One child in school the other homeschooled...... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-12-2011, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi I am the mom of two boys....one almost 11 and in 5th grade and the other 5 and not yet "a kindergardner". My oldest just started school in November after on and off homeschooling (3.5 years total other than no pre-school), he is back in nd probably there for at least a couple of years if not permanently. My other son has never gone to school and my DH and I don't want him to go.... for some reason I am feeling like this will be a issue, but then when I really give it thought, I think no it is okay. Here is my question for any of you....

Does it work in one family to have some of the kids in school and not the others. It really wasn't my oldest's idea to go to school, but we needed it to happen because things just were not working at home anymore ( a whole other post here). I know that things will work with my youngest and my Dh and I really want him to have the chance to be at home and thrive here. Oldest DS will be okay with him staying home, but I have people in my life that say the family "culture" needs to be either homeschooled or schooled and not a missmash of the two....one things that is great is my oldest DS is in a charter where he goes 4 days a week and I can take him out for vacations in the middle of the year if we choose.

anyone in the same situation? How does it work? any problems? I hope my oldest comes back home sometime...but it is really up to him now...and now he wants to stay in regular school for the duration...

Thank you,

Kathleen

Crazed life-learning Mom to DS 1 Augustus (02/00) and DS 2 Ben (08/05). Love my DH Tony . Full house 5 11 found our "purrfect". Lovin' life!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 01-12-2011, 09:16 PM

Not in your situation, but I know people that are and it seems to work for the few families that I know who do that.  I don't see why it wouldn't work.  My 2nd children has been begging me to go to school, and while it wouldn't work for her to go to school right now or even next year, I did tell her that if the situation is good (we're Army and move frequently) the following year when she's in 2nd grade, I'll let her go.  While my oldest dd says she wants to stay at home forever and never go to school, and I'll honor that.  I think it's good to do what's best for your family and even honor your children's wishes if you feel like they are capable of making such a decision and it's not going to harm them.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#3 of 3 Old 01-13-2011, 11:04 AM

When my dd tried school my younger one wanted to try ps. That is one issue. The other is you have to work around the ps schedule. When my ds was in M and dd home I could not take dd to hs events or swimming when we had to be getting ds.

I don't think it is a big deal. I agree that you should look at the needs of each child,and not pick all or nothing schooling so it is the *same* for everyone.

I am looking at dd hsing again in a few years, and ds will continue with some sort of school outside of the home.I am ok with it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page