Ringin' in the New Year Classical/CM Style - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 72 Old 01-01-2011, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Happy New Year to everyone! Here is our December thread for reference ... 

We are looking forward to starting back up again (well, I say "we" loosely - I'm sure the boys are not quite as anxious as I am, but I know they will appreciate the structure again even if they don't want to admit it!). Dh, on the other hand, isn't looking forward to returning to work. Oh, in some ways it would be nice to be independently wealthy so he didn't have to work, but then again, I'd have to go all drill-seargent on them all to make sure we maintain some semblance of routine and structure! ROTFLMAO.gif

What is everyone planning for the new year? Any new curriculum choices? We are adding Sentence Composing to our weeks; I think we'll work through it on Wednesdays and Thursdays. My goal tonight/tomorrow is to look at everything we do, see if there's anything that can be dropped for now or lessened, and then rework our daily schedule so it makes some sense. The baby is usually awake from 9:30 until about noon, so I'm thinking I'll probably be slinging her during school time. But it might work, because she'll be sleeping in the afternoon or wanting to nurse/be held while sleeping, so we can sit on the couch all together and read history and science. Fortunately, over all, she's a very laid-back baby (much different in that respect than any of the three boys, though ds#2 was the closet to being laid-back). love.gif I'm hoping to find out this week about beginning services for her (infant stimulation) ... and really, really praying that they are in-home services. 

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 72 Old 01-02-2011, 07:21 AM

Happy New Year! :)

MLW, I've had the same thought about it being nice to say, win the lottery, but my mind wonders if it would be good or not as far as motivation in life, lol. It is so wonderful the baby is laid back, my last dd was as well. :) It was nice when she was little because I could accomplish a lot of reading while nursing her or holding her while she slept. Now she is almost three and a wiggly, busy handful!

I'm going to be adding in the Sentence Composing book and an outlining workbook for dd. She will also be starting our version of the Book of Centuries, combining a timeline and History notebook somewhat. Not exactly a la WTM, but I think it will work nicely. At some point she will begin outlining for History as well, but I'm in no rush and still plan to have her do narrations some days as well.

We are on somewhat of a hiatus from Singapore Math (which I love). We are focusing on multiplication facts right now until both kids have them down so well it is instantaneous for them. I've tried several things to try to accomplish this in the past, but it hasn't stuck for them. I ran across a link to a video on Math Mammoth demonstrating structured drill for the multiplication facts and we are now using that process. So far so good, it seems to be working. I'm having them both do a few addition and subtraction problems with borrowing and carrying on the black board daily for review so as not to lose anything and throwing in a word problem or two sometimes as well. We've covered multi-digit multiplication and division in the past, but I refuse to do it again and progress any farther until the facts are second nature to them. i just don't see the point.

blogging.jpg

#3 of 72 Old 01-02-2011, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
We are adding in a bunch. Only dropping WWE and a lot of our Waldorf block work except (but not all). We're adding more memory work, French for ds (we do some during circle, but more intensive French will be added for him), Latin and Greek for everyone, more history work, more American history/geography studies, some new books for read-alouds, and hopefully karate or gymnastics for the kids. I'd like to get them in piano but it's $60/e per month for that here.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#4 of 72 Old 01-02-2011, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRubyandKen View Post

Happy New Year! :)

MLW, I've had the same thought about it being nice to say, win the lottery, but my mind wonders if it would be good or not as far as motivation in life, lol. It is so wonderful the baby is laid back, my last dd was as well. :) It was nice when she was little because I could accomplish a lot of reading while nursing her or holding her while she slept. Now she is almost three and a wiggly, busy handful!

I'm going to be adding in the Sentence Composing book and an outlining workbook for dd. She will also be starting our version of the Book of Centuries, combining a timeline and History notebook somewhat. Not exactly a la WTM, but I think it will work nicely. At some point she will begin outlining for History as well, but I'm in no rush and still plan to have her do narrations some days as well.

