Winter/Summer Pre-Homeschooling Chat - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 94 Old 12-29-2010, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Time for a new thread! How ya doing?

Between the holidays and illness, we need to focus on refinding our rhythm more than anything else. My daughter needs a lot of support in keeping regular sleeping patterns, and her behavior deteriorates dramatically when we don't hold consistent sleeping times. She definitely needs more time outside. Before the kids got sick right before the holidays, we had regular outside time and then a dedicated project time during one of the baby's naps. Until we find a new rhythm, I just don't have the space carved out to work with her one-on-one. Such is the life of an older sis.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#2 of 94 Old 12-29-2010, 07:11 AM

I am here!!!

Plans:

reading the VBible outloud -- Big Brother got -- The Superhero Bible http://www.amazon.com/Super-Heroes-Bible-Jean-Syswerda/dp/031070202X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293635163&sr=8-1 for Christmas.  it is supposed to be on a 3rd grade reading level; it is the NIrV translation, so i am hoping he can follow it a bit more.

Quote:

The NIrV is an easy-to-read version of the New International Version written at the third grade level

Quote:

Little Brother, for speech, will be going to classroom 4 hours a week -- so since Big Brother only goes one of the 2 days Little will be going -- Big and I are going to have, for the first time ever, 2 hours a week alone to work on school stuff -- since he is 5 now and trying to sound out words on his ow n i feel he is ready for a little more structure -- if not we'll just bvack off.

third -- i need to structure our day better -- but i am not there yet ...

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#3 of 94 Old 12-29-2010, 07:16 AM

We're at an odd point right now. We're not starting kindergarten, ds is 4.5, and he's starting to want to know things and do 'learning stuff'. So I'm taking the month of January to organize my resources and thoughts. We've started a set of science bins, art bins and other interests bins that ds can take out and explore. We're still in the middle of visiting family so Co-op and open gym have been put on hold for another week. I very ready to get back to our weekly rhythm that seems to have been missing since Thanksgiving.

What exciting things does everyone have planned for the winter/summer?

Mama, writer, partner, wanderer. Living life with my ds (7/06), married to my best friend and nemesis .
#4 of 94 Old 12-29-2010, 06:14 PM

My oldest is still just 2.5 so we're not doing much, but we've been trying to do some more structured activites once or twice a week and I've been trying to find more time for painting and such (which she loves to do so much).  We've gotten some really fun ideas off of blogs like chasingcheerios.blogspot.com

Do you all have any good ideas for the best way to begin teaching numerals?  She can count well, but can't remember what '1,2,3' etc. symbolize.  I try to point them out in everyday life and if she asks me to draw three cats, then I'll write "3 cats"  at the top of the page and talk about how that's the #3 and we have three cats in the drawing.  Stuff like that.  I've found some good ideas for games to practice numeral recognition, but they sort of require that she have an idea about it at first.  I'm not planning on forcing the topic, but I would like some more ideas on how to gradually and casually present the numerals without overwhelming her.

student momma to two great girls

#5 of 94 Old 12-30-2010, 09:13 AM

Right now we are in a big transition period over here. DS (eeks, can't believe Im going to have to start typing that!) is due in the beginning of February and we move in April back to the states joy.gif so we aren't doing much. DD1 is super excited about the new baby and keeps asking when hes coming. I got a set of waldrof doll kits that Im making for the girls for when the baby comes home. They are also helping me with a bunch of baby prep stuff which is really exciting for them. Right now we are on the hunt for the "perfect" baby coming home outfit and trying to get everyone to agree is harder than it sounds.

Other than that Im just really packed with stuff to do for the move. Im starting to work on packing lists, classes we have to take, scheduling appointments, etc Im trying to let the girls help with as much as possible in making the decisions (what to pack, what to take with us etc) but at almost 4 and 2 they don't quite understand.

revolting- Ive been sneaking in one on one time by doing small errands with DD1. She needs some mommy time (she keeps asking for it) but its hard to find the time so we have started doing 20-30 minute errands together so she can have my undivided attention for a bit. DH also will run errands with her so I can spend some one on one time with DD2.I don't know what we will do when we have the 3rd but Im going to try to rotate through spending one on one time with each one even if its just a 10 minute walk or taking them to the post office with me.

mrsfrenchy, my girls have learned a lot of numbers by baking, reading page number, helping at the grocery store etc. Ive gotten a lot more relaxed than I was at trying to teach them things. For example I was trying to teach my oldest numbers starting at like 18 months becuase I thought I "needed" too, my youngest I never tried. Shes picked them up just from DD1 and I talking and me pointing things out when we walk/go to the store/read etc.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#6 of 94 Old 12-30-2010, 05:16 PM

Hi!

