What websites does your 4-8yo like? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 01-25-2011, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 6yo son has liked pbskids.org for a long time... but I suspect there are some others out there that we don't know about.  We tried the free trial of pbskids Play! and he really liked it, but I didn't want to pay a subscription.  What do your kids like?

#2 of 14 Old 01-25-2011, 09:26 AM

Kidzui, Starfall, kidshealth.org

#3 of 14 Old 01-25-2011, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
#4 of 14 Old 01-25-2011, 09:50 PM

Hi op, how's it going? (The last time I tried to pm you, your mailbox was full.)

My guy likes youtube. He watches a lot of How It's Made type videos as well as Betty Crocker. He goes to starfall.com as a default when I won't let him have more screen time (typically he only gets screen time during his sister's nap but I'll let him watch starfall beyond that.)

I don't want him doing too much more online at this point. However, in another year or two I plan on trying out www.cosmeo.com. It's $10 a month, but from the time I spent looking over their site I think it could be well worth it.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#5 of 14 Old 01-26-2011, 06:48 AM

Wiglington and Wenks, Zon, YouTube and KidsTube, Lego, Game Ninja

#6 of 14 Old 01-26-2011, 06:51 AM
AAK

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

The free ones include:

http://www.starfall.com/

http://www.poissonrouge.com/

http://www.sproutonline.com/sprout/home/

http://www.toytheater.com/index.php  (plainer looking, but some great simple games esp under the math tab)

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#7 of 14 Old 01-26-2011, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much to each of you!

SundayCrepes... my box should be open now... i wiped a bunch of stuff out.  We are well!

#8 of 14 Old 01-26-2011, 07:55 AM

My 5yo DS loves Up to Ten.  Thousands of free, gentle games, some stories.  Seems to be translated from French, so sometimes a few words/phrasings are a little off from standard American English, but it's not a problem for us. 

#9 of 14 Old 01-26-2011, 10:51 AM

My son LOVES coolmath.com. He is addicted to the Bloons Tower Defense game (ok, I've tried it, too and it is really cool... and they do spell it "Bloons" for some reason)!

Beth )O( Homeschooling Mama to blahblah.gif DS (7) luxlove.gif DD (5) and sleepytime.gif DS (1) & #4 on the way in October!!! love.gif
 homebirth.jpgecbaby2.giffemalesling.GIFbf.jpgsewmachine.gifrainbow1284.gifnovaxnoIRC.gifphotosmile2.gif

#10 of 14 Old 01-26-2011, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

www.funbrain.com

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#11 of 14 Old 02-01-2011, 06:35 PM

Starfall is fun.  He's getting into Timez Attack which is a free download (impressive graphics and tracks progress!) for learning multiplication.  Another favorite is shepphardsoftware.com.  He is a little bit obsessed with maps, and this website is what triggered that love for geography.  After 3 years, he still absolutely adores anything map-related.

#12 of 14 Old 02-05-2011, 12:37 PM

Has anyone tried the paid membership for starfall? Is it worth it. It is only $35 for the year and the free ones you can get to my son likes...What do you think?

AP, Homeschooling, Part-Time working mom with 3 rambunctious boys fencing.gifbabyf.gifall born with love at home. (04 & 08 & 12).

#13 of 14 Old 02-07-2011, 09:09 PM

My son loves Zoodles. It's an add on for Firefox, but I'm pretty sure you can get it for other browsers. I like it too because even the free version tells me which sites he's really enjoying and what areas he's focusing on. Right now (3 yo, 1 mo) he is focusing on his ABC's by himself. He loves starfall, which he accesses through Zoodles. If he tries to go outside the browser, it won't let him. I like it, too.

intactivist.gifwinner.jpg fambedsingle2.gif  learning.gif homeschool.gif buddamomimg1.png gd.gif delayedvax.gif selectivevax.gif  supermod.gif (Yeah right)

angel3.gif loss 2/28/03           photosmile2.gif  ds 1/5/08             asl.gif dd 2/8/10

When we know better, we do better. ~Maya Angelou 

#14 of 14 Old 02-08-2011, 11:11 AM

we just found www.brainpopjr.com  It costs money, but we are doing the free trial right now. 

Mama to ds#1 (7) and a ds#2 (1 1/2)
Homebirth midwife

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page