Saxon users...Starting not in September? - Mothering Forums
Learning at Home and Beyond > Saxon users...Starting not in September?
dubatatamama's Avatar dubatatamama 05:13 PM 10-08-2010
I just purchased Saxon math K from another very generous MDC mama

DS is very excited (as am I) to "do math". I am a little confused how to begin, though, because the meeting book is designed to start in September. He already knows his months, days of the week, etc., so maybe I can just start in October?? Will that mess anything up? Should I just do the lessons and skip over the meeting book for now?

dubatatamama's Avatar dubatatamama 10:12 PM 10-08-2010
Anyone??
teastaigh's Avatar teastaigh 10:33 PM 10-08-2010
Yes, you can start at any month. The monthly meeting book was helpful for us to get the routine down -- especially as we weren't too structured overall.

I really like Saxon Math. We're using it now for the 9th year. For the first few years, the lessons are "scripted" as you've probably seen. I think this probably nice for anyone who needs a little nudge or encouragement in their teaching of math. Other folks choose not to follow the script but to paraphrase and use their own words. You've probably figured all of that out already.

peace,
teastaigh
dubatatamama's Avatar dubatatamama 10:59 PM 10-08-2010
Thanks so much for your input! Glad to hear you have been happy with Saxon!
heatherdeg's Avatar heatherdeg 05:36 AM 10-09-2010
Yup... you can start whenever. Just move the patterns to the month you start in (K does patterning in the calendar). I think they try to coordinate the colors of the patterns to the season, but you can just use the color for the month (look ahead) and the pattern they're currently working on. Or whatever.

We're on hiatus because life has been chaotic and we're in a "healing" phase. Ds is anti-learning and I have to kind of just follow that. BUT, I am getting some books from the MathStart series from the library.
Handsomesmomma's Avatar Handsomesmomma 02:11 PM 10-10-2010
We switched to Saxon math after first quarter last year and we have loved it! The others are right and you can begin whenever you want. I hope you and your son love it too! My son who was previously frustrated with math enjoys it now

Ann-Marie
Up