R.E.A.L Science Odyssey - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-14-2010, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does anyone have any experience with this program?  I am looking into it for my 2nd grader.  It is looking like we might be pulling him out of public school after Christmas.  I have almost all of the curriculum chosen, but seem to be having trouble with science.  From what I have found on it, this seems to be a pretty good program, but am not entirely sold on it and would like to hear from people who have used it.  Thanks.

BFing, co-sleeping, non-vaxing mom to Noah(7) and Sully(1). Our third blessing due March 13
#2 of 13 Old 11-14-2010, 03:08 PM

This is one of two science programs we use. We like it. It's certainly easy to find the required books since they are all in print so far and cheap to buy if the library system doesn't have them.

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#3 of 13 Old 11-14-2010, 05:44 PM

We have used RSO earth & space since June or so, and I like it a lot.  It IS hands on all the way.. lots of experiments, experience with scientific process, cool lab sheets and a good list of suggested reading to go along with the various units.  I've been using it with a 3rd and 1st grader and it's fitting both of them pretty well!

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#4 of 13 Old 11-14-2010, 07:02 PM

I went to the website a couple months ago and downloaded the free sample lessons. I think it's something like 5 lessons with 18 labs. I haven't started it yet, but if you can download the first few lessons and give it try I'm sure that will give you a good taste of what it is like.

#5 of 13 Old 11-14-2010, 08:07 PM

Forgot about the 'try before you buy' thing!  Yes, I totally recommend downloading the tester version.. it is a considerable chunk of program for you to test out to see if you like the style :D  Glad someone was with the program today lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass chick View Post

I went to the website a couple months ago and downloaded the free sample lessons. I think it's something like 5 lessons with 18 labs. I haven't started it yet, but if you can download the first few lessons and give it try I'm sure that will give you a good taste of what it is like.

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#6 of 13 Old 11-15-2010, 08:45 PM

I bought all three books for my 2nd grader.  We love it.  It is very hands on and laid out like a story.  The front of the books have set out a time line (if you are so inclined, we are not - lol) and a list of materials you will need for each lesson.  I have to say having a kid extremely bent on science and a hubby who would have been a physicist had he not gone into math/comp sci., we are extremely happy with our choice.  Dh is impressed with the content and the work keeps ds invested in a subject he loves.  I like that I can understand it easily too.   

I bought this book to have more cohesion to our science lessons.  We do a lot of science but I was always worried we were missing important steps.  I like that the labs are designed to help kids think like scientists and writing is fairly minimal.  (The boy also prefers Legos to pencils.)  It is probably the best curriculum I've bought to date but that just may be the subject fit with our family.

All areas are different but the books say grades 2-5, approximately.  I can say the books are much further ahead of the curriculum in my province of Ontario. 

#7 of 13 Old 11-19-2010, 03:16 PM

I just bought the earth science one, although we haven't started using it yet.  I have read through the labs and it seems pretty basic.  (my son is a fairly immature 2nd grader and we do a lot of science, but in a more "unschooled" way).  it seems like it would be better for K-1st but we'll see how it goes, even if the labs are simple maybe they will be memorable for him since they are hands-on and there is a journal that they keep.  I like that the materials list and steps are so clearly written out.

#8 of 13 Old 11-22-2010, 08:45 PM

My husband has recently started the Chemistry one with my dd (she is almost 8). They are really enjoying it, and said it's a great fit! They do their science every weekend.

#9 of 13 Old 11-22-2010, 10:46 PM

i didn't like it myself, couldn't get past the big font they used.

#10 of 13 Old 11-23-2010, 02:50 PM

was it just the big font, or were there other things you didn't like as well? thanks!

Michelle, mama to DD (5/07) and DS (11/09)
#11 of 13 Old 11-23-2010, 03:01 PM

I didn't feel that the "experiments" taught kids about how to use the scientific method. I can't recall which volume we used but we didn't make it past the weather chapter. I'm picky though and haven't found a science program yet that has been a good fit. I think the freebie intro lessons are worth a try...

#12 of 13 Old 11-27-2010, 06:36 AM

We have Earth & Space as well as Life and I can't wait to get started on them! I held off on starting them this year, but we are hoping to start next year. It's one of the best Science curriculums I have been able to find. I love that it's SO hands on and interactive...that was the huge selling point for me. I would definitely recommend doing the 'try before you buy' and checking it out...they give you a good bit through that, so you really can get a good idea of what the program will be like!!

Gabriele familybed1.gif DS (11/05) - homeschool.gif computergeek2.gif
...it is nothing like school, and we are never at home...so why is it called homeschooling?

#13 of 13 Old 11-27-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natashaccat View Post

I didn't feel that the "experiments" taught kids about how to use the scientific method. I can't recall which volume we used but we didn't make it past the weather chapter. I'm picky though and haven't found a science program yet that has been a good fit. I think the freebie intro lessons are worth a try...

That book is the one we find driest of the three.  Of course chemistry and biology have been much more exciting for our family.  We've been skimming a lot on Earth & Space, not because the material is bad but because it is easy to learn without doing much in the way of experiments.  Ds is a big science junkie and found that particular book too easy.  My younger dd (newly 5) is getting good things from it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page