We're about to transition, too, as tax season starts soon & I'll be working ~30 hours a week. I'm also teaching another class this semester at the local junior college, so this is our planned "summer." Trouble is that last semester was also "summer" and over break I've been recouping from the stress of going back to work. Much better now, but not sure how to start back into schoolwork when DS says he isn't interested. He's 5 today.

He is reading some, and can type enough to find the movie he wants on Netflix.

DD just turned 2. I don't know that I've ever really "taught" her anything, but that hasn't slowed her down any!!

We still hope to homeschool, although I've applied for a FT job teaching. If I get it DH might decide to stay home with the kids. I'd do the bookwork of homeschooling, though, I think. No idea how that might work out.shrug.gif

Currently, I'm trying to streamline menu planning and housekeeping so I'll have time to enjoy my kids this semester. We've never really followed a rhythm, but I have a feeling we're gonna need one soon! orngtongue.gif

Learning & growing & changing everyday!
#7 of 94 Old 12-30-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsfrenchy View Post

Do you all have any good ideas for the best way to begin teaching numerals?  She can count well, but can't remember what '1,2,3' etc. symbolize.  I try to point them out in everyday life and if she asks me to draw three cats, then I'll write "3 cats"  at the top of the page and talk about how that's the #3 and we have three cats in the drawing.  Stuff like that.  I've found some good ideas for games to practice numeral recognition, but they sort of require that she have an idea about it at first.  I'm not planning on forcing the topic, but I would like some more ideas on how to gradually and casually present the numerals without overwhelming her.

Flash cards.  DD1 is 2.5 and has loved flash cards (abc's and numbers) since turning two.  I made her a set of Montessori numeral cards, which was v easy.  Cut out each number from sandpaper and glue it onto cardstock.  Tactile and visual.  Really, though, it was the same as learning the abc's: repetition!  Read counting books, play w/ small items and things like counting bears, & use flash cards.  Eventually she just "got it" and began saying "Two books" and such when looking at two of something.

http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?product=16247&keyword=counting%20bears&scategoryid=0&CategorySearch=&Brand=&Price=

I was going to buy these, but by the time I saw them, dd1 had a pretty good grasp of counting.  I think they are neat!: http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?Product=15915&rec=PDHtop

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

#8 of 94 Old 01-03-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogretro View Post

Flash cards.  DD1 is 2.5 and has loved flash cards (abc's and numbers) since turning two.  I made her a set of Montessori numeral cards, which was v easy.  Cut out each number from sandpaper and glue it onto cardstock.  Tactile and visual.  Really, though, it was the same as learning the abc's: repetition!  Read counting books, play w/ small items and things like counting bears, & use flash cards.  Eventually she just "got it" and began saying "Two books" and such when looking at two of something.

http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?product=16247&keyword=counting%20bears&scategoryid=0&CategorySearch=&Brand=&Price=

I was going to buy these, but by the time I saw them, dd1 had a pretty good grasp of counting.  I think they are neat!: http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?Product=15915&rec=PDHtop

I'm in the process of making some montessory sandpaper letters.  I may just go ahead and do the numerals as well.  What type of cardstock did you use?  I'm afraid they won't hold up well, but I don't really want to pay for wood instead.

Just to be clear, we don't have an issue with counting though or identifying how many there is of something.  She can identify groups of 2 and usually 3 without even counting.  she can count items higher than that too (she counted that she had 13 markers the other day, and was correct).  Higher than 15 gets a little iffy, but I'm not concerned about that at her age.

So it's not really counting that I need ideas on but rather seeing numerals and knowing that a '2' symbolizes the quantity of two, etc.

student momma to two great girls

#9 of 94 Old 01-04-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:

We just counted everything that was important to ds. At the playground rather than giving a five minute warning I would tell him how many more things he could do, at first I would help him but soon he was figuring out up to three and on and on. If we're at the grocery store we count how many things we put in the cart. In terms of the numerals I had a few workbooks that were well ahead of where ds was that he loved to scribble in, some times he followed the writing lines other times he did what he wanted but he was "around the numbers" add to that always reading signs and clocks and recipes to him he's just figured it out. Given we lean heavily towards unschooling, but every time I start to worry about some skill he starts up with it, as if my thinking about the subject is subconsciously linked to what I feel him begin to grasp.

