Seems a lot quieter here these days! Anyone know why? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 54 Old 03-08-2011, 01:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I tend to just lurk, but, I also find that I like the Homeschooling Board on BBC.  Very eclectic mix, as well....

NishaG momsling.GIF - Wife to Big K for 20 years - Mama to KJ and KC, and our 1st baby girl, KS, born 1/20/12 familybed1.gif diaper.gif!

#32 of 54 Old 03-08-2011, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NishaG View Post

I tend to just lurk, but, I also find that I like the Homeschooling Board on BBC.  Very eclectic mix, as well....

Never heard of this one. Where is it?

#33 of 54 Old 03-08-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammyw View Post

Never heard of this one. Where is it?

Babycenter.com

NishaG momsling.GIF - Wife to Big K for 20 years - Mama to KJ and KC, and our 1st baby girl, KS, born 1/20/12 familybed1.gif diaper.gif!

#34 of 54 Old 03-13-2011, 07:48 AM

I dont come here much anymore for various reasons.  Most of them have been addressed to some degree already in this thread.  I dont think it is just this sub-forum either as another poster said.  A lot of people are leaving MDC altogether.

mother, wife, lover of life.
#35 of 54 Old 03-13-2011, 10:08 AM

This particular HS forum is the most diverse, inclusive, tolerant that I have found anywhere.

Unfortunately I don't spend much time here anymore because the new format gives me eye strain leading to aching eyes and a headache. 

I have shared this complaint with the admins.

Greenmama2 likes this.

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#36 of 54 Old 03-13-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambersrose View Post

I dont come here much anymore for various reasons.  Most of them have been addressed to some degree already in this thread.  I dont think it is just this sub-forum either as another poster said.  A lot of people are leaving MDC altogether.

I also suspect this.  greensad.gif  I am very sad about it. 

I believe that if the complaints have slowed down it is not because anyone has gotten used to it...they have given up and found other places to spend their online time. 

#37 of 54 Old 03-13-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laundrycrisis View Post

I also suspect this.  greensad.gif  I am very sad about it. 

I believe that if the complaints have slowed down it is not because anyone has gotten used to it...they have given up and found other places to spend their online time

bingo -- complaining does no good

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#38 of 54 Old 03-13-2011, 05:42 PM
Dar

A lot of thing have changed here lately because of "complaints" (or helpful suggestions, which is kind of how I prefer to think about it).
Here's a thread about some of them. We also got co-ops going again a few weeks ago. joy.gif

I know it's frustrating to have to wait, though... but eventually I think everything will be better than it was.

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#39 of 54 Old 03-13-2011, 08:03 PM

I don't post much anyway, but the new format is hard to navigate, starting a new thread is a nightmare, it's slow, and I hate the spell check.  Those are kind of petty reasons, but certainly are one of the reasons I don't come here much.    This forum was very helpful when we first started home schooling and I'm very grateful.

#40 of 54 Old 03-13-2011, 10:37 PM

Well... after several failed attempts to use the multi-quote function - yet again- I'll just copy and paste confused.gif

"This particular HS forum is the most diverse, inclusive, tolerant that I have found anywhere."

Really? I feel the complete opposite, particularly as an "unschooler".

My heart sank while reading several posts in this thread. The same can be said for "traditional homeschoolers" as is being said about "radical unschoolers". I came here to commune with people who are home educating and was attracted to the thread title since in the last couple of years things seem to have changed around here board wide. Instead of like minds discussing, I found a thread where I felt threatened and uncomfortable- not to mention unwelcome. I don't think it has much to do with the demonized unschoolers and their "rediculous" opinions or supposedly "pushy" comments and suggestions. Have any of you ever stopped to think that when someone shares their thoughts with you about a possible switch in homeschooling style, that it may be GENUINE??? We are not all idiots that let our kids just sit in front of the stupid tube all day long. We, specifically, don't even have cable. I digress, being that this thread was supposed to be about WHY the board here is so quiet, why the repeated attack on unschoolers? Do all of you truly believe that THAT is the reason why the boards have slowed so drastically? It has been happening for quite some time and there are loads of reasons. It's not because of snarky unschoolers. If you think so, then you are contributing to an identical issue.All are certainly entitled to an opinion, the reason I'm sharing mine ( while probably violating the UA in some way I'm unaware of) but using an irrelevant topic to start a group attack seems no bueno, at least to me. This makes me so sad. I've been on this board a long time and I remember the days when diversity was celebrated and all were respected, welcomed and loved. Differences were an opportunity to consider something new and sharing was encouraged. What's with all this high horse competitive mommy war garbage?? There is PLENTY to be shared between the traditional hsing and unschooling communities. We may or may not agree all the time, but why not at least have open minds to consider eachother kindly.

