Nature Book/Study Recommendations for Preschoolers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-31-2011, 03:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We've just started working into a little homeschool preschool schedule with DS and he (and I!) are really interested in nature. With several feet of snow on the ground over here it's been a bit tough to do what we really want to do which is go for a tromp in the woods. We've been reading several picture books about winter/seasons including Sybille Von Olfers "Mother Earth & Her Children", which has my son interested in all the things going on under the snow right now. Any recommendations on good nature books/books that encourage nature study (or curricula?) for this age group?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 01-31-2011, 08:25 AM

A lot of this may be too advanced, but should give you a good starting place:

http://handbookofnaturestudy.blogspot.com/

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#3 of 6 Old 01-31-2011, 08:39 AM

We have several books I bought from the bargain bins at Barnes and Noble.  They are meant for much older ages (I bought them when I was pre vet), but full of pictures and facts.  She looks at the pictures and asks questions about the pictures and I read (in a way she can understand) what the book says.  So far it's opened up a lot of discussion about animals and habitats.  She brings up what she's learned throughout the day, so I know it's sinking in.  

Homeschooling Mama to DD dust.gif and one angel3.gif.  
TTC #2.  Hoping to adoptionheart-1.gif !

#4 of 6 Old 01-31-2011, 09:04 AM

We love, love, love, LOVE One Small Square Series. They are incredible.  There's a ton of information stuffed in each book and you can pick the books that are relevant to whatever your child is interested in at the time.  Over the summer, my DD took a trip to the desert to visit my grandfather, and I picked up Cactus Desert before we left.  She really enjoyed having a book tie-in about her experiences.

We now have ALL of the books. 

Then there's the Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science series.    Our current favorites are Animals in Winter, Baby Whales Drink Milk and How Animal Babies Stay Safe! There's a wide range of topics from hibernation to the night sky to the seasons and classification.

AND there's a set of nature/science books by Robert E. Wells. They're a bit more abstract but still concrete.  Does that make sense?  LOL

R~Mama to my sweet A 7//07 & bubbly Z 3/12

AND belly.gif due 9/13

#5 of 6 Old 01-31-2011, 09:12 AM

Is there a nature center nearby where you live? I would check that first, a lot of times local nature centers will have regular kid's classes for pretty cheap, and the kiddo's adore them. As far as curricula we like Oak Meadow, their science lessons are very nature based and my kid's love that. Charlotte Mason is also very nature based.

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnamaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcrochetsmilie.gifblahblah.gifenergy.gifgoorganic.jpggd.gifteapot2.GIFbftoddler.giffamilybed2.gif

#6 of 6 Old 02-01-2011, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks - these are GREAT resources. Sadly the nature center near us doesn't seem to do little kid programs, but these will give me good ideas of things we can do at home.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page