CM/Classical November! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 150 Old 11-22-2010, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

That's awesome, crunchy, thanks!

Jennifer, I think that's normal for this time of year, too. We were blah all week last week and didn't really do much either.

This week I'm trying to do bigger review and get a solid foundation on some stuff we're going to be doing after Thanksgiving. So we went over all of the old AAS cards, and dd is retaining it all pretty well. We don't do 15 min. a day like the program suggests. We do more like 30 2x/wk or so. I definitely think it would help a lot to do it every day, but it's hard to squeeze in.

I'd have to say that we're rockin the North America studies already! I'd really rather be working with the Montessori-style continent boxes/folders and learning primarily from a cultural standpoint, but hey, I'm really happy we're doing it at all. Today we traced the USA, Canada, and Mexico puzzle shapes and drew their flags by them. We read flag books and sifted through the NA part of our children's atlas and talked a little about the animals and interesting plants. Also touched a little about the tragedies that happened to the native people when Europeans arrived :( I guess 9/10 of the Aztecs perished. Geez. We also reviewed the names of the Central American and the NA island countries using the puzzle map. I am totally learning right alongside dd! But we've already got Cuba, the DR, Haiti, and Panama down :D I definitely recommend looking into the Montessori activities to supplement Geography for elementary aged children. We don't solely follow the M format, but it's a really great starting point.

Also, I have to say that I am continually blown away by Miquon Math and how well Singapore and Miquon work together. Today she was doing 2 x 16 = 17 + _ with the program's intention being that the child understands 16 doubled equals 32, if 17 is one more than half, then the answer must be one less than half; dd was totally getting the doubling work (pure Miquon), and using the Singapore bar modeling and part/whole works so well to demonstrate the if we know the whole and know the halves, then knowing that one less than the half means the other part must be one more than half . . . . WHEW!! just amazing math for kids, and it blows me away that the two programs demonstrate these concepts so effortlessly. Sorry. I just had to wax on about my math love :love

Well baby boy is awake, so back to work ;)

Hope all you mamas are well, and congratulations again on the two new blessings, AngelBee and MLW!

Happy and in love with my family!
#122 of 150 Old 11-22-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craft_media_hero 

Yesterday we had a nice long Geography session. We have moved on from the continents (though I feel guilty that we skipped the oceans, so I think we will go back and review) to North America. We traced our puzzle maps, and dd colored each country and we labeled together. I'd like to make a felt set for each map we learn, but I can't locally find larger felt for the big shapes. Pictures soon, I promise! My camera just needs new batteries. We're going to keep working on learning the countries, cultures, animals, etc. of North America for the next month or so.

You know, I am kind of glad that these two subjects were put off until the weekend because we ended up with a long stretch of time to really sink into the material instead of a quick half hour at the end of the day, how we've been doing . . . so I will muddle over a schedule change here.

Sounds like fun!  I can't wait to see the pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post

I'll be back later to address the IEW and key word outlining stuff later ... but I wanted to let you all know that the baby is here. heartbeat.gif She (yep, it's a girl! oh are we in for an adventure) was born Sunday morning. She's 8 pounds, 8 ounces and is 19 inches long (3 inches shorter than any of her brothers were). We are doing great. I hope everyone has an amazing week; I'll be around though as my midwife has told me to stay in bed through tomorrow and then as much as possible for the whole week. 

banana.gif Woohoo!  jumpers.gif

Congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craft_media_hero View Post

Also, I have to say that I am continually blown away by Miquon Math and how well Singapore and Miquon work together. Today she was doing 2 x 16 = 17 + _ with the program's intention being that the child understands 16 doubled equals 32, if 17 is one more than half, then the answer must be one less than half; dd was totally getting the doubling work (pure Miquon), and using the Singapore bar modeling and part/whole works so well to demonstrate the if we know the whole and know the halves, then knowing that one less than the half means the other part must be one more than half . . . . WHEW!! just amazing math for kids, and it blows me away that the two programs demonstrate these concepts so effortlessly. Sorry. I just had to wax on about my math love :love

Impressive!  I haven't had a chance to check out Miquon, but I'm tempted! 

