Six vital things all homeschoolers must have/do - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 01-09-2011, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I recently participated in a comment debate on a friend's FB page over the topic of homeschooling....and was informed by someone who does not homeschool, never has homeschooled or been homeschooled, and didn't actually know any homeschoolers that in order to homeschool properly one must have/do the following 6 things (posted for your amusement):

1. Keep a clean and NEAT house.  No clutter or mess at all.

2. Have desks for the children to work at.

3. have a daily schedule and get up EARLY like every other school child.

4. And I quote: "mom needs to cook nutritious meals, like our state specifically requires in schools, not pizza rolls"

5. Physical activity daily, like at school.

6. A designated lunch & break time daily, not when "the phone rings & mom want to go chat".

I swear I about laughed my butt off at all of this!  Really...my house MUST be spotless?  My child has to sit at a desk?  We have to get up at 7am and since when are school lunches so healthy?  Last time I checked there were fast food places in the highschools here!  We don't ever do anything active?  And we have to eat at a specific time each day?

As a homeschool grad I can tell you right now we had a cluttered home, books everywhere, etc.  I didn't ever work at a desk.  I got up when I was rested and our schedule changed as needed.  My mum cooked because she was there to do so...I'd had a pizza roll till I was an adult.  I played outside all the time.  And I ate when I was hungry....even while doing school!

droolgoddess likes this.
#2 of 31 Old 01-09-2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMum View Post

I recently participated in a comment debate on a friend's FB page over the topic of homeschooling....and was informed by someone who does not homeschool, never has homeschooled or been homeschooled, and didn't actually know any homeschoolers that in order to homeschool properly one must have/do the following 6 things (posted for your amusement):

Well the downstairs looks pretty nice right now but otherwise no

We use our kitchen table some, our floor a lot, a blanket on the grass when it's warm, our kitchen counter, our couch...

Umm, no.

4. And I quote: "mom needs to cook nutritious meals, like our state specifically requires in schools, not pizza rolls"

My meals are typically healthier. 

Nothing planned but they sure get a lot  of movement in! 

6. A designated lunch & break time daily, not when "the phone rings & mom want to go chat".

Baloney! 

I swear I about laughed my butt off at all of this!  Really...my house MUST be spotless?  My child has to sit at a desk?  We have to get up at 7am and since when are school lunches so healthy?  Last time I checked there were fast food places in the highschools here!  We don't ever do anything active?  And we have to eat at a specific time each day?

As a homeschool grad I can tell you right now we had a cluttered home, books everywhere, etc.  I didn't ever work at a desk.  I got up when I was rested and our schedule changed as needed.  My mum cooked because she was there to do so...I'd had a pizza roll till I was an adult.  I played outside all the time.  And I ate when I was hungry....even while doing school!

That is what? 2 out of 4? My children are doomed!

:
#3 of 31 Old 01-09-2011, 11:40 PM

Oh, cr*p. I'm doing it ALL WRONG!!!!!! Following PP's example and adding my own comments to the quote.

Quote:

Whatever. I wouldn't *lick* my floors, but I pick up non-sticky food off them all the time and eat it. Clutter says you are using your stuff and not just storing it. I think.

Ok, workspace is important. The floor. The dining room table. The deck.

WHATEVER. They get up early right now because they're preschoolers. I'm sooo looking forward to when they will sleep in.

Really? I love me some pizza rolls. I had them all.the.time at school growing up!!! 

Like the one semester of gym I had to take in high school?

What kids actually let their mom talk on the phone??? Seriously. If I want to escape, I go TO THE COMPUTER. I can yell at them at the same time!!

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

#4 of 31 Old 01-10-2011, 07:57 AM

**SNORT ** 

1. Keep a clean and NEAT house. No clutter or mess at all. 

Well my home stays "clean" I don't hide in shame if the door bell rings part of our moring rountinue includes some hoem cleaning time.. But umm we do a LOT here clutter happens

Why? We work at the kitchen table, the computer, the couch, out side, at restraunts, in the park, on top of beds, in the car...

HA HA I think NOT I consider my self a sctructured HS. I create  lesson plans the night before and I follow through with them the next day and we do have a rountimnue to our days BUT. We start around 1-1.5 hours after my DD wakes up.. I HATED the battles of getting my DD up at 6am and trying to get her off to school by 7:15 the fights UGG! SOOO much easier and more productive allowing her body to wake naturally.  We do have a bed time I set her up to hav a decent wake time and shes knows the rules that we finish the day.. SO if shes  decided to stay up too late sleep in till noon then the  natural conquence might mean were still working when her friends come home from PS around 2-3pm.. SO far its not been an issue. We average a 9am start time.

