CM/Classical November! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 150 Old 11-10-2010, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey all!  MLW I am excited for you, I hope everything goes well and smooth for you. 

Jennifer- sorry to hear- I hope that things are better now. 

We had a good day yesterday as well.  DS1 is still doing great w/ his reading, I am thinking we have made a breakthrough!!!  However, w/ the time change it has been tiring.  Of course that means we have been getting stuff done earlier, so that is good.  Kids are currently at in'laws, we hadn't finished school yet but I am so exhausted- I have been getting to bed late getting up extra early(like 4am) and working my butt off on the kid's rooms- I'm dead.  I still have other things I want to get done around here but running out of energy.  Anyway, I plan to finish our schooling this afternoon, we need to do Math, Reading and History- I think. 

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 150 Old 11-10-2010, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi ladies.  Still trying to get used to the new format!  Hope you're all doing well.  I'm having one of those weeks where I just don't want to do anything and everything gets on my nerves, so we're just doing bare bones.  Thinking about next year's curricula already (I buy in February when we get our tax return).

#63 of 150 Old 11-10-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBomb View Post

Hi ladies.  Still trying to get used to the new format!  Hope you're all doing well.  I'm having one of those weeks where I just don't want to do anything and everything gets on my nerves, so we're just doing bare bones.  Thinking about next year's curricula already (I buy in February when we get our tax return).

I know. I hate change. greensad.gif

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#64 of 150 Old 11-10-2010, 04:41 PM

I find the new format strange but the only thing I know is that when we all get used to it and fall in love with it, it'll change again. At least we've found each other!!

Crunchy, what are you doing? Do you have people coming for Thanksgiving? Are you having enough chocolate beaks?

Cherry, I look forward to watching you shop in February. smile.gif

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#65 of 150 Old 11-10-2010, 05:06 PM

I'm trying to get used to the change too smile.gif.

I'm excited for the mamas with upcoming births! What a special time, so be easy on yourselves mamas.

I think we'll take a four day weekend around Thanksgiving. We're moving along in History, still in Ancient Egypt, and the papyrus isn't finished yet. I'll let everyone know whether we have success, but apparently it is(was!) a lengthy process. We are so far liking SOTW, which is nice considering when I tried it before the kids didn't care for it at all. I'm not sure why?

For Science we are studying magnetism using Noeo Science and Young Scientist Club Kits. I'm finding the complexity of the suggested reading materials does not at all mesh with the simplicity of some of the experiments we've done so far. I've had no trouble substituting experiments or reading materials however. I am still glad to have a clear plan as Science is getting done often and easily.

Ds, 9,  finished Time Cat and scored it 10 out of 10. He is now reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Dd, 10,  finished Alice's Adventure's in Wonderland and scored it a 7 out of 10. She'd previously read Nim's Island and given it a 10 of 10 smile.gif.  She is now reading Ginger Pye. We haven't been reading Charlotte's Web aloud, but I still plan to continue reading it shortly. Little dd, 2, decided she wanted a book called Little Bo: The Story of Bonnie Boadicea by Julie Andrew Edwards. It is a short, illustrated chapter book about a kitten that I found at the thrift store. We have almost finished it. I've chosen to edit a few parts I felt might upset dd, but overall it is a nice little story for a girl who loves cats. She was listening to Charlotte's Web, but did get distracted by the fact that there weren't illustrations on every page spread. I'm going to try to go back to it again after we finish Little Bo.

The weather has been wonderful this week and I'm happy to report that we have begun composting. The kids have been helping and we were already able to see some new dirt our leaves made. smile.gif I thought maybe someone mentioned vermicomposting? I'm finding it an intriguing idea! Worms have always been fascinating to me. I remember saving them from rain puddles as a child, lol. I've been giving little dd wagon rides over our leaf piles atop the garden spot. Fun and it breaks the leaves down faster!

blogging.jpg

#66 of 150 Old 11-10-2010, 06:57 PM

Dh brought home a beaker full of disgusting pond water from work today. smile.gif He is friends with one of the biology teachers; apparently they keep a gross pond purposely to use for biology classes. His teacher friend also gave him a cool microscope slide that has a divet in the middle for a drop of water, and some more of the little square glass pieces you put on top of your specimen. So, tomorrow we are going to have some fun checking out single-cell organisms and stress again why Mom gets mad when you all play in the gutter when it rains. lol.gif We also have art to do and hopefully a nature study. I need to check and see if our library is open on Friday; sometimes when there is a Federal holiday, they tend to take an extra day off too. But, if they are open, we'll probably get over there this week too (only because dh is off on Friday winky.gif). 

