Science curriculum / books? (Real Science 4 Kids? or other suggestions) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-29-2010, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

DD10 would like to learn more about science.  She is in a science class but she wanted to learn more.  She loves to read and I think it would be fun for her to do some experiments as well.  Right now she is interested in learning more about gravity, electrons, planets, galaxy.  I'm looking for something more self-contained where she can pull out and read when she wants.  Ideas?

#2 of 4 Old 12-29-2010, 11:35 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 43 Post(s)

Well, I would not recommend RealScience4Kids for that sort of kid. It's very light on the reading. The textbooks are just a few dozen pages long with large fonts text and tons of white space. My 7-year-old read through the Biology I text cover to cover in about an hour and half. These do have an experimental component; while we found these okay, they weren't really the strength of the program. The strength is in distilling out basic principles and presenting them very efficiently in an unintimidating fashion to young children. So I think they're better suited to 7 to 9-year-olds getting their first taste of formal science than to 10 to 12-year-olds wanting more depth and breadth.

Instead you might look at something like the DK Definitive Visual Guide to Science or the DK Encyclopedia of Science. These are full of information and pictures, enough for dozens of hours of reading. And they're inexpensive for what you get. They're missing the experimental component, though, so you'd need to find another source of hands-on stuff. For that I'd recommend "Science Is..." by Susan Bosak. 

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#3 of 4 Old 12-29-2010, 08:31 PM
AAK

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

If you do use Real Science 4 Kids, go up a level.  I agree with pp when said that the level one books are easier than they make out.  They are solid, but simple.  We used Physics 1 in 4th grade.

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#4 of 4 Old 12-30-2010, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks!!  Our library has DK Encyclopedia of Science.  We'll check that out first and then probably order the other one.  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page