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#123 of 150 Old 11-22-2010, 06:51 PM

MLW,

CONGRATS!!!! I cannot wait to hear all about her. :)

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#124 of 150 Old 11-24-2010, 06:29 AM

I hope everyone is having a wonderful week!  We've been accomplishing oodles of handwork and baking.  I wish I could find the camera cord so I could upload the pictures of the weaving we've been doing with you.  (The card reader on my laptop doesn't work anymore and I can't find my camera after Nik used it to take some videos, so I'm borrowing Nate's camera and don't know where he put the cord!  LOL  We're having a lot of camera luck here this week!)  I promise to share pics as soon as I can find one of our missing components. 

Until then, check out the blog post where I found the directions for weaving using drinking straws.  It's easy enough for my 5 year old to do, and to do an excellent job with!  I already have two very long sections weaved.  I plan to weave a rainbow of strips and then sew them together for the boys to sit on when we're doing schoolwork on the floor.  We have hardwood with just a couple of carpets, so a soft rug to sit on will be nice.  I really wish I had that cord so I could share the picture with you, it looks really awesome! 

I'm also trying to finish up the rug I started locker hooking two years ago.  I think it would make an excellent Christmas gift for Marc's 92-year-old grandmother.  She's the kind of person who would truly appreciate it, you know?  Considering the hours of work that have gone into it, I would really like it to go to someone who will love it. 

The boys have been playing with the video camera, making documentaries and Man vs. Wild type shows.  They've also been playing a lot of music with Daddy.  Nik wrote a letter to Santa earlier this week.  On it he indicated that he wants a childrens classical guitar "and anything else" because he doesn't care what he gets as long as he gets the guitar!  I guess Santa needs to do some shopping!  Do you think we would regret it if we bought Nate a drum set?  Or maybe we should just buy them both guitars; that would probably be a better idea.  I haven't been having Nik read to me this week, but I've seen him with plenty of comic books in hand.  He's going to have those Calvin and Hobbes books memorized soon!  We did some math with the baking we've done.  I think he's understanding fractions now.  I had planned to start lessons on money, but I think December seems like the perfect month to cover fractions with all of the baking we do.  Of course, with all of the shopping it is also a good month to cover money, right?!  wink1.gif

I guess I need to go get my day started.  It's already 9:30 and I haven't even unloaded the dishwasher yet.  Yikes!  I hope everyone who celebrates has a wonderful Thanksgiving, and that everyone else has a wonderful Thursday!

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#125 of 150 Old 11-24-2010, 10:13 AM

Baby Kate

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#126 of 150 Old 11-24-2010, 10:49 AM

what a lucky little girl -- so many big brothers

Quote:

I'll be back later to address the IEW and key word outlining stuff later ... but I wanted to let you all know that the baby is here. heartbeat.gif She (yep, it's a girl! oh are we in for an adventure) was born Sunday morning. She's 8 pounds, 8 ounces and is 19 inches long (3 inches shorter than any of her brothers were). We are doing great. I hope everyone has an amazing week; I'll be around though as my midwife has told me to stay in bed through tomorrow and then as much as possible for the whole week. 

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#127 of 150 Old 11-24-2010, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

AWWWWW!  Adorable MLW!!!  Makes me want another one, right now!

Jessica- nice to hear an update.  I love working on handcrafts as well, we have been slacking this week on those things here.  I am very interested in weaving rugs, so I am checking that out.  Our next big project is going to be making quilts and knitting. 

Lots of baking today here, yum, yum!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#128 of 150 Old 11-24-2010, 07:09 PM

Oh my such a beautiful girl!

happy thanksgiving to all.

crunchy I love quilting!  I am making a quilted advent calendar right now, each square being a pocket and  a day 1-24.  the pockets are 4 inches and sturdy so I plan to stuff them with something each day.  Most the time I think they are advertised to hold a candy or small gift, but I told everyone it's for leaving messages for family members.  with both kids writting and reading, I told them they can sneak a note in to someone to the day.  I'll have to take a picture of it when it's done, or at least when I have the top finished.  I was planning to mimic the one made of felt at pottery barn, but I love quilted things so naturally I was drawn to a tutorial I found online at sewmamasew.com  We have some really fun fabrics on this one.  both kids hand stitched some of the squares together and DS 6.5 loves to use the sewing machine.