BAA  HA HA HA! Apprently shes has NOT seen a school menu lately. Our meals are relaxed I'm just as likely to have a pizza day and a sprouted grains and organic Tofu day LOL but I know the ingredients I know I might make sure shes got a great balanced breakfast adn dinner if we pop a pizza in for Lunch. My child isn't rushed to eat . Her school had then on a 6 minute eatting time limit!

They have physical activity daily at school? DD school did PE ONCE a week they did have recess daily but LOTS of kids lost  part or all sine its was the techers "only" discipline method.. and it was a total of 20 mintues in the morning and maybe another 10 around lunch time.. My HS kid finishes her schooling around noon most days (1pm is been our latest) we do parks shes plays out side we  do big movement games she gets inthe "PE time just fine thanks!

This one I do KINDA see the point of.  but most HS do find that pattern and do just fine and one of the HUGE advantages to HS is we don't need to be diticated completely by the clock..

Deanna

Wife to DH since August 01 mom to a bubbly girl October 2002 and our newest gal March 2010
#5 of 31 Old 01-10-2011, 08:08 AM

lol.  Particularly hilarious as I went to public schools.

They were *filthy* and the food was *garbage* and this was a "good" school in a solidly middle-class area.  Puh-lease.  eyesroll.gif

The person kind of skipped over the whole issue of education entirely.  This is all surface stuff, and irrelevant.

droolgoddess likes this.
#6 of 31 Old 01-10-2011, 10:06 AM

WOWZERS!

1. Keep a clean and NEAT house. No clutter or mess at all. 

I have come to the conclusion that this ould only be possible for me if I took large quantities of some drug that would allow me to never sleep.  BUT since I am NOT doing that, my house is cluttered.  I am alright with this though.  I keep things clean, and my house isn't a biohazard.

What?  I don't get this at all.  We learn everywhere!

Um.  This.sounds.awful.     Why?  What is the point of this?  This sounds like me before I had kids.   Dd and I get up early, but Ds gets up around 9 and that works well.

This one I try to do whole-heartedly, my Ds is really sensitive to certain foods and he just burns through any reserves.
  But in a pinch I have been known to serve pizza rolls.  :)

Jumping on the bed counts, right?

Newp.  We learn all day so we live life and break whenever  (although to echo a pp, I really don't see how anyone can get on the phone and chat with kiddos running around lol.  I actually have to schedule "phone dates" with family and friends!)

Partner to DPshamrocksmile.gif SAHM to DS(8)guitar.gif, DD (4)blahblah.gif, and DD (oct 12) babyf.gifcountry livin', baby-led weaning, homeschooling, co-sleeping family
#7 of 31 Old 01-10-2011, 10:12 AM

What I'd love to know is why the heck is this person posting about homeschooling when she has absolutely NO affiliation with it in the first place? Seriously, what gives her the right/desire/whatever? So strange!

#8 of 31 Old 01-10-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammyw View Post

What I'd love to know is why the heck is this person posting about homeschooling when she has absolutely NO affiliation with it in the first place? Seriously, what gives her the right/desire/whatever? So strange!

Some people assume they are experts on education simply because they went to school. They have expertise in "schooling", but not in education.

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

#9 of 31 Old 01-10-2011, 11:37 AM

Funny! What makes a desk better than a kitchen table I wonder? Is this person providing desks for homework time, super clean house, and nutritious meals for her kids? Answering the phone during homework time?

My list would say:

Mama must love her kids and want the best for them. smile.gif

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#10 of 31 Old 01-10-2011, 12:11 PM

Hilarious!

#11 of 31 Old 01-10-2011, 12:53 PM

The children must each bring money to the kitchen everyday, just like school. They must put it in their pocket and stand in an orderly line.

Mom must wear a hairnet. Must give children option of two different cartons of milk. MUST OFFER MILK IN CARTONS.

Children must then, once lunch is finished, line up at the back door until mom lets them outside for supervised "recess."

luv my 2 sweeties likes this.

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#12 of 31 Old 01-10-2011, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Apparently she posted this "lovely article on FB:  http://www.examiner.com/brooklyn-parenting-in-new-york/homeschooling-is-a-bad-idea

A friend reposted it saying she thought it was horribly biased and ridiculous.  The other girl then commented that she thought it was "very balanced" and "well researched" (really?!).  Those of us with actual experience replied with our 2 cents and actual experiences from our lives.  Having been homeschooled ourselves we found it ridiculous that she would try to tell us what our lives had been like.  She claims to have known some HSers who were "freaks" and nobody wanted to hang out with.  Okay...sure.  Then she posted these 6 things (actually she posted them as 1,2,3,4,4, and % lol).  Mind you this person also says that kids NEED to go to daycare so they can learn to share and "be read to everyday".  irked.gif

#13 of 31 Old 01-10-2011, 01:51 PM

That article is HORRIBLE!!!

