Kindergarden -- what were your main goals? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 02-10-2011, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

we are failrly relaxed about academics; Big Brother is starting to read and does math in his head.

he is a late Birthday and is tencially Kindy age this fall (just before tunring 6).

we already 'offically homeschool' since he had ST via the school so his IEP has him dual enrolled.

we are not looking for much for kindy for the fall -- he is a boy, he is young and he is immature.

but I am jsut trying to keep myself in line, and have been thinkings about our 'offical plans for kindy" (LOL)

I wanted to hear how others straddled the "not pushing academically" but providing structure and starting off well "fence"

Aimee

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#2 of 29 Old 02-10-2011, 06:19 PM

Well, I'm going to focus on increasing imagination, living deeper in the seasons, and more detailed and varied crafting.  I plan on using Little Acorn Learning to do this, so not academic at all.

annettemarie likes this.

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
#3 of 29 Old 02-11-2011, 12:50 PM

we read a lot in kindergarten & had a lot of fun!  

my only real academic goals were the following (but we may be more structured than you - so this isn't necessary by any means):

write & recognize all letters upper case & lower case (i use HWT)

write & recognize numbers 1-10

write full name 

introduction to basic math (I used making math meaningful)

tell time on the hour

simple blending (learning to read basic CVC words like cat, etc)

often more is covered, but if my kids knew just this, i felt we were doing fine & on track for what i wanted to accomplish. hth.

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#4 of 29 Old 02-11-2011, 01:02 PM

DD is 5 (this past Dec was her bday) so next year really is when it starts. But the preschool stuff is so easy for her. She knows her ABc's and sounds, how to write them, etc. We are just "perfecting" it by having her rewrite the the letters and tracing. She gets relaxed about it and kind of lazy. I make her do it for a few minutes, but don't push her to that burn out point. She can write her first name "Joy".She fell in love with addition and can do that up to 10. But next year we are going to focus more in depth in reading, subraction, telling time, art and music, read more about the solar system (she really really enjoys that), tying (or is it tieing) her shoes, character training, how to deal with problems/ stress (ie not screaming when someone takes a toy, come tell mommy and lets talk to the person together). We are working on a lot of the non academic stuff right now and its a slow but steady process.

At the end of next school year I will be happy if she is beginning to tell time, read, doing her own shoes, and is secure in herself.

Mama to DD(6) DS(4) DD(2.5)LO(due July 2012): and loving wife to my great DH
I praise and thank God for my familychicken3.gif

#5 of 29 Old 02-12-2011, 03:01 PM

I just bought our kindy stuff, Aimee, so I thought I'd post here what I foresee we'll be doing just to maybe give you some ideas as well as to take the pressure off of you feeling like you have to academics in kindy.  Blessings! http://canticlesbycandlelight.wordpress.com/2011/02/12/kindergarten-ready-set-go/ 

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
#6 of 29 Old 02-12-2011, 03:10 PM

My main goal with my kindergartener is to have him recognize all of his letters and start reading small words.  Also to have him doing basic addition and writing his numbers.

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#7 of 29 Old 02-12-2011, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

thanks eveyone!!!!

it is a struggle -- he is 2e -- and as gifted -- he is soooooooooooooo immature and silly -- LOL

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#8 of 29 Old 02-12-2011, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

hey have you see the book list i have on my site (a complation of others i have loved):  http://scribinglife.wordpress.com/education/readling-list-for-preschool-and-kindergarten/  if i am missing any good book likst you love, pease alert me.

I love the playsilk link -- i need to look at that --

do you have a blog about the wet-on-wet painting or the other painting (beyond fingers, LOL) i have been trying to add more art in here. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxPerpetua View Post

I just bought our kindy stuff, Aimee, so I thought I'd post here what I foresee we'll be doing just to maybe give you some ideas as well as to take the pressure off of you feeling like you have to academics in kindy.  Blessings! http://canticlesbycandlelight.wordpress.com/2011/02/12/kindergarten-ready-set-go/ 

#9 of 29 Old 02-13-2011, 07:28 AM

My ds1 turned 5 in October, but we're in NY with a late kindy cutoff so this is his kindy year. My goals for him this year are:

Reading: I wanted to get him reading relatively fluently at the "Frog and Toad" level; we've met that goal by now and are working on increasing his stamina.