We are on somewhat of a hiatus from Singapore Math (which I love). We are focusing on multiplication facts right now until both kids have them down so well it is instantaneous for them. I've tried several things to try to accomplish this in the past, but it hasn't stuck for them. I ran across a link to a video on Math Mammoth demonstrating structured drill for the multiplication facts and we are now using that process. So far so good, it seems to be working. I'm having them both do a few addition and subtraction problems with borrowing and carrying on the black board daily for review so as not to lose anything and throwing in a word problem or two sometimes as well. We've covered multi-digit multiplication and division in the past, but I refuse to do it again and progress any farther until the facts are second nature to them. i just don't see the point.

Do you have the video link for MM and structured drill for multiplication facts? Ds#1 is making progress (we do a combo of Mad Minute drill sheets - though untimed - and flash cards), but maybe changing it up a bit would help him. I like the idea of a couple review problems on the blackboard too - sometimes I think I should breakdown and get the Evan-Moor daily math practice books for ds#1 and ds#2, but then I think it'd just be yet another thing to try and schedule. ;) So, I like the idea of just one or two things on the blackboard for them to work.

Oh, and I'm buying Singapore Essential Math K for ds#3. We have Miquon ready for him, but I think I want to start that in the fall when he's "officially" K age (I can't believe that!). So, the EM books would be a way to get him used to a bit more formal math before moving to Miquon for K, and then integrating Singapore 1A/B and Miquon in 1st grade. 

And dd loves being sung to, so I'm pulling out my Waldorf-based song books by Mary Schunemann, and reteach us the songs. We used to sing them a lot when ds#3 was a baby and ds#2 was doing speech therapy, but then dropped them as the boys got older (though ds#3 loves to sing and would have loved learning the songs as well). I'm glad I didn't get rid of the books as I think both ds#3 and dd will enjoy them. 

#5 of 72 Old 01-02-2011, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Subbing!  One thing I've been meaning to ask, what are the similarities between CM and classical?  We are classical, but all I really know about CM is that she was into nature studies and didn't have children of her own.  Just wondering what the connection between the two is :)

#6 of 72 Old 01-02-2011, 11:38 AM

MLW- here is the link to the multiplication video :). I watched some of the others and found them useful as well.

blogging.jpg

#7 of 72 Old 01-02-2011, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBomb View Post

Subbing!  One thing I've been meaning to ask, what are the similarities between CM and classical?  We are classical, but all I really know about CM is that she was into nature studies and didn't have children of her own.  Just wondering what the connection between the two is :)

I don't have much more of an answer, except to add that she was big on narration, studied dictation (different than WTM style dictation), and believed in short lessons. I think she also was an advocate for somewhat delayed academics, for instance, not starting grammar study until late elementary (again different than WTM style). 

Quote:

MLW- here is the link to the multiplication video :). I watched some of the others and found them useful as well.

Thank you!

#8 of 72 Old 01-02-2011, 01:44 PM

Thanks for the link to the multiplication video! Hopefully that will make it easier for dd to remember her tables.

Dh goes back to work tomorrow, then it is back to the usual pattern for us. I cant wait to get back to normal. We are starting Lively Latin, and carrying on with the Calvert curriculum. I think we should finish the second grade by the summer. After we complete 2nd grade ( and third for maths) with Calvert I am not sure what we should do next. I am seriously considering just continuing for now with Calvert, and getting third grade, with 4th grade math. Their customer service was not great in so far as getting it out here to us, and answering questions about the curriculum and access from here. For instance my maps were all coming up on the computer in Japanese! I cannot read in Japanese, dd cannot read Japanese. I figured it must be the global setting, but their tech didnt even offer a solution. I kind of expect more considering how expensive it is!

What does everyone reckon? Do I mix and match or carry on with Calvert? I also have to buy ds`s curriculum. He is a reading phonics level one, knows how to write numbers and letters, four year old. The pre k curriculum seems far too easy.

Happy new year everyone!

