CM/Classical November! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 150 Old 11-02-2010, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hope I am not stepping on toes- thought I would go ahead and start a new thread! Welcome to all the Classical and Charlotte Mason homeschoolers!

So, many exciting things going on for everyone.

Jessica - sounds like you had a really beautiful day! You didn't say or I missed, what did the boys think of the new 'style'?

MLW- I think I will be dusting off TWTM for the science rec's again as well. We are doing lots of nature time and exploring various areas there but I could use some guidance. I think I have the spines recommended- I am actually really excited about it all and will also be looking forward to what you are doing.

I am wondering does anyone here have any of the Lyrical Science cd's? I was looking at the Life Science one today and am considering ordering it. Seemed like a good way for some fun Science memory work.

Jennifer- I think that is great that the kids are so interested! Hey, if it's working don't change it!

We had a really great school day here, I love Mondays! Only problem is there is so much fun stuff to do I have a hard time stopping! We took a little walk this morning as well and actually managed to make it only 30 min. Before that we did our singing and lit. The kids adore singing. Right now we are working on learning Christmas carols as our co-op will be singing carols at a nursing home and Christmas carols are fun!

We studied Peter Paul Ruben today and one of the pieces on wiki by him was titled Massacre of the Innocents- I wasn't familiar but when I seen the title I thought that it was likely intense. However, when he said he wanted to look at it more I let him. It was so interesting watching him examine it and take it all in, the faces and such and try to figure out what he was conveying. At first he thought they were playing and then shortly after he realized it wasn't a happy painting.

He really enjoyed studying several of his paintings, I was amazed at the attention it held for him. However, when I asked him which one he liked best his quick answer was one of the lady- ie the one w/ the barebreasted lady. Now we don't really hide nudity around here, so it surprised me for a bit. He didn't freak out about it or anything- but they both did make note of Eve's nipples.

We got some new acrylic paint this weekend so of course we had to try it out- even I painted which was a blast. We also worked on mixing the colours together and seeing what new colour they made.

We also listened to Peter and the Wolf- the free Kiddie Records version- which I HIGHLY recommend, it was wonderful. Then we watched a Disney animated version and tonight we watched a version from 2006 which was an animated short film- won an Oscar(IIRC). So, I had dh burn me a copy of Peter, The Whale at the Met and Nutcracker (all from Kiddie Records) onto a CD for the van.

We did the basics as well, reading, writing, Math. We finished Poppy, when I started I was thinking it would be over their heads but it really held their attention. I did edit it a bit because I really didn't care for some of the dialogue but overall it was enjoyed. Now, I just got to pick the next read aloud- I had kind of planned for The Lion, Witch and Wardrobe but don't have the version yet that I want.

Tomorrow is Library day, so we will be rushed in the morning and be gone all day to Library and then co-op playgroup. Wednesday we will be home but Mom will be coming over we are starting on quilts then. I bought some fabric paint and am so excited to start this project, the plan is for a square a month- we need 9 for a twin-size quilt- then one square for them to sign and do handprints. Then they will pick out the material for the borders.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#2 of 150 Old 11-02-2010, 12:30 AM

Thanks for starting the new thread. That's all I have to say. I'm tired!

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
#3 of 150 Old 11-02-2010, 09:54 AM

Thanks for the fresh start, Crunchy!

We got a hard frost last night so my kids are outside in their new snowsuits, running through the crunchy grass! We'll have breakfast when they come in and then get to it.

That book about 1001 children's books has been amazing. I've given two copies to my best friend and my Mom becuase it's so good. Add that your Xmas/Yule/Hannukah lists everyone!

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#4 of 150 Old 11-02-2010, 10:34 AM

I am still here taqgging along with my 2 littles (3 now, oh wow -- and 5 in 12 days)

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#5 of 150 Old 11-02-2010, 11:49 AM

Hey everyone. Jess...we are a bit Waldorfy over here too, so I am glad that you are staying. Mondays are always crazy around here! I just started coaching dance team last Mon, so that added in the mix has been a bit....well...

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#6 of 150 Old 11-02-2010, 12:34 PM

Hi, I'd like to join in too. we have just started HS this fall and I think we are going CM....
school at home didn't work lol

Elizabeth
CNM mama to William 10, Clarissa 8 and Tucker 3
#7 of 150 Old 11-02-2010, 01:15 PM

Happy November, Everyone!

We had a good morning already. We went as a family to the polls to vote. DH walked DS1 through the process while holding DS2. Nice change for me!

When we got back DS was exploring our iMac and discovered he can make movies using the iPhoto Booth. So he's been making movies. Right now he's in the middle of an epic Halloween/Scooby movie. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

We did a lot of reading today. We read about el Dia de los Muertos, a book on weird ocean creatures, from SOTW and KHE about Ancient Cretes, and we worked on our abridged 20000 Leagues Under the Sea. I'd like to read the full-length version next if he'll "let" me. I've enjoyed the abridgment but I recognize it's lack of depth [a tunnel under the isthmus between Africa and the Middle East covered in 2 sentences?! I want details, people!].
Then we did reading. I'm liking Phonics Pathways better than OPGTR. DS read "Sleepy Bear" to me. And we did some handwriting practice.
We started the unit on shapes in math. I'm not planning to spend tons of time on this as he got a thorough intro to that last year, and I'd rather focus on other things, like patterns and the functions.