#129 of 150 Old 11-24-2010, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 425lisamarie View Post

Oh my such a beautiful girl!

happy thanksgiving to all.

crunchy I love quilting!  I am making a quilted advent calendar right now, each square being a pocket and  a day 1-24.  the pockets are 4 inches and sturdy so I plan to stuff them with something each day.  Most the time I think they are advertised to hold a candy or small gift, but I told everyone it's for leaving messages for family members.  with both kids writting and reading, I told them they can sneak a note in to someone to the day.  I'll have to take a picture of it when it's done, or at least when I have the top finished.  I was planning to mimic the one made of felt at pottery barn, but I love quilted things so naturally I was drawn to a tutorial I found online at sewmamasew.com  We have some really fun fabrics on this one.  both kids hand stitched some of the squares together and DS 6.5 loves to use the sewing machine.

I love the idea for your advent calendar. Makes me wish I had time and patience to make one! I checked out the directions and it looks like it would be so cute!

#130 of 150 Old 11-24-2010, 08:47 PM

And thank you everyone - we are all in love with her! hearts.gif

#131 of 150 Old 11-25-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post

Oh! Oh!  The baby was born!  And on my dd's bday! :)  She turned 4.

CONGRATS!  (((hug)))

New format making me dizzy!  And no smilies making me :(

broc1.gif Yay, Angelbee!! Happy double baby b-day!

Wow, two classical hs mama births on our little thread, awesome!

No birth, just  a birthday! :)  Mylee turned 4.  Today is my birthday as well as my son who is now 11!  :::fainting:::

Happy Thanksgiving mamas!  Have a wonderful and blessed day. :)

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#132 of 150 Old 11-25-2010, 07:01 AM

Quote:

And thank you everyone - we are all in love with her! hearts.gif

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#133 of 150 Old 11-26-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Oh! Oh!  The baby was born!  And on my dd's bday! :)  She turned 4.

CONGRATS!  (((hug)))

New format making me dizzy!  And no smilies making me :(

broc1.gif Yay, Angelbee!! Happy double baby b-day!

Wow, two classical hs mama births on our little thread, awesome!

No birth, just  a birthday! :)  Mylee turned 4.  Today is my birthday as well as my son who is now 11!  :::fainting:::

Happy Thanksgiving mamas!  Have a wonderful and blessed day. :)

Oops, sorry Angelbee, I totally misread somehow!

#134 of 150 Old 11-27-2010, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I just discovered the most amazing thing EVER! Our new library system lets you place holds FOR THE FUTURE!!!!!

I'm going and sticking all the books I've scheduled for this year into their system, and I'll never have to think of it beyond that! And it will (hopefully) help keep me on schedule! And future years I can just go and do it from the start, instead of sticking the "reserve this book now" in my calendar for each one.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#135 of 150 Old 11-28-2010, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Congratulations, MLW  She's beautiful.  I'm the opposite, 3 girls and then a boy, definitely a change!  Happy Birthday(s) AB!

Has anyone used Hey Andrew!  Teach Me Some Greek!  They don't give any age guidelines on the website, so I'm not sure when it's appropriate to start the program.  Dd1 is in 3rd grade right now, but I'd like to start Greek around 5/6 grade.

#136 of 150 Old 11-28-2010, 07:16 AM

MLW, she's a beautiful, healthy looking little angel! :) What a blessing!

blogging.jpg

#137 of 150 Old 11-28-2010, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocelotmom View Post

I just discovered the most amazing thing EVER! Our new library system lets you place holds FOR THE FUTURE!!!!!

I'm going and sticking all the books I've scheduled for this year into their system, and I'll never have to think of it beyond that! And it will (hopefully) help keep me on schedule! And future years I can just go and do it from the start, instead of sticking the "reserve this book now" in my calendar for each one.

