Singapore math - which books?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-07-2010, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am looking into the Singapore Math (standards edition 1A and 1B) and an not sure which books you NEED. He likes the Miquon Orange that we have been using. He suddenly likes math workbooks and is enjoy one of the singapore K workbooks I picked up from a Momma here. He learns better thru discovery and play vs direct instruction.
I am definitely getting the workbook, but not sure if I need the textbook...is the textbook basically beneficial for larger, classroom settings? I don't know if I need the Home Instructors Guide either....what exactly is in it? It is mainly an answer key? What about the extra practice book?

If you use Singapore for the early elem ages - what books do you use?? Which ones have you found aren't really beneficial?

THANKS!
#2 of 7 Old 10-07-2010, 12:43 PM
AAK

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
For 1A and 1B save money and just get the workbooks.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#3 of 7 Old 10-07-2010, 05:32 PM

We are about to start 1b and I have the textbook, workbook, CWP and IP. I will begin to use the HiG when we start 2a. I use the textbook for teaching and my big girl works in selected pages in the workbook (I don't make her do the "easier stuff). This is the first time I bought the IP book, so I'm not sure how we will use it. I have a very bright math student and I've heard to use the IP instead of the workbook so that's something I'll also keep in mind.
#4 of 7 Old 10-11-2010, 03:48 AM

I got the text & workbooks at first, and we ended up just using the textbooks. There are plenty of practice problems in the text (IMO), and we used them as non-consumables.

I've never looked at the instructor's guide , but I've also never missed it. There have been a few times when I've felt the need to Google something (like when I couldn't remember the term "cuboid"), but overall, it's fairly straightforward.

Ulrike, mom to:
Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)
#5 of 7 Old 10-11-2010, 04:20 AM

We actually only use the workbooks and are on 3B, however, I'll probably need to get the teacher's guide &/or textbook by 4a.

Sara: Separated Mom to , DD (9), , DS (5), DD (3), , & 4/5/10 + 2 & 1
#6 of 7 Old 10-11-2010, 11:34 AM

I like using the workbook and textbook together. We do the workbook every day, and the textbook for the exercises when we need more work in an area.
#7 of 7 Old 10-11-2010, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!
I ended up ordering most of it - I know I probably won't need it. But I am struggling to figure out a way to make math more enticing for him. He asked for the textbook when he saw me looking at the site - so maybe that means he'll be willing to use it. And I could use a few more ideas, so I ordered the HIG.

Originally we'd gotten the MUS alpha and he was LOVING it. He begged for me to leave him homework to do while Daddy was studying for his classes. First few weeks, he watched the videos and played the games I left but didn't do any of the worksheets. I didn't care - but one day I was running late for work and didnt make a point of leaving specific homework. Dh was asking why I wasn't leaving more for them and I made a flippant comment about the homework folder has sat untouched for 3 weeks, and they could figure out by themselves which video would fit with the week's studies. DH took it personally and forced DS to complete a math worksheet before he let him watch the video or play any cool school games (or do anything else from what I gathered from DS after the fact). It totally soured DS on math and especially on MUS. The next day I got out his math stuff, and he refused to even come to the table. Such a huge change, finally he came to the table and cried and told me about the night before.... We have gotten to the point, almost 2 months later, that he will play and build iwth his math blocks but he still totally shuts down if he sees a MUS sheet or book. I ordered a Singapore workbook and it was a hit. I just got the Miquon book too and that seems to be a hit.

I just don't know what to do... We took time off, we just played. He still can't get over the MUS aversion though. I like the Miquon, and just bought a bunch of C. rods today to go with it. And some Unifix cube suduku boards. And a pattern block set I have been meaning to get anyways... Already have unifix cubes, "gem" counters, dice, dominoes, cards, etc.

Thinking I will intro the topic with some Miquon self discovery to break the ice and then follow it up with Singapore. They should work together well right? I hear that alot of people supplement with Miquon, but I think the self discovery makes more sense as an opener than as a supplement after the fact for practice. I'd rather use the Singapore as practice I think.... Anyone use the both together??

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page