This, btw, is my first visit to the homeschooling/unschooling area of the board in over a year.

"I also suspect this.  greensad.gif  I am very sad about it." 

"I believe that if the complaints have slowed down it is not because anyone has gotten used to it...they have given up and found other places to spend their online time."

I agree with both of these thoughts for a wide variety of reasons that I feel I can't even discuss. Things are just not quite the same these days.

Ima to Mizz.Jonas- 14, Isman- 12,Javsar- 9, Nani Gweesa- 4 and Baby Micah born into the Universe sleeping at full term Oct. 19th 2008 and Partner to Abba ~ belly.gif8/2011  Grateful to be Dead  broc1.gif
#41 of 54 Old 03-13-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizawill View Post

it's TWTM forum, i swear.  i'm not even a classical homeschooler, but so many of the moms there follow many of the same things we use.  i crossed over & find myself there often to read about homeschooling.  this is my favorite forum though. i love MDC & feel most like-minded and connected to the ladies here.  i still frequent other forums here... but i do wish the homeschooling forum was more active. this is my favorite choice for sure.

I am a snarky unschooler (shock, horro!) but I find TWTM forums useful too. I just choose what I read carefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lach View Post I feel like there used to be more of a mix, and now I feel like every single question that isn't about unschooling is about fundamentalist Christian curricula.  I guess all my secular homies went over to the secular homeschooling board, which makes sense now.  That board's been up for a while, but nobody ever posted on it.

I agree. I've never heard of the secular homeschooling board though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgianforti View Post

The new format is waaaay too annoying to spend time trying to post a lot!

Yeah that! It's really bothersome.

Grateful mama striving to respect the two precious beings entrusted to me DD '06 and DS '09
#42 of 54 Old 03-14-2011, 08:20 AM

I believe the new format is the problem. It is very, very slow for me. If I had babies no way would I have the time or patience to post here.

#43 of 54 Old 03-14-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roar View Post

I believe the new format is the problem. It is very, very slow for me. If I had babies no way would I have the time or patience to post here.

It's slow for me too.  I haven't said anything about it because I thought it was just my old computer.  Has definitely kept me off the site more, even without posting much.

#44 of 54 Old 03-14-2011, 08:58 AM
Dar

Here's a thread from Q&S where speed issues were discussed. Cliff Notes version: Some people have found that turning avatars off made the site load a lot faster, and just a week or so ago Cynthia posted about asking Huddler for some speed optimization improvements.

Also, I found that switching myself from Rich Text to BB Code Editor (under account details on my profile page, which is the same place you'd turn off avatars) has made things a lot less frustrating. Firefox's spellcheck works the way it did before the changeover, I can use text for smileys rather than clicking on them, the quotes show up with BB text rather than those pre-formatted text boxes... I just like it better. It may be faster, too....

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#45 of 54 Old 03-14-2011, 01:44 PM

I made the two changes you suggested. If feels a tiny bit faster, but still slower than it should be. I hope they continue to look at ways to improve the speed.
#46 of 54 Old 03-14-2011, 06:25 PM

I used to visit MDC quite a bit and read many of the threads in the homeschooling section, but you can count me in with those that slowed down or stopped with the change over.  I don't know that it's the format necessarily.  Mostly I think that MDC just stopped feeling like home.  Some of it is the ads which weren't quite so bad in the old forum and the rest?  Hard to pick one thing or another that did it.  Having three children probably plays a role as well.