Oh, I love that, I soooo wish our library did that as I was just thinking how great it would be to pre-plan all our books for this session.

Not familiar w/ the Greek program- have you done a search at WTM?

We start our new session next week, I am very excited.  We got in our new Kingfisher Animal Ency and the kids were fighting over it!

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#138 of 150 Old 11-28-2010, 01:54 PM

I'm starting to plan for spring. Molly is 3 weeks old now and so I have a little more time to get things together to start back with "school". We're just reading together until then-the kids needed a holiday. smile.gif

If anyone was wanting the Living Memory book, there is a code online for lulu- cyber305 for 15 or 25% off. I forget which, but I just bought it. smile.gif

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#139 of 150 Old 11-28-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post

I'm starting to plan for spring. Molly is 3 weeks old now and so I have a little more time to get things together to start back with "school". We're just reading together until then-the kids needed a holiday. smile.gif

If anyone was wanting the Living Memory book, there is a code online for lulu- cyber305 for 15 or 25% off. I forget which, but I just bought it. smile.gif

I didn't realize you had your baby! I LOVE her name. hearts.gif Dh is going to get the boys going with some schoolwork starting tomorrow (or Tuesday - ds#2 has to go to the dentist right in the middle of the day). I think the goal is just some reading and math until January so they don't "forget" anything. winky.gif Personally, I'm torn between loving the time off and itching to get back to some routine. It does help that we have been busy (ds#2 just had his 7th birthday yesterday) and will continue to be busy for the holidays (not "outside commitment" busy but more just getting the house decorated, watching dh put up the lights outside and hopefully baking cookies busy). 

After reading a thread over on WTM, I ordered Story Grammar for Elementary School and Sentence Composing for Elementary School. We are going to start with the Sentence Composing book, I think. My goal is just a couple exercises a week to spread it out; I'm thinking of doing it instead of the "writing station" exercises that are in All About Spelling (which I try to do 2x a week). Ds#1, in particular, needs a little help with sentences. He can write them, but they are pretty basic.

#140 of 150 Old 11-28-2010, 02:39 PM

(It won't let me type under the quote ... hmm ...) This year we are working through their theme book All Things Fun & Fascinating. This spring, through, I'm going to buy their DVD set Teaching Writing: Structure & Style and then have the boys work through either the Medieval History theme book or the student material from their Student Writing Intensive (though without buying the DVDs aimed at the students - I'd rather learn the method and then tweak it as I teach it so it works for us). From what I can tell, it all teaches Key Word Outlining (I think it's the first couple units) and then it moves on to other instruction. I wasn't sure how I'd like the program, so I felt buying the ATF&F book for $29 was a fairly inexpensive way to get a feel for it and see how the boys respond to it before investing anything more. For my oldest, it's been helping him pull out what is really necessary instead of pulling out everything (we're working on the same basic skill with WWE - when he does his narrations he tries to include ALL the details; between the KWO stuff and WWE narrations, I think he's starting to see the difference between main ideas and endless details - the outlining workbook is helping with that too). 

Quote:

MLW, sorry to keep picking your brain on this---I looked at the IEW site, and there are a lot of books to narrow down; which one would you say is the most crucial for the Key Word Outlining method? Or maybe the information is free on the site and I can't find it somewhere . . . 

#141 of 150 Old 11-28-2010, 02:59 PM

MLW, is Story Grammar an ebook? Is it pdf and printable? It looks very interesting! :) Also is the Story Grammar a stand alone or do the two books you mentioned work together? Thanks! :)

blogging.jpg

#142 of 150 Old 11-28-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRubyandKen View Post

MLW, is Story Grammar an ebook? Is it pdf and printable? It looks very interesting! :) Also is the Story Grammar a stand alone or do the two books you mentioned work together? Thanks! :)

I don't think they offer the books as eBooks. I think I will end up doing what I normally do - cut the binding and then 3-ring binder them. The boys can then write their answers on separate paper. I'm not sure about how the books work - from what I have gathered, it sounds like Sentence Composing is a bit easier and people are using it first (3rd grade or so) and then moving onto the Story Grammar book. I should have them in my hands on Tuesday, based on the Amazon shipping info, so I can give more information then. 