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#67 of 150 Old 11-11-2010, 04:30 AM

I am not sure about this new format either - I find it cluttered feeling.  But we'll see I guess.

We are going to do some things for Rememmbrance Day today.  I have a booklet with In Flander's Fields with colouring pictures, and we may watch the national ceremony in Ottawa on tv.  I have been thinking about going to the service at the cenotaph, but I'm not sure I can face it with the toddler - I know she would want to chance the ducks (it is right next to the duck pond).

Other than that, it's the usual - we're going to a church meeting later and the girl's will play with some of their friends from Sunday School.

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
#68 of 150 Old 11-11-2010, 05:19 AM

There are a couple women in my homeschool co-op who swear by Noeo.  How do you like it, MissRubyandKen?  I've been using Catholic Heritage Curricula's science programs so far, but I'm not sure about next year.  Their 4th grade science book is half on the human body (which I would probably like, since it will be strongly Catholic) and half on nutrition (which I will probably NOT like, since the little bit on nutrition in this year's book is very standard USDA food pyramid, and we're much more Traditional Foods).

I have nothing planned for Veterans' Day, other than a simple youtube video for dd1 to watch.  My desktop computer is out of commission and so is my printer, and it's starting to annoy me!  Found some cute stuff she could do, but with no printer, I'd have to drive into town and use the library's.  Blah.  I might do that, I wanted to pick up the next book in the Dark Tower series for myself, anyway.

We're on lesson 10 in Latina Christina I and it's starting to get more difficult.  She's having a harder time now with the vocabulary words and I'm not sure how to help her with that.  We drill (orally, flashcards, and on paper), and she's got the cd that I have her follow along with most days for practice.  She does well with declining and conjugating, though.  I've been trying to decide if we should do LCII next year or move on to First Form, but I think we'll go ahead with LCII.  She'll only be in 4th grade, so no rush, and I want her to have a good grasp of Latin.

Oh, and I saw on the Memoria Press message board that they're currently developing a Greek program!  I about died of happiness, lol.  Greek is years off, but Koine scares me, ha!

#69 of 150 Old 11-11-2010, 05:52 AM

We're going to be doing a full day of school today because we're heading out of town to my parents' for 2 days. Grammy's dying to see our history and science so we'll take those with us and maybe we'll make Grammy do school tomorrow!! smile.gif

Anyone have anything exciting planned for the weekend?

MLW, we are going to be all over pond water next spring. We probably should get some next week and comapre it to what we find in the spring too. Huh. Another project! smile.gif

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#70 of 150 Old 11-11-2010, 07:08 AM

CherryBomb- I've been using Level 2 Noeo materials for several months, so I haven't a full picture. We're currently doing Physics 2. I have no experience with the Level 1 materials as my children are older and I just learned of Noeo this year. That being said, I do like it so far. The only negative thing I've encountered so far is the disparity between the experiments and suggested reading materials in some units. The experiments will often be very simple concepts that a lot of the time my children at 9 and 10 have already been introduced to. At the same time reading from The Usborne Science Encyclopedia aloud, with the complexity of electricity and magnetism I have to wonder how much of what I'm reading is over their heads, though they haven't complained of not understanding it. I really should start doing question and answer sessions after reading! Also we do most of the experiments, aside from the very simplest. I feel if it is a concept they've experimented with before this will serve to reinforce it or possibly may even further their understanding. I'd say the best thing about Noeo, for me, is that we are actually doing Science 2-4 days a week, whereas before we weren't. It is nice to have the materials and plans all laid out in a simple way for me. I totally don't mind tweaking and substituting here and there. I hardly ever leave a curriculum fully alone anyway, lol. smile.gif

blogging.jpg

#71 of 150 Old 11-11-2010, 07:19 AM

I think we're taking it easy around here today! smile.gif I plan to do Singapore Math, an 'experiment' with magnetism, and have them work more on the papyrus. I may throw in some History reading. I need to catch up on laundry and housework today. My cupboards and deep freezer are is disarray. I need to do some organizing and make lists for my meal plans for next week and grocery shopping. My hips have been hurting the last two days and I really just don't feel like doing much. I really should try to spend a good amount of time with the toddler outside today and soak up this nice weather. Maybe I'll take my lists outside with a clipboard to work on while she plays.

