Mothering Forum banner

Nature Book/Study Recommendations for Preschoolers?

696 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  toweringpine 
#1 ·
We've just started working into a little homeschool preschool schedule with DS and he (and I!) are really interested in nature. With several feet of snow on the ground over here it's been a bit tough to do what we really want to do which is go for a tromp in the woods. We've been reading several picture books about winter/seasons including Sybille Von Olfers "Mother Earth & Her Children", which has my son interested in all the things going on under the snow right now. Any recommendations on good nature books/books that encourage nature study (or curricula?) for this age group?

Thanks!

#3 ·
We have several books I bought from the bargain bins at Barnes and Noble. They are meant for much older ages (I bought them when I was pre vet), but full of pictures and facts. She looks at the pictures and asks questions about the pictures and I read (in a way she can understand) what the book says. So far it's opened up a lot of discussion about animals and habitats. She brings up what she's learned throughout the day, so I know it's sinking in.

#4 ·
We love, love, love, LOVE One Small Square Series. They are incredible. There's a ton of information stuffed in each book and you can pick the books that are relevant to whatever your child is interested in at the time. Over the summer, my DD took a trip to the desert to visit my grandfather, and I picked up Cactus Desert before we left. She really enjoyed having a book tie-in about her experiences.

We now have ALL of the books.

Then there's the Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science
series. Our current favorites are Animals in Winter, Baby Whales Drink Milk and How Animal Babies Stay Safe! There's a wide range of topics from hibernation to the night sky to the seasons and classification.

AND there's a set of nature/science books by Robert E. Wells
. They're a bit more abstract but still concrete. Does that make sense? LOL

#5 ·
Is there a nature center nearby where you live? I would check that first, a lot of times local nature centers will have regular kid's classes for pretty cheap, and the kiddo's adore them. As far as curricula we like Oak Meadow, their science lessons are very nature based and my kid's love that. Charlotte Mason is also very nature based.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.