#9 of 72 Old 01-03-2011, 07:21 AM

Your welcome for the link. :) I think I ran across it over on TWTM forums. I did want to add that I am building in review as we go along. I am having them skip count frontwards and backwards by the # we've previously went through the process with, I write random multiplication problems on the chalk board for one #(such as if we are currently studying the 4's I will write 3X1=, then 3X6=, then 3X12=, then 3X9= and they give answers as I go along), and I generate worksheets on this site containing only facts we've previously covered, not the one we are currently doing. The review only adds a few extra minutes to the process. I don't do all of the review things every day, but pick and choose how I want so long as there is some review happening daily.

blogging.jpg

#10 of 72 Old 01-03-2011, 10:54 AM

Thanks for starting this thread, MLW!  coolshine.gif

We are switching things up a bit.  I want to add more phonics instruction to KiwiBoy's curriculum.  We are going to try to address all his issues aggressively starting this week -- with an appointment with a developmental optometrist this Thursday.  I'm also looking for a speech language pathologist, an occupational therapist, and a neuropsychologist. 

For him we currently use All About Spelling Level One, Math U See, Handwriting Without Tears, and Song School Latin.  We dropped our previous history and geography curriculum and we'll be adding in FIAR volume 4 and other unit studies.  We'll also be beginning BFSU2.  For more phonics instructions, I am looking at adding in Reading Rods, I am Sam books, and possibly Hooked On Phonics.  Does anyone have any thoughts on adding HOP for a possible dyslexic?  I thought I read once here on MDC that HOP is not a recommended curriculum for dys., but I cannot find that info. now.  shrug.gif

For CherryPie, we dropped MCT Voyage level, and Latin for Children A.  We replaced them with Writing Strands 3, Growing with Grammar, and Galore Park's Latin Prep.  In addition to this, she will also be doing unit studies via BYFIAR or Amanda Bennett independently.  We also recently switched her from a Singapore Math / Life of Fred combo to Teaching Textbooks.  She will be doing the majority of her studies independently.

We made a lot of changes so essentially I consider ourselves starting our school year over this month.  But we are going to push through and I expect CherryPie will be able to finish at least the TT level and WS by the end of August, maybe sooner.

loveeyes.gif Loving homeschoolin' mama to CherryPie modifiedartist.gif and KiwiBoy eat.gif::: wife-y to my high school sweetheart partners.gif
#11 of 72 Old 01-04-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBomb View Post

I think CM is great to read, but you need to remember (as i had to be reminded rectently LOL) that she dealt with school aged childrebn, in a school setting, from upper class families in a differnt time.  She is great, and I apperciapte her wr itting, butttttttt it doesn't always happen the way she presents it for thoese of us that have to actually get them up, dfed, dressed, into a car, batheoughtd, in to bed and so on ... the life stuff.  But read she, it gives some good food for thought.

lot of nature

lot of good reading

lot of narritve and memory workl.

I like :  http://simplycharlottemason.com/

http://www.amblesideonline.org/ is great too -- and has active yahoo groups -- it seems more advanced TO ME, i could be strage.

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#12 of 72 Old 01-04-2011, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Oh my ... today is a do-over, let's put everyone in bed type of day. faint.gifSo, my laid-back babe decided that she only would sleep if I held her (normally when she's asleep, I can put her in her bouncy seat in the kitchen/dining room with us and get at least 30 minutes of 2-arm time). Ds#2 cannot focus on math at all. Ds#1 is ALL. OVER. THE. PLACE!!! I swear I might have to start giving him coffee in the morning to try and calm him down. Ds#3 is being a pill (I love him, and them all, dearly, but go eat your lunch finally!!!). I just sent them all to their bed because they can't keep their hands off each other (not in a good way). Sorry for the vent ... I knew it'd be hard getting back into a routine but I was not expecting it to be this bad. Unfortunately for them, they'll have work to do with dh when he gets home. And, they don't know it, but dh isn't in a great mood as he's exhausted and neither of us feel great. (I think I'm getting a cold.) 

Phew ... that's done! On a good note (because I don't like everything being doom and gloom!), we started Mr. Popper's Penguins in lieu of WWE today. I think it'll go well as the story is very engaging. Plus, having read most all of Deconstructing Penguins, I can help them analyze it as we go. (Right now I have them thinking about the town name of Stillwater in relation to Mr. Popper. Plus I think we might read Zen Shorts (or Zen Ties - I can't remember the title) as the Panda is Stillwater, and compare a bit there too.) 