But at 2.5 number concepts cans still be difficult, remember she's just started to understand that people who aren't in the room still exist. There seems to be a big jump from understanding 1 and 2 to understanding 3,4, etc. It always seemed to me that 1 and 2 are easy because of the you and me concepts but when you work further out from that young children are really learning a completely new idea (remember all the spoon at the table dropping when they are making sure gravity is a constant). I'm no expert at early childhood but my cousin who liked to point out these things when she visited.

Mama, writer, partner, wanderer. Living life with my ds (7/06), married to my best friend and nemesis .
#10 of 94 Old 01-04-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:

I'm in the process of making some montessory sandpaper letters.  I may just go ahead and do the numerals as well.  What type of cardstock did you use?  I'm afraid they won't hold up well, but I don't really want to pay for wood instead.

Just to be clear, we don't have an issue with counting though or identifying how many there is of something.  She can identify groups of 2 and usually 3 without even counting.  she can count items higher than that too (she counted that she had 13 markers the other day, and was correct).  Higher than 15 gets a little iffy, but I'm not concerned about that at her age.

So it's not really counting that I need ideas on but rather seeing numerals and knowing that a '2' symbolizes the quantity of two, etc.

I just used some stiff paper that I had in a crafting box.  They held up fine for dd1, but dd2 accidentally got a hold of them & did damage them a good bit.

I knew what you meant by numeral recognition & counting books really do help w/ it b/c there is the number and the picture on the same page.  Regular flash cards usually have this scenario, too.  That is what I liked about the peg cards, they can count and have the numeral.

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

#11 of 94 Old 01-05-2011, 09:35 AM

http://www.currclick.com/index.php?filters=10300_0_0_0_0&page=1&sort=4d

Currclick.com -- I love it -- has a ton of cool FREE products, and many of the non-free ones are CEAP -- I have been searching again this morning and reminded of the cool options there .... just thought i'd let any of the 'nev' people knov about it

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#12 of 94 Old 01-06-2011, 12:52 PM

Hi everyone! DD is 5 and we are hs'ing in a laid back way at this point. I purchased the sonlight pre-k curriculum, and we really love the books out of it, but def not really following a regular routine.

Today I received in the mail  'Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons'... I had it out from the library for 6 wks and liked it, but decided to buy our own copy as dd only wants to do it for a couple lessons a week. She is really interested in learning to read, but she doesn't like to work at it for too long at one sitting. I also got her a set of BOB books- got tired of the library ones always being checked out. DD seems really into those, and sat for a while trying to sound words out.

There are lots of great hs activities around here, but we probably won't start going to hs group until spring/summer, due to logistics. We are looking forward to other activities (story hour and church group) starting back up in a couple weeks. We live just a few miles from a cool nature center, and I'd like to get to some of their children's activities again (haven't gone much since ds was born). Also on the list for this spring/summer- making use of our zoo membership, and getting to the children's museum! 

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, 1984
#13 of 94 Old 01-06-2011, 06:52 PM

Hello!

I don't handle cold weather well so we are spending most of our time at home--playing whatever they want, reading, cleaning, etc. Luckily, it isn't cold long here (southern US) because we are really at our best when we get out at least a few times a week! I've been buying some supplies (arts and crafts, science experiment stuff, etc) with money we got for Xmas that I'll pull out randomly throughout the year.

We've taken a break from storytime because the new librarian that leads it is pretty serious about not wanting younger children in the preschool one which makes it impossible for us. My 3 year old was really beginning to gain confidence and participate too! I'm trying to find something else that is just as... um, free, haha.

oh noo
#14 of 94 Old 01-07-2011, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)

Ducking my head in. wave.gif

We were doing a more formal pre-school curriculum in the fall, and found, after a couple of months, that we just didn't like it.  DD just wasn't into it.  So, here in the new year, we took a big fat step back.  I am rearranging my schedule to fit my WAHMness better, and we are working on getting a rhythm to the day.  We are also going to work on self and house care, and that kind of thing this winter and summer. 

I am trying to get everyone's sleep schedule back to something that resembles the rest of the world, and not something that resembles a teenager on the weekends. LOL

We aren't doing anything formal at all right now, just playing and having her help me around the house.

And now I am researching what I want to do for official kindergarten stuff in the fall - taking into account the developing rhythms of our house, and the fact that she likes to do! not sit and talk.