We haven't done any science yet other than the ocean creatures read-aloud. I'm not really enjoying the Classical Life Science curriculum I down-loaded. Some aspects are interesting, but.... meh.
Who was it that did the huge felt wall? That sounds more fun.... It doesn't help that I don't enjoy "doing" science. bah

Now we ate lunch and he's working on his movie, which is already 10 minutes long! Eeep! I hope he doesn't fill up the hard-drive.
#8 of 150 Old 11-02-2010, 01:53 PM

MLW, Living Memory showed up today! Very, very cool. Thanks for the recommendation. We've mastered Caterpillar so it's time to move on.

We're having a relaxing day here. It was supposed to be 40 but it's closer to 60 and that's rare enough that I think everyone just needs to be outside. We saw a praying mantis and to see that in November is pretty cool!

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#9 of 150 Old 11-02-2010, 02:28 PM

Oh yay on Living Memory!

We are going to go vote soon - I am not feeling well (ended up getting whatever dh and ds#3 had/have) and don't think I'll have the energy to go later when dh gets home from work. So, he can take the boys again this evening. Otherwise, we are having a cranky day around here - I have no patience (really need to be sleeping but that won't happen until tonight), and the boys all decided to wake on the wrong side of the bed. Overall, at least, their behavior isn't non-stop, but it's trying enough.

#10 of 150 Old 11-02-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
Jessica - sounds like you had a really beautiful day! You didn't say or I missed, what did the boys think of the new 'style'?
They LOVE it. Even Nate participates, whereas before he would be busy off playing by himself. The stuff we're doing is too much fun to miss out on, though! I don't know why I didn't do math this way before. Nik loves Noble Knights of Knowledge, but we were only doing it one day per week. Math Mammoth is a good program, but it's not much fun! Today we did a "2 is" lesson and then I modified the Math mammoth lesson we would have been on to be Waldorf-y. (I know you're all impressed by my made-up vocabulary! ) Then Nik asked to play Zeus on the Loose, so I had him write some of the additions he couldn't do in his head in his main lesson book and solve them. We spent twice as much time working on math as we normally would because Nik was having so much FUN! Our main reason for homeschooling was to give our children a better education, but an equally important reason was to make them love learning and for their education to be fun. I feel like maybe I'm finally on the path to accomplishing that.

I told the story of how the apple got the star today, continuing with our Autumn theme. Then we made apple stamps and painted for a bit. We also carved an apple to turn into an apple doll.

Quote:
We also listened to Peter and the Wolf- the free Kiddie Records version- which I HIGHLY recommend, it was wonderful. Then we watched a Disney animated version and tonight we watched a version from 2006 which was an animated short film- won an Oscar(IIRC). So, I had dh burn me a copy of Peter, The Whale at the Met and Nutcracker (all from Kiddie Records) onto a CD for the van.
Thank you for recommending this! We actually read a picture book of Peter and the Wolf yesterday. So today we pulled the book out and listened to the Kiddie records version while looking at the book again. It was great! We're watching the Oscar-winning version on Netflix instant play right now.

Nate spent most of the time Nik and I were learning re-arranging the nature table. There is now a lion chasing a swan. Peter and the Wolf's wolf chasing duck, perhaps? We don't have wolf or duck toys, but the Schleich lion and swan figures are an excellent substitute!

Quote:
Wednesday we will be home but Mom will be coming over we are starting on quilts then. I bought some fabric paint and am so excited to start this project, the plan is for a square a month- we need 9 for a twin-size quilt- then one square for them to sign and do handprints. Then they will pick out the material for the borders.
That sounds like fun, too! My dad is a quilter, so I'm just waiting for the boys to be a little bit bigger before we do a project with him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer3141 View Post
We got a hard frost last night so my kids are outside in their new snowsuits, running through the crunchy grass! We'll have breakfast when they come in and then get to it.
We got frost, too. We didn't go out an play in it, though. We should have! My stomach was a little upset this morning, so we're doing our walk this afternoon.

Quote:
That book about 1001 children's books has been amazing. I've given two copies to my best friend and my Mom becuase it's so good. Add that your Xmas/Yule/Hannukah lists everyone!
I missed the mention of this book. I need to go back and re-read the thread, I guess!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Aimee View Post
I am still here taqgging along with my 2 littles (3 now, oh wow -- and 5 in 12 days)
5 is a fun age! It's not without it's challenges, of course, but they are becoming so independent by then that things become fun in a whole new way.

We're going to spend the afternoon making and playing with scented playdough, taking a walk to gather pinecones and acorn caps, and fingerknitting. My parents will be home from their almost month-long vacation tonight, so we'll probably spend tomorrow with Oma finding out about all of the places they visited and tracing their route on a map. I know she found some great treasures for them, and I can't wait to see what they are! She's really good about bringing them things that teach them something about the locations she's visited instead of just bringing them back a t-shirt or something. We have taratulas and scorpions in acrylic, books about animal scat and habitats, shells and rocks, a sombrero and poncho, etc. I love my parents! (Now if only I could afford to travel with them!)

Peter and the Wolf is just about over, so I guess I should go gather the play dough ingredients. I hope everyone has a fabulous afternoon!

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#11 of 150 Old 11-02-2010, 04:32 PM

It's November so I threw Latin in today. This is going to be just fine!!

Jessica, I'm lusting after your Noble Knights. I'd sell my crabby DS to get that.

