A thread for young learners? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-28-2010, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm usually a WOHM, but have been laid off, and been spending some QT with my almost 3 year old (she'll be three at the end of Feb). She really is a pretty bright little girl (not that I didn't know that before, it's just since I'm spending more time with her, I'm feeling like I need to do more for her), and just soaks up everything she learns, and does so pretty well. She can already use both a regular and a trackball mouse, loves for me to write words so she can see the letters, knows many capital letters, counts pretty well, etc. Just a kid who loves to learn.

All in all, we're a public school sort of family, but since I've got this time, I figure I should maybe do a little more something directed with her, but not sure what to do, or where to start. I reckon letters fascinate her, she's starting to wonder what words spell and what letters spell those words.

I'm just basically looking for ideas for the younger learner. Not to push her, but because she is really interested in that. Also, something sort of structured, or else I will find it difficult to do. And also, since I spend a fair amount of time job hunting, I feel I need to offset the time she spends bag.gif watching tv while I job hunt.

signature currently in transition
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 12-28-2010, 08:51 AM

I would introduce her to starfall.com. I would also hit the library and get a stack of books to read aloud.

PS. I don't think having her watch some TV while you JOB HUNT is a terrible thing.

#3 of 6 Old 12-28-2010, 09:00 AM

have you seen this thread:

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1258871/pre-homeschool-fall-north-america-spring-on-going-chat

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#4 of 6 Old 12-28-2010, 09:54 AM

at age 3, we loved picture bingo, board games, simple card games (like match, old maid), lots of puzzles, books books books, arts & crafts, education videos, computer games, library story time, and lots of field trips.  my daughter also loved workbooks from  the dollar store (find which one is different, finish the pattern)...my son hated those though, lol.  hth.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#5 of 6 Old 12-28-2010, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

I can't seem to figure out the multireply, so, I want to thank you all for the suggestions, I'm getting right to them!

signature currently in transition
#6 of 6 Old 12-29-2010, 07:50 PM

I strongly recomed littleacornlearning.com not quite what you asked for but from their weekly themes you can add more to it. They have two sample weeks on their site.

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page