Need advice.. pulling kid out of school sooner than later. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-07-2011, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello...

Due to a bullying issue at my son's school, I intend to pull him out and go back to homeschooling. I don't really blame the school, I think they've done about as much as they can do, and my two daughters are not having the same issue he has been. Problem is, it's really hurting him, and it's been an issue for a few years now. He is only 10. I have always thought he was better off being homeschooled, that it just suited his learning style and his personality better.

Problem is, I haven't done any homeschooling since he was 6 or so. He started public school in the second grade and is currently in 5th. I'm not really sure how to go about pulling him out of school mid-year, or how to put together a second semester curriculum. We've done sonlight in the past, but at this point I can't really afford it.

Thank you :)

<3

#2 of 7 Old 02-07-2011, 08:11 PM

I'm not sure what state you're in, but to my knowledge, you can simply withdraw him (as you would if you were moving to another state) and then you have a grace period to file your intent to homeschool with the district.

You can figure out the homeschool curriculum after you've done those things, unless your state law requires that you file lesson plans. But be sure that you are complying with the LAW, not with random "requirements" the district may try to tack on.

As for homeschooling on a tight budget, many homeschoolers are in your shoes. My best suggestion is to use free online and library resources. Check out Math Mammoth (not free, but quite inexpensive) etc.

DS1: 2/02 ROTFLMAO.gif DD: 9/04 blahblah.gif DS2: 9/07jog.gif and EDD: 11/13 belly.gif

#3 of 7 Old 02-08-2011, 09:24 AM

If bullying is the issue keep him home while you file the letter of intent and drop it off at the office where notifications go. I pulled my ds due to bullying in K,and I told the school he would not return while paperwork was processed due to the lack of safety.Ofcourse they ticked away the days as truant,but I had almost 2 weeks before he was officially truant.

You can pick up textbooks at the library,and there is plenty of material online.Look online to see a basic listing of curriculum material for your district or state. No need to overload him just get basics done.

You can look into online schooling if that is an interest,but I would not recommend second semester sign up because they start kids at the beginning of the year material!

#4 of 7 Old 02-08-2011, 09:28 AM

What does he think about it? Does he want to homeschool? If he wants to stop going to that school, I would certainly let him.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#5 of 7 Old 02-08-2011, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

He wants to homeschool. We talked about it towards the end of last year and agreed to finish the year and if he still wanted to homeschool, we would find a way to do it. Summer goes by, and he says he wants to try school again... it went well for a little while, but the issue has crept up again, and the last time we spoke about it, he vented his frustrations about it to me. How even if he tells the teacher when it happens, it doesn't change anything, etc.

I am hesitant to pull him and THEN figure out how to file because of issues I've had in the past with the state. (Long story, long past, pretty sure it's in my post history if anyone cares to look.) They already look at me funny any time one of my children is late to anything. I just want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row, so to speak.

#6 of 7 Old 02-08-2011, 11:14 AM

File first then.  You can do it.  smile.gif

I think lots of kids hem and haw on whether to go to school or not.  It is a huge decision - and maybe one that is too large for some of them?  Bullying that cannot be resolved is a good reason to HS, even enough of a reason to insist someone HS, IMHO.

#7 of 7 Old 02-09-2011, 07:30 PM
AAK

Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Depending on what materials your school uses, you might get a bunch of curriculum when you clean out his desk.  Our school district is the opposite of green.  They used disposable workbooks for just about every subject.  They came home with my dd when I wd her mid year in third grade.  We are now doing fifth grade and you don't (I repeat DON'T) need a lot of $$$.  Find out from his teacher (if you can) where they left off with social studies and science and what was left to cover.  In our district they rotated the subjects, so when I pulled my dd out, they were technically done with science for the year.  We still did science, but I wouldn't have felt guilty skipping it if it was a subject she hated. 

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page