Math: To become more comfortable with addition and subtraction, begin to memorize some facts, tell time to the half-hour, skip count, and recognize coins. (We're having trouble with coins, but he's met the other goals.)

Handwriting: To write fairly legibly. My son has atrocious handwriting. This is mostly my fault, as I assumed it would just come naturally. I'm going to order HWT to work with him on this.

Everything else is just gravy at this age, IMO. But we have lots of gravy. orngbiggrin.gif

A, wife to R and mom to 3 boys: D~ 10/05, J~ 8/07, and B~ 12/09 jumpers.gif

#10 of 29 Old 02-13-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Aimee View Post

hey have you see the book list i have on my site (a complation of others i have loved):  http://scribinglife.wordpress.com/education/readling-list-for-preschool-and-kindergarten/  if i am missing any good book likst you love, pease alert me.

I love the playsilk link -- i need to look at that --

do you have a blog about the wet-on-wet painting or the other painting (beyond fingers, LOL) i have been trying to add more art in here. 

Quote:

Oh, somehow I have missed your booklist!  I'm going to bookmark it.  Thanks so much!

I'm going to do a wet-on-wet painting tutorial this week.  I'll pm you when I have it.  It's really quite easy.

#11 of 29 Old 02-14-2011, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

thanks Lex -- I need more art ....

#12 of 29 Old 02-14-2011, 02:56 PM

I would have responded earlier but we've been sick.  I've been spending long snuggle hours on the couch.  It was a perfect time to learn to crochet and plan kindy!!!

I found this neat website on CM if you haven't seen it before.  They have a free schedule and book list.  http://www.charlottemasonhelp.com/2009/07/books-and-schedules.html 

We are starting K on March 1st because clearly DD isn't PK anymore.  Why March 1st?  I just need time to plan and organize.  We are going to ease into K gently with the full swing of things starting next Oct.  Sept. is too big of a canning month for me to get much homeschool done so Oct. seems to work.  :) 

We have been doing unit studies which basically is books and crafts on a nature/holiday topic with a circle time to go with it. 

I'm extended those units to 2 weeks to go more in depth and spend more time.  In Waldorf preschool and Kindy repetition is the key.  I will be adding handiwork crafts to the units.  My goal is one handwork craft a unit.  That is where we are seriously lacking.  The K units will also include animal habitats using the earth^school units.  This will include a trip to that habitat when possible.  Luckily, Oregon has a lot of different habitats from ocean to glacier to forest to desert. 

I will be adding this book http://www.amazon.com/Language-Thinking-Young-Children-Beechick/dp/0880621524 to our language activities as well.  This is a book for oral language activities, something I'm lacking in.  I think too much in my head and not aloud to the children.

And we will add Family Math for math.  http://www.amazon.com/Family-Math-Young-Children-Comparing/dp/0912511273/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1297723407&sr=1-2

And the Earth*School Waldorf-inspired ABC Curriculum http://www.holdenslanding.com/pages.php?T=EarthSchool.  We will have a letter a week and read a few books whose title start with that letter. They have REALLY fun art activities here. 

I also am going to work more on oral telling of stories.  I need a lot of work at that.  We read a ton of books but I want to move to more oral.  My goal is a story a unit told orally with props.  Wish me luck. 

Science will be part of the units and is incorporated in living with nature. 

I need to figure out PE and/or meditation.  My DD gets hyper and that is her way to self-soothe.  I want to figure out a way for her to self-soothe without the hyperness.  Maybe I too need to work on using our yoga DVD's more. 

Aimee - if you are lacking in art you might check out Seasons of Joy.  Waldorf art is a little more tame than the art other people do.  It covers wet-on-wet painting, modeling, coloring projcts, and handiwork.  Oh, which makes me remember. For K I will be using Seasons of Joy more!!  http://naturalfamily.50megs.com/index.html  This is going to be my base for circles, stories, and story extensions. 

