Mothering Forum banner

Please help me talk myself into it or out of it: Math Mammoth.

850 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  ocelotmom 
#1 ·
I'm one click away from purchasing the complete Math Mammoth curriculum (Light Blue series on CD)... So please talk me into it or out of it. They are having a sale right now, which means I can get 20% off of whatever I buy. My DD's going on 8, but she's a little behind in math because we've been primarily focusing on reading (which she was also behind in.) She has a basic understanding of many of the 1st grade concepts, but I think it would help her to go over everything again in a more consistent order. So since I'll be starting with the first curriculum anyway, I can't see why I shouldn't just go ahead and buy the whole thing. $100ish seems like pretty good deal for a math curriculum that goes through the 6th grade. Am I wrong? Am I right? Please share your shiny pennies. ♥

#2 ·
I think $100 is a great deal. However, if you haven't tried a sample page (at least) to see if the layout works for you. . . you might regret it later. Also, don't forget printing costs. Are you one to print EVERY page? Or just the ones you need? Could be a factor.

I love math mammoth, but haven't used a complete curriculum from them yet. I have used subject specific workbooks and thought they were a great buy. I only printed what we needed--and I can print it again for my subsequent children!

Amy

#3 ·
I'm more of the type to print out just what we need. I have downloaded the sample pages. They seem to work pretty well for us. Though, we've only done a few of the worksheets. I guess I also like the idea that I can use what I need/ want for my oldest, as well as use it again later for my youngest.

#4 ·
Well, here's what I plan to do. I know it's 20% off right now at one place, but if you can wait one more month, in March, it is probably going to reach the 40% off mark at the Homeschool Buyers Co-op. (It isn't on sale yet, but I'm pretty positive it will reach that mark, it starts at 20%).

I want to get the entire Light Blue curriculum at the 40% off price. We already have 1A and 1B and in my opinion, spending under $20 on a year's worth of math, even if we only use it as a supplement, is very worth it.

We already have a primary math that we're happy with (RightStart), but having extra quality math worksheets for every topic is very reassuring.

#6 ·
Thanks for the responses! It sounds like the best course of action would be to wait and see if they run it at 40% on the Homeschool Buyers Co-op. Is there any reason why I would not be able to use this as a primary math curriculum?

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmybaby333 View Post
Is there any reason why I would not be able to use this as a primary math curriculum?
Nope, the light blue series is a complete curriculum. You can compare topics with other math programs and find them very similar. Singapore, (for example) runs a little "ahead" level wise. They do the multiplication tables in the 2A/2B books, where math mammoth focuses on them in grade 3. But, lots of people say that Singapore 2A/2B is grade three. Regardless, math mammoth does a great job of covering all topics. I am contemplating a switch to it.

Amy

#11 ·
Just a quick note to say that we've used MM for 2.5 years and really love it. And it actually goes on sale pretty often, so don't feel like this is you one and only chance. There are usually several sales through the website as well as the HS CoOp.

The program itself is not fancy, but we've found it both rigorous and fun!

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxPerpetua View Post

Can someone tell me more about this Homeschool Buyers Co-op thing? Does it have a website or is it a group that you join? I've never heard of this.
http://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/

You join through the website. Joining is free. They send out emails about current group buys, or you can see them on the website.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.