Who did you use for kindergarten homeschool curriculum and how did you like it? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 12-27-2010, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just looking for a basic starting point as I begin my plans for next fall.  Thanks.

#2 of 30 Old 12-27-2010, 12:14 PM

I'm still figuring out what I'll be doing with DS1 next year but I think it depends on what you personally like. I like Mason's and WTM's approach to education which helps me focus on what to do the first year and onwards. As I haven't done it yet I can't say how it will work for us.

Also you can find out what your kindergartner is expected to know through the state and be sure to cover that. I find that it really isn't that much a lot of reading readiness, numbers to 30 etc.

#3 of 30 Old 12-27-2010, 12:26 PM

We are doing K with my DS (4) this year and we are mainly focusing on the 3 R's.  He is reading fluently, but we use "Explode the Code" for phonics just to be sure he has all of his phonics rules down.  For math we are using Saxon and LOVE it!  It is very play/manipulative based and he actually asks me to do extra math.  For handwriting, he likes to draw pictures for different family members and will write their names as well as his own on his artwork.  Occasionally he will ask me to do a page in his Handwriting Without Tears book, plus he gets practice writing in his Explode the Code book.  We also do a lot of crafts and are part of a weekly homeschool co-op which covers Social Studies in a fun way.  

Mainly we just play and we will do "schooly-type" things when he asks for them.  

Hope this helps!

SAH, homeschooling mama to DS (1/06) and DD (3/07)
#4 of 30 Old 12-27-2010, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

We like the Kumon workbooks. Other than that I just read to my kids a lot, let them play, do arts & crafts, and have them work alongside me in the house. Oh, and the Bob Books for beginning phonics practice.

#5 of 30 Old 12-27-2010, 04:37 PM

I didn't really do anything with my boy when he was 5-6yo.  Just lived life.  He was there with cooking, gardening, harvesting and hitting the u-pick farms with the rest of us.  Could he count to 50 or identify all the US coins in circulation?  Not so much. 

But he could identify carrots and tomato plants and grapes and help (heh, when he was in the mood) pick strawberries and raspberries and whatever else.  He could be sent down to the pantry to get whatever ingredient(s) I needed for a recipe, provided they were within reach.  He started learning how to put away dishes, set the table, fold his clothes, pick up all the toys at night before bed, help daddy unload firewood from the truck, you name it.  We read books, helped him spell things out when he wanted to do letters or cards, have lots of imaginative/open play toys around the house, etc. 
We didn't officially start any kind of curriculum until he was almost 7yo, and then it was/is Sonlight K and a few other things.  Which he's totally grooving on.

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#6 of 30 Old 12-27-2010, 04:43 PM

We started with Calvert and liked it for 2-3 months. But it was sooooo boring and so much of it didn't pertain to our lives. It had schoolish stuff like what to do in case of a fire at night that's simply not relevent to our lives. (Mom and Dad are next to you!) And we found the math tried too hard to be "fun" and was not where we were at. The kids liked gluing things to the math page but they were so far beyond recognizing this is the number one that they were bored.

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#7 of 30 Old 12-27-2010, 05:16 PM

Sonlight with my oldest, and when my second girl was in K we did k12.  My 4yo dd is in "junior K" now and she's doing Sonlight like my oldest girl did.  Next fall, I have no clue what she'll do.  We considered enrolling her in the k12 school that my oldest were in last school year so that I am forced to get into a daily schooling routine, but then it was a LOT of work so I'm not really sure if I want to do that.  I may e-mail dd2's former K teacher and find out what all the changes are to the K program from when dd2 was in it and get her opinion on if the changes are worthwhile for us to consider it as a viable option for dd3 this upcoming fall.

But I really REALLY like Sonlight....... lol  We started it when my oldest was in pre-k at 4yo, and now she's in 2nd grade (the year we did k12 we added in Sonlight as a supplement).