The 'experiment' is really just a fun project from 101 Great Science Experiments by Neil Ardley. Basically you make a felt kite and a felt snake with a paper clip on them, then with use a stick with attached magnet to 'charm' the snake and 'fly' the kite.

blogging.jpg

#72 of 150 Old 11-11-2010, 08:41 AM

ACK! Now I MUST wear my glasses even while on MDC. I used to be able to see the fonts enough, now everything seems smaller and lighter lol!

We also have noeo science.  Mine are 4 and 6, DS6 is reading very well.  I like it.  Not sure it's the only science we will ever use but I like the lessons plans and I too, have to throw a wrench in whatever curriculum we are using anyways. 

I think I may order math u see.  The only actual curriculum we have is the math mammoth, and I feel like I need something helping me to teach math.  Right now I am copying, pasting, reprinting so it doesn't look so "worksheet" and boring, and trying to come up with ways to be creative.  I think we just need a different approach.  AFter all, the reason you learn math skills is so you can apply them and use them, not just write answer after answer on paper in the something plus something equals format.

#73 of 150 Old 11-11-2010, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Ugh, I dont' feel good today, don't know if it seasonal or due to little sleep and to much activity but we have done it pretty easy today, did reading this am- at like 6:15am.  Currently I am letting them watch a movie, as a rare afternoon treat.  We will do some more schooling tonight.  Public school kids get sick days, right, so don't we?  We have went full force and pretty much not missed much of anything I have had scheduled.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#74 of 150 Old 11-11-2010, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

I have read some good reviews of Noeo as well, although I don't have it.  I think for next term we will just add unit studies of science ala WTM in addition to our Nature Study, which I have already planned out for winter.

#75 of 150 Old 11-11-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425lisamarie View Post

ACK! Now I MUST wear my glasses even while on MDC. I used to be able to see the fonts enough, now everything seems smaller and lighter lol!

We also have noeo science.  Mine are 4 and 6, DS6 is reading very well.  I like it.  Not sure it's the only science we will ever use but I like the lessons plans and I too, have to throw a wrench in whatever curriculum we are using anyways. 

I think I may order math u see.  The only actual curriculum we have is the math mammoth, and I feel like I need something helping me to teach math.  Right now I am copying, pasting, reprinting so it doesn't look so "worksheet" and boring, and trying to come up with ways to be creative.  I think we just need a different approach.  AFter all, the reason you learn math skills is so you can apply them and use them, not just write answer after answer on paper in the something plus something equals format.

You could try zooming in with your browser to make the text bigger. I use firefox. To zoom in I click View at the top left corner, then put the cursor over Zoom, a box pops up with options and then click Zoom in. This makes everything bigger, including the text. smile.gif

blogging.jpg

#76 of 150 Old 11-12-2010, 06:42 AM

me too -- this is gonna take a long time for me -- oyyyyy

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#77 of 150 Old 11-12-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRubyandKen View Post

You could try zooming in with your browser to make the text bigger. I use firefox. To zoom in I click View at the top left corner, then put the cursor over Zoom, a box pops up with options and then click Zoom in. This makes everything bigger, including the text. smile.gif

Ooooo well check that out lol.gif.  I kind of like it a little bigger for everything now thanks! I use a mac/firefox also

#78 of 150 Old 11-12-2010, 01:37 PM

Yeah, I agree, the new format is not as intuitive to me!

This week in homeschool was pretty good. DD had her reading testing at her charter school, and apparently she is right in the middle of 2nd grade expectations (which I think are a bit high, but I guess I am "old school" in taking it real slow and sweet with reading) so yay! That is a huge relief. Seems like she has really come over the "hump" that was holding her back---all of a sudden, she is reading all over the place and less stilted with stops for sounding out words. Apparently the letter reversals and mix-ups have worked themselves out for now? The coolest part of the whole experience was observing her through the testing process as she charmed the teacher with poetry recitations and pithy recollections and maxims from the stories they read wink1.gif It was great to know that we are right on track.

