Please help me talk myself into it or out of it: Math Mammoth. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-18-2011, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm one click away from purchasing the complete Math Mammoth curriculum (Light Blue series on CD)... So please talk me into it or out of it. They are having a sale right now, which means I can get 20% off of whatever I buy. My DD's going on 8, but she's a little behind in math because we've been primarily focusing on reading (which she was also behind in.) She has a basic understanding of many of the 1st grade concepts, but I think it would help her to go over everything again in a more consistent order. So since I'll be starting with the first curriculum anyway, I can't see why I shouldn't just go ahead and buy the whole thing. $100ish seems like pretty good deal for a math curriculum that goes through the 6th grade. Am I wrong? Am I right? Please share your shiny pennies. ♥

I'm me. In love with this guy. We're bringing up two girls: Big A (8) and Little A (3)

#2 of 12 Old 02-18-2011, 12:05 PM
AAK

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

I think $100 is a great deal.  However, if you haven't tried a sample page (at least) to see if the layout works for you. . . you might regret it later.  Also, don't forget printing costs.  Are you one to print EVERY page?  Or just the ones you need?  Could be a factor.

I love math mammoth, but haven't used a complete curriculum from them yet.  I have used subject specific workbooks and thought they were a great buy.  I only printed what we needed--and I can print it again for my subsequent children!

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#3 of 12 Old 02-18-2011, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

I'm more of the type to print out just what we need. I have downloaded the sample pages. They seem to work pretty well for us. Though, we've only done a few of the worksheets. I guess I also like the idea that I can use what I need/ want for my oldest, as well as use it again later for my youngest.

I'm me. In love with this guy. We're bringing up two girls: Big A (8) and Little A (3)

#4 of 12 Old 02-18-2011, 06:00 PM

Well, here's what I plan to do. I know it's 20% off right now at one place, but if you can wait one more month, in March, it is probably going to reach the 40% off mark at the Homeschool Buyers Co-op. (It isn't on sale yet, but I'm pretty positive it will reach that mark, it starts at 20%).

I want to get the entire Light Blue curriculum at the 40% off price. We already have 1A and 1B and in my opinion, spending under $20 on a year's worth of math, even if we only use it as a supplement, is very worth it.

We already have a primary math that we're happy with (RightStart), but having extra quality math worksheets for every topic is very reassuring.

- Angela
mama homeschooling Satori, dd6 in the beautiful CO Rockies
#5 of 12 Old 02-19-2011, 04:32 PM

I bought the cd from homeschool buyer's co-op at 40% off - LOVE it, very happy with it!

Amy & DH, homeschooling Mama to
DD 9 love.gif DS 7 yrs   
#6 of 12 Old 02-19-2011, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses! It sounds like the best course of action would be to wait and see if they run it at 40% on the Homeschool Buyers Co-op. Is there any reason why I would not be able to use this as a primary math curriculum?

#7 of 12 Old 02-20-2011, 07:53 AM
AAK

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybaby333 View Post
 Is there any reason why I would not be able to use this as a primary math curriculum?

Nope, the light blue series is a complete curriculum.  You can compare topics with other math programs and find them very similar.  Singapore, (for example) runs a little "ahead" level wise.  They do the multiplication tables in the 2A/2B books, where math mammoth focuses on them in grade 3.  But, lots of people say that Singapore 2A/2B is grade three.  Regardless, math mammoth does a great job of covering all topics.  I am contemplating a switch to it. 

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 
#8 of 12 Old 02-20-2011, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I guess we'll just play games and use a combination of some cheap workbooks and the Math Mammoth samples, until the Homeschool Buyers Co-op runs the sale. :)

#9 of 12 Old 02-20-2011, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

They now sell 1-3 and 4-6 packages at the same 33% discount as the 1-6 package. 1-3 seems like it would be a good option if you aren't yet sure it will work for you.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#10 of 12 Old 02-20-2011, 05:30 PM

Can someone tell me more about this Homeschool Buyers Co-op thing?  Does it have a website or is it a group that you join? I've never heard of this.

Allison:  a little bit Waldorf, a little bit Medievalish, and always"MOMMMMYYYY!" to sweet Cecily since 12.22.05
#11 of 12 Old 02-20-2011, 06:50 PM

Just a quick note to say that we've used MM for 2.5 years and really love it.  And it actually goes on sale pretty often, so don't feel like this is you one and only chance.  There are usually several sales through the website as well as the HS CoOp.  

The program itself is not fancy, but we've found it both rigorous and fun! 

#12 of 12 Old 02-21-2011, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxPerpetua View Post

Can someone tell me more about this Homeschool Buyers Co-op thing?  Does it have a website or is it a group that you join? I've never heard of this.

http://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/

You join through the website. Joining is free. They send out emails about current group buys, or you can see them on the website.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page