Would you still homeschool if it was illegal where you live? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-23-2011, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard View Post

Sorry tho hear about your dilemma! Just replying, really, to say - yey Suriname! It is my land of possible resettlement!

FWIW, I'd homeschool until I would get found out. Then, I'd look at alternatives, which would probably entail a move.

Really? Great to hear I am not the only one! What do you like about it? I have never actually been there but have some friends from there, and speak the language (Dutch).

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2011, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniperBCN View Post

Are you in the EU?  Because that would make mobility a lot easier within the continent.  We're in Spain, and while homeschooling sort of falls into a legal black hole where it is neither explicitly legal or illegal, I feel pretty secure here.  There are numerous legal precedents ruling in favor of homeschooling families and active national and regional organizations. Options like Clonlara are an accepted safety net for people who are uncomfortable with being in a legal limbo. 

We're not in the EU, we're in Serbia. It might be joining the EU in the future, but that is still very unclear.

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
Old 01-23-2011, 11:07 PM

I haven't been there either, but I too speak the language or at least one of them. From what I can gather online and through speaking with people, it is a joyful, peaceful (now anyways), multicultural, relaxed country which is cheap to boot. I hear that about 3000 families from NL are settling there now every year. I'd love to visit. Uitzendinggemist.nl  -- ik vertrek featured a family moving there.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:25 PM

I'm not sure what I would do in your situation. I'd probably do my best to move. I live in Mexico and I'm homeschooling here. I have no idea if it's legal or not (I've heard it's not really regulated at all - if it's illegal, it's not actually enforced). However, the kids don't have any friends here - school and church are the social outlets, and we don't do either. They play with the boy next door occasionally, but it's not a close friendship. Luckily, we live close to San Diego, which has tons of homeschoolers, so that's where they have their friendships. Anyhow, it's cheap to live here and homeschooling has been easy, so I wanted to throw Mexico out as an alternative (also, not nearly as scary as the news would have you believe, at least not where I live.)
Old 01-24-2011, 01:17 AM

colombia is another place i think is affordable to live and it is not regulated. but i think not knowing spanish their could make life very isolating. i imagine in parts of mexico that would be less of a problem.

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

Old 01-24-2011, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard View Post

I haven't been there either, but I too speak the language or at least one of them. From what I can gather online and through speaking with people, it is a joyful, peaceful (now anyways), multicultural, relaxed country which is cheap to boot. I hear that about 3000 families from NL are settling there now every year. I'd love to visit. Uitzendinggemist.nl  -- ik vertrek featured a family moving there.

Are you Dutch? :)

Old 01-24-2011, 03:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post

I'm not sure what I would do in your situation. I'd probably do my best to move. I live in Mexico and I'm homeschooling here. I have no idea if it's legal or not (I've heard it's not really regulated at all - if it's illegal, it's not actually enforced). However, the kids don't have any friends here - school and church are the social outlets, and we don't do either. They play with the boy next door occasionally, but it's not a close friendship. Luckily, we live close to San Diego, which has tons of homeschoolers, so that's where they have their friendships. Anyhow, it's cheap to live here and homeschooling has been easy, so I wanted to throw Mexico out as an alternative (also, not nearly as scary as the news would have you believe, at least not where I live.)

I'm not easily scared ;) - I lived in one of the world's most demonized countries once, and am currently living in another! I heard very, very frightening things about both, bot found both countries to be safe in terms of street crime and such things are concerned. I think South America might be a great fit for us, and we have never been there so that would make a nice change too. I am sorry your son has not made any friends yet, that a shame. How about you? Did you make any friends? We don't currently attend any organized religious services either, so we might be in the same boat. I have always found I make a few friends from language classes when I move to a new country. Do you speak the language fluently? How is the job market?

My requirements are:

- Great civil liberties or at least non-regulated

- Friendly to one-parent/queer families

- Cheap. Over here, we could survive off $1,000 quite comfortably, what is the cost of living over there?

- I work from home, but would welcome job opportunities locally as well. Are there any?

Frankly, I am done with being the outsider, and I don't want to move someplace where it will be even worse. I'd like to not be discriminated against because of my ethnicity, parenting choices, or family make-up. Is that feasible? This thread has been quite eye-opening. I loved this country before I had kids, but it has become increasingly difficult. My 4 yo already very much sees this country has HER country, and is hurt by comments to the contrary. I think moving might be difficult for her, but maybe not. In any case, I would like both my kids to simultaneously be able to be themselves, and to be accepted into society.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_daba View Post

colombia is another place i think is affordable to live and it is not regulated. but i think not knowing spanish their could make life very isolating. i imagine in parts of mexico that would be less of a problem.

I heard Colombia is very cheap too. That sounds nice. Paraguay is also cheap, I think, and beautiful. I don't speak Spanish, but can learn.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:57 AM

I'm not  homeschooling parnent, so I won't reply as to what I'd do as my child is in public school...

However, I was homeschooled in the '80's. It was less accepted, and altho legal, many people didn't know it was, so my family got reported a few times.

It was horrible. I lived in fear of social services. What made it hard was my parents' stance that they would homeschool no matter what. Even if my brother and i ended up in foster care. I don't get that-if our kids get taken away, they will be sent to school anyhow, and won't have their family there for support.

So, altho I don't think homeschooling should be illegal, subjecting your child to that kind of fear is absolutely inexcusable.  I was in an abusive home and was scared of being taken away...I can't imagine how scary it would be to have to fear that an otherwise loving parent parent would rather be taken from you, (or have you taken) than send you to school.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:34 AM

--Are you Dutch? :)

Born, raised, escaped :)

Old 01-24-2011, 09:49 AM

i have family (who happen to be teachers one a school teacher) in colombia i will ask them about cost of living and homophobia. they live in bogota which i don't think is a particularly pretty or nice place but thee are many really beautiful smaller towns.

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

Old 01-25-2011, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If the fine something you can swing? If you know you can afford to pay it, I would homeschool until you can't.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 01-26-2011, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter

Yes. It's currently around $700 - not a lot. But the thing is, there's nothing in the law regulating the regularity of the fines. The person I know who homeschooled for three years got fines around three times a year. Still A LOT, LOT cheaper than paying for a reasonably good private school. I'm not afraid of the fines, but I don't want to go to jail. As a solo mom, I can't do that, you know?

User Tag List