Cat- FT ministry student and Sonlight hsing momma to a wild crew of girls
Melissa 4/03, Lydia 5/04, Kimberly 1/06, and Jordan 9/07

And waiting impatiently on baby Isaiah ******* to appear around 3/12

#8 of 30 Old 12-27-2010, 11:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

We're using Catholic Heritage Curricula K and like it pretty well. I did supplement with a lot of Leapfrog DVD's and such which really helped DD with phonics and math.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#9 of 30 Old 12-28-2010, 08:08 AM

with my daughter in K:

http://www.freewebs.com/mytwomonkeys/20072008schedule.htm (sorry...easier to link, as it was my first year and used more than necessary)

with my son in K:

Math - We started the year with Making Math Meaningful Level K & switched at Christmas time to Making Math Meaningful Grade 1

Phonics/Reading - Hooked on Phonics Level K rotated with Explode the Code Book 1. 

Handwriting - Handwriting without Tears Level K & simple copywork

All other subject were interest-led.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#10 of 30 Old 12-28-2010, 01:48 PM

DD is almost 4 and we're slowly starting with Horizons K math and now adding Sonlight K to the mix.  We're enjoying the read a loud books - it's great that we can feed her knowledge without her developing reading skills being a hindrance or a stressor.  I was unsure which Sonlight core to start with so we tried a couple books from the reading lists for PK, K and even core 1.  If nothing else the Sonlight cores have great reading lists.

Amy - mama to dd 2/2007 and ds who arrived 2/2010 my VBAC
                  Comfy Cozy Diapers
Newborn Rentals, Military Discount, Free Layaway

14 Day Guarantee - Return diapers if you don't like them

Follow us on Facebook & Twitter

#11 of 30 Old 12-30-2010, 07:40 PM

This year with my five year old, we're using the Rod & Staff A-B-C workbooks. We play a lot of board games with him. Lately, his favorite is checkers (he makes us play it several times a day).

He also goes to the local school twice a week for speech.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#12 of 30 Old 12-30-2010, 10:25 PM

Oak meadow k for us as a spine with sonlights p3-p4 & p4-p5 secular book list. I also draw from a little garden flower and
http://www.christopherus planing on adding hooked on phonics k level 1 this summer

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#13 of 30 Old 12-31-2010, 12:55 AM

Ouronly curricula for K were Singapore EB andd Reading Eggs. Both of those we only did when DD wanted to.

Grateful mama striving to respect the two precious beings entrusted to me DD '06 and DS '09
#14 of 30 Old 01-03-2011, 10:09 AM

For DS1, the two main things we did were Click-n-Read Phonics (took about a month for him to learn to read) and Right Start Level A (3 lessons per week most of the time, but plenty of downtime.)  We did a bit of Handwriting without Tears Kindy level--but at the time, he wasn't into writing, so we let it slide.  The following year, he wanted to learn to write--and now writes beautifully.  

We read lots of books and played a lot.  Had some inspiration from the Christopherus Kindy book and some inspiration from Sonlight's book list.  I actually ordered the instruction guide, but never used it.

I loved Right Start.  It was perfect for us--especially as there is not a lot of writing in Level A.  I loved the variety of the manipulatives too..

Click-n-Read DS1 liked.  Now, DS2 loves computer games, but does not like it.  So for him, we're doing more phonics readers.

HWT was very good, but in retrospect, I didn't need to buy all of the wooden pieces, etc.  The teacher's guide and workbook would have been enough.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#15 of 30 Old 01-03-2011, 11:28 AM

For kindergarten we use 100 Easy Lessons and Making Math Meaningful Level 1. That is all. We read and play and might do a unit study if they show an interest in a specific topic.

Caefi
#16 of 30 Old 01-07-2011, 10:02 AM

We are very laid back in K.  I make up some lesson plans using www.lessonpathways.com and she does a lot of exploring on her own with www.brainpopjr.com, www.starfall.com, pbskids, shepparsoftware and www.learningplanet.com with a few others occasionally.  The rest is just answering questions, playing, etc.  We do a bit of handwriting if she feels like it. I like Italic

Leigh

#17 of 30 Old 01-07-2011, 03:37 PM

We used Enki and enjoyed it!

