Pre-school Homeschool Books - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-03-2010, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Need some good how-2 homeschool pre-school books!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2010, 09:27 PM

There are a TON! I could post book after book after book I have looked through. I personally have been disappointed with the "curriculum" books I have seen though. Most are for teachers or for doing "school at home." Which isn't us.

Here we are a funny blend of Waldorf, Montessori, and "other." Here is what I have to reference, if that helps.

I would suggest at this age getting books to learn how children learn. I have The Three R's by Beechick and just ordered Language and Thinking for Young Children by Beechick.

The closest I have to "curriculum" is
- Little Acorn Learning

I would suggest an art book. We have Little Hands Art Book. Preschool Art by Kohl is also good.

Trish Kuffner has a lot of good preschool books. I have The Preschooler's Busy Book and Picture Book Activities. Picture Books Activities is a book I use A LOT as the basis for what we do. I just ordered The Wiggle and Giggle Busy Book am impatiently awaiting for it to arrive.

A fingerplay book is helpful. Wee Sing, Little Hands, The Complete Book of fingerplays, 1001 fingerplays, are all good.

Creating Readers by Pamela Schiller is an amazing resource for literacy. Pamela Schiller has many preschool books. I was able to find most of them at the library.

BTW, The Little Hands series has books for ABC, Math, Reading, Science, Crafts, Art, Fingerplays, etc which are all for ages 3-6.

Before Five in a Row is a WONDERFUL book and I personally wish I had seen it last year. I do plan on getting Five in a Row next year. B4FIAR is for ages 2-4.

Books for Montessori practical life are also helpful. That's pretty much the only aspect of Montessori we use but believe heavily in it.

Co-creator, Joyful Wife, and Grateful Mama to angel3.gifenergy.gifand sleepytime.gif
Old 11-04-2010, 09:58 PM

Phew........

After that big post I want to say. Children don't need preschool. They need play. I just have a DD who can't do enough crafts or projects in her mind so I accommodate her while trying to juggle that and my own belief in putting off academics. We have fun. We spend out days together.

Please check out Lillian J's site and what she has to say Best Homeschooling

Also, join us here

Pre Homeschool Chat

Co-creator, Joyful Wife, and Grateful Mama to angel3.gifenergy.gifand sleepytime.gif
Old 11-04-2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezer75 View Post
Phew........

Please check out Lillian J's site and what she has to say Best Homeschooling

I would also add get out in the world, nature, community, local city, library, museums, galleries, farmer's markets, coffee shops, start learning the world around you!

Mama, writer, partner, wanderer. Living life with my ds (7/06), married to my best friend and nemesis .
Old 11-04-2010, 11:26 PM

Every book that I've seen published by Gryphon House has been really superb. I also like Peak With Books. There's a book designed for preschool teachers called "The Survival Guide for the Preschool Teacher" that is absolutely chock full of ideas and suggestions. If you're looking for workbooks, we really like the Kumon ones.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
Old 11-04-2010, 11:29 PM

The Well Trained Mind
Old 11-05-2010, 01:58 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'd first recommend reading about how young children learn. Einstein Never Used Flashcards http://www.amazon.com/Einstein-Never...8929721&sr=8-1 is an amazing book.

If you want to save some time, though, I'll tell you the main message of the book:

1. Play, play, play
2. Read, read, read (to them.)

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

Old 11-05-2010, 03:46 AM

For you, you might enjoy You Are Your Child's First Teacher. This book landed on my lap at a perfect time while my little ones were preschool age.
http://www.amazon.com/You-Your-Child.../dp/0890879672
Old 11-05-2010, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great ideas.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I agree with Little Acorn Learning--I've used their free samples and LOVE them. Seasons of Joy, I've also used, and really liked. We order lots of seasonal books from the library and I make up my own seasonal fingerplays and seasonal songs. We take nature walks every day. I really enjoy the Parenting Passageway blog and Filth Wizardry. Ditto LillianJ's site--I've used that a lot. We also are working our way through Ambleside Year 0. We've been re-reading all the original Winnie-the-Pooh stories and Beatrix Potter stories for 2 years now and still love them. We also have the Fadiman literature anthologies and a 20th c. Children's Lit anthology that we love. Occasionally we read from a few poetry collections we have. I have yet to find any ONE or even TWO books that are complete in and of themselves. I've read Heaven on Earth and What is a Waldorf Kindergarten but I don't really think either of them are necessary. Our guiding philosophy is really "read a lot and do fun things" and I think that pretty much covers all our bases.

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
Old 11-06-2010, 05:09 PM

We're using the Winter Promise "I'm Ready To Learn" materials.

ETA: We also mix in Little Acorn Learning and Seasons of Joy, love both. My preschooler is just really excited about more academic material, probably because he has a big sis who is doing it. It is pretty easy to marry the WP curriculum in with the LAL and SoJ.

"Hey, I've got nothin' to do today but smile." - S & G
Old 11-07-2010, 05:54 AM

little acorn learning is A+++++! i'm using it for the 3rd year in a row.

a little garden flower has a nice preschool book to give you inspiration. it goes through 4 families (different family status / religion / situations) and does a little fictional walk through of their preschooling journey. called: Before the Journey

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

User Tag List