<quote>

Homeschooling was originally thought to be a good idea, but recently it has become the subject of late-night comics. Now, it is mostly frowned upon for all but severely disabled children or those otherwise unable to attend school for whatever reason.

</quote>

WHAT THE HECK? Seriously, who are the people who actually have these ridiculous ideas? Please!
#14 of 31 Old 01-10-2011, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

That article is HORRIBLE!!!

<quote>

Homeschooling was originally thought to be a good idea, but recently it has become the subject of late-night comics. Now, it is mostly frowned upon for all but severely disabled children or those otherwise unable to attend school for whatever reason.

</quote>

WHAT THE HECK? Seriously, who are the people who actually have these ridiculous ideas? Please!

Because if a late-night comic jokes about it must be bad!  ROTFLMAO.gif

#15 of 31 Old 01-10-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Apparently she posted this "lovely article on FB:  http://www.examiner.com/brooklyn-parenting-in-new-york/homeschooling-is-a-bad-idea

A friend reposted it saying she thought it was horribly biased and ridiculous.  The other girl then commented that she thought it was "very balanced" and "well researched" (really?!).  Those of us with actual experience replied with our 2 cents and actual experiences from our lives.  Having been homeschooled ourselves we found it ridiculous that she would try to tell us what our lives had been like.  She claims to have known some HSers who were "freaks" and nobody wanted to hang out with.  Okay...sure.  Then she posted these 6 things (actually she posted them as 1,2,3,4,4, and % lol).  Mind you this person also says that kids NEED to go to daycare so they can learn to share and "be read to everyday".  irked.gif

1,2,3,4,4,% while trying to make the point that other people's educations are faulty? Hmm, is that irony or just sad?

I'm tempted to come up with and equally absurd, stereotyped, list of stuff people should do before they send their kids to public school. But I can't think of anything that wouldn't be vicious.

#16 of 31 Old 01-10-2011, 03:04 PM

My kids asked for desks and guess what, they never sit at them!

So, if homeschoolers must have clean and uncluttered homes, what is she saying about those who don't?

What a nutter!

Today my 8 year old asked, "Did people really cut down the rainforest? How could they do that? Isn't that illegal? Why did that happen?

My 8 year old made banana bread all by herself (I helped put the muffins in the oven etc).

And no, I am not a registered dietician or a scientist- yet we still found a way to make very tasty and healthy bread and we discussed some mega topics concerning environmental and social justice.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#17 of 31 Old 01-10-2011, 04:04 PM

good grief!

Leah- mama to Audrey born 12/29/03 and Gwyneth born 4/1/2009! Soon to be TTC #3!
#18 of 31 Old 01-10-2011, 04:25 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

I can see reasons why some of these things are important in school. We do not live our homeschooled lives this way at all. My comments interspersed.

Quote:

Why? In my experience a certain amount of clutter breeds inspiration and creativity -- and efficiency. At schools, yes, clutter can be a problem. When you don't live in the space, and you're sharing one room with 25 other people, clutter can produce chaos. When you live in the space you know where things are even if there's clutter. And it's more efficient to leave the loom in the living room so that the kids can work on it whenever they get the chance than to spend 10 minutes a day collapsing it and tucking it away and then getting it out and set up again. Things that are out get used. Leaving things out gives more time for using them.

Likely important in a school, where kids have no ownership over or responsibility for communal space. In this case having a desk assigned gives one a tiny postage stamp of personal space. At home, common sense and common space are more than sufficient. And far preferable in terms of encouraging co-operation and family responsibility.

Why? Getting up later gives my kids considerably more time with their dad in the evenings. If they were up by 6:30, they'd have to go to bed so early that they'd only see their dad for an hour or two a day at most. Getting up at 9:30 gives them from 6:30 to 11:00 pm every evening as part of a complete family, one which includes dh. Family time is one of the huge boons to homeschooling, IMO.