#12 of 150 Old 11-02-2010, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thanks for all the feedback on the other thread, I appreciate it! I dug out SOTW vol 1 and the activity book and dd1 was really excited. And stocked back up on some art/craft supplies. So hopefully that will get her mind off of public school

So we had a decent day. We got a late start because I had a funeral to attend but dd1 didn't whine or pout at all when I got back and we got started. Her attitude has been a big issue this year (and last year) and it's frustrating for me. My mom says I need to put her in public school (because apparently there are no bratty kids in ps? )...actually she said it in front of dd1, which was what spurned the "I want to go to public school!" My mom doesn't think sometimes.
#13 of 150 Old 11-02-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
It's November so I threw Latin in today. This is going to be just fine!!

Jessica, I'm lusting after your Noble Knights. I'd sell my crabby DS to get that.
As much as Nik loves it I couldn't ever sell it. Especially for a crabby DS! If it was a happy DS I might consider it. I wouldn't mind more children.

I posted a message, I think on the WTM boards, that I wanted to buy it and eventually got a response. I really wish the company would sell the rights to publish it to another company if they aren't planning on re-opening and re-publishing it themselves.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#14 of 150 Old 11-02-2010, 08:43 PM

Jessica, I am in agreement with you. Why not sell the rights before you quit if there are still people interested??

I'm glad things are going better for you, Cherry!

#15 of 150 Old 11-03-2010, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

BabyCrazy- Welcome!

MamaRana-Do you guys enjoy Nature Studies? The kids always enjoy that and Science experiments- Magic School Bus is a fav as well. Netflix has Beakman's World and Bill Nye is available on-line- maybe something to spark their interest.

I have some of the Classics Illus. as well and trying to decide if we should read them. I think right now though we are sticking to other full length books that are shorter. But whatever they get of good literature has to be a positive. I have read it does help pique their interest in the classics.

CherryBomb- Glad the day was better! I don't have advice about crabby kids- it seems my son's attitude greatly depends on his amount of sleep. And yes, plenty of kids w/ attitude in public school!

Jessica- I enjoyed reading about your day. It is always interesting for me to read about what others are doing, sometimes it gives me ideas of things to add or things to consider. I love the focus on crafts and nature, those things are huge around here. Another thing I have figured out ds love to color, adores it, so I think I might start w/ some coloring, work it in one way or another. We have a little Nature area as well, although I didn't really plan it, we needed something to put all the cool things we found on hikes.

The Noble Knights of Knowledge sounds very interesting as well. We do have fun w/ our games.

MLW- Hope you are snoozing away and have a better day today!

We had a good day yesterday, no official schooling though, just reading. Library day is always busy. We had worked ahead in writing, religion and lit. I meant to do Math and Reading but it didn't happen, although likely we will do some an extra day this weekend. That seems to work better than trying to cram things in before or after library- we leave by 10am and get home 5 or so.

My mom now says she likely won't be over as my nephew they think has strep, typical.

Aggravating as she has the flat sheet for our quilt blocks, hopefully we can get it soon though. I will have to think of some other artsy project for today.

Oh, I found a shield for ds for 25c at Goodwill today, so we bought it and put it back for Christmas, he has been lusting after the ones in Rainbow Resource and will be thrilled. I think I might have dh make him a wood sword to go with it.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#16 of 150 Old 11-03-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:

MamaRana-Do you guys enjoy Nature Studies? The kids always enjoy that and Science experiments- Magic School Bus is a fav as well. Netflix has Beakman's World and Bill Nye is available on-line- maybe something to spark their interest.

Sadly, I don't really know what a nature study is. : Nor a nature table, really [and sadly, I don't really have a place to put one at the minute since my toddler is into EVERYTHING]. I need to make a commitment to look into those. DS1 is really interested in a lot of science things. I had originally planned to basically unschool that and follow his lead, but I felt like we weren't getting much actually done, so I thought I'd follow a curriculum to get a more consistent coverage and sequence.
I liked the idea in the Classic Science by Mr. Q of doing lots of experiments, but so far there have been "activities" but no actual investigations with questions, controls, experimentals, etc. :/ And there are so many typos in the text. Argh! Drives me bonkers. I'm glad I'm reading it aloud so I can correct them as I go along rather than having him reading incorrect language. Frankly the REAL Science Odyssey looks better, but I'm loathe to switch again.
#17 of 150 Old 11-03-2010, 11:06 AM

Good morning!

It's library day for us. We leave in an hour.

Mama, we are loving REAL science and my friend found it used on ebay for about $10. It was missing a couple of pages but luckily they were from the time period where the lessons are free on the net.

#18 of 150 Old 11-03-2010, 06:10 PM

I really like the looks of REAL Science and I may use it when my youngest is of age.

I've been off for awhile, but I finally caught up reading old posts to October's thread and now this new one. We took a week off school as Halloween and ds' birthday are in the same week. We had company and other fun things to do. We harvested the last of our veggies, dp broke up and turned under the plants, and we all helped top mulch the garden spots with leaves. My older dd (10) did some crafts with my younger dd (2). We cut out shapes of pumpkins and various facial features to choose from and glue on. Also some handprint spiders with google eyes, lol. Too cute. Eldest dd carved her first pumpkin using a pattern for a haunted house. It turned out quite excellently! I carved a cat for younger dd and she was pleased. I made gf cupcakes and Nana made ds (newly 9) a cool guitar cake to celebrate his birthday.