#13 of 72 Old 01-04-2011, 05:45 PM

So far so good, we've got two school days actually done so far this week--i.e., we're on schedule. DD seems to be clicking on math, so I've stepped it up a bit on the pace. We fell behind my original schedule last semester because it wasn't clicking.

We're keeping up the pace on FLL, too...that is to say, 5-6 lessons/week when we do school 4 days/week. DD is setting a rapid pace herself on her phonics program, too, and showing more enthusiam for read-alouds. I'm going to pick up the pace on geography, because we've dropped history and, again, DD seems to be clicking with the subject and really enjoying it. She finished How to Read a Map, and we'll be starting the next Evan-Moor book with the next lesson.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#14 of 72 Old 01-04-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWonders View Post

Oh my ... today is a do-over, let's put everyone in bed type of day. faint.gifSo, my laid-back babe decided that she only would sleep if I held her (normally when she's asleep, I can put her in her bouncy seat in the kitchen/dining room with us and get at least 30 minutes of 2-arm time). Ds#2 cannot focus on math at all. Ds#1 is ALL. OVER. THE. PLACE!!! I swear I might have to start giving him coffee in the morning to try and calm him down. Ds#3 is being a pill (I love him, and them all, dearly, but go eat your lunch finally!!!). I just sent them all to their bed because they can't keep their hands off each other (not in a good way). Sorry for the vent ... I knew it'd be hard getting back into a routine but I was not expecting it to be this bad. Unfortunately for them, they'll have work to do with dh when he gets home. And, they don't know it, but dh isn't in a great mood as he's exhausted and neither of us feel great. (I think I'm getting a cold.) 

Phew ... that's done! On a good note (because I don't like everything being doom and gloom!), we started Mr. Popper's Penguins in lieu of WWE today. I think it'll go well as the story is very engaging. Plus, having read most all of Deconstructing Penguins, I can help them analyze it as we go. (Right now I have them thinking about the town name of Stillwater in relation to Mr. Popper. Plus I think we might read Zen Shorts (or Zen Ties - I can't remember the title) as the Panda is Stillwater, and compare a bit there too.) 

The day here wasn't exactly top notch at all points either. :) It's challenging with such a little one. They like to keep you on your toes, lol. Got used to that, oh time to change it up a bit!

blogging.jpg

#15 of 72 Old 01-04-2011, 06:10 PM

I wanted to post a link to worksheetworks.com. I printed off one sheet of multi-digit addition with carrying and one sheet of multi-digit subtraction with borrowing, both with answer keys. I three hole punched and put them in my teacher's guide binder. There are a lot of problems per sheet. This makes it really easy for me to just have the kids do a couple or few problems on the chalkboard each day. There are also printable word problem sheets, but I've only created one and it seemed super easy compared to Singapore's word problems. I'll have to try again. The one I gave ds today he read and didn't even write on the board, just did mentally.

blogging.jpg

#16 of 72 Old 01-04-2011, 07:18 PM

Hi!  I joined this thread last month (I think) but then didn't participate much. 

We're using a mix of Waldorf and Classical resources.  I'd really love some advice on science and Latin, particularly for my 3rd grader.  We have not done any official science yet and no Latin at all (though he has had a year of modern Greek).

I love reading this thread, even though I haven't participated much. 

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#17 of 72 Old 01-04-2011, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I wanted to post a link to worksheetworks.com. I printed off one sheet of multi-digit addition with carrying and one sheet of multi-digit subtraction with borrowing, both with answer keys. I three hole punched and put them in my teacher's guide binder. There are a lot of problems per sheet. This makes it really easy for me to just have the kids do a couple or few problems on the chalkboard each day. There are also printable word problem sheets, but I've only created one and it seemed super easy compared to Singapore's word problems. I'll have to try again. The one I gave ds today he read and didn't even write on the board, just did mentally.

You are the queen of great links! Thanks for that one as I was wondering how I was going to continue to be creative with math problems thumb.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy View Post

Hi!  I joined this thread last month (I think) but then didn't participate much. 

We're using a mix of Waldorf and Classical resources.  I'd really love some advice on science and Latin, particularly for my 3rd grader.  We have not done any official science yet and no Latin at all (though he has had a year of modern Greek).