Perhaps the state should run compulsory child-feeding programs through the summers lest parents fail to meet state standards during June and July. rolleyes.gif

I'm pretty sure our lunches far outweigh school lunches for nutritional value. But I don't cook them. My kids do. My 14-year-old bakes a mean loaf of bread, cooks lovely stuffed baked potatos, pastas and sauces -- basil and tomato sandwiches are his specialty. My 7-year-old can make soup from scratch using fresh ingredients from the garden and the farmer's market. My 12-year-old can cook anything; she's nomming down a bruschetta, basil and mozza grilled panini just now. 

Nutritious meals are just about good parenting, aren't they? For years schools have served crap. Now some are putting effort into serving something a little more like what decent parents would choose. Seems to me that the focus on healthy school lunches is about schools trying to better approximate a caring home environment rather than an institution.

Same deal as meals. This is just good parenting, isn't it? And schools enforcing daily physical activity ... that's just trying to remediate the tendency to have kids sitting at desks all day long, which is an institutional issue. I think that #2, #3 and #5 are actually at odds with each other. If you don't enforce desk work from an early hour all day long, you don't have to remediate the inactivity.

Personally I prefer break time to occur when the kids need it, not at a designated time at all. That quote is dripping with judgment and condescension. 

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#19 of 31 Old 01-10-2011, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

And a note on meals at school: Kids often bring their own bagged lunches from home!  The school could serve the healthiest food on the planet and that would not mean the kids would eat it...in fact...it'd probably make it less likely.  Not only because so many kids shy away from "healthy stuff" but because in order to have better food, they'd need better ingredients, and that means the lunches would cost more and make less likely that poorer families could afford them.  Ultimately a homeschooling family has the same right as any other family to give their child whatever they want to eat.  There is also the fact that so many schools have vending and soda machines....not to mention the highschools that have actual fast food places inside.   My 15-year-old cousin recently tried Chick-Fil-A for the first time at school.  At another local highschool the students walk across an extremely busy highway to get food at McDonald's, Burger King, and KFC.

#20 of 31 Old 01-10-2011, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

has this woman ever been in a school room? good heavens some of them are messy messy messy....

classrooms around here have budget cuts and students work at TABLES with chairs, many times they are banquet type tables with 4-6 students per table *gasp*

due to lack of funding we have block schedules for high school and late start classes. Kids can start at noon time or *gasp* again go during the evening.

this mom does not have the culinary arts ability to produce a meal of the school lunch quality.  I'm not sure I want to learn either.

Physical activity like walking in straight lines, sitting at tables, raising your hand.  I think we have that covered.

Actually the phone rings quite often in the classroom. The front office calls about attendance issues, kids going home, parent callling so there are many many interruptions in the school day.  Also lunch and break time rotates based on the 'six day' schedule for some k-8 schools so its not really designated.

*Gosh that was a fun game... who wants to play next?

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#21 of 31 Old 01-10-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:

OMG this is AWESOME!  It will be so much easier to feed the little monsters each day now that I know that frozen tater tots should be classified as a vegetable because we home school!  Those greasy golden potato nuggets were my FAVORITE part of school lunch when I was a kid and we had them AT LEAST twice a week (when it wasn't a french fry or potato chip day)!  They were the perfect compliment to hot dogs (with added calcium in the form of bone chips) and pizza (which was great because you could pick ANY topping you wanted as long as you picked grease)!

And here I was feeding them fruits and vegetables and stuff.  Pffffft.  Maybe that's why they don't like to sit at their desks.

#22 of 31 Old 01-10-2011, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojobean View Post
  This sounds like me before I had kids.  

yeahthat.gif  ROTFLMAO.gif

Stephanie mom to Brianna (6/00) , Alexander (6/02) , and Ethan (9/07) .
#23 of 31 Old 01-10-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreeblim View Post

It will be so much easier to feed the little monsters each day now that I know that frozen tater tots should be classified as a vegetable because we home school!  

And ketchup. Don't forget that ketchup is a vegetable, too, according to the school lunch plan!!

#24 of 31 Old 01-11-2011, 08:46 AM

SNORT is right! That IS entertaining. I also bet this person needs to pull a stick out their ..... oh you get the idea. LOL

Full-time homeschooling mama : of a 15yo "teenager" , 12yo DIVA, 9yo builder, & 4yo treasure.
#25 of 31 Old 01-11-2011, 09:44 AM

It's a nice goal but is always a work in progress because we have stuff and are here using our stuff. We don't live in a bare room with all our possessions in a locker or cubby. We don't have separate staff to clean and cook and teach and do all the other tasks.

We own 4 desks and dd has a table but we usually end up working at the dining table or sofa anyway. What's the point of this? Is this person saying that homeschoolers would just have to work on the floor if they didn't have a special school desk?

