GED testing at age 16? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-01-2010, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did anyone have their children take their state GED test? Is it a benefit or something you would not bother with again?

My dd is not a big fan of schooling.Currently Montessori. I think she would really dislike online schooling for upper grades. I know she disliked public school.

I have suggested she homeschool when the time is right,learn what interests her,and take the GED test at the earliest age.In Ohio it is 16 if approval is given by parents and the district super.

I see no reason why she needs to stay in *school* till 18,or go to public high school when her Montessori school ends at grade 8. I think the GED should be acceptable for my dh,and it is something accepted for getting into local colleges when she would want to do that(if she does).

What have your teens done when they were 16-18?
#2 of 10 Old 11-01-2010, 11:46 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
My DD took the GED at 16 & immediately went into college classes & working PT. She homeschooled, well, unschooled really, from 4th grade until then. She's 19 now & doing great.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#3 of 10 Old 11-02-2010, 02:33 AM

My personal advice is that I wouldn't have her take the GED. I don't know if some states say they "require" a GED, but homeschooling is legal in every state and a homeschooling diploma with a portfolio/resume should suffice. If a student has all the necessary education/knowledge to "graduate" at a younger age, I would demonstrate that in another way. Better to take the SAT or some other standardized testing. (I realize that those are for college admission.) The GED has a stigma of "dropout" attached to it...it states that the student never "finished" their education and may make it harder to get a job or apply for further education.
#4 of 10 Old 11-02-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalMamma View Post
My personal advice is that I wouldn't have her take the GED. I don't know if some states say they "require" a GED, but homeschooling is legal in every state and a homeschooling diploma with a portfolio/resume should suffice. If a student has all the necessary education/knowledge to "graduate" at a younger age, I would demonstrate that in another way. Better to take the SAT or some other standardized testing. (I realize that those are for college admission.) The GED has a stigma of "dropout" attached to it...it states that the student never "finished" their education and may make it harder to get a job or apply for further education.
i think that is an excellent point. it might not matter one way or the other at 20 and 22 -- but she might find herself at a point where the GED is suspect (unoffically even).

Right or wrong GEDs have the "feel" of opting out, of not having the gumption to get thought a program (ie high school)

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#5 of 10 Old 11-02-2010, 12:30 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
If I'm reading things right your dd is still very young and has no particularly post-secondary plans or aspirations at this point. I think the GED would be one option, but depending on her motivation and aspirations it may not be the best option when the time rolls around. My 17-year-old is currently involved in a hybrid school-homeschool program that didn't even exist when she was 12, and she has everything mapped out nicely for the specialized program she's planning to attend for post-secondary studies. My 14-year-old's trajectory may end up looking rather different because there are so many different options available to homeschooled teens.

I live in Canada where the GED doesn't seem to have quite the stigma it has in the US, so that wouldn't concern me here but yes, I agree with others, that can be a problem.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#6 of 10 Old 11-02-2010, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input!

I wasn't sure if the GED is a requirement for homeschoolers in this state,but I was hoping it would be enough for dh. I am not going to force dd to go (to public high school)if she does not want too.Montessori is my limit.

We still have a few years to look into this.Just wondering what others have done.

Not sure if there is a stigma for a GED around here.I have a BA and job hunting has been difficult for me,and I was looking for jobs that were pretty basic!

Thanks again!

I did have one other question.I noticed that for 16-18 yo wanting to do the GED they have to get papers signed by the super and parents. Is there any reason a super would not sign off? Given that a student brings state money to the school by attending you would think they would say no so the child attends high school.
#7 of 10 Old 07-14-2012, 05:51 PM

The stigma attached to GED is only true dependent on the person getting it.......I have a friend whom Ive known since birth, Her parents were very influential in the decision to get her GED and both were college grads themselves.  Anyway long story short this girl got her GED at age 16 went away to a boarding junior college then from there she attended USC and after USC MEDICAL SCHOOL!!!! The girl had graduated with her MD degree as a Pediatrician and blew away the suburb she lived in to the point they gave her her own day and a key to the city at the mere age of 24. Iam currently preparing my A student to take the GED. You can still take the SAT to cross over into a four year college via http://www.collegeboard.org/ and it prevents teens from getting lazy after high school graduation. In my case the school system where I live is simply not working.  Its distracting to a child that wants to learn.  Employers and Educational institutions alike do take into consideration those that are trailblazers...i.e. Child geniuses that are 16 year old business owners. BTW my friends parents are Medical Lab Technologists and Engineers and owned and successfully operated a Medical Lab for over 30 years in the inner city and there three daughters are Pediatrician, Dentist, Nurse. Check this page out! http://pinterest.com/gaylef/famous-people-who-got-their-ged-so-don-t-give-up-e/ You'll be surprised to know those who have one and are very respected. Just thought I'd interject not enough people let this info out and there are kids being bullied that could still make it. God Bless!

#8 of 10 Old 07-14-2012, 06:29 PM

Well, I don't have any experience with Ohio homeschool regulation, but in my state, homeschooled students can dual enroll at the local community college at 16.  They begin taking credits for their Associate's degree, and at can then transfer to a 4 year college- no GED, no SATs involved.  They do need a transcript, and they need to take the ASSET test, but that's it.  You really should see what the homeschool to college transition looks like in your state.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#9 of 10 Old 07-18-2012, 12:11 AM

I think GED is a fine option. But I would seriously look at it when the time gets closer. If she has any want to go to college at all you may want to hold off so you can duel enroll in hs/college . You get credits for both but the college classes are cheaper or sometimes even free with duel enrollment. If you play your cards right she can graduate from 'highschool' with an AA or even a BA degree and never actually have to step foot in a high school classroom.

Once you've passed your GED test though you are considered finished and this is no longer an option.  Another thought would be to look into Job Corps. Even if their isn't one in your state they have dorms and campuses so she could live in another state for it. She can take her GED as well as get certified in a profession. (this is an option even after getting her GED but they have an age limit of.... errr. 23 or 25 I think.)

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#10 of 10 Old 07-18-2012, 02:20 AM

I have a GED and a BA and a JD.  The GED didn't get in my way at all.  I don't think you have to worry about a stigma because there is no reason for her to ever reveal that she has one unless she wants to.  Otoh, I'm not sure how much reason there is to do it unless she needs it to get into college.  That's why I did it.  I had taken about a year and a half of college courses already, but I couldn't get into a degree program without the GED.  A GED, though, is not a "degree" you're gonna wave around and expect to get a job.  If it were me, I'd wait and see if I need it for anything.  It wasn't a big deal to do.  

Are you thinking you're going to homeschool, or just let her go with an 8th grade education?  I know someone who has a similar background and has done *very* well for herself.  Money-wise, she's doing way better than me and dh put together, and we're both lawyers.  It can be done.  But it sounds a little scary to me.  Big leap of faith!  But I feel that my odd approach to education really worked for me.  If my kids do the same, I may not be able to breathe for a couple (or was it ten?) years, but I do hope I could sit back and let them do what they need to do...  within reason.  blush.gif

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page