We use Latin for Children A with our 4th grader and 3rd grader. I am really pleased with it and we love the Magister on the DVD. If you want something more easy-going and light, and want to include your younger children, then Song School Latin might work. It is mostly just introducing vocabulary through song with a few workbook pages. There is very little grammar instruction, but is a nice way to just get used to the language itself. We did it last year with our then 3rd grader, 1st grader, and PreKer (who loved learning the songs and still remembers some of them). But, if it's just for your 8 year old, it might be too young for him. I know some like to use Prima Latina as a introduction to Latin; we have never used it (and it is Christian-based - not sure if that would be an issue or not), but others say it is boring. But, I wanted to throw out another option. 

#18 of 72 Old 01-05-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy View Post

Hi Chrissy.  The classical approach to science is that it should be pretty informal at this age, lots of experiments and nature studies, things like that that have them observing and interacting with the world around them.  Dd1 is in 3rd grade and this year we've been using Behold and See 3, which is a Catholic, experiment based curriculum.  I think we might go with something a little more challenging next year, though, but only because science is dd1's favorite topic and she really wants something more.

We use Memoria Press Latin curricula.  Like the pp said, some people complain that it's boring, but I like it.  We did PL in 2nd grade and Latina Christina I this year.  Part of what program you learn depends on whether you want your child to learn classical pronunciation, or ecclesiastical.  I much prefer ecclesiastical, plus it's more practical for us since we're pretty traditional Catholics (ie, lots of Latin).

#19 of 72 Old 01-06-2011, 07:56 PM

So, for Latin for Children, do you all use the whole bundle?  That seems so $$$$$.  I'm thinking of trying the Song School Latin for the rest of the year.  Is the monkey really annoying?  LOL

Cherrybomb, thanks for the science tips!

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#20 of 72 Old 01-08-2011, 01:06 PM

Good afternoon!

I have no idea if this post will go through or not. MDC is giving my computer FITS.

We're still here and i try to read you all everyday.

I'm recovering from a terrible cold so we've had a light week.

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#21 of 72 Old 01-08-2011, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

I hope you feel better soon! dust.gif(pixie healing dust! But the kind that doesn't cause one to sneeze!)

#22 of 72 Old 01-08-2011, 07:17 PM

We managed to get some work done today.

Now I'm photocpying this awesome book for history that the library is going to make me return. :(

But it's so cool and there are no copies in the world anymore!!!

Tomorrow will be a day to catch up on all history we're behind in. Oh, the kids have so much to look forward to!! :D

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#23 of 72 Old 01-10-2011, 11:41 AM

Oops, missed the new thread.  We had been on break and I have been busy around the house decluttering and simplying.  Today was our first day back as I finally got the house back to good order.  It actually went pretty well but I think we will be focusing on the basics right now and maybe slowly adding other things back in as we go. 

We haven't even been going to library or to co-op, although co-op has been cancelled mostly due to holidays.  I just was doing too much and it caught up with me. 

Ds seems to be making good breakthroughs in reading with I See Sam.   I think he can recognize all the letters now, which is huge and seems to know most all the sounds.  We hadn't done any in 3 weeks and he picked up right where we left off.  We are working on the Cotter fractual for Math.  Writing is well also.  I think the break was good for both of us, really. 

We are currently reading The Indian in the Cupboard for read-aloud- actually should be finishing it up in the next day or two and we all have really, really enjoyed it.  We might go on with the rest in the series after that instead of my planned books, but who knows. 

My niece just started K this year, which is what ds would be in public school and they are just starting on working on reading this week so I feel good about that.  I think he is on par with the public schooled kids.  It is hard because he is right on the cutoff and his cousin(female) started K last year so she is a year ahead.  Of course girls often have it easier.  But he is making his own progress, so that is good.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#24 of 72 Old 01-10-2011, 01:26 PM

Well, we're back. We took a solid week off and just did a little here and there the week before that.