Nicole, mama to a seven year old wonder and a three year old joy and caretaker to 3 kitties and 9 hens. 

#18 of 30 Old 01-08-2011, 12:39 PM

My child was actually in a school for kindergarten - but the curriculum there consisted of mostly imaginative free play both inside and out, listening to stories, some simple singing and nature crafts, simple cooking, and so forth (it was a half day Waldorf kindergarten). When I transferred him to a more traditional little private school for 1st grade, I just needed to introduce him to letters and beginning reading enough to get him started reading 3 letter words by the end of summer before school started. He was almost 7 by that time, so it went very quickly and easily.   ; )     Lillian

#19 of 30 Old 01-08-2011, 01:00 PM

I will be starting dd in her kindy year this fall and plan on using Little Acorn Learning's monthly e-books and Enki fairy tales and stories  (we're Waldorf, so no academics until grade 1).

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
#20 of 30 Old 07-27-2012, 08:56 AM

Hi, I've just signed up for the k12 online homeschool for my DS who just turned 5.  I'm a little worried the curriculum may be too much for him, and not play based enough.  Does anyone know if they are going to be hard to work with as far as not pushing him to do worksheets and stuff like that?

Michelle : wife to awesome DH Aaron : since (04/02), mom to DS Michael (07/07) and bio-mom to Ember (07/84), : , TANSTAAFL
#21 of 30 Old 07-27-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadheadmomma View Post

Hi, I've just signed up for the k12 online homeschool for my DS who just turned 5.  I'm a little worried the curriculum may be too much for him, and not play based enough.  Does anyone know if they are going to be hard to work with as far as not pushing him to do worksheets and stuff like that?

I'm not familiar with what they do for kindergarten, but I'd sure be surprised if they mostly gave suggestions for play based activities. And a little boy just turning 5 is going to be awfully young, IMOHO, for much else. My own would have been horrified by any sort of reading or writing demands at that age. It was pushing his limits just to make stabs at drawing things of his choosing with a crayon - and I wouldn't have asked him to do even that, but he was in a Waldorf kindergarten at the time and they had a short time when they sat around the table and drew whatever they wanted. If they do push anything, I'd urge you to just follow your gut instincts and get out of the program before your son has to absorb any stress or loss of self esteem from it. You might want to read through some of the articles I've linked to in this (noncommercial) preschool/kindergarten page - there are some pretty passionate words of encouragement from professional educators, teachers, and homeschoolers to just support children of that age in playing and learning in a natural way. All the best - I hope you and he have a wonderful year together!   - Lillian

onyxravnos and deadheadmomma like this.
#22 of 30 Old 07-27-2012, 09:15 PM

notes.gif

toddler.giffamilybed1.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF  waterbirth.jpg. Can't wait to homeschool.gif.

gd.gifsigncirc1.gifwhale.gif
#23 of 30 Old 07-28-2012, 10:03 PM

We did Ambleside Online Year 0 with math and phonics thrown in.....lots of read alouds, outside time, play, field trips...loved it

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#24 of 30 Old 08-01-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umsami View Post

. HWT was very good, but in retrospect, I didn't need to buy all of the wooden pieces, etc.  The teacher's guide and workbook would have been enough.

There is a template in the teacher's guide, probably for cutting your own wood pieces out of craft wood, but I just used heavy duty cardboard. They lasted long enough for our use!

Lovin' my four-pack: M, S, a different M, and sleepytime.gif me.