I think there is value in having a regular daily routine or schedule but it definitely doesn't need to start at 6 or 7 AM or match a school schedule at all. I think getting sufficient sleep is more important and learning can happen at any hour of the day or night.

Nutritious meals are important but I don't believe that school lunches are really the gold standard of nutrition. My dd hasn't had pizza rolls for months. ;)

I'd say my dd moves much more than a kid in school because she isn't expected to sit at a desk or stand in line. Getting her to sit still is the challenge.

Whatever. I almost never talk on the phone. We take breaks between every subject. We are done in 3 or 4 hours anyway- usually before lunch time.

This person obviously thinks schools/institutional care are the ideal model for kids in all respects. Does this person even have children?

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#26 of 31 Old 01-11-2011, 09:56 AM

I just looked at the local school's lunch menu. Meat every single day. Things like corn dogs, pizza, hamburgers, mac & cheese, chicken nuggets, fries or tator tots almost every single day. Yeah they didn't have actual pizza rolls on the menu but these are the high government standards for school food that homeschoolers should copy?

If dd were going to school I'd be packing her lunch anyway based on this.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#27 of 31 Old 01-11-2011, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappuccinosmom View Post

lol.  Particularly hilarious as I went to public schools.

They were *filthy* and the food was *garbage* and this was a "good" school in a solidly middle-class area.  Puh-lease.  eyesroll.gif

The person kind of skipped over the whole issue of education entirely.  This is all surface stuff, and irrelevant.

Amen!!! The food at all the schools I went to was just horrifying. It was a good day when there wasn't a roach or what looked like vomit on your plate! And all junk-fries, pizza, cookies, pop...

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#28 of 31 Old 01-12-2011, 09:58 AM

1) Um we do have a clean house, but we do actually LIVE in it all day.  If she wants to play that game I would expect I should be able to eat off her floors any time since she has all day to herself with her kids in school..  (stereotype much!?)

2) Desks?  Does she make her children do all their homework confined to a desk after school or in the kitchen or family room where most kids want to be and learning happens best when you are comfortable.  We will happily continue to school in the kitchen, in front of the fireplace, on a blanket under the shade tree in the front yard, out by the creek with a load of books, or sprawled on my bed, tyvm!   BTW, We picked up desks from the garbage and the kids were interested in them for about a week then never sat in them again, they're long gone.

3) Many ps kids are sleep deprived!  My kids are up at 6:30 am, I never have to wake them up in the mornings. 

4) Um, "nutritious"!!!!????  I would have to come waaaaaaaay down in my standards to feed my children a meal that could compare with the schools pathetic standards of nutrition!  I feed my kids more nutritious meals in a week than most schools would serve in a year!  Oh, and I also don't have vending machines in my house, last time I checked. 

5) Pretty sure she'd be horrified at how much physical activity my kids get- like hours every day!  Oh the horror, they should be at their desks studying their reflections in the perfectly spotless veneer while eating chicken fingers and tater tots and juice with high fructose corn syrup in it! :p

6) Breaks?  You mean a 15 minute recess that when I went to school was enforced no matter how dang cold it was outside, and we would huddle together shivering, desperately waiting for the bell to ring so we could go back inside and escape the -20 windchill? 

What would we do w/o the expertise of non homeschooling parents!!??  And the article she linked to was disgusting, offensive and quite comical, not to mention really poor reporting, she named not one source, not one quote, no studies, no facts, no proof, no evidence whatsoever.  *Whatever*!!

Jewels & Jon (Married 11+ yrs)- Homeschooling, No Circ, BF, CD Mama to:
Alex 8 Gabby 6 (Homeborn!) Gideon 2.... chickens, ducks, cats and a dog
#29 of 31 Old 01-13-2011, 02:27 PM

That's so absurd it's kind of fantastic! biglaugh.gif

It's such a relief to finally trust yourself.
#30 of 31 Old 01-14-2011, 09:34 AM

Moominmama-  Around here they do provide free school lunches at 2 of the local parks and at least one of the schools to anyone under 18 through most of the summer.  We went to it a few times this last summer and the meals were just as scary as I remember them being from public school and every Friday was pizza from a local place that does $5 pizzas.

My son does have a table in his room where he does some of his work so that his younger brothers do not distract him, but most work is done together in the living room or outside.

My house is cluttered/ messy.  My meals vary from quite nutritious to not so nutritious but still better then school food.  My 8 year old son is a night owl and therefore sleeps later then his brothers.  All of my kids get lots of physical activity, both in doors and outdoors.

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page