Language Learning - Mothering Forums

#1 of 19 Old 02-06-2011, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'd like my DS to be exposed to other languages.  However, the language programs for young children are pretty much all oral.  He won't go for that.  He haaaaaaates to sing - he doesn't understand how to sing.  He will not just listen and repeat.  He works much better with something he can read (he reads extremely well) - but also something that's fun and audio-visual/interactive.  Computer-based would be good.  Probably what I'm looking for doesn't exist, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Kim
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mama to DS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

12/2005, Pepper kitty
, and
10/03,
1/05;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 02-06-2011, 08:24 AM

what language are you looking for?  hooked on phonics does computer language programs i think... i havent looked into them enough to know what they are about, but they are geared towards kids.  also, look for slangmans world and david burke books...?

#3 of 19 Old 02-06-2011, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Starting with Spanish would be good, as I already know it myself.  Then later if that works out, transitioning into French or German perhaps.

Kim
mama to DS

12/2005, Pepper kitty
, and
10/03,
1/05;

#4 of 19 Old 02-06-2011, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Try the kids activities associated with the Spanish languages pages associated with tv.... We're in Spain and RTVE http://www.rtve.es/infantil/ has games and videos, Disney has a Spanish language page and I'm sure nearly every Spanish speaking country has tv stations with similar options, depending on which accent you're most comfortable with.  My kids are trilingual (thanks to a multilingual household) and I can't imagine trying to have made that happen through singing... language needs to appear in a wide variety of contexts and be really alive... get a hold of games, bring in books from amazon or something, find some interesting web content and add some video type stuff.  Watch DVDs he already knows with the Spanish language option, put on Spanish closed captions, label stuff in your house, go places where people are using Spanish to communicate, google videos for food prep in Spanish and follow along (if your level is up to it), do science experiments in Spanish, eat lunch on Tuesdays in Spanish, listen to Spanish language music when you're washing the dishes, speak to your pets and plants exclusively in Spanish, play soccer in Spanish, check out sports teams... be creative!  Make it something useful or appealing.... are you using Spanish? How do you maintain your level?  Modeling is powerful!  If your son is actually interested (important!), he should be able to flow right along with you. Kids are amazing!

Just wanted to add the PBS kids Island literacy stuff is available in Spanish too http://pbskids.org/island/play.html?sp.  I haven't actually used it as I use pbs to reinforce English in my household

#5 of 19 Old 02-06-2011, 06:06 PM

i've been thinking about this too. my boys are VERY interested in learning languages. they are making up their own in addition to using the little bits of spanish i (and diego, lol) have taught them. i'm not fluent, or even close to it, but i'd love for them to learn, now, when they want to and their brains are able to grasp it so easily. i have been toying with the idea of finding someone who speaks spanish and seeing about trading a meal or something for some lessons every week.

~helen~ mama to 5 yo twins jonas and micah and my 2 yo baby boy eli
#6 of 19 Old 02-06-2011, 08:02 PM

He might enjoy the Usborne "First Thousand Words in .... " books. They won't help with grammar, but will provide lots of kid-friendly vocabulary for working with grammar learned from other sources. http://www.amazon.com/Usborne-First-Thousand-Words-Spanish/dp/074602309X has a look inside option so you can see what they're like. I really like that they associate the word with a picture instead of with an English word (although one-for-one translations are in the back of the book so you can confirm that the picture is what you think it is. =D )

You should definitely also get him spoken exposure. A lot of popular movie DVDs come with Spanish dubs, and many also have Spanish subtitles. The combination would be particularly helpful to see sentence structure and expose him to stuff outside your family life. At home you could focus on vocabulary related to one specific activity, e.g. dinner, bath, and switch to Spanish for that.

There are also dozens of Spanish-language literature in most libraries. Doesn't sound like much, but compared to the 3 or 4 or 0 books in other non-English languages, 100 odd books is quite a selection.

You will likely find the various books on raising bilingual children useful. There's a thread over in multicultural families about that with recommendations. You have a number of advantages going for you in regards to your DS learning Spanish.

#7 of 19 Old 02-06-2011, 09:10 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)

At the risk of stating the obvious, Rosetta Stone sounds like it would fit the bill. Pricey but worth every penny if it's used consistently.

Miranda

Mountain mama to one great kid and three great grown-ups
#8 of 19 Old 02-06-2011, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)

LOL I was just coming here to post the same thing. I only speak English but did take some French classes in high school (although I've forgotten most of it) and I know a few Spanish words but only very basic common knowledge ones. My dh actually works with quite a few people that speak Spanish and he's wanting to learn it for easier conversations at work since some of the guys don't speak much English. I want the kids to learn Spanish. It's a very common language and is becoming more common in America so knowing it would open a lot more opportunities for them. I also just really want them to speak more than one language. I've been looking for free online resources and have found a few that seem okay although I'm just starting to look around and haven't used many of them yet (other than me browsing the site resources). 123teachme seems pretty good and has a Spanish for kids section. My kids are really young and don't read yet. DD is just starting to learn.

For us right now I just plan to start replacing some basic around the house words and phrases with Spanish. Things like saying I'm hungry or thirsty. Manners like please, thank you, etc. One of the lessons they are about to start is calendars - learning the days of the week, months, etc. I'm getting my materials ready for them and will be teaching them the Spanish words at the same time as English. I think this may work well for my kids for now since they are so young. I hate to get into trying to teach them anything too complicated but I think if we learn some basic Spanish then I can teach them more later (as I learn it lol). I'm not sure if that would work for you or not but it's just a suggestion. Should be very easy for you to do if you already speak Spanish.

