/Green It is for a 4 day week, and I included the Reviews, which we skipped last year, so I think we will have enough time. The fifth day (Friday) just has the topic names right now, but I'm going to try to include some Montessori activities that will help solidify the concepts.

I know we will not get through every page, tho.

Oh, I have decided to order the Child Size Masterpieces materials from parentchildpress. It's years of art appreciation that I can use with both kids, and we can order our own postcards to expand later once we get the hang of the method.

Whoot Getting a handle on it and having fun. Just have to get that Sci/Soc going back in our lives. Adding one at a time so each one's solid.

Happy and in love with my family!
#26 of 242 Old 10-10-2010, 12:30 AM

Mama, we read NG magazine passionately and watch a ton of their newer documentaries on mummies. It's really sad how the entire world has stolen Egypt's heritage away - even throwing Ramses II's father (or was it his grandfather?) into a Niagara Falls museum with no one realizing who he was. It's sick.

MLW, you're quiet today. You ok?

#27 of 242 Old 10-10-2010, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Oh, to be within easy traveling distance of a museum with Egyptian stuff!!

We went to a museum this afternoon but it was for the town of Empire, Michigan. They were having their "Heritage Day" festival which was supposed to have apple butter making, a cider press, etc...
There was apple butter on a Saltine cracker and there was a cider press but apparently, you have to 118 years old to volunteer at the festival and when you're that age, you really only want to chat with your neighbors apparently.

My kids did freak out at the schoolhouse though. DD asked how anyone learns without their mama there.

That is the sweetest comment by your dd! We had a mummy exhibit at a local museum about 2 years ago that the boys and I saw - it was fascinating. To look at the mummies and realize someone's remains were in there and that those remains were as old as they were was mind boggling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Rana View Post
It's a tricky thing, really. Apparently Egypt isn't really happy with all these Egyptian artifacts in museums all over the world. Most of them were stolen at some point in history. But if they were all in Egypt then we couldn't take our kids there to see some of them, ya know? DS was SOO EXCITED to see the mummies. I was so proud of all he remembered about Egyptian history and geography. If all the artifacts were returned to their "rightful owners", he'd never be able to experience that. But I understand their point. To a point. *sigh*
I can see their point too. I wonder if there was a way to have them on traveling exhibits where not all of them were in the US or other countries at the same time, but some were home in Egypt and some made their way through museums in the US, Canada, and other countries. They wouldn't be here all the time to go see, but then maybe when they were in a particular country/city, it would be a huge deal and actually cause more people to become educated on ancient Egypt because of all the excitement surrounding the limited-time exhibit? Isn't that what was done with King Tut? I remember there being a big exhibit here a year or two ago and it was a huge deal. I see why Egypt would want their mummies (and pharaohs) back, but I also see the need to have them around the world for everyone to enjoy and from which to learn.

Quote:
MLW, you're quiet today. You ok?
I'm doing fine ... just was busy doing an enormous amount of laundry (usually I do one load a day so I only have a couple extra ones on the weekend, but this last week I did 1 load the whole week), plus a bunch of gardening and grocery shopping. Oh man am I exhausted! But, the boysenberry bush is pruned back (I had no idea that the vines would root themselves every foot or two and put down huge root balls that did not want to be pulled out), the blueberries are mulched, and the grass is mown (dh did that part and the boys helped me with the plants). We still have more to do, but at least most of the big stuff is done. Dh has a furlough on Monday so we have a short day - just Latin (starting a new chapter), math, and probably IEW writing. I told ds#1 that the more we do on Monday the less we'll have on Friday.

We were going to go to a local farm this coming Monday for a corn maze, pumpkin patch, petting zoo, "wagon" ride around the whole farm (25 acres or something huge), and then to buy some fresh produce, but it's supposed to be in the upper 80's and my very pregnant body (and my feet) just can't do the heat anymore. So, either we will miss it this year (we haven't been in a couple years) or my mom & I will take them when the weather cools a bit.

#28 of 242 Old 10-10-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Mama, we read NG magazine passionately and watch a ton of their newer documentaries on mummies. It's really sad how the entire world has stolen Egypt's heritage away - even throwing Ramses II's father (or was it his grandfather?) into a Niagara Falls museum with no one realizing who he was. It's sick.
I know, it's disgusting. [actually I didn't know specifically about Niagara; we go there every couple years; I'll have to look into that] Mummies were people, their resting places have been looted and desecrated, and that's wrong and disgusting. I don't condone it.
But
The damage has already been done. The artifacts are already here, the tombs emptied. It's not like we're burning the mummies to light our cities. I just feel like giving everything back won't really undo the harm that has already be done, and because of it, my son and others have the chance to learn even more about it and become even more passionate about the subject.
And for what it's worth, HE agreed with that guy--shoot, I always forget his first name, the chief Egyptologist, Something Hawass--anyway, DS agreed that the stolen artifacts should be returned. In all the excitement yesterday I didn't think to ask him whether he's changed his mind now that he got to see them.
#29 of 242 Old 10-10-2010, 01:41 PM

The Niagara mummy is a fascinating story...

Some junko museum in Niagara bought a mummy about 100 years ago, when buying/stealing Egyptian artifacts was all the rage. He was on display at one of the freaky Niagara "museums" for a long time.

A mummy collector offered to buy the collection. Then he turned around and sold the mummy to a museum in Georgia which decided to actually examine the mummy. When they started to really dig into the mummy, they discovered some really odd things like the fingers and toes were in REALLY good shape, there were gold caps, etc. Those were the kinds of things that were done only for pharoahs. So they asked Egypt for help. Zahi Hawass (the Egyptologist you're preobably thinking of) became aware of it and through DNA testing and other stuff, they discovered this museum in Georgia was holding onto was Ramses I.

We had a PHAROAH on display as part of the freak show in Niagara. Nice.

Anyway, the Atlantan museum returned Ramses I to Egypt and it was pretty neat because they treated his mummy as royalty and rolled out the red carpet for his return.

I can see what you're saying, Mama. Lots of artifacts have already been scattered to the four winds from Egypt. But I do think that when we become aware of injustices, that we are beholden to correct them. So that doesn't fly in my family's personal ethics.

However, Hawass isn't really doing the whole movement much good when he runs around the planet cursing Britain and making incredibly anti-Semitic statements. Plus, he seems like a bit of an attention 'ho.

I remember when some Tut thing toured the country as a kid. We traveled to Chicago to see it and we spent about a week of our lives doing it. It was amazing. They could do tours like that and it would probably only increase the interest in ancient Egypt. I also think modern Egypt would do this as often as possible because they really do like thousands of people oohing and ahhing over their stuff.

We're going to hit a corn maze this afternoon, MLW. We did history and science this morning. It's time for a lunch/play break and then we'll do a reader or two. And math! It's math day!

#30 of 242 Old 10-10-2010, 05:01 PM

Typed out a long post and lost internet signal.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page