Favorite "pay" educational web sites? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 11-04-2010, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm trying to spice things up a little in our house. DD is 7.5 YO and avid reader. DS is 4.5 and WANTING to learn stuff. We're getting kind of tired of the free sites (but I'm open to more and new ones).

We've tried Time4Learning.com in the past - we cancelled it when it didn't get enough use. I'd consider trying that again if it's considered the best. Part of the reason it wasn't used was busy life at the time.

Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 11-04-2010, 02:06 PM

http://tumblebooks.com/

Tumblebooks is a website you have to pay for unless you have access to it through your library.

With our library, you can access it from home and can use the Tumblebooks website for free!

http://pl.beecavetexas.com/Scroll down to the right hand side and look for the blue Tumble Books logo

Mama to 3 amazing girls
#3 of 21 Old 11-04-2010, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My seven-year-old is really loving readingeggs.com.

I would second the idea of seeing what your library provides for free.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#4 of 21 Old 11-04-2010, 11:53 PM

onlygirls, thanks for sharing that link!

We like Brainpop. I found a site for spelling called BigIQKids.com that is kind of cool for spelling - it's a free version or you can upgrade for more features.
#5 of 21 Old 11-05-2010, 08:56 AM

we love discovery united streaming. it is free in some states (mine included), but i also think it would be worth a subscription.

we have also paid for brainpopjr.com for K-2 ...or brainpop.com is excellent too...i just didn't pay for that when we used it...it's for grades 3 & up. anyway, it was worth the money imho.

lastly, we did pay for time 4 learning for about 6 months. it's $20 month, and although i wouldn't categorize it as a comprehensive curriculum, it was a lot of fun for my daughter. they give you access to the grade you register with, plus a grade below and above (so for my daughter, she could do anything in K,1, or 2). i thought that was pretty cool. we stopped using it simply because it wasn't our main curriculum & money was tight...so i cut it out.

there are many free resources on the web too. i've listed ones i like at my blog under fav. resources. it's a bit to sift through & it's not organized in the best manner.... i made the list to help me find things...*maybe* there will be something you like too? good luck

hth.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#6 of 21 Old 11-07-2010, 12:49 AM

We like http://www.cosmeo.com/ It's $10 a month.

mom of 3 , homeschooling the oldest with google and the internet
#7 of 21 Old 11-07-2010, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

I'm very curious about cosmeo.com - can you tell me what you like about it? What age ranges does it target? Thanks!
#8 of 21 Old 11-07-2010, 01:26 AM

It's for grades K-12. They're very good at tagging things with the right grade level so you get just what you're looking for. You can search "Abraham Lincoln" for grades 3-5 and come up with several videos, games, and articles, for example. You can search by math concepts, too. If you just want to browse you can choose from six different subject headings.
They have lots of games from iknowthat.com, so we're not paying for two separate memberships. I have two kids signed up with Cosmeo and only pay the $10.

mom of 3 , homeschooling the oldest with google and the internet
#9 of 21 Old 11-07-2010, 01:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you! I think I'm going to try it!
#10 of 21 Old 11-08-2010, 08:38 AM

another fun site is www.zoodles.com

it's not as good as cosmeo (thanks for sharing that!!), but it is free. some of the games aren't that educational, but others are wonderful. either way, all of them are fun!

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#11 of 21 Old 11-08-2010, 05:53 PM

I just discovered that Tumblebooks is available for free through MilitaryOneSource. So, if you are active duty military or dependents, make sure you take advantage!
#12 of 21 Old 11-08-2010, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

I'll have to check that out. My husband is active duty. Thanks!
#13 of 21 Old 11-10-2010, 02:00 PM

Thank you all for the ideas!  We are homeschooling now (started the kids officially in August) & I'm looking ahead to the colder months thinking it might help to have some additional helps in my toolbox.

--lots of love from one busy momma of 4 & loving wife of 1--
#14 of 21 Old 11-10-2010, 02:52 PM

We also have ixl, which is a math program. While it isn't fancy, it is nice for doing assessment- Once the children have covered an area, we log onto ixl and have them do the problems there to see if they transfer learning and see what their understanding of the content was.

We love brainpopjr and use it several times a week.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#15 of 21 Old 11-11-2010, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My friend was telling me yesterday about how much she loves using the Easytech site for her children (who are 10 and 7). I think I'm going to give it a try for my older kids.

http://www.learning.com/easytech/

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#16 of 21 Old 11-11-2010, 06:05 PM

Trying the free trial of dream box. It seems good. We are only two days into it.
I want it too work,lol.
Caramel.
#17 of 21 Old 11-16-2010, 06:10 PM

Thanks for these resources ladies! I was on the verge of enrolling DD in school today and I completely forgot about online lessons! That's why you can't make decisions emotionally.... sulkoff.gif

s momsling.GIF - JW asl.gif writing geek.gif wifey to j aaman.gif  (11/03) and cd.gif  homeschool.gif  knit.gif sewmachine.gif read.gif mommy to s dreads.gif (10/04), l kewl.gif (8/08), j diaper.gif (8/09), and little s boc.gif (12/12)

#18 of 21 Old 11-22-2010, 10:53 PM

dreambox is totally awesome and worth every $$$...Just resist the urge to help, tell your kiddo to guess if he/she is totally stuck or the lessons will get to hard to quickly. Also don't let him/her leave a game unfinished for the same reason.

We also really got a lot out of headsprout.

#19 of 21 Old 11-29-2010, 07:34 PM

i see a lot of people talking about enchanted learning and kid soup websites....each is only a few dollars and full of good info

#20 of 21 Old 11-30-2010, 02:59 AM

Just fyi, there's a coupon code for Brainpop that's valid now for 20 percent off _ I used it yesterday to reduce an $80 Brainpop Jr. subscription to $64.

It is: holiday10

#21 of 21 Old 12-23-2010, 11:11 PM

I've been using the aha science unit at learning.com. It's got pretty good content but YIKES! the teacher interface is really hard to figure out. It's set up for use in the classroom and has all sorts of features that are completely useless for HSers. We'll probably stick with it as the price is a total bargain and it's meeting my needs pretty well now that I've figured out how to use it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page