Some days, it is all really overwhelming. LOL

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#15 of 94 Old 01-08-2011, 01:15 PM

Hi, everyone.  We're still in holiday hangoverness around here too!  I'll be so glad when I'm able to get life back into our normal rhythm. (We currently have company but after her leaves I *think* we'll be back to normal.)

I keep waffling over kindy in the fall.  I'm thinking right now to go with Little Acorn Learning and Enki stories.  I already have the Enki nature and fairy tales.  Over Advent and Christmas we did a special story and craft time together on Wednesdays that dd loved, so I thought I might try something similar with LAL next Fall.  I want to buy January right now and just see if it is something that will work for us.  I am at the point of pulling my hair out because I cannot seem to find exactly what I want--story/craft ideas and booklists of books to check out from the library.  We have started needle-felting as a family and that has been so much fun.  We've also started doing more puppetry as a family, and dd is really taking to that.  I'd really love to find some moralistic tales for dd that I can either read to her or act out in a puppet show exploring themes such as courage, wisdom, telling the truth, etc.  I'm actually thinking of focusing our next two years around morality tales.  Just something buzzing around but not fleshed out yet.  Anyone have any ideas on to how to actually carry this out and where to find stories/booklists?

I really want to check out WTM from the library again.  I checked it out a few months ago but it was so thick that it gave me a headache just looking at it.  I'm hoping now that life is settling down I'll be able to read it.

I'm glad everyone is doing well!  Hope you have a great 2011!

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
#16 of 94 Old 01-09-2011, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxPerpetua View Post

I really want to check out WTM from the library again.  I checked it out a few months ago but it was so thick that it gave me a headache just looking at it.  I'm hoping now that life is settling down I'll be able to read it.

What's WTM?

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

#17 of 94 Old 01-09-2011, 05:14 PM

WTM= Well Trained Mind I have a copy but I haven't gotten myself to sit down and read it.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#18 of 94 Old 01-09-2011, 08:45 PM

LuxPerpetua - www.virtueoftheweek.org has cirriculum for virtues and has a book list.  I am using the information (and altering it some) for a mid-week children's night we have at our church.  It's free and no strings attached if you sign up - at least I did 6-12 months ago and I haven't gotten any junk.  

A book that is Christian that I have used is A Child's book of Character Building -book 1.  It has a virtue with a verse, a few activities to go with the virtue, and 4 stories about the virtue - one from the Bible, one about at home, school, and play.  The school stories, of course, aren't homeschool stories, but I think many of them just relate to any classroom type experience kids have. Oh, and each story has a picture that can be colored.  The book isn't perfect - I find the stories are sometimes a bit IDK, obvious maybe, but they aren't bad for a young child.  The virtues in this book are: attentiveness, obedience, faith, wisdom, creativity, tenderheartedness, diligence, thankfulness, patience, honesty, contentment, joy. 

An actual list of a few books we're using this spring -

Mercy - The Circus Ship

Tact - Trupp

Courage - Wangari's Trees of Peace

Honour - The Squire and the Scroll

Creativity - If...

Reliability - One Hen

Virtues in General - The Berenstain Bears "Do Onto Others" book

HTH

Tjej

#19 of 94 Old 01-10-2011, 12:00 AM

We're unschooling so no curriculum, but I would like to make the effort to do more art and crafts with my 2.5-year-old...particularly before the new baby is born.  Right now she is into puzzles in a major way.  She is putting together 12, 15, and 24 piece jigsaw puzzles over and over again all by herself.  It's crazy to watch how fast she does it and how she knows exactly where all the pieces are!  Another one of her big interests are castles so I'd like to make her a cloth castle play set.  She's also into dragons, but not princesses.  So far the only princess she seems aware of is Princess Toadstool from a Mario game DH and I have been playing.  Lots of pretending going on lately.  She has been using her "wand" (a blue plastic stick to clean a flute with) to turn everyone into various animals.  We've also been watching the squirrels a lot while they attack the tree we decorated for the birds after the holidays.  I'm hoping to go to the children's museum more and the park, but I wish the weather wasn't sooooo cold all the time.  The wind makes being outside in nature pretty miserable.  I'm thinking she'll want to learn to read in a year or two because she tries to "read" letters now.  She'll look at a sign and say "R I T R P I" etc. like she's trying to spell something out.  IT's cute.

#20 of 94 Old 01-10-2011, 10:20 AM

It is so snowy today and we have these plans to go out but right now we keep getting side tracked inside. I love when I can hear ds playing by himself for hours in his own world. I am starting to figure out how to keep an only child content while also choosing to not send him to school. I'm not concerned with filling his time, rather I am trying to cultivate alone time for him. I'm finding that an every other day schedule works well for us, after a day out with other people we are ready for quiet the next day. What else do people with onlies find works well?