I can't remember who mentioned the egg molds, but I am now lusting after those and cute sandwich cutters, lol. I reserved a book Yum, Yum Bento Box from the library and I am completely enthralled with this type of eye candy! Its so funny a concept to me and I'm adoring penguin rice balls and meat and cheese mushrooms.

As for school we've begun Ancient Egypt this week. I purchased a papyrus making kit and the kids are currently attempting to make papyrus. It also came with a piece of papyrus plain and one with hieroglyphs printed on it. I but the papyrus into four cartouche shaped pieces and dd and ds wrote their names in hieroglyphs while I did little dd's. Little dd enjoyed writing on hers too. I'd also lucked into an Ancient Egypt kit and the game senet at the thrift store. They decoded a message with a hieroglyph decoder wheel and made a simple paperstock model of the Sphinx and the Great Pyramid at Giza.

I'm still reading Charlotte's Web aloud, though we're not as far as I'd thought we'd be by now. Dd, 10, is reading Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, and ds, 9, finished Time Cat and has started Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

My kids seem to be 'behind' most other classical homeschooler's kids as we're just now using WWE 1, starting formal grammar (though they've picked up a lot already) and are starting our first cycle through History. I'm very happy with where we're at though. I've seen a dramatic improvement in both children's handwriting this year. My dd is also really grasping Math concepts that seemed difficult to her in the past. Best of all to me, they are both finally really enjoying reading quality chapter books themselves! Yah for that!

blogging.jpg

#19 of 150 Old 11-03-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRubyandKen View Post
My kids seem to be 'behind' most other classical homeschooler's kids as we're just now using WWE 1, starting formal grammar (though they've picked up a lot already) and are starting our first cycle through History. I'm very happy with where we're at though. I've seen a dramatic improvement in both children's handwriting this year. My dd is also really grasping Math concepts that seemed difficult to her in the past. Best of all to me, they are both finally really enjoying reading quality chapter books themselves! Yah for that!
I've actually realized this week that I was trying to push ds#1 (9/4th grade) too fast with writing. He has been behind, and when I look at the progress he has made, he's done very well. (He was working at a K level half way through 2nd grade and is now almost at "grade" level with reading.) We were trying to do WWE 4 this year after doing WWE 3 last year. But, last year we did not do dictation from WWE 3 even though it is written as such. So, this year I realized we needed to start with dictation, but the passages are so long and so complex (for example: 3 sentences, the first has a comma and two hyphens, the second is fine and the third has 3 commas!) that he was struggling big time. The narration passages also got really complex quickly. So, after posting about it on WTM and talking it out, I'm taking him back to the last 5 weeks of WWE 2 and then we're going to go through WWE 3 (but I don't think we are going to do the workbook again - I think I'm going to use the hardback WWE The Complete Writer book to plan my own). Then in 5th grade (probably mid-5th grade) we'll go back to WWE 4. I think I'm going to model my WWE 3 lessons around either Mr. Popper's Penguins or Farmer Boy. That way we can read the book together and also use it for narration and dictation. We'll continue to do narration/dictation or copywork from his oral dictation for history and science.

He's also just restarting his first cycle of history with the Ancients. I've decided that starting history in 1st grade was too fast for us, mostly because the content gets really "heavy" in SOTW 3 and 4 (in my opinion). So, ds#1 has already done Ancients and Medieval, but in the middle of last year I decided to restart Ancients again and we are finishing it this year. He'll only end up with 2 full cycles of world history, but I figure that's probably two cycles more than he would get in school. Ds#2 is doing Ancients this year with ds#1 and will continue on the same cycle, so he'll end up with a bit more history than his older brother. But, I've also decided that ds#3 and Little Bean will start world history some time around 3rd grade. So, I supposed on all that I am working behind most other classical hs'ers too.

(Oh, and after my experiences with ds#1 and ds#2 and WWE - ds#2 is doing WWE 2 right now but I think it's a bit much still for him too and I may backtrack him to WWE 1 for the rest of the year - I'm not going to start ds#3 or Little Bean in WWE 1 until 2nd grade.)

Today we did some school work. I'm still not feeling great, but am in a slightly better mood than yesterday (which is funny because I slept horribly last night). So, we did math, spelling, writing, and grammar. Ds#1 actually seemed happy to go back to the end of WWE 2; I thought he might not like using the same book as ds#2 (though that's probably going to change anyway ) but he did really well. I'm not going to worry about science or history the rest of the week; we can catch up with those next week if need be (science was going to take all of 10 minutes to do two labs; so we can do them on Friday if I want along with dictation/copywork on sedimentary and metamorphic rocks; history was just more of Alexander the Great, which we covered well last week too).

#20 of 150 Old 11-03-2010, 07:22 PM

Well, this week so far has been pretty non-productive, at least academically. We had a lot of errands and running about to do on both Monday and Tuesday, so Monday was just bare bones (but we did get two spelling lessons in!) and Tuesday was nada. To be fair, though, we did do a pretty lengthy nature walk and have just really been enjoying family life together.

Today we did our language arts minus copywork, reviewed Latin, a little Miquon Blue, and dd did a fun Geography activity sorting animal cards to match each animal up to its home continent. She did really well and enjoyed the work; we read a little bit about each animal. I think we'll do it again this week and then something similar with the landmark cards I have. Geography is going great!

We have pretty much fallen off of the Singapore Math wagon this week. I hope we can "catch up" tho this chapter was really important (subtraction with borrowing), and she "got it" last Friday, but now has had several days with no exposure to the concept. Oh well, life happens!