BUT I was informed that the end-of-year evaluation includes a paragraph summary written by the child. Does that seem a bit much to you all? It does to me. This is going to be a big challenge because her vocabulary and comprehension are so far ahead of her spelling/writing that I think she will frustrate herself trying to write exactly what she's thinking. So we are going to be a lot more mindful of concise narration, and I'm going to have her start copying some of her narrations as a starting point to build up to an entirely independent paragraph. Also spurs me on to pick up the pace a bit in spelling. Any tips on slowly and painlessly working up to a paragraph summary?

We're beating through the Treadwell First Reader until we've gotten absolutely everything we can out of it, then we'll have a break with the level 2 AAS reader and then the Treadwell Second. I love love love the Reading-Literature series. love.gif Dd's requesting more memory work in poetry besides what we've been doing in FLL. I'm happy to accomodate orngbiggrin.gif

I am happy to say that we are getting a bit ahead from my projected schedule, and we're managing to fit in at least History and Geography in consistently. Science right now is just me reading aloud from the RS4K texts. Even though I am not too thrilled with the depth or level of engagement, at least she is getting some exposure to the vocabulary and concepts.

Spelling and Latin are finally getting a bit challenging, but she's keeping up.

Thankfully, our harvest work is pretty much over, so I will hopefully have more time/energy to focus on fun hs stuff. Going to make pickled hot peppers and maybe Moroccan-style preserved lemons today, yum!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Happy and in love with my family!
#79 of 150 Old 11-13-2010, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRubyandKen View Post

I hardly ever leave a curriculum fully alone anyway, lol. smile.gif

LOL, I know what you mean!  I've really enjoyed CHC's science curriculum so far, so I think I might just stick with it for next year and substitute a TF curriculum for the nutrition half (I came across one that someone had developed for kids at some point, need to find the link!)

Happy to report dd1 did well on her Latin quiz.  I just really had to ramp up on practicing, and I had her listen to the cd lesson every day (usually I just have her do it once, but hearing it repeatedly seemed to help).

She's also struggled with spelling, so what I've been doing is a quick oral phonics lesson on each list (we use CHC for spelling, so the lists have similarities, such as various ways to get a long u, boot, truth, etc), along with having her spell her words out loud for me.  Even though I have her write them out, I think she tends to do it without thinking, so having her spell orally and use tiled letters seems to really help.

One thing I really need to work on is memory verses.  We have so many opportunities for that with the various curricula we use, and I always intend to do it, but by Wednesday I've forgotten all about it and we just end up skipping.

#80 of 150 Old 11-13-2010, 04:38 PM

We have been having a slow school week - we got a bit of nice weather so we have been busy cleaning up the yard, and then today we had to take the dog to the vet - the poor thing has a hematoma in her ear flap yet again.  She is getting to be a really ugly dog in her old age.

Reading seems to be coming on really well, she is becoming really fluent all of a sudden, so I am happy with that.  She's coming along on writing, though we are only doing a half-sheet at a time of the Cursive First sheets.  The book suggests 20 min a day, but there is no way that would work for us - I know she would be tired before then.  Music is coming along really well too.  We are almost on the real music staff now, and by Christmas she will be able to play a few simple Christmas songs o the staff.  They have also started on the left hand.  She has clicked in about the relations of the lenghth of the notes to each other too - the program has them creating "music stories" with popsicle sticks and pipe cleaners to represent the notes they know, and they have to do it properly with four beats to a bar.  This seems to have really solidified it in her mind.  So I figure this counts as math too!

OTOH, she told me today that Fresh sounds like it doesn't mean anything.  Oh well.

I am also busy this week coming up getting ready for dd2's third birthday party.  We're having eight little kids for a dog themed party, so I need to make a dog cake, and I am going to make a pin the tail on the dog game, and we'll eat hot-dogs.  I need to think of a few other games too.

I'm also going to make a Jesse Tree for the girls for Advent, so that is my project for tonight.  And we are going to try to learn "In the Deep Midwinter" which I hope will not be too difficult.

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
#81 of 150 Old 11-14-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegoat View Post

We have been having a slow school week - we got a bit of nice weather so we have been busy cleaning up the yard, and then today we had to take the dog to the vet - the poor thing has a hematoma in her ear flap yet again.  She is getting to be a really ugly dog in her old age.