Co-creator, Joyful Wife, and Grateful Mama to angel3.gifenergy.gifand sleepytime.gif
#13 of 29 Old 02-14-2011, 05:43 PM
AAK

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

If you are expecting to hs throught elementary (if not further) I would take a look at where your son is at and write your goals from there.  

For example:  My five year old (sept will be kindy as well) knows her letters and sounds.  Rote counting through the 30s consistently, but then mixes up fifty for forty or something like that.  She can count objects correctly until she messes up the numbers.  She can write her numbers to 20.  She can do basic addition.  She is beginning to sound out cvc words and loves to try to "pull them apart" for spelling.  

So, my goals for her are to improve her reading skills.  I will get Singapore 1A and 1B.  Since she loves spelling, I will start AAS with her.  I will also use HWT and various mazes/hidden pictures/etc for brain puzzles.  Beyond that, my main goal is for her to have fun with "learning".  I want her to explore science is a somewhat more directed way.  We will take time to read books from and about different cultures and then find them on the map.  Etc, Etc, Etc.  I expect sit down learning to be 30 min a day.  Just a routine.  More if she wants.  Less some days.  Assuming she stays home for kindy--the jury is still out.  eyesroll.gif  

But, if she didn't know her sounds yet, or couldn't count, then my goals would reflect that.  And if she could already read well, or was ready for multiplication, my goals would reflect that.  

As far as the goals our local school district has, she has already met them except that she can't yet count and write to 100.  

Amy

mama*pisces likes this.

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#14 of 29 Old 02-14-2011, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

When DD was in kindergarten, my main goals were for her to continue to improve her reading skills (she was already a beginning reader), to learn how to use lower case letters and punctuation in her writing, to practice addition and subtraction (mostly just with numbers up to 10), to learn to recognize numerals up to 100, to learn about fractions, and to learn something about time telling, coins, and measuring with a ruler.

For other subjects, I didn't have any specific goals.  (Though I had to make up a few arbitrary ones for our state-required curriculum summary.)  I read lots of books to her - fiction, non-fiction, poetry, picture books, chapter books.  We read lots of books on science or social studies topics, and spent a lot of time outside catching and observing frogs, insects, etc.  We did some simple science experiments.  DD drew, made things out of paper, and did some simple sewing.  We went hiking, skating, swimming, etc.  DD tried skiing and learned to ride a bike. 

#15 of 29 Old 02-15-2011, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezer75 View Post

I would have responded earlier but we've been sick.  I've been spending long snuggle hours on the couch.  It was a perfect time to learn to crochet and plan kindy!!!

I found this neat website on CM if you haven't seen it before.  They have a free schedule and book list.  http://www.charlottemasonhelp.com/2009/07/books-and-schedules.html

We are starting K on March 1st because clearly DD isn't PK anymore.  Why March 1st?  I just need time to plan and organize.  We are going to ease into K gently with the full swing of things starting next Oct.  Sept. is too big of a canning month for me to get much homeschool done so Oct. seems to work.  :) 

We have been doing unit studies which basically is books and crafts on a nature/holiday topic with a circle time to go with it. 

I'm extended those units to 2 weeks to go more in depth and spend more time.  In Waldorf preschool and Kindy repetition is the key.  I will be adding handiwork crafts to the units.  My goal is one handwork craft a unit.  That is where we are seriously lacking.  The K units will also include animal habitats using the earth^school units.  This will include a trip to that habitat when possible.  Luckily, Oregon has a lot of different habitats from ocean to glacier to forest to desert. 

I will be adding this book http://www.amazon.com/Language-Thinking-Young-Children-Beechick/dp/0880621524 to our language activities as well.  This is a book for oral language activities, something I'm lacking in.  I think too much in my head and not aloud to the children.

And we will add Family Math for math.  http://www.amazon.com/Family-Math-Young-Children-Comparing/dp/0912511273/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1297723407&sr=1-2

And the Earth*School Waldorf-inspired ABC Curriculum http://www.holdenslanding.com/pages.php?T=EarthSchool.  We will have a letter a week and read a few books whose title start with that letter. They have REALLY fun art activities here. 