#21 of 94 Old 01-11-2011, 07:25 AM

thanks so much for the link to virtueoftheveek -- i am so excited!!!!! -- you rock momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjej View Post

LuxPerpetua - www.virtueoftheweek.org has cirriculum for virtues and has a book list.  I am using the information (and altering it some) for a mid-week children's night we have at our church.  It's free and no strings attached if you sign up - at least I did 6-12 months ago and I haven't gotten any junk.  

A book that is Christian that I have used is A Child's book of Character Building -book 1.  It has a virtue with a verse, a few activities to go with the virtue, and 4 stories about the virtue - one from the Bible, one about at home, school, and play.  The school stories, of course, aren't homeschool stories, but I think many of them just relate to any classroom type experience kids have. Oh, and each story has a picture that can be colored.  The book isn't perfect - I find the stories are sometimes a bit IDK, obvious maybe, but they aren't bad for a young child.  The virtues in this book are: attentiveness, obedience, faith, wisdom, creativity, tenderheartedness, diligence, thankfulness, patience, honesty, contentment, joy. 

Mercy - The Circus Ship

Tact - Trupp

Creativity - If...

Reliability - One Hen

HTH

Tjej

#22 of 94 Old 01-11-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjej View Post

Mercy - The Circus Ship

Tact - Trupp

Creativity - If...

Reliability - One Hen

HTH

Tjej

Oh wow ... thanks!  I can't wait to check this out!

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
#23 of 94 Old 01-14-2011, 05:33 PM

Hi wave.gifI like the concepts of  WTM and Mason but both of those don't really give an outline for pre-k. DS1 will be 4 in another month but he isn't quite ready to jump into starting reading yet. So I've come up with my own schedule so far  to cover the alphabet -one letter a week as well as the other subject matter generally covered in preschool. DS is loving it. He keeps requesting to do "fun stuff" to "do school".How can I refuse winky.gifWe read books, do activities, crafts, cooking etc. So far we do a fairly short session 6 days a week. One day is just read a poem, do our weather observation tree, cover an animal- ie tomorrow is bird so we'll talk about birds,where they live, what they eat & make bird treats to hang out, DS will pretend to be a bird and make bird sounds an of course well have to listen to 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVQdC8YrrZI

DS's favorite Little Bird, Little Bird by Elizabeth Mitchell (which of course requires DS to get out his little guitar and strum along singing. So cute. 

#24 of 94 Old 01-16-2011, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by *farmergirl* View PostDS's favorite Little Bird, Little Bird by Elizabeth Mitchell (which of course requires DS to get out his little guitar and strum along singing. So cute. 

Oh, I love Elizabeth Mitchell. I'm sure that's absolutely adorable. My DD? She could take her or leave her, and she plays the drums (sort of).

#25 of 94 Old 01-20-2011, 10:53 PM

Hello everyone!!!!  Long time no hear. 

I am well rested from hectic holidays and well rested from my internet hiatus.  I am at peace now with our choices and have shed guilt that I am doing everything wrong.  LOL.  My darn perfectionism. 

I apparantly have passed that perfectionism to DD.  She saw a lower case e and felt she must copy it and couldn't get it right.  She tried and tried herself and then I finally showed her.  She not only looks like my spitting image but, sorry DD, I have passed personality traits down as well. 

DS is 4 now.  His speech still has me worried but that's a different story.  He is beginning to notice letters.  His favorite is X since that is X-Ray and he is obsessed with bones. 

I read a really interesting book from the library http://www.amazon.com/Ants-Their-Pants-Teaching-Children/dp/1933653876/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1295592043&sr=1-6

I love saying "extra busy"  now.  I feel it's less a label and more of a truth.  Hee hee.  How did I end up with 2?  DD is especially super super extra busy.  The book has a lot of good activity suggestions for preschoolers/kindy age for movement and sensory integration and ways to calm the busyness.

Other than that we've been making candles, playing with beeswax, building block houses, baking, reading, and playing in the rain.  I should have taken a picture of our backyard in the recent flood but suffice to say it was a 4 y.o.'s dream.  We also have a new pet slug which my children insisted on having, bringing inside, and putting his "house" on the dining room table.  I was, however, able to resist the earthworm pet they wanted the slug to have.  DH, however, is making them an earthworm house so then we can also have worms in the house as well. 

