DD10 "hates" Singapore math... Math-u-see?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-25-2010, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD10 complained a lot about Singapore Math.  She did both 2B & 3A.  I end up getting her some kumon workbooks and she likes them okay.  I'm thinking about getting Math-U-See.  Yay or Nay?  Or other suggestions?  

#2 of 4 Old 12-25-2010, 04:30 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

Any idea what didn't turn her crank about Singapore Math? What sort of a learner is she? Does she have any particular struggles or challenges in her math learning? Does she make use of manipulatives, and/or gravitate to hands-on style learning? What are her learning strengths?

What you posted is a little like saying "Dd doesn't like olives. Do you think she'd like hard-boiled eggs?" There's really no way to predict what "flavour" of math program she'll do well with without more information. Math-U-See is a strong well-regarded program and works well when it fits the child and the family. (So does Singapore Primary Math, of course. It's all about fit.)

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#3 of 4 Old 12-28-2010, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Well, she had a hard time understanding the questions in Singapore math.  She doesn't like how the book explains the concepts.  She doesn't understand why she "has" to do 99 + 4 as 100-1 + 4 (I explained to her of course, but...).  She likes manipulatives.  She likes stories. We tried Story of Fred (or something like that) but she got frustrated when she got to the bridge part.  I think she needs more hand holding than I'm giving her! She loves to read, write short stories or even reports on her own.  But she doesn't do math on her own.  My conclusion?  she needs more handholding and understanding from me.  I can stop looking for a "more suitable" curriculum. Thanks for asking why she hates singapore math and helping me see what she really needs.

#4 of 4 Old 12-29-2010, 11:08 AM
AAK

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Well for hand holding--you might think about math mammoth worksheets.  Many are free on her website.  But, even if you spend money on them, they are fairly inexpensive.  You can just get worksheets (without instruction) if you want.  That way, you can teach her based on her needs, but not have to make up tons of practice problems for her.  

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page