Winter Kindergarten Thread! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 49 Old 01-09-2011, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We don't use a formal handwriting program. Would he write for other reasons? Like a card for Grandma or making up a story?

So, we started American History last week and it's a HIT!! We are making a tepee village and have 4 out of 8 tepees completed. We are going to use this village to act out Indian life including a hacy-sack type game that we will make from another kit I bought.

#32 of 49 Old 01-09-2011, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

We're getting ready to start back to classes - hopefully tomorrow but more likely Tuesday as we've got a Dr. Appointment tomorrow morning and family issues in the afternoon.

I've got everything ready and copied, just need to finish cleaning up our school space for dd to work. She is excited - 4 days a week we do school-work and on Wednesdays we do Girl Scout projects. We'll be selling cookies next month at booths, and next week we're studying money/change in math so it dovetails nicely.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#33 of 49 Old 01-11-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgianforti View Post

We don't use a formal handwriting program. Would he write for other reasons? Like a card for Grandma or making up a story?

Thank you for the thought :) I switched him to copying a sentence (he could make it up, and I'd write it, and then he copied it) and drawing a pic to go with.  It was fabulous.  I think he's just bored with ETC so I'm shelving it for now.

WAHMama to Allen (2-10-05) and Alexa (6-27-08)
#34 of 49 Old 01-11-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:

Thank you for the thought :) I switched him to copying a sentence (he could make it up, and I'd write it, and then he copied it) and drawing a pic to go with.  It was fabulous.  I think he's just bored with ETC so I'm shelving it for now.

Ds found the ETC workbooks as a whole to be a bit on the overwhelming side.  We ended up switching to ETC Online (discounted subscription via Homeschool Buyer's Co-op) which helped with the phonics aspect.  Ds was super interested in learning to write so we've gone through both the Pre-K and Kindergarten HWOT.  I struggled a bit with what to do next and ended up buying a journal.  It's from Mead, has a space at the top to draw a picture in and then the lines below.  We're making our own book to match the verses in "LMNOP and All the Letters A to Z."  We have the CD, but not the book and Ds LOVES the verses.  I figured we'd make our own book.  He's getting a kick out of it and I figured it would be good, low-key practice in addition to the spontaneous writing he does on his own.

#35 of 49 Old 01-12-2011, 07:13 AM

Jumping in here if that's okay.

We started kindergarten this year, dd1 turned 5 in December. She's been reading for about 2 years now so I had no plans for that other than take turns reading chapters from some kids classics like Stuart Little, Charlotte's Web etc. Although I patched together a curriculum for the other subjects we are really loose about working through it. Sometimes we do several lessons in a day and other times (like Christmas) we go a couple of weeks without doing anything visibly schooly.

That said, she finished Rightstart Alpha the other day. So we're just going to continue doing math games when she wants to keep it fresh. Still doing my version of History Odyssey Ancients and Foundations of Scientific Understanding. She's in bowling and we do art whenever. Other than that she's just working on completing the last third of the Brain Quest Grade 1 workbook which helps her to practice her printing.

Anybody getting excited about next year? I already have a list going for what I want to acquire. We're going to get Rightstart Beta, Brain Quest Grade 2 and just do a rehash of the history and science stuff using different books, materials etc.

#36 of 49 Old 01-12-2011, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

We had our first official curriculum flop: BJU Math! My big girl missed the challenge of Singapore so we are going to resume 1b.

And yes, I'm excited about next year and have everything *planned* out: pretty much continuing with what we are doing now - move into Singapore 2a and Horizons 3, Noeo Chemistry (starting next month), Sonlight materials for American History, BJU Spelling, ETC and other various readers we have, starting BJU Bible 1. I don't use formal handwriting curriculum.

The other day my big girl worked on crafts and projects for one hour and 15 minutes...I was all "crafted" out.

#37 of 49 Old 01-13-2011, 05:37 AM

Welcome limette :) How are you finding BFSU? Mine should be arriving mid-Feb (slow shipping to Aus). I have a DD who loves science so I'm really looking forward to it arriving.

Kgianforti - I'm glad you decided to give up BJU math. I read your blog & it really sounded like it didn't work for her.

We've actually picked up Singapore 1B again in the last week. DD was out of her workbook loving phase for quite a while so we were only doing Miquon whenever she felt like it. It's nice to be doing SIngapore again, I actually really like it. Now I'm wondering though if I should skip her ahead/accelerate her through Miquon a bit as what she was working on seems so much simpler than what she is capable of in the Singapore format. Not sure though, Miquon is so "different" it seems like it might be important to do all of it.

