connections academy? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-06-2011, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i know of one child on our block that is homeschooled, she is 11yrs old, her mom told me they use connections acadamy.  I havent heard much about this program beings we unschool and my dd is only 6 years old, but i was wondering what the requirements are to join in on this program and could anyone give me some idea what type of lessions they teach, my dd is only doing maybe an half hour of structured school a day if that so i am not sure if this would work for her or if it is even able for 1st graders.  I am feeling we need more structured, I am am horrible with planning out lessons so we were thinking this would be a good change to try for a while,  is it hard to register(do you register with the county you are in) and is it hard to drop the prgram if it doesnt work out?  Sorry so many question, i am totally clueless about the whole virtual school world. thanks

#2 of 4 Old 01-06-2011, 12:49 PM

You will probably get more answers, but connections is a lot like K12, seems like more people around here do K12.  It is public school at home, they provide the material and set the requirements for time, progress, attendance and such.

Stephanie married to Jerry  partners.gif  mama to  modifiedartist.gif (10) and superhero.gif(7) and 3rdtri.gif
#3 of 4 Old 01-07-2011, 05:58 AM

Where I used to live, they used Connections.  At the time, Connections used Calvert's curriculum for the younger grades--which meant, for the most part, it was offline. (I liked that about it!)  For the older grades (I think 3rd+, but I'm not sure), it was more similar to K12.  They used standard textbooks, but then had lessons and exercises online.  It seemed like depending on where you were, they organized field trips, picnics, etc.

There is a Connections Academy YahooGroup, which might be a good resource.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#4 of 4 Old 01-08-2011, 11:13 AM

I bet you will be able to find their web site.I know there is one for the Ohio Connections. If it is a public charter it will cost nothing to enroll. You state dept. of Ed will list the *report card* for this and other schools.

http://www.connectionsacademy.com/florida-school/free-online-public-school.aspx

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page