I also am going to work more on oral telling of stories.  I need a lot of work at that.  We read a ton of books but I want to move to more oral.  My goal is a story a unit told orally with props.  Wish me luck. 

Science will be part of the units and is incorporated in living with nature. 

I need to figure out PE and/or meditation.  My DD gets hyper and that is her way to self-soothe.  I want to figure out a way for her to self-soothe without the hyperness.  Maybe I too need to work on using our yoga DVD's more. 

Aimee - if you are lacking in art you might check out Seasons of Joy.  Waldorf art is a little more tame than the art other people do.  It covers wet-on-wet painting, modeling, coloring projcts, and handiwork.  Oh, which makes me remember. For K I will be using Seasons of Joy more!!  http://naturalfamily.50megs.com/index.html  This is going to be my base for circles, stories, and story extensions. 

LOL I had planned to start March 1 also -- but i have 2 sick ones here and have nothing done -- so i ma pushing back to April 1.  :)

for yoga -- i have this set for the boys http://www.amazon.com/Gaiam-Kids-Yogakids-Fun-Collection/dp/B000AYELBK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1297780011&sr=8-2-catcorr

and it has silly to calm -- and our PE is going to be mastering these 2 DVDs he also does yoga / Whis OT to teacfh self soothing.

#16 of 29 Old 02-15-2011, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

ok fair is fair -- here is my outline for kindy:  http://scribinglife.wordpress.com/2011/02/15/planning-kindergarten/ -- looking for your thoughts Allison: 

Quote:

#17 of 29 Old 02-15-2011, 11:13 PM

I'm going to look at your blog and I may be no help at all but I will share my thinking going into our K year and now as we move out.

We read great books and all but I didn't start anything at all academically until my kids turned six. That was almost year ago. I called that K starting then. I forgot about stuff like cub scouts so I told them they were first grade this fall but in reality we just kept plugging along.

My goals: They will enjoy learning/school. My number one goal was to make it positive. I hoped we would be handwriting (as in could write more than their names) and I hoped for some age appropriate reading. I hoped we would be done with Rightstart A. I hoped the history, science, art, music, literature, bible, etc. were fun and enjoyable--good experiences.

We're now almost (next month) at the year point and this is where we are:

1. They are reading above grade level. I'm glad I delayed that for many reasons. I identified some special issues with one child and, so, I'm also glad I didn't delay anymore than age six. I switched our reading program very quickly seeing one child with major issues (this guy can almost instantly memorize anything he sees...guess how he was learning to "read"....)

2. We're into our 1st grade math now so post-Rightstart A. I'm finding (well up until this week....) that my attention deficit special needs otherwise kid has been much easier to teach as he approaches seven years. I don't regret starting math in K mostly because of his brother. But for that kid I would have been just as well and, I think perhaps, better to wait.

3. They are able to write legibly. They write stories together. I doubt we're where the first grade kids around here are in public school by a bit yet but I'm fine with that.

4. They love school so I'm glad for that--this is due to those subjects I mentioned previously mostly.

I'm nervous as we go into some more remediation with one child and more deeply into spelling with both. Slug, slug....waiting until 7ish for that.

I looked at your blog. I am going to mention what we used specifically I think:
1. Reading--started w/Headsprout...bad choice for us and I regret the wasted money. Switched to I See Sam and teaching the phonograms in a Orton-Gillingham way (I found a great free resource along the lines of the Recipe for Reading book--which I used parts of but focused on reading first and now we're cycling back to spelling) and did some Gaydos readers, Progressive Phonics readers, and then reading real books i had selected based on reading levels and etc. I'm very happy with our progress there.

2. We used Handwriting Without Tears. I started at six as I said but it has been in the last few months that my ADD/other stuff/with fine motor issues kid has really blossomed. It's much easier now! i should have delayed with him likely and we would have got this far without the frustration I felt early on (not his frustration at all...he has fun no matter what he does...I was pulling my hair out). That said, I was starting to feel uncomfortable as most kids here learn to write in preschool and his twin was more than ready so I forged through.

3. We used Rightstart A (not pushy..still wish I would have delayed with the one child but it's so hard to balance the needs of both kids for me) and some MEP math (that one is free). I'm happy with Rightstart and MEP as well but we didn't use as much of that as I discovered it late and didn't want to use ink printing given the RightStart purchase.