For homeschooling I typically visit the Secular Homeschool board more often than here.  It's on the vBulletin platform which probably helps and the ads aren't blinking or flashing or moving in any way which I much prefer.  It's a little bit sad, though, because now that Mothering has ceased publication of the magazine it's more difficult to stay connected with the site.  These days I'm just more likely to go elsewhere.

#47 of 54 Old 03-15-2011, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampered_mom View Post

For homeschooling I typically visit the Secular Homeschool board more often than here.  It's on the vBulletin platform which probably helps and the ads aren't blinking or flashing or moving in any way which I much prefer.  It's a little bit sad, though, because now that Mothering has ceased publication of the magazine it's more difficult to stay connected with the site.  These days I'm just more likely to go elsewhere.

I love vBulletin

Grateful mama striving to respect the two precious beings entrusted to me DD '06 and DS '09
#48 of 54 Old 03-15-2011, 10:20 AM

The animated ads crash my old computer frequently.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#49 of 54 Old 03-15-2011, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

It's so sad to hear that not only this section but others are much less active. I may not frequent the other areas that much at this time, but I like knowing that there is a supportive place to go when I need advice or tips on natural living. I know when I heard the magazine was no longer to be published it broke my heart. As a new mom eight years ago, I found the magazine to be so helpful and supportive (and what brought me to this place). I liked that this was a place that aligned with my feelings on circumcision, breastfeeding, vaccines, etc. (and helped me to find answers when I needed more information). And of course then we got into home education and this was the perfect place for us. 

I think it will be / IS a great loss, and it seems there really is nothing to take its place (the entire community, not just this one). What a shame :(

#50 of 54 Old 03-15-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammyw View Post
As a new mom eight years ago, I found the magazine to be so helpful and supportive (and what brought me to this place). I liked that this was a place that aligned with my feelings on circumcision, breastfeeding, vaccines, etc. (and helped me to find answers when I needed more information). And of course then we got into home education and this was the perfect place for us. 

I think it will be / IS a great loss, and it seems there really is nothing to take its place (the entire community, not just this one). What a shame :(

I used to practically patrol my mailbox when I was pregnant and for years afterward when a Mothering was issue was due to arrive - very fond memories of a wonderful support resource. And to have had something like this forum in those days would have been heaven. I hope there will be a turnaround before long - there's no place like MDC.

For a magazine now, though, those who haven't yet familiarized themselves with Natural Life Magazine might want to take a look at their website - it's the magazine that will be fulfilling the remainder of the Mothering subscriptions, and their Life Learning articles are wonderful.   - Lillian

#51 of 54 Old 03-15-2011, 10:27 PM

Oh my goodness lasts you just shattered my world, they aren't publishing mothering anymore!? Is that just a green thing? Moving it to only online or is it going away entirely?!!

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#52 of 54 Old 03-16-2011, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar View Post

Also, I found that switching myself from Rich Text to BB Code Editor (under account details on my profile page, which is the same place you'd turn off avatars) has made things a lot less frustrating. Firefox's spellcheck works the way it did before the changeover, I can use text for smileys rather than clicking on them, the quotes show up with BB text rather than those pre-formatted text boxes... I just like it better. It may be faster, too....

This saved me! Thanks much because replying really was not cool with that other editor. I need Firefox spell check!
Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxravnos View Post

Oh my goodness lasts you just shattered my world, they aren't publishing mothering anymore!? Is that just a green thing? Moving it to only online or is it going away entirely?!!

They stopped completely! greensad.gif

Sarah :c) ~ love.gif Emily (8) orngbiggrin.gif  Toby (5) angel2.gif Bean (7/2012)

#53 of 54 Old 03-16-2011, 12:59 AM

A change that is helping me this morning is to zoom waaaaay in with my browser.  That makes everything bigger and darker.  Now there is a lot of more whitespace to deal with, which sort of makes me dizzy to scroll through, but at least my eyes don't ache.  I do not need to do this with any other forums, just this one.

#54 of 54 Old 03-16-2011, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxravnos View Post

http://mothering.com/peggyomara/qpeditorials/how-we-became-a-web-company

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page