11 year old dd wants to homeschool again.... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-11-2010, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

She was put into 1 st grade and has excelled through the 5th presently-but would like to be home more --( I am home 3 days a week and work every weekend).I am considering letting her finish the semester and pulling her out for the spring semester.

Then possibly just doing 1 semester of school for 6th grade next year -see how it goes etc.

Anyone do this for a year or 2 ?

How did it go-it seems like so much review every year -would like to spend more time with her also .

Formally known as jazmommie
Momma to 4 Indigo kids ,22,19,11 and 3
#2 of 7 Old 11-12-2010, 06:20 AM

I've known several people who have homschooled through the middle school years.  They found it a great way to spend quality time with their kids before they hit their high school years.  Their kids also got to miss a lot of the sometimes yucky middle school social scene that way.  

You might find that you like it so much you stick with it through high school though!  

#3 of 7 Old 11-14-2010, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter

We made a list of pros and cons --funny that some of them could be either one !!

(more time with little brother!)

My husband is not supportive though and we have a lot on our plates but at least the discussions have been good! We will see what she thinks after the semester is done.

#4 of 7 Old 11-14-2010, 08:34 AM

I think waiting for a natural pause is a good idea (say Xmas holidays)

Why is your DH unsupportive?

#5 of 7 Old 11-14-2010, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

He says I am not qualified #1 and kids should be with other kids #2-

I laughed out loud !!

I am an LPN -we have a computer-at home -library is close by -she likes to read and create things -writes ,etc.

She is smart and pretty self directed--If I had some kind of happy medium school here --but no--

here it is public schooling or private /religious only.

Maybe I could find a way to get her involved in some kind of extra activity -have her go to school one semester then stay home the next -or stay home one year then go the next???

That is another thread--I am sure is on Mothering somewhere ?? Unsupportive husbands--

#6 of 7 Old 11-14-2010, 05:14 PM

Well, in my opinion you are qualified.   The stats on HSing are pretty good - HSed kids score well on standardised tests, go to college and University at the same rate as public schooler, etc....and very few have parents who were teachers!  The research is easy to find, so hopefully you can lay this concern to rest pretty quickly. Honestly, what you (may) lack in expertise you will more than make up for with one-on-one attention and hand picking resources that work for her.

As per your DD needing to be with other kids - Dh is right!  Your DD does need to interact with people of all ages - but I doubt you live under a rock.  Church, classes, swim lessons, neighbourhood kids, camps - these things count.  Some people do have difficulty meeting their kids social needs through HSing but some don't - and there is only one way to find out.  

Lastly, your DD is definitely old enough to let you know if something is working or not.  Let her sit with HSing a bit and if she wants to try it, go for it.  If she tries it, and after trying it for a while does not like it, she can always go back.  

I wouldn't recommend 1/2 year HSing and half year PSing (and if you do try it - do PS first rather than transition a child into PSing half way through a year).  Trying Hs for one year and then re-assessing as a family may work.  I do think as children age they should have more say in where she goes to school.  I wouldn't want to PS or HS an older child who wasn't happy with where they were learning.

#7 of 7 Old 11-14-2010, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Kathy for your reply--

I hs"d her for K and grade 1 but did most all unschooling which felt right at the time --then because of working more and new baby and unsupportive dh we put her in grade 1 (she was small for her age and a tad behind where I thought she should be for Grade 2 ).

I am spending more time with her and trying to listen to her concerns /needs .

We will see what transpires.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page