We've also had a handy-man in and out of the house and banging and spraying and sawing, so that has been pretty distracting to homeschool, but hey, dd has learned a lot about plaster and building things---he is a dad interested in homeschooling and receptive to all her questions. It's really cool to see someone understanding the value of every day learning opportunities and being very positive abt hs-ing.

Lots of practical life work here, too. She has been helping a lot in the kitchen and independently taking on chores around the house Most importantly, her attitude is a lot more peaceful and non-confrontational this week

I think we will do a little AAS tonight, a quick FLL, and maybe I'll read the sotw chapter to her---she doesn't like re-playing the audio but definitely benefits from several "listenings".

Oh, and we worked it out with our charter for dd to come visit and read with the reading specialist; dd's actually really excited about this. I think for her "level" she's reading really good . . . IDK I go back and forth, but I think the really informal evaluation might help give us some feedback on what her needs are and how to help her. We also learned that they will be supportive if we our decide to "retain" her one year, but that the charter can only advance/retain a student once during their entire enrollment. Right now I'm still about 80% positive about holding her back "on paper" and continuing with our regular plan . . . but I will wait until the end of the academic year to make a final decision.

Happy and in love with my family!
#21 of 150 Old 11-03-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Jessica- I enjoyed reading about your day. It is always interesting for me to read about what others are doing, sometimes it gives me ideas of things to add or things to consider. I love the focus on crafts and nature, those things are huge around here. Another thing I have figured out ds love to color, adores it, so I think I might start w/ some coloring, work it in one way or another. We have a little Nature area as well, although I didn't really plan it, we needed something to put all the cool things we found on hikes.

The Noble Knights of Knowledge sounds very interesting as well. We do have fun w/ our games.
I love hearing about other's days, as well. Noble Knights isn't a game, it's actually a full curriculum. However, it's in the Waldorf-style so the teacher has to create many of the problems based on the model that they provide. It overwhelmed me at first, but after reading a ton of Waldorf blogs and just letting it all soak in I'm finally comfortable with it. Today we did a review of Roman numerals, using rocks I made based on the ones I saw at Ancient Hearth blog. Here is a pic from the blog. I want to make sure Nik has a good grasp of the concepts we've covered so far before we concentrate on time and money and then move on to multiplication.

Quote:
My mom now says she likely won't be over as my nephew they think has strep, typical.

Aggravating as she has the flat sheet for our quilt blocks, hopefully we can get it soon though. I will have to think of some other artsy project for today.
Bummer! I hope your nephew is feeling better, and that you get to start quilting soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Rana View Post
Sadly, I don't really know what a nature study is. : Nor a nature table, really [and sadly, I don't really have a place to put one at the minute since my toddler is into EVERYTHING]. I need to make a commitment to look into those. DS1 is really interested in a lot of science things. I had originally planned to basically unschool that and follow his lead, but I felt like we weren't getting much actually done, so I thought I'd follow a curriculum to get a more consistent coverage and sequence.
I liked the idea in the Classic Science by Mr. Q of doing lots of experiments, but so far there have been "activities" but no actual investigations with questions, controls, experimentals, etc. :/ And there are so many typos in the text. Argh! Drives me bonkers. I'm glad I'm reading it aloud so I can correct them as I go along rather than having him reading incorrect language. Frankly the REAL Science Odyssey looks better, but I'm loathe to switch again.
We switched to REAL Science Odyssey from Classical Science by Mr. Q for the same reasons you mentioned. We liked RSO a lot better. Of course, now I'm mostly unschooling science. Sort of backwards from what you did.

Quote:
I've been off for awhile, but I finally caught up reading old posts to October's thread and now this new one. We took a week off school as Halloween and ds' birthday are in the same week. We had company and other fun things to do. We harvested the last of our veggies, dp broke up and turned under the plants, and we all helped top mulch the garden spots with leaves. My older dd (10) did some crafts with my younger dd (2). We cut out shapes of pumpkins and various facial features to choose from and glue on. Also some handprint spiders with google eyes, lol. Too cute. Eldest dd carved her first pumpkin using a pattern for a haunted house. It turned out quite excellently! I carved a cat for younger dd and she was pleased. I made gf cupcakes and Nana made ds (newly 9) a cool guitar cake to celebrate his birthday.
That sounds like so much fun! Happy belated b-day to your son.

Quote:
I'd also lucked into an Ancient Egypt kit and the game senet at the thrift store. They decoded a message with a hieroglyph decoder wheel and made a simple paperstock model of the Sphinx and the Great Pyramid at Giza.
We made our own senet game and had a lot of fun playing it last year! Making papyrus sounds awesome. Please let us know how it turns out!

Quote:
I'm very happy with where we're at though. I've seen a dramatic improvement in both children's handwriting this year. My dd is also really grasping Math concepts that seemed difficult to her in the past. Best of all to me, they are both finally really enjoying reading quality chapter books themselves! Yah for that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post
I think I'm going to model my WWE 3 lessons around either Mr. Popper's Penguins or Farmer Boy. That way we can read the book together and also use it for narration and dictation. We'll continue to do narration/dictation or copywork from his oral dictation for history and science.
That sounds like a good plan to me!

