Anyone's kids study Latin? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 02-01-2011, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I'm interested in doing some Latin with my kids, 7 and possibly my 5 yo also

What do you use and what would you recommend?

I did several years of latin starting with the Cambridge Latin Course (then translating various very dead texts) but I was older, about 12 when I started.

Raising Geek_Generation_2.0 :LET ds= 10 ; LET dd1= ds - 2; LET dd2=dd-2; IF month=0.67 THEN LET ds = ds+1; 
#2 of 19 Old 02-01-2011, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter enjoyed Minimus when she was younger.  She is 12 now and taking a high school Latin class from Lone Pine Classical and loving it!  I've also heard a program called Lively Latin mentioned for the younger set, but I haven't looked at it.  

My daughter also did a homeschool group activity with English From the Roots Up.  It teaches a bunch of Latin and Greek roots.  

#3 of 19 Old 02-01-2011, 07:54 AM

We used Latina Christiana at that age, and then besides taking online classes we also used Henle Latin.

wife of 8 years to DH geek.gif, mama to DD blahblah.gif (2006) & DS jog.gif (2011) angel1.gif (Dec. 2012) rainbow1284.gif due Nov. 2013 

vbac.gifh20homebirth.gif cd.gif homeschool.gif

#4 of 19 Old 02-01-2011, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I'm doing Song School Latin with my 7 and 4 year olds. It's a very light, gentle introduction, but it seemed the best option for two young-ish kids with short attention spans who aren't reading well yet. If it had just been the 7 year old, I might have chosen something a little more advanced.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#5 of 19 Old 02-01-2011, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I did a little Latin with my older children, wish I had done more. I plan to do much more with younger children, but later. I am not starting yet.

#6 of 19 Old 02-01-2011, 09:54 AM

My kids are 2 months-10 years and really like Song School Latin so far. Very catchy. I plan on starting Lively Latin next school year with the older kids.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#7 of 19 Old 02-01-2011, 06:30 PM

My 5 y.o. is studying Latin.  We alternate lessons between Song School Latin (my 2 year old has memorized the songs!) which is a nice fun introduction.  SSL is conversational Latin.  We alternate SSL with Getting Started with Latin.  I wasn't sure about GSWL because it's black & white--not "fun."  Color and flash is pretty important to ds.  Well, he actually prefers GSWL.  He LOVES the challenge of translations.  Between lessons (we don't do Latin every day), we use quizlet.com as a fun game and the Charlotte Mason memory method for remembering vocabulary. 

When we finish GSWL and SSL, I plan to start on Latin for Children if ds is wanting to continue.  If not, we'll probably do Science Roots at some point in the future to make higher level science a little easier.

#8 of 19 Old 02-01-2011, 06:47 PM

I'm doing Song School Latin with my 7yo and Latin for Children A with my 10yo.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#9 of 19 Old 02-01-2011, 07:14 PM

We do SSL here. Next year, we're moving on to Minimus. :)

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#10 of 19 Old 02-01-2011, 08:35 PM

We did Song School Latin last year (DD was 6), and it was a fun, gentle introduction. Next year we'll be starting Lively Latin in 3rd.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#11 of 19 Old 02-01-2011, 09:17 PM

We are doing Latina Christiana the very 1st book. We started with Getting Started with Latin and did very well for about 20 lessons then it just advanced too quickly for my 9 yr old:).

#12 of 19 Old 02-02-2011, 02:50 PM

Wow, it's been awhile since I was here, everything looks different! :)

Yes, we started Latin at age 5 with Song School Latin. Just today we're bumping it up a notch by also adding Getting Started With Latin. After we finish SSL, we'll try Minimus while keeping with GSWL. In about a year or so, we'll start Lively Latin, which is a bit on the early side, but I really like the looks of that program (integrating history and grammar).

- Angela
mama homeschooling Satori, dd6 in the beautiful CO Rockies
#13 of 19 Old 02-02-2011, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all suggestions

just ordered minimus from amazon, will report back on it. From website, looks pretty good, and I think it then leads to the Cambridge Latin Course which I know is good. Will report back when we've had a go!

Raising Geek_Generation_2.0 :LET ds= 10 ; LET dd1= ds - 2; LET dd2=dd-2; IF month=0.67 THEN LET ds = ds+1; 
#14 of 19 Old 02-03-2011, 06:28 PM

You're going to love Minimus, Filly! :)

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#15 of 19 Old 02-05-2011, 06:19 AM

We're just starting Song School Latin. My two are only little but my 20 month old loves to listen to "shongs" and 4.5 year old DD has memorised the songs from the first lesson already. I think it's a lovely gentle introduction. We also have minimus to move onto when we feel ready although if DD really "gets into" Latin we may skip it and choose something meatier instead.

Grateful mama striving to respect the two precious beings entrusted to me DD '06 and DS '09
#16 of 19 Old 02-05-2011, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Just got Minimus this morning! It does look really good. Its a very gentle introduction to Latin, IMO, which was what I was after. I would say, for anyone moving onto Minimus after anything else before...it is VERY basic for a 7 year old.

There are three things I really like about it. First, it is exactly right in terms of interest for my kids. Its very home-based, family based. The stories are very gentle. For anyone unfamiliar with the Cambridge Latin Course...the first series ends in carnage when Vesuvius erupts, and actually its quite emotional (insofar as first year Latin can be ;-) ). Its also a bit unexpected, it goes from happy tales of gamboling in the garden to nuclearesq holocaust. Which would, I think, be a bit much for mine at this age.

Second, it integrates the history really well, much better than the CLC (to be fair, I think the CLC is meant to run alongside class civ lessons)

Finally-and this is specifically great for me-its set in Britain, not that far from where my extended family live. So we have potential to actually go and see vinodolana! 

Have had a look at song school also and did like the look of it. I think they have some great resources for when things get a bit more serious. My concern with it was that it didn't seem so rooted in  history. Is this fair, do you think?

#17 of 19 Old 02-05-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillyjonk View Post

Have had a look at song school also and did like the look of it. I think they have some great resources for when things get a bit more serious. My concern with it was that it didn't seem so rooted in  history. Is this fair, do you think?

Yes. SSL focuses entirely on everyday, modern application. There's an occasional "Latin Saying" included, but not with much in the way of historical context.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#18 of 19 Old 02-07-2011, 05:37 AM

Ah, that was what I really liked about SSL.

Grateful mama striving to respect the two precious beings entrusted to me DD '06 and DS '09
#19 of 19 Old 02-09-2011, 06:39 PM

We are doing Getting Started With Latin with 11yo ds.  He really likes it and does a few lessons at a time with Dad.  He has actually become mildly obsessive about Latin and looks for more info on his own.

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page