DD started piano between Christmas and New Year and has really wowed me in the last week with her progress and interest.

Grateful mama striving to respect the two precious beings entrusted to me DD '06 and DS '09
#38 of 49 Old 01-13-2011, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmama2 View Post

Welcome limette :) How are you finding BFSU? Mine should be arriving mid-Feb (slow shipping to Aus). I have a DD who loves science so I'm really looking forward to it arriving.

Kgianforti - I'm glad you decided to give up BJU math. I read your blog & it really sounded like it didn't work for her.

It's good. My only complaint is that it seems to be written to classroom teachers and some of the activities we can't really do because we don't have a bunch of other kids around. I think once we're done with it I'm going to order Science Odyssey.
#39 of 49 Old 01-13-2011, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmama2 View Post

Haha! Thanks...I'm such a dummy! Oh well, lesson learned, right?? We are just working in Horizons until the 1b materials arrive (I sold the textbook and IP book) and still have the workbook.

#40 of 49 Old 01-19-2011, 09:32 AM

DD is blowing through her HWOT workbook, we got her the Pre-K one since OM just starts introducing capital letters in K, she is a few pages away from being done and she only picked up this book and started doing anything with it at the beginning of the week!! She is requesting more workbooks now, and I don't want to get her the HWOT K workbook which introduces lowercase letters until next year, so would someone recommend another good handwriting workbook for me?

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnamaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcrochetsmilie.gifblahblah.gifenergy.gifgoorganic.jpggd.gifteapot2.GIFbftoddler.giffamilybed2.gif

#41 of 49 Old 01-19-2011, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

We're still working away - dd is going through a phase of refusing to write at all right now which is very frustrating. She will trace letters sloppily, which is what I'm settling for right now. Math she's thrilled with, and reading is going by leaps and bounds. She's 2 readers away from finishing all her K readers, so I've been trying to give her more reading practice. Right now we're working our way through the Little Bear stories and so far she's only need few words. I guess we'll go ahead and start on the first grade readers as well - she could probably read them now without help.

We're working on Daisy Girl Scout stuff every week - right now she's working on the Welcome to the Daisy Flower Garden program and growing carrots from seed as a part of that.

I'm working on getting the last of the materials we'll be needing for 1st grade next year and putting our lesson plans into my format.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#42 of 49 Old 01-21-2011, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

We completed our tepee village and will begin learning and acting out Indian life using our little village. American History is a hit!

I'm still waiting for our Singapore 1b (HIG and textbook, I already have the workbook) materials to arrive! So we've been using the Challenging Word Problem book and my big girl has declared her undying love for it. I'm never allowed to throw it out no matter how old she gets! LOL!

Our Astronomy study is moving along. I'm going to purchase the solar system foam ball craft kit from Wal Mart because she wants to make a mobile. I figured we could learn about a planet while painting a craft ball. I am going to order Noeo Chemistry I soon as well.

My big girl has one more book to read before reaching her Pizza Hut BOOK IT goal.

And we started back through the New Testament Bible stories.

#43 of 49 Old 01-23-2011, 08:32 PM

kgianforti, where did you get the tipi kit? I think my girl would love that!

We've been homeschooling/unschooling for a few months now and things are finally coming together, as far as establishing a (loose) routine, balancing DD2's needs/demands with the time I need to spend 1-on-1 with DD1. DD1 just turned 6, DD2 is no quite 4, so I'm  kind of doing kindergarten with both of them right now.

We do a journal page every morning after breakfast. They both have their own unlined, over-sized notebooks and drawing/writing supplies. They choose a picture to draw and I help them write a couple of sentences about it. Sometimes I give DD1 a topic so I can tailor her sentences towards recalling things we learned the day before. Other times they choose their own subject to journal about. DD1 does the calendar every morning. She fills in our activities and appointments for the week, counts down the days to whatever she's excited about, and whatever else comes up.

I just started doing a weekly topic, too. Last week we studied the rainforest, but mostly focused on Chico Mendes, who is her hero. I thought that would be a good one to start with. This week we are going to learn about some local birds. We're going tomorrow to a bird observatory at the nature preserve here and I thought we'd choose three birds to learn about their nesting and feeding habits, make bird feeders with their favorite seeds, stuff like that.

