New...lots of ???? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 01-12-2011, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thinking very much about home schooling.

A little history about us first:

My oldest DD started out preschool in public school. I hated walking in everyday to pick her up and hearing all the horrible language that was used in the hallways (even by 3rd graders) and the pushing and shoving and all the other typical stuff. Also I live in my home town and I dislike the teachers who judge children by their last name.

The kindergarten teacher option at that time was not a good one. I knew she would make my child hate school from the start. Shes one of the main "name" teachers so we started kindergarten at the private catholic school a town over.  We LOVED kindergarten there...the teacher is the best! Shes great and the small setting of 6 kids in a class was great! LOVED IT sooo much.

My oldest DD is now in 1st grade and has gone from a child who LOVED school to a child who has a tummy ache everyday and crys when I drop her off. Ive been told that Im to much of an attachment parent and that I need to let go she is now 6. (um the last time I checked 6 was still a baby not the new 25) She was reading like a pro the end of last year and this year cant seem to even get back to wear she was last year. The teacher told me its normal for kids to "hate" 1st grade its not fun anymore?! I dont think its normal not for someone who used to jump out of bed to get to go to school. So anyway we just got the last report card and she went from a B+ in Language Arts to a C- in one quarter. I got a note home saying how I need to realize that reading at home is very important. Um excuse me...we read at home a lot.

My youngest DD is in Preschool there she likes it but I think its mostly because she has a little friend there that she loves to death. I love the second teacher but the lead teacher is horrible. My gut tells me to never leave her there without the second teacher. The lead is just horribly uptight for a preschool teacher.

I really would like to home school but my husband thinks its weird. There are so many people who do it in our area. I guess I would miss having time to myself but I will have tons of time to myself when they are grown up anyway.

Im not really sure what questions I have maybe just some guidance...Im not crazy for feeling like there is something amiss here in 1st grade?

Im not the most organized person in the world I worry that maybe I couldnt do it.

Whats the best way to go about it? Saying we will try it for a semester and see if it works for us?

Do you plan on hs all the way up to high school or at some point do u think you will send them to school?

I worry about them missing the day to day contact with kids? Is that something you see when you hs?

Thanks for any and all responses

#2 of 2 Old 01-13-2011, 10:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would probe more into why dd cries and has a tummy ache due to school. Need to know if it is a peer issue or is she stressing over the work load.Could even be the teacher.Ofcourse the teacher could be right too.1st is different than K with the work demand. Once you find out what the issues are for dd you can decide what to do.

If your younger does not like her preschool I would switch it. I always disliked putting up with teachers my kids had just because there was no other option.

I don't know how long is long enough to try hs. I want to say a year,but then I know ps did not work after a few months.I know with hs there are many ways to teach and sometimes you have to try a few before you find a good fit...that can take a year.

HSing is becoming common,so if your dh will look into it more he will hopefully see that it is just one of many possible ways parents choose to educate their children.

You can find a lot of curriculum options online.Your library will be a good resource too.No need to make it crazy difficult.I see what my kids come home with from school,and I know I could provide what they need.

The social scene can be an issue.It will be there whether you school or not.My kids never see their classmates outside of school.Not one call during the summer.I would not count on school out of the home to be enough.Lol,once my kids are home they still whine for someone to play with!

I take it year by year.I have done hs,ps,private,and charter.We are currently using private Montessori,but I hope one day to return to hsig the kids. The needs of the child will change.

Best wishes whatever you decide to do!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page