Reading seems to be coming on really well, she is becoming really fluent all of a sudden, so I am happy with that.  She's coming along on writing, though we are only doing a half-sheet at a time of the Cursive First sheets.  The book suggests 20 min a day, but there is no way that would work for us - I know she would be tired before then.  Music is coming along really well too.  We are almost on the real music staff now, and by Christmas she will be able to play a few simple Christmas songs o the staff.  They have also started on the left hand.  She has clicked in about the relations of the lenghth of the notes to each other too - the program has them creating "music stories" with popsicle sticks and pipe cleaners to represent the notes they know, and they have to do it properly with four beats to a bar.  This seems to have really solidified it in her mind.  So I figure this counts as math too!

OTOH, she told me today that Fresh sounds like it doesn't mean anything.  Oh well.

I am also busy this week coming up getting ready for dd2's third birthday party.  We're having eight little kids for a dog themed party, so I need to make a dog cake, and I am going to make a pin the tail on the dog game, and we'll eat hot-dogs.  I need to think of a few other games too.

I'm also going to make a Jesse Tree for the girls for Advent, so that is my project for tonight.  And we are going to try to learn "In the Deep Midwinter" which I hope will not be too difficult.

Bluegoat, what music program are you using? That sounds awesome!

We were busy with yardwork this weekend, too.

Dd played a lot on the raz-kids reading site. I'm not so sure how much I like the online reading work; it seems like she tends to skip words or just "guess" more than when we're sitting down together and reading.

I am perusing through different CM/Classical-style language arts programs and wondering why/how people use more than one, which one is the most suitable for us, and if we should do anything more than FLL. FLL really doesn't have much writing, and I understand the reasoning behind doing copywork before independent writing, but I am thinking about English for the Thoughtful Child because it has the child writing their own compositions, but then I got hung up on Lingua Mater Primary Language Lessons and WWE. My original plan was to do copywork/narration this year and then switch to the Classical Writing Primer or Aesop, but then MCT got thrown into the mix . . . maybe I should post on the WTM forum for my feedback about the different programs. confused.gif

Tomorrow we're starting North America for Geography. We've been working with the felt continents and continent puzzles, and dd can pretty much place them where they go from a blank space and name them. It's time to move on! Though we will come back and review and add in the oceans. I really need to write out all the Geography activities I want to do in what order so we'll be more likely to follow through with them.

Happy and in love with my family!
#82 of 150 Old 11-15-2010, 05:48 AM

Monday, monday, monday! Good morning everyone :). The maple in my back yard is practically raining leaves this morning. It hung onto them longer than most in the area. The trees in the front have but a few leaves left! I think I'll help the kids rake more leaves today, only this time for some jumping fun.

I'm just starting the new edition of The Well Trained Mind. It's been years since I picked up the old edition, so definitely time for a reread. I also borrowed up The Core by Leigh A. Bortins (founder and CEO of Classical Conversations, Inc.), but I haven't opened it yet. Eldest dd is likely going to be entering the logic stage next year and I know I did little more than browse through that section last time. I consider her in 5th because she started in K early, but at 10 I think she's mostly right on track for the end of the grammar stage as described in the book.

I enjoyed reading the preschool section (don't remember that from last edition). Youngest dd is 2 and she will be 3 in Feb. I love the toddler stage of learning! Its so intuitive and fun, so exciting to see every day things mean so much to her. She's been taking a keen interest in letters. She's knows the names of most and I've been playing games with her about the sounds. She likes to help find words that begin with each letter. We've several alphabet puzzles that she loves, so I incorporate sound games into puzzle time. We finished Little Bo and I tried reading Charlotte's Web again, but she just isn't into it. I think I'll reshelve it and try again in a few months. She picked an illustrated copy of The Miracle on 34th Street off the shelf and has wanted it at bedtime the past few nights. I've honestly never read it myself, so I'm not sure how appropriate it is for a two year old. I was surprised when she picked it, and even more surprised when she wanted to return to it the next night. In the second chapter the parade Santa is drunken! I didn't edit around it though, because I think it would mean very little to her anyway, yk?

I can't believe how quickly this year has passed! Almost the holly, jolly season already. Dp and I have been debating on what to do for a x-mas tree this year. We have an old scraggly artificial tree that was given to us used. I don't like it. Each individual branch comes off the tree. It is also very light and easy to tip. We have cats who like to sneak and try to climb it when no one is looking. I'm really not interested in fixing that tree everyday all holiday season. I'm thinking about buying one of the pre-lit led artificial trees. It would last for many, many years. It seems like a good option. What does everyone else who does the Christmas tree thing do?

blogging.jpg

#83 of 150 Old 11-15-2010, 08:41 AM

we have a nice LED prelit tree and love it.  We also have a small evergreen that is growing in a pot so we can take it in each year and decorate a mini tree.  I just slowly acclimate it indoors, then out again. 