#25 of 30 Old 08-01-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile7393 View Post

We did Ambleside Online Year 0 with math and phonics thrown in.....lots of read alouds, outside time, play, field trips...loved it

Same here. I was leaning toward WTM about this time last year when I discovered AO, and I couldn't be happier with AO's younger years curriculum. For Year 0 we read a lot, played more, spent hours outside, and went on field trips organized by the assorted local h.s. groups if we found any of interest. For math we used Singapore EB, which seemed the right pace for DD (we still have some material in the second book to maybe get through before starting Year 1 soon) and for reading a combination of Bob Books and Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons, which we'll continue working through. DD whizzed through HWT, which was a fun program. We didn't get any of the HWT bells and whistles and I can't see that it mattered. Most of the time DD spent working on her pencil grasp came via drawing or writing lists or thank you cards--real world experience as it were. This may sound like a lot but we didn't spend more than fifteen minutes on any of these "lessons" and they were scattered throughout the day--on days when DD wanted to "do school," that is.

Lovin' my four-pack: M, S, a different M, and sleepytime.gif me.

#26 of 30 Old 08-02-2012, 12:39 AM

We are attending school through Quilcene's ALE program.  So, we're homeschooling with a public school back-up.  I'll check in and write up what we're doing and have a teacher for help and evaluations.  I also get a set amount to spend on curricula and use their library of curricula they already have.

DS is 5.5 and really wants to go to school.  DH is much happier with a more structured program and I'm happy with the personal accountability (otherwise I tend to slack)

Anyway, I just finished my SLP, student learning plan.  We'll be doing Explode the Code for reading along with online sites for 'games'.  We'll be doing Math U See for math.  Starting with the primer and maybe moving up to alpha depending on where he is.  He's signed up for 10/hrs a week, which is broken down to about 2 for music (he already has piano lessons) 4 for Language Arts and 4 for Math.  This is totally doable in my world.  A worksheet or two here and there, reading books, writing letters, helping with shopping and baking etc...

I can modify his SLP if needed and add or change my curricula. 

Has anyone ever used Readers Choice Ink?  It looks interesting, but DS isn't fluent in his writing and a bit resistant to learning to read. So, I'm not sure if this would work for us now or if it is something I should just keep on the back burner.

We did about 80 lessons in the Teach Your Child...100 Easy...  after that is was nearly impossible to get him to do any of the lessons.  So, i figured what's the point.  I want him to love reading, not dread it.

#27 of 30 Old 08-08-2012, 01:29 PM

Last year for Kindy I did Sonlights Prek4/5. It was a bit boring for us, though we loved the read alouds. There just wasnt enough hands on for us, and I have super bad ADHD and I get really overwhelmed trying to add that stuff in, though a lot of people are good at it.

This year, DS2 wants to start Kindy, so I ordered him My Father's World K and HWOT preschool (he begs to do the handwriting books). I also got him Singapore's EB because it looked like fun. Try as I might that kid just loves worksheets. 

It was a big toss up for me to do MFW or Memoria Press. They both looked so wonderful. I bet when DS3 wants to start Kindy I'll end up buying MP, and just having 3 K curricula's! I really need to sell what I'm not using I guess haha!

#28 of 30 Old 08-13-2012, 02:46 PM

Aimee- we did MFW K last year for DD.  It is a great program that we are going to keep using with my boys.  DD did get bored with it though so by Feb we were in first grade- again MFW.  I don't think DS1 will move at as fast of a pace though.I love it- but the pace was way too slow for DD...  MFW 1st is so awesome though- we love it!

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#29 of 30 Old 08-23-2012, 10:29 PM

With one born in August and one born in late Sept, my sons have always been on the "young" side for their "grades".  I know at 5, my sons were not ready for a lot of writing or sit-down work.  They both technically started kinder when they were 4.  They were young, but they were ready.  We did Explode the Code, Horizons Math, and Five in a Row.  Loved it!  We could work on Explode the Code and Horizons written work by "writing" in corn meal or shaving cream on a cookie sheet.  My boys loved doing that.  Heck, they still do, lol.

#30 of 30 Old 08-24-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post

Aimee- we did MFW K last year for DD.  It is a great program that we are going to keep using with my boys.  DD did get bored with it though so by Feb we were in first grade- again MFW.  I don't think DS1 will move at as fast of a pace though.I love it- but the pace was way too slow for DD...  MFW 1st is so awesome though- we love it!

Oh that's so good to know! Thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page