I've changed things a little---we are going to focus on the fun stuff :) So that means that History and Science and Art and Music will be center stage. Today it worked great, we had a really in-depth history session and also got all our other stuff done, too. We'll see if it sticks ;)

Happy and in love with my family!
#25 of 72 Old 01-10-2011, 07:49 PM

Hi all!  Sorry I've been absent.  Morning sickness (uh, more like ALL day sickness) has had my mind on baby stuff instead of homeschooling stuff.  I felt ok for most of today and managed to keep all of my food down, a major accomplishment these days!  I spent a few hours working on getting our website updated.  We've been steadily working on the things I had planned but the website was neglected over the holidays.  I think I have the first 10 weeks of the first grade school year completely done now.  I'm hoping I feel up to doing 10 more tomorrow.  I want to get it all finished ASAP so I can start putting up my plans for next year.  I know that having a newborn in the house will make things interesting, so I want all of my planning and prepwork done by the time summer begins.

We've sort of let the Waldorf stuff slide since finding out about the baby.  Nik hasn't mentioned missing it, and I'm grateful because it was a lot more work than what we're currently doing.  I know I can't keep up with it while pregnant, having a newborn, and then a toddler.

We've stopped using Story of the World and R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey, as well.  Nik loves reading about history and spends a minimum of an hour with the Usborne Encyclopedia of World History daily.  I started to think it would be best to keep history and science more informal for the first 4 years.  So far we're still learning plenty, but we're having a LOT more fun and our days seem so much more relaxed.  The birds at our feeder have kept us occupied for the last week.  I can't believe how many there are for one smallish feeder!  I think many of them are living in our overgrown evergreen hedge out front.  We really need to buy a pair of binoculars to get a better look at them.  It's hard to identify them without being able to see the fine details.

We haven't started anything new exactly, but we did pull out some of the Explode the Code workbooks that we hated, hated, hated last year.  Nate found them on the bookshelf and Nik asked if we could do some pages.  He's enjoying them and learning quite a bit so I think we'll keep up with them. 

crunchy_mama I can't believe the school is just starting to work on reading with the Kers!  What exactly did they do for the first part of the year?

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#26 of 72 Old 01-11-2011, 05:03 AM

I think they just worked on letter recognition and such, not really sure.  But they just gave them the dolche list to take home over Christmas and hadn't done any work on reading as of starting back.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#27 of 72 Old 01-11-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jessica* View Post

Hi all!  Sorry I've been absent.  Morning sickness (uh, more like ALL day sickness) has had my mind on baby stuff instead of homeschooling stuff.  I felt ok for most of today and managed to keep all of my food down, a major accomplishment these days!  I spent a few hours working on getting our website updated.  We've been steadily working on the things I had planned but the website was neglected over the holidays.  I think I have the first 10 weeks of the first grade school year completely done now.  I'm hoping I feel up to doing 10 more tomorrow.  I want to get it all finished ASAP so I can start putting up my plans for next year.  I know that having a newborn in the house will make things interesting, so I want all of my planning and prepwork done by the time summer begins.

I feel for you. We went all radical unschooler for most of my first trimester, because reading aloud made me feel too sick. Homeschooling with a new baby has been FAR easier than that!

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#28 of 72 Old 01-11-2011, 06:05 PM

Wait...there's no running around with your hair on fire smilie? Because that's totally where I'm at!

We've been back since Jan. 3rd and WOW. I am so unprepared yet overplanned. We don't get all our stuff done everyday. Can someone enlighten me to what days are like in other classical/CM households with tons of kids? We are having to take long mental breaks through the day and don't get done until bedtime and then still not getting done. I just would hate to cut out subjects. We are totally leaving out art and I keep forgetting narration (which they hate! so they don't say anything!) and then just feeling completely unaccomplished.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#29 of 72 Old 01-11-2011, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post

Wait...there's no running around with your hair on fire smilie? Because that's totally where I'm at!

We've been back since Jan. 3rd and WOW. I am so unprepared yet overplanned. We don't get all our stuff done everyday. Can someone enlighten me to what days are like in other classical/CM households with tons of kids? We are having to take long mental breaks through the day and don't get done until bedtime and then still not getting done. I just would hate to cut out subjects. We are totally leaving out art and I keep forgetting narration (which they hate! so they don't say anything!) and then just feeling completely unaccomplished.