This week our plan is a thanksgiving project with history of Pilgrims, etc.  We are working only with real life math and practicing our skills with money and further clock work since they are both interested.  I have two nice sets of Melissa and Dough money and coins in a wooden box and we play a game that ends in real coins to keep.  Of course everyone wins something and it is only positive.

Also we are doing a big craft project together.  I bought a heavy dowel, and a nice piece of green felted wool and we are going to make a christmas tree shaped advent calendar.  I need to surge or sew a nice colored stitch around the edges, and they are going to help hand sew the pockets I think.  They are always trying to find things to sew.  I plan to hang it somewhere in the school zone or front entry.  I bought a bunch of odds and ends Christmas fabric at the quilting store. I'm guessing this project will get out of hand and go from simple to extravagant now that we started LOL. I want pockets for each day big and strong enough to hold little goodies should someone want to sneak them in.  I will probably end up stitching the felted wool tree on to a big sheet of canvas type fabric or soemething to further enforce. I reeaaaally want a better sewing machine for Christmas. 

I'm holding off on jumping into any new math topics unless they come up.  DS always works in this word problem book that is interesting to him.  I ordered the math U see.  We just need something different. 

I MUST do the last of my pre winter yard work before it starts freezing ugh!

#84 of 150 Old 11-15-2010, 10:14 AM

We have a dentist appointment scheduled today (well, three really - all three boys are getting check-ups, but I think ds#2 has a cavity :( ). Otherwise, it's our last scheduled week of school for the year. Latin review, math, spelling, homophones, grammar, and history should about do it - I've decided to use only our history and science this week for our "writing" instead of pulling out WWE. The literature guide for Mr. Popper's Penguins came over the weekend from Memoria Press; I think I like the layout. The comprehension questions will work well for narration, and I like the vocabulary for each chapter to practice dictionary skills. Assuming things go well (we'll start in January), we might do Mr. Popper's Penguins, Little House in the Big Woods, and Charlotte's Web for the rest of the year, and then go back to WWE 4 & 2 next school year. 

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#85 of 150 Old 11-15-2010, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

CMH- I still want to see that felt wall, I really like that idea.  I am really not sure our own plans for language/grammar programs.  We are so not there yet.  We are just doing HWoT, finishing up the K book this week for writing and still working on learning to read.  We have been slacking on narration lately though. I do have WWE to start sometime this year, but just waiting on him to get ready.

Bluegoat- I want to know more about the music program as well. 

MRK- On Christmas Trees I have an artificial one that was gifted to me, so it works for now, and hey I saved it from the landfill, so I guess that is recycling, huh?  I will be looking for your review of "The Core"

I am actually anxious to start Holiday preparations here, our schedule for our next block will have lots of Holiday activities. 

MLW- Those lit guides sound really, really interesting.  Good luck to you for this last week and hopefully the last of your pregnancy goes smoothly.

lisamarie- I am currently working on some sewing as well, but I am a big amateur.

Going along here, we have finally finished the kids rooms, only a week later.  However, I am now in a big cleaning tizzy.  Anxious to start a break next week so I can work on our next schedule.  Now that we have the first term under our belt we will be making a few tweaks here and there.  I don't know if I want to make it as specific for next term.  I think having it wrote out helps keep me on track but sometimes it is restrictive- ack- I don't know- guess I have about a week to figure it out.

For others here how do you do scheduling?  Especially things like lit?  For those that do Science the way Well-Trained Mind suggests how much planning do you do- how much do you let it be just interest driven? 

#86 of 150 Old 11-16-2010, 09:13 AM

Feeling really overwhelmed.

I am having trouble fitting it all in.  On top of being pregnant, working 30+ hours out of the home and guiding the learning of 4 different age groups.  Feeling a bit :dizzy

One major problem is that the kids are not self motivated.  They weren't when we unschooled and they still aren't.  :shrug

The whole "love of learning" seems to go right past them.  I fell like I am pulling teeth. 

Can't get them out of bed at a decent time so that I am not in a panic attack trying to get finished before 3pm so I can go to work.  I am late for work almost daily (not good).  They ended up with homework because they did not finish what they were to do last week.  Not one of the 3 finished.  2 didn't even work on it. :crying

My poor little group are getting nothing to do, because I am overwhelmed with the older ones. :(

Someone.....anyone....feeling like this?  I feel like a failure. :bag

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#87 of 150 Old 11-16-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post

Feeling really overwhelmed.

