Montessori at home? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-19-2010, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hope it's okay to put this here and not in the Montessori section!

I have one book on Montessori (this one) and was wondering if anyone had done some of the Montessori stuff at home?

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#2 of 7 Old 10-19-2010, 09:25 AM

Yep, we use Montessori ideals to homeschool my 3 year old...and my 1 year old joins in. I have a blog that I use to keep records of our work if you want to see... http://barefootinsuburbia.wordpress.com . There is also a Montessori homeschooling thread (I believe it's in the Montessori section).

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#3 of 7 Old 10-19-2010, 02:28 PM

We are doing a more Montessori approach at home. Honestly, we are using some of the over-arching principals of Montesorri without getting into specifics since I am still learning.
We plan to transition to a mainly Montessorian approach by next year.

We use picture/name cards to go with objects, sensorial materials, some math, some science and use a time line for history. It is a slow and steady process.
I have a list of ideas/materials that I keep in my purse, so if I find something for reasonable or cheap, I can purchase it.

Our main goal is - un-interrupted work time, mastering skills, and learning to work together and by ourselves.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#4 of 7 Old 10-19-2010, 02:42 PM

I know you didn't post in the Montessori board, but there is a big homeschool thread going on there. It might help.
#5 of 7 Old 10-19-2010, 02:49 PM

I've read a bit about a montessori approach working well with kids like my 7yo dd. I'm interested in this, but don't know where to start. I think I'll go lurk on the Montessori board and read a while, learn about it and see if it is something I can implement in my homeschool for her.

Cat- FT ministry student and Sonlight hsing momma to a wild crew of girls
Melissa 4/03, Lydia 5/04, Kimberly 1/06, and Jordan 9/07

And waiting impatiently on baby Isaiah ******* to appear around 3/12

#6 of 7 Old 10-19-2010, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBronsil View Post
I know you didn't post in the Montessori board, but there is a big homeschool thread going on there. It might help.
I bookmarked it to read when I don't have a child trying to play with the keyboard

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#7 of 7 Old 10-19-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
I bookmarked it to read when I don't have a child trying to play with the keyboard
Great. We look forward to your response in 18 years. Haha

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page