Michelle

mom to DD
, DS
, & lil DD
and
spending my days

#9 of 19 Old 02-07-2011, 06:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I agree with Miranda. Rosetta Stone sounds like exactly what you need. You can get a demo from them on the website. They sent us a disc. My kids love it, now we're just saving up the money!

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#10 of 19 Old 02-07-2011, 07:06 AM

You might check your local library resources.  Ours recently added access to Mango languages http://www.mangolanguages.com/ which you might like.  You might also try Live Mocha - it is free and somewhat formatted like Rosetta Stone - http://www.livemocha.com/  It has the capability to chat with native speakers.  This can be a downside with a kid.  They are strangers from all over, and you may not want them 'friending' everyone who asks.  However, if you could find someone you know in real life it could be a great feature.  

Trying out some free options may at least give you an idea of what format will work best for you!

#11 of 19 Old 02-07-2011, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I was not impressed by livemocha and can't figure it out. Am I the only one?

It doesn't start until summer for next semester, but: http://www.gw.edu/seminars/69.php

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#12 of 19 Old 02-07-2011, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for all the great ideas!  That Rosetta Stone looks interesting...and expensive.  I'll see if he's interested in the demo.  It looks like there are some other resources out there, too.  Those could be used to supplement Rosetta, or instead of it if he's not interested.  Having him learn from a computer one way or another might work, as every time I try to speak to him in Spanish, he freaks out, covers his ears and tells me to stop.  eyesroll.gif  (Pretty much the same reaction I get when I try to sing in English.)  He's already gone through both levels of the Hooked on Phonics Spanish and he liked it, but really that's just a few word sets.

Kim
mama to DS

12/2005, Pepper kitty
, and
10/03,
1/05;
#13 of 19 Old 02-07-2011, 01:05 PM

I recommend you buy all 5 levels at once if you are committed to home schooling and Spanish.  It's really the better buy.

My son was born 1/05 and started Rosetta Stone LA Spanish last April, so not a big age difference that if your son started now.  We don't do the writing lessons but we can go back and do them.  We also haven't cracked the disk of worksheets or the audio companion, but I need to do that too.  I have found -- check off 2 regular lessons or 1 core is a good dose per school day. 

#14 of 19 Old 02-07-2011, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Yes I was looking at the 5 levels.  He was really enjoying the demo.  (I guess it's okay for everyone else to speak another language and to sing, but apparently it's just not ok for me to do so lol.gif)  Do you have the homeschool version or the personal version?  What is the difference, other than the parent management/curriculum planning utilities?  Is there anywhere in there they have the student speak the language?  The demo didn't have anything like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpokey View Post

I recommend you buy all 5 levels at once if you are committed to home schooling and Spanish.  It's really the better buy.

My son was born 1/05 and started Rosetta Stone LA Spanish last April, so not a big age difference that if your son started now.  We don't do the writing lessons but we can go back and do them.  We also haven't cracked the disk of worksheets or the audio companion, but I need to do that too.  I have found -- check off 2 regular lessons or 1 core is a good dose per school day. 

Kim
mama to DS

12/2005, Pepper kitty
, and
10/03,
1/05;
#15 of 19 Old 02-07-2011, 09:31 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)

I think that with the current version the only difference is the student reports and multi-student curriculum management. 

Yes, there's a fairly robust oral component with speech recognition. It works pretty well, even with my youngest's chirpy little voice. 

miranda

Mountain mama to one great kid and three great grown-ups
#16 of 19 Old 02-09-2011, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

bit off the wall here but if he doesn't like oral work, have you considered an ancient language?

my kids have just started Latin (we're using Minimus) and they really enjoy it. Although I've studied various ancient languages, I don't think that's necessary to do this course. 

We went for Latin in the end because a) we are just not linguists really b) we were really struggling to get our kids consistent exposure to any language in a class we felt worked for us all and c) Latin in particular is a good base for the 3 languages our kids are probably most likely to choose to learn in the future (French, Spanish and Welsh)

Raising Geek_Generation_2.0 :LET ds= 10 ; LET dd1= ds - 2; LET dd2=dd-2; IF month=0.67 THEN LET ds = ds+1; 
#17 of 19 Old 02-11-2011, 02:56 AM

Yes they do have to speak at the computer.  I set the speech recognition on easy at this age.  For me I'd put it on  normal.

#18 of 19 Old 02-16-2011, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I like Discovery Streaming's Elemental Spanish. If you sign up through the Homeschool Buyer's Co-op, Discovery Streaming is only about $150/year. The Elemental Spanish program goes from a 1st grade level up through 6th or 8th grade. The only singing in the 1st/2nd grade level is a hello and good-bye song, which could easily be skipped. They're not necessary AT ALL, lol. The program comes with printable teachers guides and worksheets. If he's more advanced, there's a different Spanish program on Discovery Streaming called Educacion Espanol (I think that's what it's called, anyway). It has a lot more info for reading. You could just print out the worksheets and TM from that one, if you wanted. I think you can get a 30 day free trial of Discovery Streaming on their website, then if you liked it you could sign up through the HSBC. DD loves Elementary Spanish. :)

#19 of 19 Old 03-23-2011, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Just thought I'd update you all on what I found.  Visual Link Spanish looks like it will be even better than Rosetta Stone and DS likes doing it with me :)  There are a few free lessons online at: http://www.learnspanishtoday.com/free_vocabulary.htm.  You can get it from Amazon.com at a good price.

Kim
mama to DS

12/2005, Pepper kitty
, and
10/03,
1/05;

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page