#143 of 150 Old 11-28-2010, 07:27 PM

CherryBomb- We've used Hey Andrew, and it's pretty good. It's very Biblically based and incremental. I think with an older kid you could easily skip the first and maybe second/third levels. The Reader is a good intro to the alphabet sounds. It moves very slowly and teaches a lot of the Greek through English (which I don't like), ie they spell the letter names in English words and have the kids match the English word to the Greek letter---that doesn't make sense to me. Ditto with teaching kids to associate the letter sounds with English words, so alpha says "a" as in "father", why not "agape" so the student is actually learning Greek words? But that's just my little quirk with it, and I do have a little bit of background with Greek so am maybe more comfortable with jumping right in.

I think it could be really good using the later levels with an older child and using Greek/English picture books and "My First Book" by Poloizos (sp?) along with Song School Greek/Greek Code Cracker for a foundation. Honestly, I find the HA materials a little dry and boring (I mean, I know it's Ancient Greek, but still!), so we are using the GCC, then My 1st Book, then SSG (which all are very lively and engaging) and then maybe Greek for Children (not sure yet), but I still pull out pages from HA for a little review or shoring up the other Greek materials we're using.

MLW- thanks for the clarification! My dd has the same prob with wanting to basically re-tell all of the details. We are working on narrowing it down to the important bits, and that's where I think that we need a little help.

ocelotmom- Incredible! I wish our library had the same thing! That would help so much if we could just input all of our extra books for the year once at the beginning of the year.

#144 of 150 Old 11-28-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRubyandKen View Post

I don't think they offer the books as eBooks. I think I will end up doing what I normally do - cut the binding and then 3-ring binder them. The boys can then write their answers on separate paper. I'm not sure about how the books work - from what I have gathered, it sounds like Sentence Composing is a bit easier and people are using it first (3rd grade or so) and then moving onto the Story Grammar book. I should have them in my hands on Tuesday, based on the Amazon shipping info, so I can give more information then. 

That would be wonderful, thanks! :) I've searched for threads on The Well Trained Mind forum and have just begun to read through. I really like the samples on the IEW site as well. I just ordered a beginning outlining book for my oldest dd last week and it should be here Monday. I think she actually has a lot of creative potential for writing and I'd like to help her along.

blogging.jpg

#145 of 150 Old 11-29-2010, 08:51 AM

Fun day so far.  We are dong watercolor painting for the first time. :)  We read a poem and then "The Shower of Gold" and then painted with yellow watercolors.  My ds11 is quite a perfectionist though....so he is having some trouble. 

Ds18 is doing math.  I think ds6 will do some watercolor as well.  Little girls are still sleeping! lol  Long weekend. :)

#146 of 150 Old 11-29-2010, 12:17 PM

Dd is at Gramma's this week, and I don't know what to do with myself, heh heh. They are having fun baking cookies, reading stories, going for walks in a snowy mountain town, watching plenty of movies I'm sure . . . hopefully they'll get to go swimming in the local hot springs.

Did I mention that we ordered that Lexmark printer? I can't wait til it gets here! We also have English for the Thoughtful Child, Child-sized Masterpieces, RSO Life, and a very simple piano program coming. Yay!!! I would like to download the Montessori continent folders . . . but we need a jump drive so I can take the images to be printed in color on cardstock somewhere else.

OT---I am so bummed that we can't type our favorite smileys in anymore :(

#147 of 150 Old 11-29-2010, 02:42 PM

Thanks, and congrats on your little girl!

What does everyone use for geography? We have Scrambled States and Where In the World but I'm thinking of getting a curriculum.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#148 of 150 Old 12-01-2010, 01:55 PM

is there a dec thread yet?  I have so little to add but love tagging along with the big people

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#149 of 150 Old 12-02-2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Aimee View Post

is there a dec thread yet?  I have so little to add but love tagging along with the big people

I came on to check too! I do much more reading than posting as well. :)

blogging.jpg

#150 of 150 Old 12-02-2010, 09:51 AM

Due to popular demand luxlove.gif here is the December threadjoy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page