Quote:
He's also just restarting his first cycle of history with the Ancients. I've decided that starting history in 1st grade was too fast for us, mostly because the content gets really "heavy" in SOTW 3 and 4 (in my opinion). So, ds#1 has already done Ancients and Medieval, but in the middle of last year I decided to restart Ancients again and we are finishing it this year. He'll only end up with 2 full cycles of world history, but I figure that's probably two cycles more than he would get in school. Ds#2 is doing Ancients this year with ds#1 and will continue on the same cycle, so he'll end up with a bit more history than his older brother. But, I've also decided that ds#3 and Little Bean will start world history some time around 3rd grade. So, I supposed on all that I am working behind most other classical hs'ers too.
I worry about this. We started ancients in kindergarten because Nik couldn't wait any longer. That puts him in 2nd grade for the heavy stuff if we stay on schedule. I think we'll just go r e a l l y slowly and let him soak up all of the medieval history that he wants (it's his main historical interest, so that should work out perfectly) and get to more modern hsitory when we get to it. As long as he has a full cycle through in high school he'll have a much better history education than I did!

Quote:
Today we did some school work. I'm still not feeling great, but am in a slightly better mood than yesterday (which is funny because I slept horribly last night).
I'm happy to hear that you're feeling better!

We had another fabulous day! Since so many people seem interested in what we're doing, I thought I would take a few minutes to write about some of the things we're switching up and/or Waldorf-ifying.

We covered copywork differently than we used to, and it was a great success! I asked Nik to give me an idea for a story. The plan was to create copywork sentences around an idea of his. He went one further and started telling me his own story! (Marc makes up stories to tell them all of the time, and they often help out with details. I think that has helped make him confident in his ability to "write" a story, providing he doesn't have to do the physical writing of the story at the same time he is creating the tale.) He chose to tell one about a gnome that wanted to be a knight. So I wrote the title and first sentence on a piece of paper and he used a ruler to create straight lines in his main lesson book and then copied it down. He then created an illustration to go with it. I told him that we could scan all of the pages into the computer and print them out for him when his story is all told so that he has it all in one place instead of scattered throughout his main lesson book.

We also changed up spelling. We use AAS, but I saw an idea on a blog to write the spelling words on paper leaves or other seasonal shapes. So instead of our usual AAS lesson I read him a word and he spelled it to me. We tossed a beanbag back and forth while he spelled words, which seemed to make the lesson extra fun for him. Now the leaves are in a bowl, along with a few circles that I cut out with common words such as "I", "we", "the", "a", "and", etc. We took a couple of minutes to make up funny sentences using the spelling words plus these common words. We were both laughing by the time the lesson was done.

I think those were our only new changes today. We did some memory work with out opening and closing verses, some history reading, read-alouds, and math as described earlier in this post. Nik also tried to teach me how to play chess. He's still learning himself, so it was comical. He had some questions about geysers that I couldn't answer, so we did some Googling and found the answers. That led to questions about Yellowstone, Mount St Helens, volcanoes in general, etc, etc, etc.

Eventually we had to quit searching so we could go visit my parents, who just returned from a long vacation out west and had many treasures for us. They brought back so many great things! We have geodes to crack, sandstone and volcanic rock to study, a North American animal matching game, a stuffed mountain lion and skunk to snuggle, a small animal skull to study, and a Cherokee language dictionary! We also have maps and a list of the states and major cities that they visited so we can do a geography lesson on it all tomorrow. Nik is also really into the Cherokee dictionary, so we may take a short break from Latin and learn some Cherokee. My great grandfather was 1/2 Cherokee, and I find myself incredibly interested in learning some of the language myself.

This post took me an hour to finish with all of the breaks I had to take for various chores. I wonder how many people have posted since I started writing.

#22 of 150 Old 11-04-2010, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

MamaRana- first you need to check out www.handbookofnaturestudy.blogspot.com Nature Study can be so simple, start with just taking the kids outside and seeing what they can find that is interesting. What can they hear? See? Smell? With it being Autumn there are so many easy things to observe- migrating geese, fall leaves, dying plants. Go outside see what piques there interest and then maybe google around about it or check out some library books on the subject. Let them draw a picture. Find a shelf or other safe place for them to collect things. Dd1 likes to collect wild flowers, grasses and such so I generally have a little vase(old tin can) for her to keep her collections. The important thing is to get outside!!!

MLW- sorry to hear you are still feeling bad Are you feeling like you are going to explode yet? I think you are doing great for how pregnant you are!!!

It seems to from reading on WTM that a fair amt do wait on the An. Hist for the reasons you said and others. I am thinking we will start it next year but I am not certain, as much as I like to plan I have to wait and see.

I think that is awesome as well that you are backing up on the Writing for ds1. I think that is one of the biggest challenges and joys of hs'ing is making sure you are tailoring everything to each individual kid. I think as hs'ers it can be at times easy to get in the mind of going to fast because it is so much put on us as to what they learn.

craft-media-hero- Well, a more happy and co-operative daughter is priceless. I don't think anyone would argue that is not time well spent. I hope the evaluation goes well and you get some needed information.

MissRubyKen- The Ancient Egypt studies sound so cool. I wouldn't worry about what other hs'ers - you have to do what works for your kids. I have 2 friends w/ kids 1-2 yrs younger than my son who are reading many levels above him. You'll have to give your reviews of your read-alouds when you are done- we haven't read those yet.

Jessica- Sounds like another great day, you can hear the enthusiasm in your voice. I will have to keep the thoughts and ideas for Math in mind. My son loves telling stories as well, sounds like a great way to encourage ideas. My only problem w/ such things is Luke can read very little and doesn't even recognize all the letters(although he has made great strides) it seems pointless to have him copywork things he cannot read.