I'm still unsure about how much of a curriculum I want to follow. I think tonight I'm going to order Singapore Math, partly to give me a better idea of where she's at with those skills, and also to give us a little more focus in that department. I feel like reading and writing come up naturally throughout the day but I want to make sure she's being challenged in other ways as well. So far she loves "homework"--any activity I give her, pretty much. She loves to pretend to be her older cousin. He hates homework, so she pretends to moan and groan and then "resigns" herself to sitting down to the homework. I have to be his step mom or his teacher and "force" her to do her school work. lol! Whatever works is fine, and I want to take advantage of and encourage her enthusiasm for schoolwork.

I love reading what everyone else is doing. Keep posting!

Home birthing, extended bf, homeschooling, vegan lifestyle-living massage therapist mama to Grrl 1 (12/11/04), Grrl 2 (2/15/07), Grrl 3 (6/23/11), and ?! (10/14). Backpacking, kayaking, shoestring traveling adrenaline junky--I love talking all night around the campfire and drinking great craft beer!
treehugger.gif
#44 of 49 Old 01-24-2011, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

I found the tepee kit at Rainbow Resource: tepee kit.

It's cute, nothing super duper fancy but it worked. We acted out different activities that would go on in an Indian Village using our tepees.

Did you use a placement test before ordering Singapore Math? It tends to run ahead of the "grade" listed on the cover.

#45 of 49 Old 02-02-2011, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

BUMP!!!

#46 of 49 Old 02-02-2011, 07:42 PM

I'm homeschooling my twin boys for kindergarten this year.  This week we've learned how to make paper snowflakes and cut hearts, raced toy cars and timed them, ranking the times, measured items using unifix cubes, centimeter cubes, and a tape measure, wrote simple addition problems using dice,  worked on letter and number formation, painted, finished up a unit in the phonics readers on short vowels.  We've also played a ton of UNO, went to the library, played in the snow and skated on the patio (thanks, ice storm).

There is no theme, just the work we do each day. If I were more organized, I suppose there'd be a theme. 

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#47 of 49 Old 02-11-2011, 05:05 AM - Thread Starter

Noeo Chemistry I came via UPS this past week! We will begin on 2/21!! It looks really fun and exciting!

My big girl has been making heart collages.....lots of heart collages. They are very cute!

We've been plugging away in everything. About to complete Sonlight Science K next week. We restarted Singapore 1b and are zipping through it. My big girl is very happy to be back on the SM bandwagon.

Today, we are going to put together our Solar System model. I bought a foam craft ball Solar System kit from Wal Mart and we've been painting each planet as we have been learning about it. Except Pluto, my big girl decided to turn Pluto into our moon and we'll attach it to the Earth. We also have read alouds and probably more heart collages. That's about it!

My small girl has started using scissors. I need to get another pair for her now!

#48 of 49 Old 02-11-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgianforti View Post

Noeo Chemistry I came via UPS this past week! We will begin on 2/21!! It looks really fun and exciting!

Today, we are going to put together our Solar System model. I bought a foam craft ball Solar System kit from Wal Mart and we've been painting each planet as we have been learning about it. Except Pluto, my big girl decided to turn Pluto into our moon and we'll attach it to the Earth. We also have read alouds and probably more heart collages. That's about it!

Let us know how the Noeo chem goes.  Is it a lot of experimentation?  My DS loves that, except that frankly, I'm not always up for it all the time.

Funny about Pluto turning into the moon...we had a similar thing happen (I think) with a set of solar system stickers we put on his wall.  I setup a small grayish looking thing as our moon, but later realized it could have been Pluto.  But that gave us a chance to discuss whether he thought it was the moon or Pluto and more details about those.

As for us, today DS wanted to start doing piano again, and he just jumped right in and was doing quite well :)  It's been months of no activity at all with the piano.

We also got HWT yesterday and I really have to hold him back from doing too much of it at once.  I was surprised that he loves to write so much :)

We also got a few Explode the Code books.  I wasn't going to get any phonics, being that he's such a good reader already.  However, I was reading something about children possibly hitting a slump later on if they miss some key advanced phonics details.  He seems to like the book we started on so far.

Kim mama to DS 12/2005, Pepper kitty , and 10/03, 1/05;
#49 of 49 Old 02-13-2011, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Noeo Chemistry I includes 5 or 6 of the Young Scientist Kits and incorporates them into lessons. There are also experiments using every day household items. It includes pre-made reproducible notebooking pages for "class" and for "labs". I'm going to begin copying some and putting them into a binder. There are also a BUNCH of books. And a molecular model set (which dd is VERY excited about! LOL).

I am very happy about this program from just looking through it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimPM View Post

Let us know how the Noeo chem goes.  Is it a lot of experimentation?  My DS loves that, except that frankly, I'm not always up for it all the time.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page