Here's what are days are like currently, even with my laid-back babe. ROTFLMAO.gif

*The boys wake sometime between 8:30 and 9'ish. Usually ds#1 is up first, grabs and iPod and headphones, and listens to something Percy Jackson. If it's Friday, he can turn on the TV. Ds#3 wakes and crawls into bed with me and the baby. Then, ds#2 gets up. Eventually we get out of bed around 9:30'ish. I open shutters to let in the light and get on the computer. The boys play and take turns arguing over who will hold the baby next. In between, I'm nursing and changing diapers (she loves to nurse and pee!). 

*Around 10:30, I try to get in the shower. Usually ds#1 will babysit for me. Sometimes baby and I take a shower together. Sometimes I realize I might get a shower before bed. It's anyone's guess.

*Sometime between 11:00 and 11:30 we have brunch. I've stopped calling it breakfast. Today, we just opted to call it an early lunch. Then school gets started around noon or just after. Mind you, I love starting school by 10:00am ... I'm a morning person. I don't like sitting at the kitchen table at 4pm getting stuff done. But I digress.

*This is a successful school day:

-Latin

-Math (ds#1 does a math drill sheet while I teach ds#2 his lesson. Then ds#2 starts in his workbook while I teach ds#1. Ds#3 is usually doing something at the table - HWOT, the pre-ETC books, Kumon book). 

-Spelling for ds#1 and ds#2.

~Sometimes we'll take a break here; sometimes we'll push through. Usually we need to eat something as by this time it's nearly 2pm. And typically by spelling for the older two, ds#3 is watching a Leap Frog video and I've nursed and change the baby a few times and have stolen about 5-10 minutes at a time while she naps in her basinet next to us.

-Grammar - I've dropped FLL and GWG (we were doing FLL a few days and GWG the other days of the week), and now we are only doing MCT. It's much more relaxed and yet we are learning a lot together. I love this program. I put the Practice Island sentence on the board and we diagram it. What is nice is we are doing predicate nominatives (PrN) and predicate adjectives (PrA) in Latin right now, which are simply the two types of subject complements taught in Grammar Island, so we are getting a lot of reinforcement. We jus finished reading Grammar Island and are almost done with Sentence Island. After that, we'll give some time and attention to the other two books. I think we we are finished reading through all four MCT books, then I'll pick back up *either* FLL or GWG while still doing a Practice Island sentence on the board.

-Literature/Writing/WWE - we are reading Mr. Popper's Penguins for our literature/WWE and are loving it. We only do one chapter a day, asking questions as we go. Then, after they either have a dictation passage (ds#2 does two sentences and ds#1 does an entire passage - usually three or four), or we copy two sentences from the story with a somewhat unknown vocabulary word and then look up the definition and write it down, or they have to write their own narration/summary after we discuss the chapter together. It is going well and I like the different skills we focus on during the week. We are also doing Sentence Composing and I'm really liking it. It's a bit tough for the boys, but they are starting to get it (they can hear the sentences chunked correctly but it's a bit more work for them to do it themselves). I think I need to put the model sentence(s) on the board so we can really analyze it, though that would mean erasing my PI sentence that dh likes to see when he gets home (he misses hs'ing with us).

That's our day ... if we make it through that, I'm happy. My goal next week is to add in history - just reading SOTW and/or the Usborne encyclopedia. Then, maybe a map or a narration or a dictation. After that, I want to add in one day of reading science (I've decided to pull the rest of REAL science from my files; we are going to do astronomy - the last section - but my way, which is just reading books and writing little "fact" sheets for each planet, the moon, the sun ... almost narration sheets with an illustration for their notebooks). If we can do art a few times between now and the summer, that will be a huge bonus! I know as the baby gets bigger, sleeps a bit better at nap times, and once we have all these preliminary doctor appts done, things will fall into a better routine. For now, I've realized, I just have to go with it and be happy that we are getting our core done - Latin, math and strong L/A. 

#30 of 72 Old 01-12-2011, 11:02 PM

I have decided this community is not the place for me, but wanted to thank all of you for being so supportive and for all the good ideas

Thank you

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page