Favorite educational games? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 12-31-2010, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm just looking for some fun games to add to our collection. I've found Sun Swamp Addition and Subtraction Game and Scrambled States of America (there's a card game.) What others do you have that your children have enjoyed? 

Proud Catholic, homeschooling, RN-student mama of
DS 10 reading.gif  DS 8 fencing.gif DS 5, DD 3 energy.gif and a new DS  belly.gif 3/2011
#2 of 11 Old 12-31-2010, 05:03 PM

We love What's GNU?  http://www.amazon.com/Think-Fun-7760-ThinkFun-Whats/dp/B00073JTQQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293843759&sr=8-1  and we just got Sum Swamp (that you mentioned earlier) for Christmas and LOVE it!!!

SAH, homeschooling mama to DS (1/06) and DD (3/07)
#3 of 11 Old 12-31-2010, 05:19 PM

Rummikub has become a recent favorite. We also just got Qwirkle and it's a lot of fun. Mastermind is fun. Countdown and any version of Monopoly are good math games.

Homesteading, unschooling mama of three.
#4 of 11 Old 01-01-2011, 04:21 PM
AAK

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Shut the box

Blokus

Memory -- expanded to where we make cards to fit our purposes

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#5 of 11 Old 01-04-2011, 08:48 PM

It depends tremendously on the age, but my kiddo loves No Thanks (math), Qwirkle (sets, strategy), Carcassonne (spatial reasoning), Coloretto (math), Skippity (another great one by the Qwirkle lady), gin rummy, chess. Boardgamegeek.com is a GREAT resource, and there are all kinds of threads on the best games for each age group.

#6 of 11 Old 01-04-2011, 09:03 PM

Rack-O is a favorite here of kids and adults. And for Christmas we got 'Travel-Mania' which is a geography game and we've been playing the heck ouf that one!

~Mama to my boys~ to a teen, a tween & a toddler and surro-mama to twins and their sister

Livin' in the sticks with my chicks chicken3.gif and lovin' it!

2014:  4/52 projects  0/2014 things 0/52 books

#7 of 11 Old 01-06-2011, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh View Post

Rummikub has become a recent favorite. We also just got Qwirkle and it's a lot of fun. Mastermind is fun. Countdown and any version of Monopoly are good math games.

I went to amazon to look up countdown and found many games with that name. Which one do you like?

BTW, I bought Sum Swamp. My 5 year old loves it.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#8 of 11 Old 01-06-2011, 09:33 PM

My kids' current favorite is Apples to Apples. We also enjoy Boggle and Scrabble.  The younger kids like alphabet Bingo, esp when I use Scrabble or Boggle to help. They also like this game we found that is go fish with dice. The dice have different colors and you roll each turn, so your "hand" is always different.  The preschooler loves the Eric Carle games (found at Target) and Good Night Moon, too!

Caefi
#9 of 11 Old 01-06-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caefi View Post

My kids' current favorite is Apples to Apples. We also enjoy Boggle and Scrabble.  The younger kids like alphabet Bingo, esp when I use Scrabble or Boggle to help. They also like this game we found that is go fish with dice. The dice have different colors and you roll each turn, so your "hand" is always different.  The preschooler loves the Eric Carle games (found at Target) and Good Night Moon, too!

We LOVE Apples to Apples!

Scrabble is my favorite game but NO ONE in my family will play with me. guilty.gif

Bananagrams and Quiddler are other fun words games.

R~Mama to my sweet A 7//07 & bubbly Z 3/12

AND belly.gif due 9/13

#10 of 11 Old 01-07-2011, 05:54 AM

My family used to love "Take Off."  It's a geography game where you have a fleet of planes which you fly around the world from capital to capital.  Learned all of my capitals that way (although back when I had it, it had the USSR which made things easier LOL).  Totally impressed my international finance prof who gave us a surprise world map quiz. ;)

I honestly think all board games serve educational purpose--even if it's "just" teaching how to be a good winner/loser.  It doesn't have to be a "math" or "spelling" oriented game. (Although we do play a lot of math games with our Right Start math kit.)  My kids are 7, 5, 3, and 4 months... so we play lots of Hi-Ho Cherry-O, Horton Hears a Who Dr. Seuss Game, Uno, Sorry, Trouble, Connect 4, Mousetrap, etc.   I want to buy Clue Jr., Boggle Jr.,  and Monopoly Jr. too. 

Oh, back when I was a Christian, we used to love Bibleopoly too. LOL

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#11 of 11 Old 01-07-2011, 06:59 PM

We had 'game night' tonight and played Sum Swamp for the first time - purchase based upon the OP's review...thank you!  It's fun, but I wish it came with a second set of dice with higher numbers to make it a little more challenging.  I am going to go the the teacher supply store and look for additional dice.

We also played Money Bags for the first time.  It is a good game for my daughter because she has difficulty putting together coins to make certain totals.  I am going to replace the plastic coins with real money to make it a little easier.

Someone gave us an old Guess Who game a couple of years ago and my children love it.  I think it helps with logical thinking...and it is fun.  I've considered purchasing it for a gift but I've read reviews saying the newer versions are not as fun, do not have as many options for play (faces, appliances, animals, etc), and are not made as well.  If you can find an older version it is worth the purchase.  It was a nice game to play before they were reading; they could play it without an adult's assistance.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page