4. We started with HOD and did half if it (the bible half) and then I had issues with the history materials. I switched then to do my own plans with the Core Knowledge Curriculum. This allowed me to tailor it to them (hands on to the maximum here) and add in those extras that were missing in HOD for me. I am using Karyn Henley bible materials now and my own stuff for all the rest. It's going great. It's also a lot of work and has spoiled us all in terms of being exactly what we need. I don't know if I'm up for this much work indefinitely!

5. We've done so many great chapter book read alouds that i get from various curriculum lists.

You may be tied a little more to needing to progress or scope and sequence (ie would Asian math be ok or not) if you're dual enrolling?

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#18 of 29 Old 02-16-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Aimee View Post

ok fair is fair -- here is my outline for kindy:  http://scribinglife.wordpress.com/2011/02/15/planning-kindergarten/ -- looking for your thoughts Allison: 

I just read your blog post, Aimee.  It sounds like you are taking a similar approach to us just with different resources.  Let me know how the phonics books work out for you.  We will not be doing any phonics until grade 1 (actually Waldorf doesn't do phonics at all but I wanted to do a bit of phonics if we needed it).  I need to start making my list of resources for then and I'm all ears for anything that works well!

I think you've got a fun year planned and it sounds like you've put a lot of thought and effort into it.  Would you mind telling me more about the Bible resources you use?  We have a Bible liturgy we do every evening for evening prayers where we read a Bible story from our children's Bible, sing hymns, and say prayers together as a family, but I like what you said about wanting to make the Bible come alive as a "whole" rather than as bits of stories.  One thing that has helped us a lot is by focusing on Advent and Lent as times to "live into" the Bible as the story of redemption, although, I will avoid the "fallen world" and "evil" discussion for a few more years.  I think it is essential that we explore that but not right now--I want dd to believe that the world is good at this point.

I can't wait to see how your year goes.  Best wishes!

#19 of 29 Old 02-16-2011, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1289925/christian-parents-that-are-doing-bible-as-a-core-subject-with-younger-kids-talk-to-me#post_16255653 this is thread about my seeking resources to use for our Bibel Core.

Basically desire for Bible to be a core subject for us, part of the reason they are at home.  BUT I feel they are too young for many "Bible Studies" AND also most Bible Stuides, that i have seen, kinda assume some concept of the BIBLE as a UNIT or TOTAL and as Speech of God -- so they more or less do not start at the start, if that makes sense. 

I am reading though the Bible, or trying to, start to end with Big Brother -- but it is still over his head in some part, or a lot of parts, it still seems like a collection of stories, rather and a comminucation for God for our lives.

I also want to start a daily devoptional -- fast, easy, active, with them.

I have not got the book, ordered it, can't vait to see it --i am hopeing to build a foundation. 

Quote:

I just read your blog post, Aimee.  It sounds like you are taking a similar approach to us just with different resources.  Let me know how the phonics books work out for you.  We will not be doing any phonics until grade 1 (actually Waldorf doesn't do phonics at all but I wanted to do a bit of phonics if we needed it).  I need to start making my list of resources for then and I'm all ears for anything that works well!

I think you've got a fun year planned and it sounds like you've put a lot of thought and effort into it.  Would you mind telling me more about the Bible resources you use?  We have a Bible liturgy we do every evening for evening prayers where we read a Bible story from our children's Bible, sing hymns, and say prayers together as a family, but I like what you said about wanting to make the Bible come alive as a "whole" rather than as bits of stories.  One thing that has helped us a lot is by focusing on Advent and Lent as times to "live into" the Bible as the story of redemption, although, I will avoid the "fallen world" and "evil" discussion for a few more years.  I think it is essential that we explore that but not right now--I want dd to believe that the world is good at this point.