I like the AAS ideas I think that we are going to wait until next term to start it but whatever I can glean about how to apply it is wonderful.

We had a good day here as well. We started w/ our singing and such, this week I decided to start them on memorizing the Pledge of Allegiance. He has really blossomed w/ his memory work before it was just impossible. He now has the Lord's Prayer memorized, which is fairly long- he just got that down in the last day or two. I am trying to decide next if we will do a bible verse or another prayer in that area.

We took another morning walk, I have found the perfect spot to walk to- it doesn't take us overly long (we can go to and fro in 30 min) and at the end there is a grapevine for them to swing on- which is always fun.

We finally back up to speed in reading, we had to spend a couple of weeks review but he just did his review on his book again and it was much, much better this time. I think we will start making our fall weather observations today, I meant to do that yesterday but forgot.

It is looking very windy and chilly today

#23 of 150 Old 11-04-2010, 09:32 AM

Thanks, Crunchy-Mama, I'll check that out. And Jessica, thanks for letting me know it's not just me about Mr. Q's program.

I think my problem with science is 2-fold: I don't enjoy doing it. I don't enjoy redoing experiments that have been done a cajillion times before, and I could just google the answers to. I know it's not for me, but it's hard for me to be enthusiastic about it and plan for it, etc., when I'm feeling that way.
And as for nature studies I don't really like being outside And again, it's not for me, and the fresh air and sun does us all good... I just don't enjoy it, so I have to really force myself. Esp. now that the weather is getting yucky. :/

Ok, so now that I've gotten that out of my system, hopefully I can get over it, and do something about it.

Today is wet and dreary. It's 8:30 and it is practically pitch dark. blah But DS has a playdate to look forward to this afternoon with one of his PS friends, and we need to swing by the library. And I've got a fun art project to do: we're studying the Minoans, and I thought we'd try to do a "fresco" by using water colors on wet air-dry clay. I hope it works, cuz I don't have any plaster of Paris.
#24 of 150 Old 11-04-2010, 10:09 AM

MyLittleWonders- I bet Mr. Popper's Penguins would be great for WWE selections. I think I'll feel a lot more comfortable venturing into doing this on my own next year.

Jessica- Those Roman Numeral rocks are cool!

Mama Rana- How old is your student again? If they are reading competently I'd suggest buying some Science Kits and let them at it on their own. I have a bunch of the Young Scientist Club kits and they are quite doable for young kids and have pretty much everything needed provided. We are using them with Noeo Science. My only complaint so far with the combination is that the complexity of the Noeo's suggested reading materials doesn't mesh with the simplicity of some of the kit experiments. My children are older, 9 and 10, so the suggested reading in the Usborne books isn't too much for them and we've done most of the kit experiments, skipped a few, and substituted with others I've gotten elsewhere. However, if you were to just use the kits for a younger child, maybe 6-8?, the reading materials provided with the kits is much more simplistic and matches the experiments well.

gtg- My ds is wanting me to show him how to make scrambled eggs. His specialty is egg sandwiches, but apparently he feels like branching out this morning.

blogging.jpg

#25 of 150 Old 11-04-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
MyLittleWonders- I bet Mr. Popper's Penguins would be great for WWE selections. I think I'll feel a lot more comfortable venturing into doing this on my own next year.

Jessica- Those Roman Numeral rocks are cool!

Mama Rana- How old is your student again? If they are reading competently I'd suggest buying some Science Kits and let them at it on their own. I have a bunch of the Young Scientist Club kits and they are quite doable for young kids and have pretty much everything needed provided. We are using them with Noeo Science. My only complaint so far with the combination is that the complexity of the Noeo's suggested reading materials doesn't mesh with the simplicity of some of the kit experiments. My children are older, 9 and 10, so the suggested reading in the Usborne books isn't too much for them and we've done most of the kit experiments, skipped a few, and substituted with others I've gotten elsewhere. However, if you were to just use the kits for a younger child, maybe 6-8?, the reading materials provided with the kits is much more simplistic and matches the experiments well.

gtg- My ds is wanting me to show him how to make scrambled eggs. His specialty is egg sandwiches, but apparently he feels like branching out this morning.
DS is 6. I have no idea how to quantify his reading level! Which is sad since I used to be a kindy teacher Anyway, I'll look at some of those kits; that might satisfy him without "annoying" me. Thanks.
#26 of 150 Old 11-04-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:

MLW- sorry to hear you are still feeling bad Are you feeling like you are going to explode yet? I think you are doing great for how pregnant you are!!!

It seems to from reading on WTM that a fair amt do wait on the An. Hist for the reasons you said and others. I am thinking we will start it next year but I am not certain, as much as I like to plan I have to wait and see.

I think that is awesome as well that you are backing up on the Writing for ds1. I think that is one of the biggest challenges and joys of hs'ing is making sure you are tailoring everything to each individual kid. I think as hs'ers it can be at times easy to get in the mind of going to fast because it is so much put on us as to what they learn.
Thanks. It's starting to sink in that I'm only a few weeks away from carrying the baby in my arms rather than in my abdomen! Sometimes it makes me and other times it makes me . I'm excited though.