I am having trouble fitting it all in.  On top of being pregnant, working 30+ hours out of the home and guiding the learning of 4 different age groups.  Feeling a bit :dizzy

One major problem is that the kids are not self motivated.  They weren't when we unschooled and they still aren't.  :shrug

The whole "love of learning" seems to go right past them.  I fell like I am pulling teeth. 

Can't get them out of bed at a decent time so that I am not in a panic attack trying to get finished before 3pm so I can go to work.  I am late for work almost daily (not good).  They ended up with homework because they did not finish what they were to do last week.  Not one of the 3 finished.  2 didn't even work on it. :crying

My poor little group are getting nothing to do, because I am overwhelmed with the older ones. :(

Someone.....anyone....feeling like this?  I feel like a failure. :bag

HUGS honey

I take it it the 10, 7 and 5 yo tghat are the stress?  or the 18, 10 and 7? 

IMO -- and my opinion only -- i am gonna get flamed.  the 10 and older are well old enough to start looseing privialges for not getting school done, or for showing a bad 'tude to you or about / while doing it,  Somehting they earn only for work being up to date or ahead?  or privilages start going bye-bye if they fall behind.  the 7 year i expect still needs help -- but can be cooperative.

I don't know your kids, but if it was me -- i'd sat some "general house rules" that work for the schooling process

you must be up and dressed by 8

kitcen is closed and cleaned at 8:30 -- if you have not eaten, too bad

school is 9 -- untill you can prove you can work independantly you work at teh dinning room table as a group with me

no evening priviallages (tv, phone, play with freinds) untill school is done.  you get done at noon or 6 pm -- you choise

and so on

but i am more "hard core" than a lot of moms here.

Sorry you are being stressed, that is not necessary and you need to find what works for your family,.

HUGS

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#88 of 150 Old 11-16-2010, 02:47 PM

Hugs mama! You have alot going on right now. I'd think just having 6 kids alone, without homeschooling, working outside the home, and being pregnant added in, could be quite overwhelming. Try to be easy on yourself and accept whatever help with schooling or chores that you can. The oldest 3 are definitely capable of contributing regularly to household management, especially the older 2.

If my kids have a day where they aren't being respectful of me, not listening, being disruptive, making me repeat myself, basically eating up my time, I have them make up that time by doing a chore or two I would have done that day myself. I have very precious little free time, especially in comparison to everyone else in the house. My time is important to me. I don't want to spend my time repeating myself and telling or asking the same things again and again. At 10 and 9 they are well old enough to understand this. Also it benefits them when I have more time because I play with them, spend time with them, and help them with whatever pet projects they want help with. But I do have a household to run and some sort of personal life, aside from having three kids and homeschooling. There is only so much time in each day and things can only be pushed back so much, yk? I do expect to need to discipline them some, as they are my children, but if they fall into habits of not respecting me, not cooperating, basically not doing what needs done or stalling it by misbehaving I have no problem addressing it by having them make up my time.

blogging.jpg

#89 of 150 Old 11-17-2010, 06:48 AM

I tend to agree that the older kids should have consequences for not getting their work done.Honestly, I have never seen that it is reasonable that older kids get to do their own thing all day while I work to keep the household running, and their dad works to pay for it all.  Heck, even the dogs have jobs, other than the really old one.  So if their work isn't school, than they wouldn't be doing their own thing all the time - they would be helping around the house.  (I remember when we were living rurally.  We had hay-fields that were used by some local Mennonites.  I was woken at midnight one day during a dry day after weeks of rain to hear the tractor haying the field.  The 14 year old son was the one doing the haying.  I think that is totally reasonable.)

The difficulty of course can be enforcing what you say, especially pregnant. 

I also wonder - what time are they in bed?  Is a late bed time related to the trouble getting up?

Anyway, hug.gif to you Angelbee!

#90 of 150 Old 11-17-2010, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post

Bluegoat- I want to know more about the music program as well. 

Our program is Music For Young Children.  It is an outside class with work at home throughout the week.  There are a fair number of teachers around, and you can locate them on the website.  It's one of our bigger expenses, but compared to private lessons it is fairly competitive.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page