I can't wait to see how your year goes.  Best wishes!

it is going to be an intresting year for both os us -- I'll tag along with you, you tag along with me :)

#20 of 29 Old 02-16-2011, 12:34 PM

We didn't do any structure for Kindy.  I did 100% unschooling for kindy with ODS.  My DD, who is almost 5, will likely want some structure however.  I'll figure that out closer to the time.  ODS managed to learn quite a but with unschooling.  Anything he was "behind" in took off in leaps in bounds in first grade.  I'm glad I waited until he was ready for more formal learning. 

#21 of 29 Old 02-19-2011, 08:18 AM

beezer75: I'm loving the looks of the Earth School curricula for my 2, thanks!!

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnamaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcrochetsmilie.gifblahblah.gifenergy.gifgoorganic.jpggd.gifteapot2.GIFbftoddler.giffamilybed2.gif

#22 of 29 Old 04-25-2011, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

thanks evyone -- all the help has been great.

I have our kindy choices picked out -- no daily or weekly plan yet though

http://scribinglife.wordpress.com/2011/04/25/our-chosenkindergarten-curriculum-final/

#23 of 29 Old 04-25-2011, 02:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

We're more structured for K than you're looking for I think, but we're finishing up K now. We're loosely following Catholic Heritage Curricula's K plans.

Our main goals were:

Learning to read - this was a big point of frustration for dd because she wanted to read so badly

Basic math {counting, numbers to 100, skip counting, some basic addition and subtraction} - we used Modern Curriculum Press Math K for this.

Handwriting - we used Catholic Heritage Curricula's K book for this. We liked it but it doesn't give a lot of practice unlike most programs

Religion / Catechism - we quickly abandoned the set program and just read stories for this.

Phonics  - we do this as a semi-separate subject from reading, as I believe Phonics to be VERY important.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#24 of 29 Old 04-26-2011, 05:26 AM

we're starting in K september and just will focus on:

letter recognition

number recognition

spelling whole name

learning to read basic words

nature

we're going to be taking the "free-schooling" approach

#25 of 29 Old 04-27-2011, 07:52 AM

For kindy with DS (just last year, wow), we did unit studies, each unit 2-3 weeks. We tried to incorporate all subjects (reading, math, language, science, and social studies) with each unit, but didn't sweat it if we couldn't do it. Units were things like "neighborhood helpers," "seasons," "water cycle," etc.

I think we also worked on math separately from the units.
#26 of 29 Old 05-09-2011, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Sarahtar - if my son does as well as your's I'll be very happy

#27 of 29 Old 05-09-2011, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

We didn't have our act together for Kindy.  I wish I would've spent our time just reading stories, doing Montessori activities (mostly self-care), playdates and learning to keep ourselves and our spaces clean and organized.  I'm sure that last part sounds horrible, but reading different philosophies (Montessori, Steinert) it's clear that these are things that need to be instilled early on; and I'm paying the price with my 7yo.  :(

We're a delayed academics family, too.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#28 of 29 Old 05-11-2011, 04:43 AM

Posted in your other thread but following on from Heather's post I'd really like to work on rhythm too smile.gif

Grateful mama striving to respect the two precious beings entrusted to me DD '06 and DS '09
#29 of 29 Old 05-11-2011, 10:22 AM

My DS has SN so our goals are sort of all over the place.  He's delayed in some areas (he is years behind socially and emotionally) but he's very into academics so he picked up many of the typical Kindy skills by 2.5.  At the same time, he's not ready to do much sit down type work, so Kindy hasn't been much different than his "preschool" year.  He's also a younger Kindy (just turned 6 a week ago) so that's another reason not to push. 

On the other hand, he started reading and spelling a bit about a year ago but it doesn't seem like he's made too much progress with reading since.  He's obviously ready, so I think we will spend the summer really focusing on reading.  There's a summer reading program through our library we'll likely join and I'm planning on getting Click-n-Read as soon as we can fit that into our budget.

Next year (which will probably be sort of a combo of K and 1st for us given his delays) I plan on starting FIAR, continuing with Click-n-Read (and possibly adding Click-n-Spell), and MEP for math.  It seems like he's sort of between reception and year 1, so I'm not sure what we'll start with.  I sort of dread printing out the reception year though because it looks like it would take a LOT of ink. redface.gif 

Carly [29] + DH [27] + DS [9]

TTC my second and his first!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page