I'm glad ds#1 was happy about backing up - sometimes his desire to be the biggest brother outweighs his need to do things at level. But, he was even trying to tell ds#2 that backing up is a good thing if needed. He is definitely helping me see how to do better with his younger siblings; sometimes I feel badly that he's my guinea pig, but I think in the long run, it'll all work out.

Quote:
I am going to pick up a copy of Mr. Popper's Penguins at the library tomorrow. I thought we had it (we might - I still need to look in the garage in the book boxes), but I did pull a couple other books of the shelf to preview - Little House in the Big Woods and Henry & the Paper Route. I'm thinking I might do the same for ds#2 for the rest of the year - back up to the second half of WWE 1 suggestions for narration/copywork, but still keep the format of WWE 2 - the copywork from the first day becomes dictation on day three. Someone on WTM had a great idea of planning it out (typing out all copywork/dictation passages and even writing down page numbers/paragraphs for actual narration exercises) and then binding it into my own "book". So ... I think I'll work on that. If I can use the same book for both boys, but have the exercises aimed at their level, it'd help tremendously (that's what I do for history and science - I use the same books for both but tailor the copywork/dictation/narration for each of them.

#27 of 150 Old 11-04-2010, 01:49 PM

Mr. Popper's Penguins is in my 1001 books so it's on my waiting list at the library!!

We did reading and a little science today. I'm having a hard time getting the kids to settle down. (It might have something to do with me letting them have some candy while I read this morning! )

We NEED to do our cell drawings because tomorrow. We're moving on in science. We're a little behind.

We read about one of the early fathers of paleontology (sp? that doesn't look right.) today - an artist by the name Waterhouse Dawkins. Did you all know that "Boss" Teed from NYC destroyed TWO years worth of dinosaur models Dawkins was making for Central Park?? I'm so mad I want to drive to NYC today and spit on Tweed's grave.

Mama, is there anyway you could tag team science with another homschooler? I swear, the science stuff is more fun in a little group. They feed off of each other's curiosity and excitement. We just finished the Minoans a couple of weeks ago!! We start the Babylonians and Hittites today.

My confession of the week is that we don't actually "do" spelling. I am a pretty good speller. I always was. I hated those dumb lists we had to do with "hat" and "cat" and "up" and such. So when we do science or history, I make up a list. We're finishing up dinosaurs so that's a word, then I'll add a couple of simpler dinosaur names and words like "plants" "lizards," etc.

Sometimes I'll print a list off the internet but spelling bored me so much as a kid. Maybe that will come later? Technically, neither child is reading on their own yet.

#28 of 150 Old 11-04-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:

My confession of the week is that we don't actually "do" spelling. I am a pretty good speller. I always was. I hated those dumb lists we had to do with "hat" and "cat" and "up" and such. So when we do science or history, I make up a list. We're finishing up dinosaurs so that's a word, then I'll add a couple of simpler dinosaur names and words like "plants" "lizards," etc.
We didn't 'do' spelling until this year. I considered copywork enough for beginning grammar and spelling at younger ages, along with my answering how to spell words whenever asked. My kids are 9 and 10 and we are now starting Sequential Spelling. They both spell very well.

blogging.jpg

#29 of 150 Old 11-04-2010, 02:14 PM

I think I'm also leaning towards Mr. Popper's Penguins because I have Deconstructing Penguins and would love to use their model of discussion for M.P.P with the boys. I know the older two would both love it. I guess I need to shlep out to the garage today and see if it's in a box before using the excuse of not being able to find it to buy another copy!

Oh, and I have the 1001 Books book on hold at the library - I'm looking forward to reading it.

Ok, off to find mine somewhere in the house ... they are awfully quiet!!!

#30 of 150 Old 11-04-2010, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

I think Mr. Popper's Penguins would be great as well. We really enjoyed this book and it has nice simple sentences to start for dictation.

I am going to have to find this 1,001 Books to Read to Your Children, that is a new one to me. I was just checking the library this past weekend trying to find the book Deconstructing Penguins but they don't have it. I meant to request that ILL Tues but I forgot. I am guessing you would recommend it MLW? We also have the book How to Read a Book by Adler and I have seen it recommended a lot but I haven't read it yet.

Mama Rana- sorry that you don't like it outside! I think just going out more and more really does help that though. It helps me to get dressed every day.

We had a good day today. Took a nice walk this am and found some great climbing trees. Observed the weather for Nature Study, played games outside for part of our Wampanoag study.

We did some coloring, we colored a US Flag today and a pic for All Saint's Day(yes I know I'm late). Since we are learning the Pledge of Allegiance I thought it would be fun to do a US flag. For Math we are working on equations so we played a game of war and I had him write out each time what he had, it was a good fun way to practice. I forgot we played Mad Libs last night, he wanted to play too so he got introduced to the concept of nouns, adjectives and verbs.

For lunch we watched the Netflix streaming movie about Mammals:Marsupials, it was a nice change of pace. We haven't read as much the past few days as we read and read and read all weekend. I am undecided as to our next chapter book. I did get The Reluctant Dragon from the library but it is pretty short- I was thinking of that and perhaps a Holling book for now.

Jennifer- I think that is a great idea about tagging up w/ Science, I wish I had someone to do that with- although I have too much of an opinion about how I want to do it likely. Your lucky to have such cool stuff around to visit.

I think we will be heading to the library soon, the Science guy has been rescheduled for today.

OH and very excited I won a family four-pack of tickets for the Nutcracker Ballet!!!! It is a week from Sat!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page