In other words:  life is good.

Co-creator, Joyful Wife, and Grateful Mama to angel3.gifenergy.gifand sleepytime.gif
#26 of 94 Old 01-21-2011, 04:51 AM

getting ready to go TV FREE -- kinda :)  http://scribinglife.wordpress.com/2011/01/20/going-tv-free/  going TV free NOT Screen free.  Trying to make more intentional choices and adding more meat to our days.

thinking Kindy for the fall -- he'll be off his IEP and i am so excited

#27 of 94 Old 01-21-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Aimee View Post

getting ready to go TV FREE -- kinda :)  http://scribinglife.wordpress.com/2011/01/20/going-tv-free/  going TV free NOT Screen free.  Trying to make more intentional choices and adding more meat to our days.

thumbsup.gif  Way to go!!! 

We've been tv free (kinda) for years now.  We have A tv and watch movies though so we aren't screen free.  We are kind of how you described in your blog post.  It works really well for us but we have never had tv (reception) since the children were born so they've never had tv. 

It's funny.  My kidlets so don't understand tv.  At their Nana's house they watch tv.  If DD has to go potty she asks to pause it.  She just doesn't understand that you can't pause a tv. 

Co-creator, Joyful Wife, and Grateful Mama to angel3.gifenergy.gifand sleepytime.gif
#28 of 94 Old 01-21-2011, 12:27 PM

us too.  we have direct tv, so we can pause it, and allow the boys ONLY rrecorded shows -- so i can fast forvard commersals (they still SEE it and that annoys me but it is better) and Theo does NOT get it at papa's -- cable -- that tv can not be paused or REPEATED or shows watched any time.  LOL

I am excited about tv free, but i know I'd not make screen free :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezer75 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Aimee View Post

thumbsup.gif  Way to go!!! 

We've been tv free (kinda) for years now.  We have A tv and watch movies though so we aren't screen free.  We are kind of how you described in your blog post.  It works really well for us but we have never had tv (reception) since the children were born so they've never had tv. 

It's funny.  My kidlets so don't understand tv.  At their Nana's house they watch tv.  If DD has to go potty she asks to pause it.  She just doesn't understand that you can't pause a tv. 

#29 of 94 Old 01-24-2011, 09:34 PM

Is this thread still going?  I've been so busy with wrap up from the holiday madness lately that I haven't had as much time to check MDC as I like.

I'm glad you're back, Beezer!  I love having another Waldorf-guilt mama to commiserate with and get inspiration from.  Congrats on the slug!  For Easter this year I think we're going to get one of those butterfly hatching sets.  All the caterpillars where we live tend to be moths, so instead of hatching one of those again this year, I'm wanting to get a butterfly house set to make sure we get real butterflies this year.

As for us, I've started planning our kindy year which starts this Sept. *sniff*.  I'm going to just do about a 30 minute circle each day with hymns, prayers, and seasonal stories and fingerplays.  I think I'm going to integrate Seasons of Joy, which I already have, Little Acorn Learning, and some Enki kindy stories.  No clue how that's going to happen, but we'll see.  Anyone else looking at kindy in the Fall?  Any plans ruminating?

In winter I always seem to do a lot of inner work.  Right now I'm learning to sew.  I've also started up a blog to start documenting our homeschool for family and for myself to keep track of things.  I only have two posts so far but my last one is about the sewing project I'm working on for dd's Easter dress: http://canticlesbycandlelight.wordpress.com/ 

That's about it for us.  I still want to read the WTM soon.  I really want my own copy but funds do not permit so I am grateful for our library.  I've also just finished ALGF's kindy book.  Nothing outstanding but I did glean a few good ideas from it.  I still think that the internet is the best place to find out the real nuts and bolts of Waldorf education.  Books just can't do it justice.

Hope everyone is off to a great January!  Blessings!

#30 of 94 Old 01-24-2011, 09:59 PM

We aren't doing anything really and won't be until probably Juneish at the earliest. I'm due between the 1st and 6Th of February so I lack the drive/energy to do anything other than keep up the house. Then we move in April/May so living in a hotel I won't be doing much other than keep the kids out of trouble. After we settle in, get our household good and all that jazz DH wants me to look into and get a preboxed curriculum to use for at least the first year so its less stressful on me. I don't know if I like the idea since most of them just aren't what I'm looking for. Time will tell. DD1 really wants to be doing more so its hard to say no when I know she wants it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page