LF serious carpentry mag/plans... for a 4 year old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-08-2010, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 4 year old with big plans and a former carpenter/current engineering student dh who wants to help him fulfill them. We need a book or a magazine or a blog or something with FULL plans for projects (i.e. materials list with dimensions and step by step instructions - dh can make time for the projects but not for making the plans first). And we need the projects to be more work with balsa or thin plywood so ds can actually hammer and get a nail through the wood. Any ideas?
#2 of 7 Old 11-08-2010, 12:07 PM

Check out the woodworking section at For Small Hands (also Montessori Services) here. We gifted my son several of the tools for his fourth birthday and he and my husband have done some of the projects from both books listed there. We also put an old stump out for my son to practice hammering and drilling and such which he loves. Have fun!
#3 of 7 Old 11-08-2010, 12:56 PM

I have no idea how many of these plans would be possible for a 4-year-old, but I thought I would share the link anyway.

Ana-White.com

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#4 of 7 Old 11-08-2010, 01:01 PM
AAK

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Ok, haven't found a great magazine for this. But, the first two books listed have been great! We got them from our library and really didn't want to return them. The third one is on my wish list--I think it will be really good.

But about the first two: They both have plans and projects that children really can do themselves. Depending on your child, you may or may not need to assist with some parts of it. I like having the first project be a tool box that they can put all their tools in. I know on amazon there is an updated version of at least one of them--but I haven't seen that version so I linked to the one that I have used.

http://www.amazon.com/Woodworking-Ki...9232192&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.com/Kids-Building-...ref=pd_sim_b_4

http://www.amazon.com/Handy-Dad-Awes...=15ZX6GBEW35UE

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#5 of 7 Old 11-08-2010, 08:57 PM

Two things, first 4 year olds can hammer through regular wood when they get a chance. Ds (4) helps dh build loads of stuff using our regular hammer and screw drivers. If they are going to work on projects together. Make and Instructables have some fun stuff, they aren't your birdhouse variety projects. Last spring they built his bed together.

Mama, writer, partner, wanderer. Living life with my ds (7/06), married to my best friend and nemesis .
#6 of 7 Old 11-09-2010, 03:29 AM
AAK

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey B View Post
Two things, first 4 year olds can hammer through regular wood when they get a chance. Ds (4) helps dh build loads of stuff using our regular hammer and screw drivers. If they are going to work on projects together. Make and Instructables have some fun stuff, they aren't your birdhouse variety projects. Last spring they built his bed together.
So true, but stilts, rope ladders, etc are fun too! The books are great for getting ideas. We (as kids) had free access to the scrap bin. I don't know how many "airplanes" we built. . . my kids seem to make countless coat racks (row of nails in a board for hooks). My dd did make the whistle out of one of the books.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#7 of 7 Old 11-10-2010, 11:26 AM

there are books out there for kids that have instructions for building their own houses (playhouse size), with all the blueprints etc. if i could find my copy i'd tell you the name. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page